On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 19
 Siren.Scottyb
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2013-03-20 11:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey I was just wondering how useful an Arka I is for whm, I wasnt sure if the cast time applies to cures and if it does whether or not its worth making.

Whm is my main job and I use it for most of the difficult stuff I do so if its worth it then I'd look into it.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-20 15:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Scottyb said: »
Hey I was just wondering how useful an Arka I is for whm, I wasnt sure if the cast time applies to cures and if it does whether or not its worth making.

Whm is my main job and I use it for most of the difficult stuff I do so if its worth it then I'd look into it.

I would personally take the time to do it if you're a careet WHM. Arka I acts as a fast cast piece for the majority of a WHM's spellbook and it's hard to beat that much Fast Cast in a single slot. It would probably free up one or two slots of gear for your pre-cast Cure set and it's a nice bonus for any nuking set you might have assembled.

ItemSet 285991

72% Light Healing Magic skill Cast time reduction, basically incredibly fast even without Cure cast time merits involved. And than you can drop all your Cure Cast time pieces and have a good generic set for the remainder of your spells.
 Siren.Scottyb
user: scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2013-03-20 15:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool, so the staff and the +2 whm pants are enough to cap healing magic (assuming full merits, which I have)?
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-20 17:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Scottyb said: »
Cool, so the staff and the +2 whm pants are enough to cap healing magic (assuming full merits, which I have)?

Each cure spell has a slightly different casting time, so milage with that set and merits will be dependent on the spell. Overall, I find 75% is more than sufficient (with occasional bad swaps due to lag), so take what you will from it.

Merits + Staff + AF3+2 legs is only 46% fast cast, so you will need to compliment it with other types of gear to reach that high end threshold.
 Odin.Calipso
Server: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2013-03-23 21:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to nitpick too much, but this is the -enmity set I use if I feel like I need it. My zenith pumps have cure potency +3 and +5 healing magic skill on them.

ItemSet 293892

It's also possible to cap enhancing magic at 500 w/o a scholar sub (I personally prefer rdm, but to each their own) if you want to go nuts retrying for an augmented Aptus Earring.

You can also precast in a Genbu's shield if you have it augmented with -Cure casting time, if you're too lazy like me to make an Arka I.

I don't think you mentioned Marduk's Jubbah+1 for refresh! It has 2/tick, and if you have a hairpin lying around it's the same 3/tick as Heka's+Hat, plus it looks nicer >:D

PS: Your avatar is awesome!
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-03-24 15:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

+1 just for that opening picture'
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-24 20:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Calipso said: »
Not to nitpick too much, but this is the -enmity set I use if I feel like I need it. My zenith pumps have cure potency +3 and +5 healing magic skill on them.

ItemSet 293892

It's also possible to cap enhancing magic at 500 w/o a scholar sub (I personally prefer rdm, but to each their own) if you want to go nuts retrying for an augmented Aptus Earring.

You can also precast in a Genbu's shield if you have it augmented with -Cure casting time, if you're too lazy like me to make an Arka I.

I don't think you mentioned Marduk's Jubbah+1 for refresh! It has 2/tick, and if you have a hairpin lying around it's the same 3/tick as Heka's+Hat, plus it looks nicer >:D

PS: Your avatar is awesome!

Added Aptus Earring, Genbu's Shield, and Marduk's Jubbah +1 as alternatives in their respective sections. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll put together a small enmity down set to compliment a heal set in due time I think, since it's been requested more than a few times now. Give me a bit to work on something as I've been quite busy.

In terms of /RDM, if that suits your fancy, go for it! I've had it mentioned as a PM as well, and if it matches your play style better, go for it. I'm personally inclined to use /RDM if I ever acquire a Yagrush, actually... but I'll cross that bridge if I ever get that far in my WHM career.

I'm glad people likes the pictures/avatars though ^_^ Thank ya!
 Asura.Nanabi
Server: Asura
user: Nanabi
By Asura.Nanabi 2013-03-25 14:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

just want to thank you for your contribution to the FFXI community, people like yourself and Proth and Sylow are the reason I and many others are decent in what we are doing. Never knew I can be more to a front line mage and take away zombie by AoE with misery up.

