Link | Quote | Reply

Most other jobs have one and im itching to play RNG now...please ^^
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2013-01-31 14:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Just remember if you /war wear a dagger not a staff. Makes you look like this.

[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-01-31 14:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree that the centralized, comprehensive guides can be helpful to some people.

I really disagree and cringe when a centralized, comprehensive guide is required before someone enjoys a job (or battle or event or whatever) at all. :(

I'm not contributing to the conversation, I know. The fake auto-translate made me do it.
 Asura.Hoshiku
Server: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2013-01-31 14:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Those job guides are nice but I'm way too lazy to make one. Seems like it's relic or gtfo for ranger at most events now. Gandiva/Armageddon are nice but you pull quite a bit of hate. So read up on ws modifiers and start collecting gearsets (hitbuild, snapshot, racc, ratk, stats, pdt) and be prepared to bleed gil.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-31 14:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said: »
I agree that the centralized, comprehensive guides can be helpful to some people.

I really disagree and cringe when a centralized, comprehensive guide is required before someone enjoys a job (or battle or event or whatever) at all. :(
I'm not contributing to the conversation, I know. The fake auto-translate made me do it.

Conversely: I was discouraged at the concept of gearing and playing corsair until Seha's guide inspired me to do so. Granted that's not the same as "I won't level this job til there is a guide" but I definitely felt better equipped to make an attempt once i read the collected information (that i was too lazy to go hunt down myself).

I think there should be a guide for rng if only so that people learn to "pre-shot". lol
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-01-31 15:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I think there should be a guide for rng if only so that people learn to "pre-shot". lol
Similar to this, spreading the word about BP Delay gear before using a Blood Pact was my main motivation to the SMN guide.
 Bahamut.Fulgrim
user: arouis
By Bahamut.Fulgrim 2013-01-31 15:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

/ra <t>

Rinse, repeat.

Ranjar Guide Finished, Next up?! RNF!
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2013-01-31 15:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Step 1 - build an Annihilator.
Step 2 - shoot things.

Hope this helps.

But seriously this site has a search function for gear sets, find the general consensus and aim for that.
[+]
 Asura.Zizek
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2013-01-31 15:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Santoro said: »
But seriously this site has a search function for gear sets, find the general consensus and aim for that.
[+]
 Asura.Chexmix
user: Ranae
By Asura.Chexmix 2013-01-31 15:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Laughed way more then I should have at that too.. intentional or not. Glad it wasn't just me >.>
 Leviathan.Vaudianx
Server: Leviathan
user: xVaudianx
By Leviathan.Vaudianx 2013-01-31 16:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Worded the whole thing wrong,

I started leveling it, am working on trials for Arma, while building currency for Anni, in the mean time, I was looking for some good iPad reading fodder for the job.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-31 16:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Fulgrim said: »
/ra <t>

Rinse, repeat.

Ranjar Guide Finished, Next up?! RNF!
RUN sounds better.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-01-31 16:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is pretty much all you need: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/25675/annihilator-rng-tp-sets-what-and-why/
 Valefor.Esdain
Server: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2013-01-31 16:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I ask that the guide be titled "Pew pew! Power Rangers: A RNG Guide".

('cause that never got old, right? Right?)

*crickets*
[+]
By spryte 2013-01-31 16:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

doing yochi for sam and rng....then annihilator....im gonna be broke foreverz....Helel posted a good rng guide. hope it helps ya
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-31 18:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Doesn't answer Yoichi/Gandiva situations, does it?

Only skimmed through10 pages and I only saw gun stuff (as the title would make you think).

So what about a RNG guide?
By Aeyela 2013-01-31 18:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Using a Gun instead of a Bow is the best advice anyone will ever give you on playing Ranger...
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-01-31 18:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

Only skimmed through10 pages and I only saw gun stuff (as the title would make you think).

RNG guide = use gun. So that thread is relevant to everything you need to know about RNG.
[+]
 Asura.Rucks
user: Seravolk
By Asura.Rucks 2013-01-31 19:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Wakabo said: »
Just remember if you /war wear a dagger not a staff. Makes you look like this.

Real men use a Club on RNG.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-02-01 00:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
Using a Gun instead of a Bow is the best advice anyone will ever give you on playing Ranger...
It is an advice, yes, but it answers only 55% percent of the questions. Therefore, it is lackluster.

RNG guide = use gun. So that thread is relevant to everything you need to know about RNG.
No.

We are asking a job guide, not a weapon guide.

Either you are a RNG and you cover the job as a whole or you are not answering the question at all, pick one.

This isn't a matter of what weapon to pick, this is a matter of explaining every possibilities the job offers. You can very well explain that gun destroys bow everywhere, everytime and so on, but if you want to be anything close to relevant, you'll have to cover bow due to it being a part of RNG.

