Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » THF/MNK?
THF/MNK?
By Lariae 2013-02-03 14:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a white mage friend i duo with in Abyssea, and a bard mule to buff myself.. So has anyone tried this? It seems like it might be a good combination with the addition of counterstance and hp pool to compliment the thief, though im not sure if counterstance takes a penalty when you use it as a subjob?
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-02-03 14:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well counter procs after evasion so you'd be better off utilizing more evasion I think... because if you don't get the counter your 43 defense might be the end of you.
[+]
By Lariae 2013-02-03 14:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Good point..So in my situation would /war be the best choice then?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-03 14:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's abyssea. Evasion is not the answer.

/war would probably be best for DD and if you need red proc and don't have a war, /nin for magic proc and katana/great katana procs if you already have a war.
By Lariae 2013-02-03 14:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally don't have any issue evading monsters, even NM's in abyssea. The problem I'm currently having is when a spell gets through. Like Teekesselchen for example (I'm doing him for plates for my BRD). Sometimes stun from /dnc will fail and I get one shot by a 2k dmg IV Spell or something like that. Proccing isnt so much an issue just yet for me, as I don't need red or yellow on the mobs im hunting down.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-03 15:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yell at your WHM friend more.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-03 15:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

A -mdt set would be more useful than /MNK if that's the case.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-03 15:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I like my idea better.

So there.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-03 15:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

He can do both!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Lariae 2013-02-03 22:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so it seems MDT set is what i need.. I have a dark ring and a Twilight torque, what else is there that I can get besides another dark ring?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Otomis 2013-02-03 22:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I like

/Dnc if I am not having to proc anything besides TH. a little bit of bonus to eva and acc + haste samba is nice when I remember to sue it. (abyssea makes people lazy - me included).

/Nin For katan/GK proc but also for a little Dual Wield + Subtle Blow bonus. A good option for magic proc of course.

/War for more versatility in red proc'n. also kinda fun to berserk it all up and spam TP burn down NMs. (Works well with decent healer).

I have tried other support jobs including /Mnk here and there to play around with. But out side of those 3 I found anything else just not effective.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-02-03 23:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

THF gets DW3, so /NIN is really for magic procs and shadows only.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-03 23:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Errr...

I think you're off on every point you tried to make.

/dnc does not offer any extra evasion bonus
/nin does not offer any extra dual wield bonus
and you can spam tp moves whether you're /war or not
[+]
 Shiva.Ariaum
Server: Shiva
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2013-02-03 23:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Take a night and do HP abyssite for abys?
As THF/WAR I have over 3k hp in any abys zone as much at 3.5~ in heros.
I also prefer THF/WAR and atma RR/SS/Apoc on thf.
By Otomis 2013-02-03 23:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Errr...

I think you're off on every point you tried to make.

/dnc does not offer any extra evasion bonus
/nin does not offer any extra dual wield bonus
and you can spam tp moves whether you're /war or not

+10 Acc on Dnc which does not promote extra evasion oh'well still +10 acc and 5% haste samba.

/nin does offer the SB as well as use of jutsu. /cheer shadows and things spam TP just a little less.

yes you can spam WS on any job just having the higher attack helps a bit in the damage arena.

So points stand true just a couple are already traits native to thf' oh well. Posting relevant information along with irrelevant information n forums while spamming synergy 2 hours past my bed time = OH ' well.

Trying to hard to be an ars-wipe = unfortunate.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-03 23:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Geez, don't have to be so defensive about it.

And you can't say something is true when half of what you said is wrong.
[+]
By Lariae 2013-02-04 00:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I got 2/5 of the HP Abyssite, and these certainly would probably allieviate my problem all together with the stupid pot NM, however the two of the three I'm missing are a PITA to get. One NM spams death and has "Doom" effect" so i cant solo that, and the other is a chain of long quests. I bought one and killed that titan NM for the two i have.. so yeah. I have around 2.4k HP in Grauberg, without my WHM friend and just my brd buffs Teekessel slams me for 2k a spell, which needless to say can often mean death if im not full hp. I've considered leveling WHM on my mule, but damn I'll miss that attack speed from dual march =(
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-04 00:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a nifty brd song that reduces damage if it does more than 75% of your max hp.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Sentinel%27s_Scherzo
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-02-04 00:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Get all Abyssites of Merit and Furtherance. Your problems will solve themselves. You could also rock Atma of the Sanguine Scythe for an extra chunk of HP AFTER you get those abyssites.
[+]
 Sylph.Citrelautame
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2013-02-04 01:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I duo everything in abyssea as thf/war (unless magic proc needed) + a sch... /rdm on sch usually, /whm if need red procs, /blm for basically Apademak only. HP abyssites make a huge difference (im elvaan so ~3k hp in abyssea on average)