Thank you thank you thank you!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-27 11:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You're welcome ^^

Items of note with the SoA update thus far:

Depending on the rarity, decent exceptionally high damage club for any aspiring WHM DD.

Haste, Attack, and Accuracy all in one go. Not as effective in the damage or accuracy catagory as a STR or DEX club, but good all around purpose club that (again, depending on rarirty of materials), can be a decent off hand for any aspiriing WHM DD. The Haste may still allow for some changes to some sets.

Highest MND value in the game, and a decent accuracy stat to boot. I would probably take this over Marduk's crackows +1 in sets relying on MND.

[EDIT]

9 MND, highest in that slot, can't go wrong here for that.
[+]
 Valefor.Thelaughingman
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Thelaughingman 2013-03-27 16:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
You're welcome ^^

Depending on the rarity, decent exceptionally high damage club for any aspiring WHM DD.

RIP Gambanteinn. You were always kinda shitty outside of extremely niche situations, and now you're shittier by comparison at level 90, the maximum level that I'd be willing to take you. Even at 95 you're beaten by this thing, however it is obtained.

I have doubts SE will even try to keep the Empyrean club remotely relevant at level 90.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-28 11:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

90 Gambanteinn is still fairly easy to obtain, so it shouldn't be taken off consideration entirely yet.

It if actually had a decently damaging WS instead of what it is now, it would definitely be a better contender though.

Updated items sets in the guide to reflect some of the new equipment. Mostly modified anything MND based as there are a few new high MND pieces in this set. Optimal enfeebles (MND max + hybrid) have been adjusted and the Curaga set adjusted with the new neck piece in mind.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-04-01 13:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

~Bumps~

Orvail pants is reported 5% Fast Cast. Updated Fast Cast and Recast sets to reflect this information.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-04-01 13:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Thelaughingman said: »
You're welcome ^^

RIP Gambanteinn. You were always kinda shitty outside of extremely niche situations, and now you're shittier by comparison at level 90, the maximum level that I'd be willing to take you. Even at 95 you're beaten by this thing, however it is obtained.

I have doubts SE will even try to keep the Empyrean club remotely relevant at level 90.
I was so disappointed with Gambanteinn I didn't even 90 it ._.;;;
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-04-01 13:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Valefor.Thelaughingman said: »
You're welcome ^^

I was so disappointed with Gambanteinn I didn't even 90 it ._.;;;

I still haven't 90'd it myself, actually. I only wanted it for it's incredibly niche (but fun!) uses at 90. Silence Auras, eat your heart out. I got WS' that can heal myself!
 Phoenix.Bohgo
Server: Phoenix
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2013-04-03 10:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Gambanteinn and Genbu's Shield(with HP augment) is a decent combo for a max sublimation set if you don't have room for Bloodbead Ecu, Salubrious, Plenitas, etc. I just had to find some use for the club after putting in the effort :(
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-13 22:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

under the cure efficiency information
under cure VI with afflatus solace and orison body +2 it says stoneskin effect 463 hp, but itsn't the cap 400 ?
[+]
 Leviathan.Fosco
Server: Leviathan
user: Fosco
By Leviathan.Fosco 2013-04-18 12:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Every time I come here and Part Six still isn't updated, a little piece of me dies...
[+]
 Cerberus.Corphish
Server: Cerberus
user: Lobster
By Cerberus.Corphish 2013-04-24 03:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Auspice
Another simple enhancing spell, this buff provides a Subtle Blow effect for the White Mage and all party members within 10 yalms. The base bonus is +10 Subtle Blow and can be boosted to +20 when equipped with Orison Duckbills +2. Be cautious when using this spell as it does override a Paladin’s En-light and a Dark Knight’s En-dark spells. Also, the spell loses its’ effectiveness in an zerg scenario as there is so much TP feed that the Subtle Blow is useless. Where Auspice excels is any low man or non-zerg content.
I'm not sure I'm understanding this part. The enlight effect is exclusive to the White Mage with Misery active, as is Enlight to a Paladin, and Endark to a Dark Knight. They shouldn't be conflicting with each other. I guess I'm confused because of how it's worded, like the Subtle Blow effect overwrites the En-spells, which doesn't sound right. Perhaps it should mention that while under the effects of Afflatus Misery, the White Mage is granted a first-hit enlight effect.
 Carbuncle.Ghishlain
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Ghishlain 2013-04-24 08:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
under the cure efficiency information
under cure VI with afflatus solace and orison body +2 it says stoneskin effect 463 hp, but itsn't the cap 400 ?