Can wrap your head around this concept? Good.

To put a simple example so that simple minded people can understand:

Guy plays SAM, he upgrades Yoichi for ***and giggles. He hops on RNG, wishing to push the Yoichi further, with no particular love for RNG. Guy is a little lost, he seeks answers in order to maximize this side of RNG.

Guy comes to these forums, meet the 3 usual guys talking about RNG "GUN GUN GUN LOLOL GUN", guy is disappointed.

Best advices ever, keep it up guys.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-02-01 00:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you seem to want answers specifically for Yoichi Rng, I suggest you start by looking in the thread listed immediately below this one in the Ranger section

Yoichi Gear Sets
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-02-01 07:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Since you seem to want answers specifically for Yoichi Rng, I suggest you start by looking in the thread listed immediately below this one in the Ranger section

Yoichi Gear Sets
Yes we can do that but it's still not a guide, unfortunately.
By Aeyela 2013-02-01 07:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

No.

Either you are a RNG and you cover the job as a whole or you are not answering the question at all, pick one.

This isn't a matter of what weapon to pick, this is a matter of explaining every possibilities the job offers. You can very well explain that gun destroys bow everywhere, everytime and so on, but if you want to be anything close to relevant, you'll have to cover bow due to it being a part of RNG.

Guy plays SAM, he upgrades Yoichi for ***and giggles. He hops on RNG, wishing to push the Yoichi further, with no particular love for RNG. Guy is a little lost, he seeks answers in order to maximize this side of RNG.

Guy comes to these forums, meet the 3 usual guys talking about RNG "GUN GUN GUN LOLOL GUN", guy is disappointed.

Disappointed because he got the answer he didn't want to hear, not because he didn't get an accurate or truthful answer. It's not our fault that using gun is superior on Ranger in every situation. The only time you should be using a bow is when you need it for staggering something.

Don't shoot the messengers.

Now I might be inclined to share my experiences with Ranger and write a guide but knowing you'd be reading it, I'm not sure I want to. You have a very, ah, abrasive way of asking for favours from a general collective. You're almost trying to make us feel bad for having not written a guide! There's plenty of literature out there on Ranger and because all of them say use a gun you don't think they're good guides.

Take the hint. Gun's are better.

And if I did write a guide the section on bow would be one paragraph long saying "Keep a bow and some arrows in your satchel when it's needed for Abyssea blues and Voidwatch... But other than that don't use one."

Which you would probably whine about anyway. So why would I write you a guide? I won't win either way. =)

And you know, those '3 usual guys' are three of the best Rangers on these forums. If you want advice on Ranger they'd be three of the best people to start with. But you go ahead and put them down instead - see how quickly people jump to write you a guide.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-01 07:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming everyone has the means to get an annihilator. Some may have a bow only, or ah options only, the point of a guide is to help players all around, so yes gearsets for bow users too. Of course you would suggest aiming for Anni, but "this or gtfo" isn't the way to help a community.

Demanding a guide is quite preposterous, and you might point out threads already exist, cool, but regardless you're not giving good answers either.
[+]
By Aeyela 2013-02-01 07:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Assuming everyone has the means to get an annihilator. Some may have a bow only, or ah options only, the point of a guide is to help players all around, so yes gearsets for bow users too. Of course you would suggest aiming for Anni, but "this or gtfo" isn't the way to help a community.

Demanding a guide is quite preposterous, and you might point out threads already exist, cool, but regardless you're not giving good answers either.

Except in the thread Helel linked there is pages of discussion comparing other guns and bows as well as a few links to parses on BG comparing 99 Gandiva to 90 Armageddon. Thoughtful, well expressed discussion on why using a gun is better in almost every situation.

It only comes across as 'Guns or GTFO' because Monsieur Senkyuutai clearly didn't actually look through that thread. Fair enough, the title is misleading, but when I ask for assistance I usually have a look through the links people share before going off on one at people.

And to be honest, a Ranger guide isn't going to say much about bows. Why would you write a guide to promote a job and give instructions on how to perform at a sub par level? Such a guide would be laughed off the forums, the author wouldn't be able to win either way. On one hand a group will lament the lack of bow explanation and on the other people will ask why they're bothering to cover bows at all.

