users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Elemental Magic Damage
Elemental Magic Damage
 Leviathan.Pimpstix
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Pimpstix 2013-02-05 19:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello, I have a question about BLM, nukes in particular. My BLM is level 99, and i have about +54 MAB from gear, not including staff, which is a chatoyant staff. My elemental skill is roughly 400 or a little more with gear and everything and I am a taru so INT is good as well. That being said, on mobs level 60-80+ I am only averaging 2.5k dmg on non-abyssea mobs with tier V spells. This is very dissapointing to me as I thought BLM could easily do 3.5-4.5k damage with tier V spells. So, is there any way i can reach this level of damage with gear or is BLM not as powerful as I had hoped?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-02-05 19:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Trial of the magian staves is your first and biggest damage boost.

Other than that, post your gear sets and I'm sure people will have suggestions.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-02-05 19:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

In addition to the magian staves : Use burn, food, try to proc sorc ring, remember obis/weather gear and perhaps find other gear improvements if you want more epeen dmg figures.
 Leviathan.Pimpstix
By Leviathan.Pimpstix 2013-02-05 19:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is my gear setup for nuking.. Any thoughts beyond magian staves as far as great gains in consistent nuking dmg.
[li]http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/288131[/li]
 Asura.Werdxi
Server: Asura
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2013-02-05 19:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

stack MaB as much as you can. unless int is at least 3 times higher in said slot than the MaB. aka - dont nuke in full af3 like 99% of blm cuz every piece of it is outclassed by something else. although i dont know if you're going to hit 4.5k on non aby mobs as blm. as sch you could do that w/ ease, but blm aint no sch. i wish i could give you non aby numbers, but honestly i dont remember what i do on blm. but i have near perfect nuke set on both my blm and sch and in aby i do probly 5.5k on blm and about 8.3k with the same nuke on sch. non-crit, non-af3 proc. just normal situation stuff
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-02-05 19:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Believe this wld be best. Nvm I think its nares cuffs 13 mab then gain few int from set with head. Yes strendu ring ofc my bad I even own one long-time. Strendu/galdr when sorc ring inactive.
[+]
 Asura.Werdxi
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2013-02-05 20:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
Believe this wld be best. Nvm I think its nares cuffs 13 mab then gain few int from set with head.

only improvement i see that i know of (mainly cuz they are coming out w/ gear faster than i can keep up) is the 2nd ring. You can get a MaB +3 ring from aby tahrangi. which would very slightly out-do the galdr ring. well sorta. int and mab arent on a direct relationship so if you lack the int against blm mobs then id take that back. but its about the lolwar now so i dont think anybody cares about various nuking sets at this point in the game.
 Leviathan.Pimpstix
By Leviathan.Pimpstix 2013-02-05 20:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

grrrr... so at least 4k without latent-nonsense gear and weather-specific gear may not be possible on non-abyssea mobs.... *eyeballs the auction house and sales NPC's after removing gearz*
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-05 20:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

4k is possible on stuff in like NNI w/o weather. In legion or something you won't though. Think my highest nuke in legion is like 3600 (granted that is on sch, blm would vary a little).
 Leviathan.Pimpstix
By Leviathan.Pimpstix 2013-02-05 20:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

thank you, sawtelle, I had just gotten really dissapointed as I've had BLM for years and finally am getting near to capping it out, and I guess I expected a bit more from the job. But if 4k+ dmg is possible without atma, then that is still very good, and allows me to do upwards of 25k+ dmg. on one tank of MP.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Pimpstix
By Leviathan.Pimpstix 2013-02-05 23:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks alot everyone for the input, gives me a much better idea of what blm's limits are (outside of abyssea). Now off to do a few magian staves...
 Asura.Hotin
user: HotinTJ
By Asura.Hotin 2013-02-13 05:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Why nobody mentioned strendu ring.... MAB+4 Ma.acc+2
And best grip is Skrati Grip then Wizzan Grip or Elder's Grip.
By Chimerawizard 2013-02-13 06:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotin said: »
Why nobody mentioned strendu ring.... MAB+4 Ma.acc+2 And best grip is Skrati Grip then Wizzan Grip or Elder's Grip.

Strendu ring is definately good, i use it instead of sorc. ring simply because I usually don't carry around convert gear to activate the latent. I would put Galdr over strendu though beause on the official forums they talked about changing the way magic damage is calculated, giving INT a bigger impact. And with current setup the difference is negligable.