(Don't) Fear The Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » (Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
(Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 206 207 208
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-04-16 13:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Here are the sets I'd use with apoc /sam

standard

6 hits multihit focus

5 hits haste uncapped

5 hits haste capped

1st : 5 hits haste capped
2nd : 6 hits multihit focused
3rd : 5 hits haste uncapped

How do ares feet +1 do against Phorcys schuhs for your multihit set?

They are ahead even if you're losing 1% DA.
 Asura.Jem
Server: Asura
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2013-04-16 13:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of curiosity, why are you using Rose + Hagneia in that multihit 6 hit set? You don't need the STP from them.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-04-16 13:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jem said: »
Out of curiosity, why are you using Rose + Hagneia in that multihit 6 hit set? You don't need the STP from them.

That's a good point.

Edit : At least I could replace the hagneia with anger or something else but I'd keep Rose strap to switch to another tp set if needed.
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-04-16 20:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
So unless you want buyer's remorse or laughing-at-you-mischief from your friends, avoid making this weapon. I'm not even going to have gearsets for Quietus listed because of its mediocrity.

While yes, Quietus is a bust WS, I feel it's necessary to include a build for it in a real DRK guide. People have the WS, and at the very least it's used to trigger their AM. I'm curious about an up to date build recommendation for it.

EDIT:

Here's something I threw together. Not certain about all of it.

ItemSet 297145

I used phorcys over twilight body due to the flat damage bonus for a single hit weapon skill. Also the legs I'm unsure, and I don't know if the rajas is pointless here.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-16 21:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sanders said: »
So unless you want buyer's remorse or laughing-at-you-mischief from your friends, avoid making this weapon. I'm not even going to have gearsets for Quietus listed because of its mediocrity.

While yes, Quietus is a bust WS, I feel it's necessary to include a build for it in a real DRK guide. People have the WS, and at the very least it's used to trigger their AM. I'm curious about an up to date build recommendation for it.

If SE update relics and empys to coincide with the new weapons, you never know, Redemption may get a whole lot better. Of course this is wishful thinking, but you never know, I remember when people laughed at those who made a Ragnarok over an Apocalypse at 75 cap.

Also Quietus is the WS Batman would use if he played this game.

[+]
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2013-04-17 07:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I could see ppl doing the WoE line for easy 5hit + quietus, but not waste 50 buds an 50 fangs for it XD
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-04-17 07:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT:

ItemSet 297145

I used phorcys over twilight body due to the flat damage bonus for a single hit weapon skill. Also the legs I'm unsure, and I don't know if the rajas is pointless here.

Without even putting thought into it, I would point it toward my resolution set or "generic other str ws" set in my spellcast. I actually might have done that already, even though the scythe is on a mannequin.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-04-17 13:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT:

ItemSet 297145

alright then, I'll secede @_@

updated!
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-04-17 13:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quietus also can use Soil Belt/Gorget, it's pretty much the best inventory saver ever for DRK.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-04-17 13:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Quietus also can use Soil Belt/Gorget, it's pretty much the best inventory saver ever for DRK.
Hah, totally forgot about that (shows how much I've tossed aside Quietus, huh)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-04-17 14:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

all the important ws are covered by soil or light.

actually every useful ws in the game can be covered with soil, light, and breeze.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-04-18 01:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

alright then, I'll secede @_@

updated!

Lol I'm happy I contributed to the awesome guide (even if it's the shittiest contribution x.x).

Quote:
***May your want for this weapon overcome the remorse you will suffer. Oh yeah, and Soil Gorget/Belt works with this too
[+]
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2013-04-18 09:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ogier's should always beat Kari Legs I'd think (3% WSD versus 5-6 WSC). Drachenhorn is going to beat Twilight too.

I would imagine Strigoi's trumps Aqua. Probably just a flat 6 STR ring or Candent does too because of fSTR (obviously not 7 STR ring cos of the -MND). Rajas is going to depend on your build.

I think any other upgrades I could suggest would be situational based on Attack / Day.

Like I'm not sure how I feel about Moonshade in that set. On one hand the extra def down is really good but on the other hand you're using AF3+2 boots which suggests capped attack (I'd imagine Kari would beat them if you need attack and/or acc). Of course you can have scenarios where the Moonshade is causing you to attack cap meaning you use Af3+2. But yeah, situational stuff!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-04-18 12:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ogier's should always beat Kari Legs I'd think (3% WSD versus 5-6 WSC). Drachenhorn is going to beat Twilight too.

I would imagine Strigoi's trumps Aqua. Probably just a flat 6 STR ring or Candent does too because of fSTR (obviously not 7 STR ring cos of the -MND). Rajas is going to depend on your build.

I think any other upgrades I could suggest would be situational based on Attack / Day.