Checked BG Wiki, saw there was no information. Checked FFXI Wikia, found information! Shall adjust in a bit.

EDIT: As an addendum to this, I adjusted this for completions sake. I do not recommend using Cure VI in anywhere (even on a MNK target) BUT Abyssea (and even than, used sparingly). The spell itself is just so inefficient that there are only very select niches of use for it (~Coughs~ASAFinalFightWHMSolos~Coughs~)

Leviathan.Fosco said: »
Every time I come here and Part Six still isn't updated, a little piece of me dies...

Sorry, I've been busy ^^;.... Work has been hectic.

Cerberus.Corphish said: »
Auspice
Another simple enhancing spell, this buff provides a Subtle Blow effect for the White Mage and all party members within 10 yalms. The base bonus is +10 Subtle Blow and can be boosted to +20 when equipped with Orison Duckbills +2. Be cautious when using this spell as it does override a Paladin’s En-light and a Dark Knight’s En-dark spells. Also, the spell loses its’ effectiveness in an zerg scenario as there is so much TP feed that the Subtle Blow is useless. Where Auspice excels is any low man or non-zerg content.
I'm not sure I'm understanding this part. The enlight effect is exclusive to the White Mage with Misery active, as is Enlight to a Paladin, and Endark to a Dark Knight. They shouldn't be conflicting with each other. I guess I'm confused because of how it's worded, like the Subtle Blow effect overwrites the En-spells, which doesn't sound right. Perhaps it should mention that while under the effects of Afflatus Misery, the White Mage is granted a first-hit enlight effect.

Auspice is a buff that overwrites the Enlight buff on PLDs and Endark buff on DRKs (likewise, they will overwrite Auspice when reapplied). Therefore, it is possible for a WHM to accidently overwrite the buffs of the above two classes by casting Auspice (why this happens though, I'm not sure)

I adjusted that bit of the document for clarity, hopefully that makes more sense now.

----

Small adjustments to the guide from an earlier edit:

Orvail corona added as a simple to acquire alternative on MND based enfeebling and I rank it fairly high up there (I would call it second best or third best head piece for that catagory ATM).

xux hat added on the max accuracy enfeebling item list as it literally is the best. I'm debating adding it to the hybrid set as it has less MND but more MACC. I think the better call might be let the player decide in this case. I personally will stick with Hyaline as my set is okay as is, and I like having the utility of a Fast Cast head + enfeebling head + WS head all in one go =D
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-26 11:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ghishlain said: »
EDIT: As an addendum to this, I adjusted this for completions sake. I do not recommend using Cure VI in anywhere (even on a MNK target) BUT Abyssea (and even than, used sparingly). The spell itself is just so inefficient that there are only very select niches of use for it (~Coughs~ASAFinalFightWHMSolos~Coughs~)

this kinda make me think that whm is starting to get kinda meh'ish for a pocket healer/backline buffer
if we remove cure 5 and 6 what does whm offer over sch ?

cure 4 vs cure 4
bad regn vs good regen
haste vs haste (/rdm or /whm
-na vs -na spells (addnedum white)
boost spells better then weather effect with stats boost i guess
both get bar speslls if sch is /whm

still sch get the massive boost of strateagems liek raptur to make big cure nukes
much better mp gain ( especially /rdm)

i guess they loose afflitus solace stoneskin

im about to finish my yagrush and kinda regretting doing whm and not sch for my pocket healer
 Carbuncle.Ghishlain
By Carbuncle.Ghishlain 2013-04-26 11:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

this kinda make me think that whm is starting to get kinda meh'ish for a pocket healer/backline buffer
if we remove cure 5 and 6 what does whm offer over sch ?

