Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLM: Gear From Mid-60s to 75
BLM: Gear From Mid-60s to 75
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-06-18 12:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a struggle, but my BLM is currently sitting at 64 and I'm slowly working my way to 75. During this climb, I've usually been a bit confused when it comes to gear. I've had an annoying tendancy to miss a few gear options along the way, but I've also balked at spending gil on HQ items that only last through the middle levels.

At this point, I could use some help determining where I stand in terms of gear. I'm trying to get BLM from 64 to 75 without spending large chunks of gil on non-essential gear that's not used at 75. I'm definitely open to criticism and suggestions.

~~~

The following is where I stand now:

Staves: I have a full set of HQ staves.

Straps: Bugard +1

Ammo: Morion Tathlum (I have a Phantom Tathlum)

Head: AF hat

Neck: Philomath Stole and Beak Necklace +1 for resting (I have Elemental, Enfeebling, and Dark Torques in addition to an Uggy Pendant)

Earrings: Two Phantom Earrings and a Moldy Earring

Body: I currently use Cobra Coat for nuking, AF body for enfeebling, and Vermy for idle and resting. I believe the next body upgrade is Black Cloak followed by Errant/Igqira.

Hands: AF Gloves

Rings: Two Wisdom Rings and a Balrahn's Ring. I have one Snow Ring ready (so far) for 72.

Back: Black Cape +1. I have a Prism Cape ready upon dinging 71.

Waist: Penitent's Rope and a Qiqirn Sash +1 for resting. I don't have any obis, and I plan on farming for those when my BLM is in the 70s (I can already kill goldfish with some difficulty).

Legs: Cobra Slops for nukes/enfeebling and AF legs for Dark spells. I have a pair of Mahatma Slops and a pair Goliard legs that I can use in an idle gearset in the future.

Feet: River Gaiters (I'm Mithra)

~~~

Upon reaching 75, I know I'll have some problems to address. I don't have any obis, I don't have Yigit feet, and my options in the hands slot are weak. I'm also missing Iqgira/Genie pieces and a quality hMP gearset (although I have started work on it).

My goal is to set up a passable BLM before taking into consideration gear like AF2, AF+1, Zenith, Morrigan, Novio, Sorc Ring (and latent gearset). Besides the problems I've already mentioned, are there any other major pieces I'm missing?
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-06-18 12:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you gonna solo up to 75, or you only exping in party ? If in party, ***tier stuff is fine, you shouldn't even bother about post level 60 equip until level 75. I mean having high INT or high MAB in party won't change anything, not like it will gets you a huge exp/h ratio boost.

You current stuff is pretty decent, no need to buy extra stuff that won't use at level 75.

I got my AF hat at level 67, had shitty int+3 ring, 2 HQ staves, etc... Didn't prevent me to reach 75 very quickly and didn't gimp my party too much either :p
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-18 13:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

sorc ring isnt that hard to get... though enableing it at really low lvls is kinda hard. If you are soloing up I recommend it alot it will make or break you 1 hitting pets.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-18 13:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Magic Set (I also use this for resting. >.>)
Enfeebling Magic Set
Stoneskin (and/or Emergency Healing) Set
Damage Reduction Set

The one I'm sure you're more interested in,
Nuking Set

Now, my gear is far from perfect, but it's definitely somewhere to aim for most BLM.

In terms of gear such as "Zenith Mitts", there are several alternatives that are "just as good" in terms of MAB, but none that offer anything close to the same package deal. (+50MP, 50HP<>MP for Sorc Ring, and MAB+5). You could buy Igqira Manillas, they have MAB+2, Elemental Magic +5.

Goliard Cuffs also have MAB+4, MAcc+4 (which is pretty much the same as Skill+). These are also fairly easy to get.

If you campaign a lot, you may be able to get Cobra Unit Gloves for a respectable MAB+2, Conserve MP +3.

There is also Vicious Mufflers that have MAB+5, but no other use for BLM.

Yigit Gages are also a decent piece, MAB+2 and INT+5. Personally, I'd aim for Zenith+1 or Morrigans after you have hit 75.
I chose to get rid of my P Rope and get a Forest Rope (70 ELV RSE Rope, MP+60 INT+4). As Mithra, you may feel the same way, MP+45 INT+4. It's all down to personal preference.

The general rule I follow is, MAB >> Skill >> INT >> MP >> hMP, unless I'm doing something that requires me to rest often for short periods of time, then it would be more like: MAB >> Skill >> INT >> hMP >> MP.

If you're nuking some HNM or a Sky god or something, Skill >> MAB >> INT.

If you intend on using Black Cloak for nuking, then it's a fine piece, otherwise you may as well just stay with Vermillion Cloak.

I'm gonna stop there because I could go on forever about BLM gear in general, and pretty much the "Perfect" gearset XD If there's anything you think I can help with, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-06-18 13:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Are you gonna solo up to 75, or you only exping in party ? If in party, ***tier stuff is fine, you shouldn't even bother about post level 60 equip until level 75. I mean having high INT or high MAB in party won't change anything, not like it will gets you a huge exp/h ratio boost.

You current stuff is pretty decent, no need to buy extra stuff that won't use at level 75.

I got my AF hat at level 67, had shitty int+3 ring, 2 HQ staves, etc... Didn't prevent me to reach 75 very quickly and didn't gimp my party too much either :p

After a Linkshell Subjob static broke due to people leaving the game, I soloed BLM from 26 to 58. I got a few random manaburn invites (for Kuftal, Aydeewa Subterrane, and Vunkerl) that took me from 58-63. Since then, I soloed 63-64 in Bibiki Bay with my flag up. I'll probably keep the "solo first" mentality the rest of the way to 75, but I also won't turn down any manaburn invites should they come my way.

And it's good to hear that my gear will work out OK for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Dasva said:
sorc ring isnt that hard to get... though enableing it at really low lvls is kinda hard. If you are soloing up I recommend it alot it will make or break you 1 hitting pets.

In the past year, sorc ring has jumped 500k over the past year. It's now up to 1.5mil. Sure, I could buy one and some latent gear, but I don't want to spend all my gil on it. Because of this, I've been avoiding any 1-shot pet camps at 60+ since I no longer have the damage output to 1shot.

And Hitetsu, thanks for the pointers and for posting your gearsets. It's given me a few things to put on my shopping list. ;)
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-06-18 18:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Even for manaburning your stuff is way above average (for your level), you shouldn't worry to much really :) 75's just around the corner :p I dunno much about solo'ing pre-75 since I kinda rushed to 75 with party only, but I hardly see something you could enhance at your level.

And as soon as you're hitting pudding camp, your current equip + couple of 72+ drops (even NQ) will be enough. I remember at the release of ToAU, most of BLM @ puddings camp had shitty equip, nobody had yigit, weskit was still 2 millions gils, tamas wasn't common, sorcerer ring almost not used at all, and we'd still get chain 11 :D

Now if you party at early 75, you'll be with BLM full merited, some will have full morri/novio/s.ring and stuff, will compensate for your "average" damage. And provided your enfeebling/dark/hmp magic set are decent, you will be able to solo chain 4 np :) As long as gravity stick and aspir don't get resisted too much..
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-18 18:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Goliard clogs for lvl 75
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-18 18:20:46