Like I'm not sure how I feel about Moonshade in that set. On one hand the extra def down is really good but on the other hand you're using AF3+2 boots which suggests capped attack (I'd imagine Kari would beat them if you need attack and/or acc). Of course you can have scenarios where the Moonshade is causing you to attack cap meaning you use Af3+2. But yeah, situational stuff!

Now this is what I was looking for. Forgive me, but maybe I don't understand proper gearing for WSs like this one with multiple mods. It feels like the MND40% only serves to dilute the STR. Is it sound to ignore the mnd mod altogether (unless it's conveniently built in to pieces like d.horn and twilight), and really just build it for STR(atk) like Ashman suggested?
 Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-18 12:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep. Nail on the head. You should put full focus on str and atk. Only add the mnd in there if it's attached to a piece with str/atk, or if there's just nothing better you can put in the slot, which is almost never the case. Even Torcleaver, which was only modded by vit was a ws in which the main focus on str and atk, with vit being generally a third priority. The only real exception to the rule is dual mod magical ws's, in which case you aim for whichever stat gives you the highest value (in addition to your mab gear of course) because they are in no way affected by fstr or attack. Only by mab, belt/gorget/moonshade and raw stat values. Oh, and ws damage+ gear of course.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-04-18 13:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

mnd just increases the proc rate of silence, anyhow
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-04-18 13:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
mnd just increases the proc rate of silence, anyhow

Even on Quietus.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-04-18 13:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
[+]
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2013-04-18 14:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Now this is what I was looking for. Forgive me, but maybe I don't understand proper gearing for WSs like this one with multiple mods. It feels like the MND40% only serves to dilute the STR. Is it sound to ignore the mnd mod altogether (unless it's conveniently built in to pieces like d.horn and twilight), and really just build it for STR(atk) like Ashman suggested?

I wouldn't say it dilutes it really. 60% STR wouldn't really be much of an improvement over 40% STR/MND to be honest. You'd have to have double your STR over your MND before it became an improvement (discounting attack) and since some gear already inherently has MND on, you're probably at 100+ on DRK. It might be a minor improvement but it's not massive.

You can pretty much ignore it for the most part with current gear choice. AF3+2 Boots and D. Horn/Twilight are pretty much the examples of when a lesser STR piece is optimal because of the MND also conveniently being on there.

It basically boils down to that STR not really being 40% at all. It's more like 65% because of fSTR (because you're not capping fSTR against anything worthwhile with a Scythe). Then plus your obvious attack from STR.

It probably works out at 1 STR being worth around 1.8 - 2 MND.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 14:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

With Quietus, when I ever use it, I just use my Resolution set, but I would assume any DRK who has 99 Redemption (Not many, but there are) would want to maximize Quietus.

The one great thing about Redemption is its critical hits during aftermath. I have used Redemption with Blood Weapon using aftermath and it is a lot of fun. I just wish Scythes were more useful, they are Dark Knights A weapon, but are only ever used for survival (If you have Apoc) or staggers in Voidwatch.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 14:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Can I make a suggestion? You should add screenshots of Dark Knights weaponskills to the guide. I would love to add Quietus in there, just so Batman would be proud. :)

Took this screen when I first got it, but could do better if you like Quetz.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-04-18 14:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
With Quietus, when I ever use it, I just use my Resolution set, but I would assume any DRK who has 99 Redemption (Not many, but there are) would want to maximize Quietus.

The one great thing about Redemption is its critical hits during aftermath. I have used Redemption with Blood Weapon using aftermath and it is a lot of fun. I just wish Scythes were more useful, they are Dark Knights A weapon, but are only ever used for survival (If you have Apoc) or staggers in Voidwatch.

I won't start it ;;
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 18:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just got my Mala. I can't believe it.. I feel bad for anyone who has to spend months and hundreds of stones just to see one.

I was wondering if I could put it into my TP set, but I would lose Houyis. I got E Body the other day but need to save up money for it, then get it augmented.

Should I use Mala despite it meaning that I lose my hit build?
 Fenrir.Calamity
Server: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-18 18:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For VW, maybe. Otherwise no, your xhit should always take priority over 2% QA
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 19:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Made some Resolution screenshots. Which is best?

1)

2)

3)

[+]
By volkom 2013-04-18 19:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

neither since there's no mithra flip
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-04-18 19:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, that's a pretty good Idea Kylos. I wouldn't mind some more decoration in the guide, really.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 19:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw it in the Warrior guide, and then I saw you added the Galka in the guide, so I added 2 + 2 together, and am about to go do some Quietus screens :) Feel free to pick whichever you like best.

Also I cannot do Catastrophe or Entropy, someone else can do that lol.
By Kingregg 2013-04-18 20:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I Don't know if this was been asked yet, but how does Pak Corselet +1 change the tp sets or does Armada still shine bright like a diamond..
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 20:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quietus. Good enough?

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 206 207 208