Need Pointed In The Right Direction.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Need pointed in the right direction.
Need pointed in the right direction.
By Tanoshii 2013-01-20 21:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I came back to FFXI a few weeks ago after having been gone for over a year. Even when I played then, I really didn't play for that long and didn't get a whole lot accomplished. I have a lvl 90 Paladin with no gear to write home about, I have a level 95 Thief with just some basic gear and this Black Mage that i'm currently working on, as well as other various jobs in the 50-60 range that I leveled for fun.

Basically I would like to know what I should be working towards. Obviously nothing extremely end game because I feel i'm quite far from that, but maybe other things. I know to work on my Magian Trial staves, as I've read you need tons of these. I'm also currently farming up spells since I know you need those too!

Currently lets just say I have the Teal set and an Aquilo's Staff. I have been holding off buying jewelry and what not because i'm not 100% sure what I should be after to begin with and don't want to purchase something that isn't helpful.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any and all help! :)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Tanoshii 2013-01-20 21:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I already leveled Scholar to 50 in preparation of using it as a Sub for Black Mage. I'll work on the rest of that stuff though, thanks!

Edit - The Twilight Cape comes from Shinryu, which i'm a LONG ways from. So thats out for now.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Billyd
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: billyd
By Valefor.Billyd 2013-01-20 21:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Gold box farming in aby Vunkerl for some diamond rings with int+ and can use the neck with int+ and fast cast+ from aby la theine will cover the jewelry for the time being.

Post deleted by User.
By Tanoshii 2013-01-20 21:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow that staff is 1.7mil on our AH. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

@Billyd - Thanks, this is helpful! :D

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-01-20 21:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Errrr.

Get better gear. The kind with lots of +INT and +Magic Attack Bonus

Buy this:
Saevus Pendant (or Stoicheion Medal)
Novio Earring
Romanus Cape

Get this
Akasha Chaps (From meeble, will need a group. Else, use AF3+2)
Hecate Earring (From Rani, easy get)
Strendu Ring (From Windy Tier4 VWNM, easy kill, may take a few kills)
Maniacus Sash (From Legion)
- This one can be tough to get, so you can settle on Oneiros Sash or Cognition Belt for now.

Get Nares head/hands
Get Morrigan+1 body/feet

Until you can get these items, use AF3+2
By Tanoshii 2013-01-20 21:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
The kind with lots of +INT and +Magic Attack Bonus
This is helpful. So just stack things with +INT and +Mag Acc for the time being until I get better gear?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-01-20 22:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Better BLM gear is defined by having even more INT and Magic Attack Bonus.

So, for now, use stuff that has a lot of INT and MAB. Later, when you're able to, use stuff that has even more INT and MAB.
[+]
By Tanoshii 2013-01-20 22:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Tanoshii said: »

it combines the damage and accuracy given by all 8 HQ elemental level 51 staves but it also boosts the total possible dmg using weather as well by 10% more

so the price is justified since the ingreds to make it are all 8 HQ staves but yeah it's quite a lot to swallow
I do agree its awesome, but i don't have millions of gil to throw at items, right now.

Post deleted by User.
By Tanoshii 2013-01-20 22:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

In most situations, each elemental magian path will beat chatoyant in damage anyway so it's not like "you need to spend money on this asap to be badass"
Which elemental path should I work on first? I've been told Ice and Thunder.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-01-20 22:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I do agree its awesome, but i don't have millions of gil to throw at items, right now.
Not sure how your gear is but if price is an issue teal gear is decent until you can get af3+2(or better). I made some item sets that should give you a basic idea of your goals/progression. The BLM forums have ideal 99 gear too.

Starter/Beginner Set: Chatoyant is better. If you have all the HQ staves just find someone with synergy leveled and have them make you the HQ Chatoyant. I just used zenith gloves since a lot of old school players have those. Umm Vicious mufflers are good too.

Once you get af3+2 this is a pretty decent set. Obviously this is BLM/SCH. Strophadic drops off a VW monster its pretty common drop. Af3+2 is pretty easy to get.

Once you get some Neo-Nyzul gear this is a good set(what I currently) use. SCH is a good job to take to 99 btw first so you can get neo-nyzul isle gear. Novio should be 4-7m depending on your server prices. Stroph is good too.

There are better sets but I just put these together quick hope they help.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-01-20 22:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What server are you on? If you're on phoenix I could craft the staff for you if you get the HQ staves. Also I've been terribly bored recently to the point of not logging in since my LS poofed; I'd help you get caught up if I could.

Sidenote: start voidwatch if you have not already. It may be difficult to find groups for clears, but blm is a necessity for VW procs and you will get into groups easily.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-01-20 22:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go ice dmg -> thunder acc -> thunder dmg -> darkness dmg for the first 4 magian trials to do as blm

Imo. Id do thunder dmg > ice dmg > arka4(cure) > thunder acc. thunder dmg is the easiest to do and will help with other trials as far as kill speed.

Edit: the only bad thing about blm/sch especially for the trials is you lack phalanx. I preferred BLM/rdm for my trials in abyssea. that way I could phalanx+ss+PDT set pull a bunch of mobs nukega> sleepga> nukega
By Tanoshii 2013-01-20 23:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow tons of great advice. Thanks for all of that Baconwrap!

@Kirana - I'm on Asura, unfortunately.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2013-01-21 00:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I would look into learning Dynamis, as it sounds like you could use the money, especially for that staff. Given you have Thf 95, you could very likely pull a mil out of each run.
By Tanoshii 2013-01-21 13:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said: »

I would look into learning Dynamis, as it sounds like you could use the money, especially for that staff. Given you have Thf 95, you could very likely pull a mil out of each run.
I am currently working on opening up Dreamland Dynamis for farming.