If your main issue is the pot...get the item used to weaken him for Ducial Guard atma quest. You can get another one everytime you zone in/out and basicly makes him entirely laughable. very very strong para for the entire fight and it does something else to him that's handy that I forgot lol

also if your 3 mannin it... thf+brd+whm and having issues beyond one shots from low max hp you may want to spend sometime getting better gear for your whm and make sure your brd is /whm with a trigger finger on cure4
 Quetzalcoatl.Ironsage
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Clace
By Quetzalcoatl.Ironsage 2013-02-04 02:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Item stops the pot from using its mega spikes of death move.
By Lariae 2013-02-04 02:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I have the item and the quest and such. Zoning out each time i need to kill him (3 times per plate run) Is kind of tedious though. He usually isnt a problem when I have the whm with me. Especially since I've figured out that turning around when he battery charges is a good idea =P I got two more abyssites putting my hp at 2500 so ill try him again tommorow with just my brd/whm supporting and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the input.
 Fenrir.Sigfreid
Server: Fenrir
user: Sigfreid
By Fenrir.Sigfreid 2013-02-04 04:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
There's a nifty brd song that reduces damage if it does more than 75% of your max hp.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Sentinel%27s_Scherzo
Saved many a party with song, if you are getting one shotted by a NM or at risk of it, this should be one of the first things you try.

Also if you go /dnc, eat a acc food and spam stutter step on him, that should help you land Violent Flourish more consistently, you might benefit by having Madrigal instead of March as that would help in that case as well, would just be slower kills, but you would at least be killing it.
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-02-04 04:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Never really did Grauberg Ironclad, but i think the easyest to farm/kill is the Ulegrand Iron Giant. You only need to kill Koghatu, which is a joke to defeat and kill some gears for the 2nd popitem which aren't far away. And beside that, popitems are normally supercheap (atleast on Cerberus)

If you dont waste time triggering on this Ironclad he is easy, you just need to kill him fast before he has the chance to use to many Invincibles (he gets more def) or Mighty strikes (he gets more att).

We allways did it with Nin(Kannagi) Thf (Mandau) and a whm mule dualboxed and he was death in no time with darkness chain. I guess a thf/war(with DD atmas) + brd + whm should be able to kill np aswell, aslong as the THf isnt to weak geared.
 Fenrir.Sigfreid
Server: Fenrir
user: Sigfreid
By Fenrir.Sigfreid 2013-02-04 05:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
If you dont waste time triggering on this Ironclad he is easy, you just need to kill him fast before he has the chance to use to many Invincibles (he gets more def) or Mighty strikes (he gets more att).
THF might struggle to kill this quick enough and the damn IC would quickly get mean in that case
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-02-04 09:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
this is what I use for thf, but there are more options now. not stuck with this lvl 90 cap setup. But using this nothing will ever kill you with a fast whm around, duoing any NM

This is what I use.

Could improve it with a few changes to fit in more MDB but *** that for the inventory space. I'm already 73/80 without any extra situational weapons, tools/meds/food/etc or any aeolian edge gear.
By Lariae 2013-02-04 13:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Currently for my THF I use Aluh/Twilight (I know.. im working on Mandau.." when im with my brd/whm otherwise i offhand Oynos. Im 4/5 Thaumas (Missing gloves) but i use Ocelomeh head (Need to get THF AF2 Head i think). Twilight belt, The lame version of atheling mantle, Eponas/Triple attack dmg ring, earrings are brutal/suppa and ranged i use the raiders boomerang. WIth this setup i do pretty nice damage, though I know i could still improve it. Also looking into a WS set for Evisc, but yeah..

I tried the Iron giant in Altepa, and that one seemed to have a wierd respawn time associated with the ??? and things got dangerous when he uses that kick move that removes all your gear..

The one in grauberg is easy and doesnt remove equipment, so thats why I chose him.. I've yet to see x2 plate drop though.. I haven't tried the third one, but maybe i will today when i get home.