(Don't) Fear The Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » (Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
(Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 203 204 205
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-12-27 10:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
Or, as I like to call it, Scarlet DeLOLium. The reason I call it that, is because the job ability will absorb the amount of damage taken and turn it into attack and magic attack. On paper, it sounds nice, but in actuality, it falls flat on its face because it takes only one hit of damage to charge it. It also requires proper timing for you to take damage on an AoE TP Move that may not even happen, and instead you'll be hit with a melee attack for a measly boost. For the 1 second it takes to use this JA, you could be either meleeing, stunning the TP move about to be used, or doing another WS for more overall damage.

I'm not going to list things that I feel are opinion based or nit-pick everything. I applaud you for taking the time and energy to make a guide ^^.

The one thing I do want to say is that I entirely dissagree with the above statement. I already saw someone say "i'm going to take it out of my macros" due to this guide.

There's a time and a place for everything and this can be an incredibly potent ability. I still remember the day it was introduced, doing the large sandlion BC and eatting pit ambush and then grav horn with it up. Mobs with powerful AOE moves are also good targets for this (assuming your stun doesnt get off or its immune to stun.

I will pop SD before VW is popped (3 minute duration before getting hit). Eating an aga with fanatics up puts me in no danger of dying but will nicely trigger a decent bonus to delirium. AGA's from ADL when low manning are also a nice bonus.

/2cents
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-28 02:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Or, as I like to call it, Scarlet DeLOLium. The reason I call it that, is because the job ability will absorb the amount of damage taken and turn it into attack and magic attack. On paper, it sounds nice, but in actuality, it falls flat on its face because it takes only one hit of damage to charge it. It also requires proper timing for you to take damage on an AoE TP Move that may not even happen, and instead you'll be hit with a melee attack for a measly boost. For the 1 second it takes to use this JA, you could be either meleeing, stunning the TP move about to be used, or doing another WS for more overall damage.

I'm not going to list things that I feel are opinion based or nit-pick everything. I applaud you for taking the time and energy to make a guide ^^.

The one thing I do want to say is that I entirely dissagree with the above statement. I already saw someone say "i'm going to take it out of my macros" due to this guide.

There's a time and a place for everything and this can be an incredibly potent ability. I still remember the day it was introduced, doing the large sandlion BC and eatting pit ambush and then grav horn with it up. Mobs with powerful AOE moves are also good targets for this (assuming your stun doesnt get off or its immune to stun.

I will pop SD before VW is popped (3 minute duration before getting hit). Eating an aga with fanatics up puts me in no danger of dying but will nicely trigger a decent bonus to delirium. AGA's from ADL when low manning are also a nice bonus.

/2cents

Hmmm...never thought of it that way before. Unless they tweaked it in a way I haven't known about I never really noticed a huge difference with it up, so i never really bothered unless I had some spare time somehow to pop it.

I mean, I wanted it to be as awesome as everyone else wanted it to be upon testing phase, so I guess the bitterness of it being underwhelming is still left in my tongue. I really, really, really wished for it to let you be able to take multiple hits just like everyone else did, and upon disappointment I just never thought it was worth using in places where it would be most efficient.

I suppose I'll play with the ability more often. In the meantime I've edited the description so that it doesn't sound so negative.
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-12-28 03:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's huge bonus to damage. Was voking Ig-Alima at pop and getting hit with the triple punch to activate scarlett. Dangerous, but awesome if you don't die. :P

6k resolutions with 90% scarlet with the OaT to ig-alima. Not advising anyone do this. >_>

*edit* Or am I...? >:D
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-28 11:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

/2cents

Yes that is what I initially thought about this ability. In those situations where you are going to be taking the hits, its worth having it on, even if it is a slight boost. For those moments where your spamming weapon skills and most likely not going to be hit, it's still worthwhile to pop it just in case you do.

The ability is pretty much instant (might lose a second or two from delay), and I use Last Resort, Diabolic eye and Scarlet in the same macro, so I can get them all out of the way quickly before I engage.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-28 14:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

By the way, consensus on this as a high-acc set?

Phoenix.Michelob
Server: Phoenix
user: Michelob
By Phoenix.Michelob 2012-12-28 14:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The high-end Dark Magic/Drain & Aspir sets should have a Striga Crown rather than Appentice Crown (Extra 5 Skill). Also your MDT set should have Shadow Ring included since you can effectively go beyond the 50% MDT cap with it over time; assuming Shell IV or better you don't need a both ring slots to hit the -50% MDT anyways.
 Phoenix.Michelob
Server: Phoenix
user: Michelob
By Phoenix.Michelob 2012-12-28 14:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Letalis Mantle for high-acc, also.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-28 14:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Michelob said: »
The high-end Dark Magic/Drain & Aspir sets should have a Striga Crown rather than Appentice Crown (Extra 5 Skill). Also your MDT set should have Shadow Ring included since you can effectively go beyond the 50% MDT cap with it over time; assuming Shell IV or better you don't need a both ring slots to hit the -50% MDT anyways.
Oh snap, good call on the Shadow Ring lol. I hadn't thought of it before when I was playing around with MDT builds with Shell4+ MDT bonus.

Changed cape to Letalis for HighACC set, and added the set to the list!
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-28 15:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding more to the table.