cure 4 vs cure 4
bad regn vs good regen
haste vs haste (/rdm or /whm
-na vs -na spells (addnedum white)
boost spells better then weather effect with stats boost i guess
both get bar speslls if sch is /whm

still sch get the massive boost of strateagems liek raptur to make big cure nukes
much better mp gain ( especially /rdm)

i guess they loose afflitus solace stoneskin

im about to finish my yagrush and kinda regretting doing whm and not sch for my pocket healer

WHM Cures tend to be more MP efficient because of the fact that we basically have a permanent Penury on all our Cure IIIs, and IVs thanks for Orison Pantaloons +2. Also, the extra stoneskin from Cures on Afflatus Solace + Orison Bliaud +2 basically compensates for our lack of Aurorastorm (and WHMs can carry around that gear set as well for niche uses).

SCH does have the longevity thanks to Sublimation alone though, and Regen tends to work better for long drawn events of low damage over versus huge spike damage TP moves where WHM excels at.

My best advice is go with what you feel comfortable. With the prevalence of AoE Enfeebles, a Yagrush is not a bad investment at all. There have been a ton of occasions where I wish I had a Yagrush in end game events. Don't discount a Yagrush for lowman pocket muling either. Yagrush + Divine Caress = absolute insane enfeelbe mitigation and should not be taken lightly. Also, no one can remove status effects as effectively as a WHM either thanks to Sacrifice and Esuna in their spell list.

As you've mentioned, WHM shines in both the Boost department and Enhancing in general. Though SCH has one of the best Enhancing spells in the game due to Embrava, WHM Enhancing Magic can be layered for additional bonuses and effects. +25 STR is a huge boost to most DDs and having super Bar-elemental spells can mitigate damage greatly (especially since those Bar-elements can also have MDB attached to it).

WHM does excel in events with high damage number flying about everywhere. Does it mean they can't keep up with low man scenarios? No, of course not, they just need to work a bit harder to stay efficient in those scenarios. Exceptional use of Cura and Esuna in the right scenarios can help mitigate that hump.

Don't discount WHMs outta the equation yet. They have the tools; they just need the right mindset to be wielded properly.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2013-04-26 12:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Seconded! Although I can patiently wait. Take your time, you don't want the math wizards to hammer you down
 Carbuncle.Ghishlain
By Carbuncle.Ghishlain 2013-04-26 12:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Josiahfk said: »
Phoenix.Bohgo said: »
Gambanteinn and Genbu's Shield(with HP augment) is a decent combo for a max sublimation set if you don't have room for Bloodbead Ecu, Salubrious, Plenitas, etc. I just had to find some use for the club after putting in the effort :(
it's got plenty of utility if you solo whm, like soloing iratham for a friend's clear etc

This is going to sound so arrogant and narcissistic, but I feel like I inspired this ^^;.... ~Hides~

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »

Seconded! Although I can patiently wait. Take your time, you don't want the math wizards to hammer you down

I actually don't mind being hammered by the math wizards. I will be the first to admit that I don't have any true-DD job leveled and my knowledge about combat is rudimentary at best. I do enough of DDing to know what 'works' for myself, but that may not translate into what works for others. Nonetheless, I still want to put the section together for everyone's knowledge.

I will be making explicit use of the spreadsheet to determine what values to expect. Hopefully it translate into something well off ^^;
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-26 13:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM Cures tend to be more MP efficient because of the fact that we basically have a permanent Penury on all our Cure IIIs, and IVs thanks for Orison Pantaloons +2. Also, the extra stoneskin from Cures on Afflatus Solace + Orison Bliaud +2 basically compensates for our lack of Aurorastorm (and WHMs can carry around that gear set as well for niche uses).

SCH does have the longevity thanks to Sublimation alone though, and Regen tends to work better for long drawn events of low damage over versus huge spike damage TP moves where WHM excels at.

My best advice is go with what you feel comfortable. With the prevalence of AoE Enfeebles, a Yagrush is not a bad investment at all. There have been a ton of occasions where I wish I had a Yagrush in end game events. Don't discount a Yagrush for lowman pocket muling either. Yagrush + Divine Caress = absolute insane enfeelbe mitigation and should not be taken lightly. Also, no one can remove status effects as effectively as a WHM either thanks to Sacrifice and Esuna in their spell list.

