Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » haste+3% vs triple atk+3%
haste+3% vs triple atk+3%
 Sylph.Herant
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Herant
By Sylph.Herant 2013-01-28 21:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

hi guys, i was arguing with a friend about which gear I should use on my gimp thf.. and the debate fell on my feet:

in a contest where i don't have any magic support what's best between

haste+3% VS triple attack+3%

I argue that on 1000 hits with haste+3% I'd swing 30 more hits.

instead with triple+3% I'd swing 60 times more.

Am I totally crazy nubface or not?

it is implied that the mensuration would be in a certain time!
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 22:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It's always been my understanding that haste (until 26 or 25 if you're sacing too much for that 1%) > basically anything else for TP phase. I would say go with the haste, yes.
 Sylph.Herant
By Sylph.Herant 2013-01-28 22:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

no argumentation? >o

so you're saying that 1030 hits > 1060 hits?
 Ragnarok.Fasaga
Server: Ragnarok
user: Fasaga
By Ragnarok.Fasaga 2013-01-28 22:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Herant said: »
no argumentation? >o

so you're saying that 1030 hits > 1060 hits?
Its not 30 more hits, its 30 more attack rounds, each attack round you have a chance to double, triple attack depending on gear etc.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-28 22:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Your test is messed up as its currently defined. If you want the real answer, you need to actually define that time interval and work out your delay per round so you can see the real impact of increasing haste by 3%. Haste isn't actually adding hits, it's reducing the time it takes to reach a certain number, so it's erroneous to flat-out say that haste is adding 30 hits without specifying a time interval and delay/round.

It's possible for 3 TA to beat 3 haste if you set up the conditions right but you will hear most people advising towards haste since it's more true in the general case, ie, when you have more than zero buffs.
 Sylph.Herant
By Sylph.Herant 2013-01-28 22:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Its not 30 more hits, its 30 more attack rounds, each attack round you have a chance to double, triple attack depending on gear etc.

and... on 30 hits how many time do you have to double/triple to reach 60 rounds?

you need 100% of double atk or 50% or triple atk.

Quote:
it's erroneous to flat-out say that haste is adding 30 hits without specifying a time interval and delay/round.

indeed i repeat myself: it is implied that the mensuration would be in a certain time!

and yeah, with zero buffs
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 22:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

wtf does "mensuration in a certain time" mean? Seriously
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-01-28 22:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

semi-off topic, but wouldn't aurore brais be better than NQ homam? (probably some other easily upgradable slots as well).

Anyways, let's say that at base-line you are hitting 1000 rounds within a set time interval.

Adding in your non-feet gear haste you would have 22% haste. This means you would be hitting 1000 rounds in 0.78 time intervals, or 1282.05 rounds in 1 time interval.

If we add 3% haste, that gets you to 25%. This would be 1000 rounds in 0.75 invervals or 1333.33 rounds in 1 interval. That would be an increase of 51.28 attack rounds over the baseline.

If we instead add 3 TA (and ignore the diminishing returns of your existing DA/TA/QA) you would hit 6% more times -> (1282.05)x(1.06)= 1358.97 rounds per interval, an increase of 76.92 rounds over the baseline. Correcting for your existing DA/TA/QA would bring this down a bit, probably close to even with the benefit that 3% haste gives.

Also, the more haste buffs you get (the closer you get to the delay reduction cap without going over) the better haste becomes. You will probably be better off using the 3% haste. I also just realized I did not account for dual wield which I think would make the haste easily pull ahead.

tl;dr you were not calculating the benefit of haste correctly.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-01-28 22:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
wtf does "mensuration in a certain time" mean? Seriously

once every month thereabouts

no but he means the event
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-28 22:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
it's erroneous to flat-out say that haste is adding 30 hits without specifying a time interval and delay/round.

indeed i repeat myself: it is implied that the mensuration would be in a certain time!

um, I read that and even referred to it, so indeed I repeat myself: it's erroneous to flat-out say that haste is adding 30 swings* without specifying a time interval and delay/round.

So specify that stuff if you want a real answer.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-01-28 22:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Quote:

um, I read that and even referred to it, so indeed I repeat myself: it's erroneous to flat-out say that haste is adding 30 swings* without specifying a time interval and delay/round.

So specify that stuff if you want a real answer.
He specified 1000 swings within a nondescript time interval at 0 buffs. This can be (and was) used.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-01-28 22:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Part of what he's not getting is that haste's effect on damage follows a geometric increase, rather than just a straight percent increase by whatever your current haste value is.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-01-28 22:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said: »
He specified 1000 swings within a nondescript time interval at 0 buffs. This can be (and was) used.
Not really, you mutated his question to fit your interpretation of it. His question was really poorly defined.
 Sylph.Herant
By Sylph.Herant 2013-01-28 22:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, i fkd up wit the calculation but finally i had a worthy answer. instead of the common "u gotta put haste because it's so..."

thanks!

@eikechi: sorry, english is not my native language =(
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-01-28 22:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

With capped delay reduction (80% haste) you will attack 5 times faster than with 0% haste. This would be the equivalent of 100% Quintuple attack. Hope this helps you understand why haste is so great.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-01-28 22:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Phoenix.Kirana said: »
Not really, you mutated his question to fit your interpretation of it. His question was really poorly defined.
Perhaps it was poorly worded, but the answer I gave him was exactly what he wanted to know.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-01-29 10:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The comparison is also incomplete. You also need to account for the 7 dex possibly increasing crit rate (probably a small amount, but possibly large), and the 2% increase in triple attack damage, for the Relic+2 feet, and the possible adjustments from an extra +3 acc in an uncapped accuracy situation for the Homam feet.

Common gain of Homam: 3.6%
Gain with uncapped accuracy: 6.7% - 7.5%

Common gain with Relic+2 (w/+1% crit from dex): 4.6%
Gain with uncapped accuracy: 6.2% - 6.6%
Common gain with Relic+2 (w/+0% crit from dex): 4.0%
Gain with uncapped accuracy: 5.5% - 6.2%

Note: In this comparison Relic+2 gives an odd total dex, so the last 1 dex doesn't round up to another point of accuracy.

So if accuracy isn't capped, Homam is still the best option by a small margin. If accuracy is capped, Relic+2 is the better option, by a similarly small margin. Given the likelihood of uncapped accuracy, even with mediocre gear, on anything you're likely to be completely unbuffed on while fighting, the Relic+2 seems the better overall choice.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-01-29 10:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

+2 your head, get a 7% belt, profit
[+]