Added Striga Crown.
Added Impatiens.
Added Wiglen Gorget
Added Paguroidea Ring

When you adding it to the guide? :) Might be adding another field to it, highlighting low-end, and high-end gear,
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2012-12-28 15:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotsoups said: »
It's huge bonus to damage. Was voking Ig-Alima at pop and getting hit with the triple punch to activate scarlett. Dangerous, but awesome if you don't die. :P

6k resolutions with 90% scarlet with the OaT to ig-alima. Not advising anyone do this. >_>

Yeah going to have to disagree with the guide hating on scarlet delirium.
I love my suicide scarlet set, +51% pdt +29%mdt , been trying to find onyx/black feet forever to have a full set ; ;

Pop SD, swap it in, get your *** smacked extra hard, swap it out.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-28 15:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol that suicide set is epic!

Updated the table showing low and high quality stuff. Anything not rated is in-between or situational, so whether you use it is up to you or what you fight.
By Kyler 2012-12-28 18:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghillie Earring +1
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-12-28 18:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyler said: »

Ghillie Earring +1

Kikou's Earring

That set is way over the haste cap. Anything that requires that kind of ACC you will have Embrava/Marches etc.

Here is my Mul set:

[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-28 23:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, March/Embrava would explain why the haste on that set isn't capped then. I'll add that instead
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-29 05:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Tweaked some NQ & HQ sets around to par. added an Absorbs set, as well as an MDT HQ set. Kylos, I'm having trouble finding a place to put your chart. Adding it tells me I have too many characters. =[
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-29 05:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah yes, you put a lot of content in each post. Should have done a safety post so you could add more content :)

You could just link them to page 3. That seems to be the only way it could be done. Going to add some more to the table today.

Edit: Added Ambuscade Ring
Added Carrier's Sash
Added Engulfer Cape
Added Pavor Gauntlets
Added Demon's Harness
Added Onyx Sollerets
Added Cupharrosa Mantle
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-29 07:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything else that I might be missing?

Do DRKs ever use an idle set with Regen and Refresh? Could be useful for those moments where you need to travel from one place to another with no time to rest, or be cured.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2012-12-29 07:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can make the space for it(or the items have multiples uses) I can't see any reason to not have a Regen or Refresh idle set on Drk.

Twilight Helm/Valkyrie's(or nq) Breastplate/Paguroidea Ring/Sheltered Ring/Wiglen Gorget
Can find more with search I imagine, though I don't think Drk has regen Hands/Legs(wouldn't use often if moving)/Feet.

Wivre Hairpin/Plastron(Maybe something higher now?)/Ogier's Gauntlets/Stearc Subligar/Ogier's Leggings/Bale Choker.
That's +5, not so bad. Can't see a point in using the other Ogier's pieces for refresh set unless you don't have Hairpin/Subligar/Plastron. 4-5 needed for +2 is just kind of weak.
Probably more through searching of course.
Regen/DT is my default idle set and I just use /sc set refresh for...refresh.

Lot of that refresh set is only useful for that one thing, so it's usually the first thing I leave in Locker.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-12-29 08:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ares's body+1 since it has both regen and refresh for +2 a tick and theres Twilight mail for refresh+2.
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-12-29 09:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »

I love my suicide scarlet set, +51% pdt +29%mdt , been trying to find onyx/black feet forever to have a full set ; ;

Forgot Rancor Back/Neck
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-12-29 09:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Ares's body+1 since it has both regen and refresh for +2 a tick and theres Twilight mail for refresh+2.

The problem with Ares+1 is you already have to carry twilight which takes care of the refresh. A lot of DRKs will have Valk breastplate for TPing which will have the regen taken care of.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-29 10:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Idle Regen set.

Valkyries +2
Oneiros +1 (Also +2 Refresh under 76% MP)
Scuta +2
Paguroidea +2
Sheltered +1
Lycopodium +3 (During daytime)
Garden +1 (During daytime)
Wiglen +3
Twilight +2

+13 (+17 during daytime). Also Oneiros negates TP.

Of course, this all depends if you have the space, and don't mind the -movement speed on Scuta.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-12-29 10:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

or swapping a grip between fights
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-29 10:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

or swapping a grip between fights

Never seen the grip anyway. How many people are going to go through the trouble or Arch Goblin Golem for 1 HP Regen? :) But yea, I searched all over, and that is what I found.
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-12-29 10:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Idle Regen set.

Valkyries +1
Oneiros +1 (Also +2 Refresh under 76% MP)
Scuta +2
Paguroidea +2
Sheltered +1
Lycopodium +3 (During daytime)
Garden +1 (During daytime)
Wiglen +3
Twilight +2

+12 (+16 during daytime). Also Oneiros negates TP.

Of course, this all depends if you have the space, and don't mind the -movement speed on Scuta.

Pretty sure my Valk breastplate is 2/tic regen. (Can't get online to double check before making an idiot out of myself).
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-12-29 10:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadow/Valk is 2tic, yes
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-29 10:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea that's a typo. Editing.

Doing Refresh set next.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-29 11:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Idle Refresh set

As you can imagine, the Ogier's set, or the Stearc/Wivre combo may take some time to obtain. Needless to say, you can use four of the five Ogier's pieces for Refresh over the Hairpin/Subligar (+3)

With this set, you can get Refresh+9 under 76%MP, and Refresh+7 any other time. Thats if you don't mind losing your TP as well, but of course this would be between any fights, not during.

You could mix and match the Regen and Refresh gears, filling in the blanks in both sets.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-29 12:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I was actually thinking about adding a regen/refresh set, though I wondered if anyone took those seriously. Then again, this IS FFXI lol, where anything is possible. =P
[+]
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-12-29 14:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said: »
Valefor.Sapphire said: »

Forgot Rancor Back/Neck
And eluder's sachet
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 203 204 205