As you've mentioned, WHM shines in both the Boost department and Enhancing in general. Though SCH has one of the best Enhancing spells in the game due to Embrava, WHM Enhancing Magic can be layered for additional bonuses and effects. +25 STR is a huge boost to most DDs and having super Bar-elemental spells can mitigate damage greatly (especially since those Bar-elements can also have MDB attached to it).

WHM does excel in events with high damage number flying about everywhere. Does it mean they can't keep up with low man scenarios? No, of course not, they just need to work a bit harder to stay efficient in those scenarios. Exceptional use of Cura and Esuna in the right scenarios can help mitigate that hump.

Don't discount WHMs outta the equation yet. They have the tools; they just need the right mindset to be wielded properly.

ahh i feel much better know i guess wmh jsut exceel in the gear department of healing/dmg migrating
th orison +2 pants for mp effiency
the enhanced bar spell with both mdb bonus and occ negate dmg
and boost spells alone
and afflatusstoneskin effect

i seem to run out of mp often whne im solo healing 12ppl or more out of aby perhaps i should just try to focus on only doing cure 4's
 Carbuncle.Ghishlain
By Carbuncle.Ghishlain 2013-04-26 15:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i seem to run out of mp often whne im solo healing 12ppl or more out of aby perhaps i should just try to focus on only doing cure 4's

To be fair, I don't think any class can heal 12 people solo ^^;... That's a lot of people to heal, and if there are a lot of AoE's flying about, keeping them all topped off is really difficult. Once a party goes into alliance status, it's hard to keep up without external Refresh/temps/everyone popping temps + Fans + Fools left right and centre.

Best results for a WHM healing an alliance comes from having external refresh (Triple Ballad BRD comes to mind) with a few extra supports off healing while you take the brunt. WHMs are experts at healing parties thanks to Curaga and Cura, but suffer a little when it comes to healing outside their own party.

I can generally keep an alliance in Legion going with a bit of support from the awesome BRD I'm usually paired up with. Admittedly, that was pre-SoA, haven't tried it again since.
 Cerberus.Corphish
Server: Cerberus
user: Lobster
By Cerberus.Corphish 2013-04-26 19:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Auspice is a buff that overwrites the Enlight buff on PLDs and Endark buff on DRKs (likewise, they will overwrite Auspice when reapplied). Therefore, it is possible for a WHM to accidently overwrite the buffs of the above two classes by casting Auspice (why this happens though, I'm not sure)

Interesting. I learned something today. I thought you were talking about the En effect. I guess I never knew since I don't see alot of people use Enlight/dark.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-04-26 20:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Corphish said: »

Interesting. I learned something today. I thought you were talking about the En effect. I guess I never knew since I don't see alot of people use Enlight/dark.

I know this is a WHM guide but that made me cry. Maybe part of the WHM's job needs to be slap DRK's not using it and D2 them from the party. DRK should always be using endark on anything remotely higher level unless it absorbs HP from the dark damage, or receives "bad things and eats tarutaru buff" from taking magic damage. The +attack bonus from it more than makes up for the few seconds it takes to cast provided you have higher dark skill than your BLM sub!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Ghishlain
By Carbuncle.Ghishlain 2013-04-26 22:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Asura.Josiahfk said: »
Phoenix.Bohgo said: »
it's got plenty of utility if you solo whm, like soloing iratham for a friend's clear etc

This is going to sound so arrogant and narcissistic, but I feel like I inspired this ^^;.... ~Hides~
Hey back in the day I used to solo nm on whm purely because it was fun and no whm had ever done it before either, I can relate lol
Chandler the thf af1 feet nm crits whm for 600 dmg and double attacks, so as a whm75/nin37 he murdered me many times before I finally won lol

To be fair, I'm pretty sure you were the first whm I heard of attempting and succeeding to solo a caturae though, /props~

WHM soloist unite! ~High fives~

That's pretty much my driving force to do it too. It's fun and no WHM in their right mind goes out to do it by themselves.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 19