It would be like you changing your Corsair guide to promote Corsair being COR/WHM and only using their magic and quick draws to augment party member's magic. A very niche use - just like a bow on Ranger, even if they have a Yoichi.
[+]
 Bahamut.Havelock
user: Havelock
By Bahamut.Havelock 2013-02-01 08:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is that you can come on TP bonus GK SAM or Hoarfrost Blade DRK to many events and deal reasonable damage while being alive, if you come to event other than Abyss or VW you better have a relic (preferably gun), otherwise it is just better to go to MH and change job or you will pull the Mob from DDs which will make them poor DDs loose TP trying to WS and not hit the mob while it runs to poor RNG. Moreover RNG/WAR with hate is already a dead RNG before he gets first hit. So again there is no alternative for RNG weapons to use untill you make a relic (gun) as you will not have a possibility to use it anywhere as noone will take you without one (except Abyss and VW).
Some people will argue that KC ranger is nice for certain events but as I dont think i know a single KC RNG so I will not comment here.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2013-02-01 08:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

@Havelock

Only three events I'd accept a TP bonus GK/Hoarfrost Blade, and that's:

Voidwatch: Where relic Rangers will be using powerful weaponskills, such as Last Stand anyway.

Nyzul: Where, if you have a RNG, will have a Kracken Club and be up close and using powerful weaponskills anyway.

Meebles: Same deal as Nyzul, except on bosses I suppose.

So..yeah
 Bahamut.Havelock
user: Havelock
By Bahamut.Havelock 2013-02-01 08:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
@Havelock Only three events I'd accept a TP bonus GK/Hoarfrost Blade, and that's: Voidwatch: Where relic Rangers will be using powerful weaponskills anyway, such as Last Stand anyway. Nyzul: Where, if you have a RNG, will have a Kracken Club and be up close and using powerful weaponskills anyway. Meebles: Same deal as Nyzul, except on bosses I suppose. So..yeah
Im using TP Bonus SAM for Salvage v2, sometimes new Limbus and all meebles (including bosses) with success, I can imagine people without relics and emps (whatever is the reason they dont have it) also willing to participate in events with similarily equiped friends. And i dont see anyone going RNG over anything else there especially if they dont have relics. For VW if you going with 18 on most fights few people with poor equip doesnt matter, I've seen RNGs with Vision bow at 99 cap.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-02-01 08:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

KC RNG is acceptable on most content with a decent build and proper buffs. Don't overlook that it's contingent on heavy buffs, you're not going to turn any heads without them.

Shooting RNG is never competitive in terms of pure damage.

RNG is useful in Legion, but only if you base your strategy around it. It's suitable for Odin2, resulting in more reliable and easier fights than other strategies, though it's neither the fastest strategy nor the lowest # required. They are a pretty poor choice for anything else.

(Prepare for the RNG fanbois to disagree violently then fail to provide any sort of mathematic proof, ignore the human reaction time factor associated with their attack speed, and then generally froth at the mouth)
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-02-01 08:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
No.

Disappointed because he got the answer he didn't want to hear, not because he didn't get an accurate or truthful answer. It's not our fault that using gun is superior on Ranger in every situation. The only time you should be using a bow is when you need it for staggering something.

Don't shoot the messengers.

Now I might be inclined to share my experiences with Ranger and write a guide but knowing you'd be reading it, I'm not sure I want to. You have a very, ah, abrasive way of asking for favours from a general collective. You're almost trying to make us feel bad for having not written a guide! There's plenty of literature out there on Ranger and because all of them say use a gun you don't think they're good guides.

Take the hint. Gun's are better.

And if I did write a guide the section on bow would be one paragraph long saying "Keep a bow and some arrows in your satchel when it's needed for Abyssea blues and Voidwatch... But other than that don't use one."

Which you would probably whine about anyway. So why would I write you a guide? I won't win either way. =)

And you know, those '3 usual guys' are three of the best Rangers on these forums. If you want advice on Ranger they'd be three of the best people to start with. But you go ahead and put them down instead - see how quickly people jump to write you a guide.
You are being out of topic.

My post was a bait and both Helel and you did bite, it shows just how much of a narrowminded attitude you both have.

Let me use amore examples to make you look like an idiot some more:

Did anyone tell the guy who made the DRK thread that there was already a Resolution one with more than enough info?

Did anyone tell the guy who made the DNC guide that a simple Twashstar guide was enough and the rest was uneeded information?

Gun are better, it's a fact, it doesn't change the fact that people want to know about bows and wait, there is more (I'm going to blow your mind here), people might want to know about the overall gear they should aim at for other things that aren't weapon related (MDT, PDT, DT, whatever).

Anyway, I have been toying with you guys enough. You cannot counter my point, your jimmies are rustled to some very high level (so high that you have to check my page), my goal has been reached.

"Good players" don't make good community members, you guys proved it within 2 posts, congrats.

TL;DR:

Forget bow, forget gun. People want to hear about general RNG information and strategies. Can you wrap your head around that simple thing or do we have to keep posting for 2 pages? I'm very bad at playing the teacher role so please be a good student and understand the point of the thread.
First Page 2