(Don't) Fear The Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » (Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
(Don't) Fear the Reaper: A Dark Knight Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 206 207 208
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-03-08 09:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm late on this.

But good find on the DS 5/5, Relic head, and gear sets.

I guess since I don't have Misanthropy, I'll use Dacnomania for Drain3. Glad I can finally drop DE, its pretty worthless. I only merited it (1) for the safety blanket, but the -%HP is actually more harmful than the accuracy is.

Adjusting my sets accordingly.

Side note: Why are we not using empyrean legs for Nether Void? Is that only enhanced macc?
 Asura.Ganno
Server: Asura
user: ganon8413
By Asura.Ganno 2017-03-08 10:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I'm late on this.

But good find on the DS 5/5, Relic head, and gear sets.

I guess since I don't have Misanthropy, I'll use Dacnomania for Drain3. Glad I can finally drop DE, its pretty worthless. I only merited it (1) for the safety blanket, but the -%HP is actually more harmful than the accuracy is.

Adjusting my sets accordingly.

Side note: Why are we not using empyrean legs for Nether Void? Is that only enhanced macc?

We are, just use it for Nether Void, then your magic set for spells.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-03-08 11:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so DSNV = relic head/empy legs for activation and cast, or just the head for casting?

Most of the time, I'm not trying to use spells on anything that would matter because it will miss. Though I should probably remove all that silly black gadling gear set and just use macc.
By cubia59 2017-03-08 11:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

irrelliuss said: »
cubia59 said: »
Thanks for the advices. I already have Rajas ring, sparks weapon (Eminent Sickle, something like that) and the fullset iLvl117 (Sparks). I also have joined an Unity and got Apururu, love it !

But I don't know what to do from there. What's the right path to follow to upgrade/improve my gear ? I'll keep checking this guide and try to find more specific guides on the net to see if there's a main path to follow but if you have more tips, feel free to share please. Thanks !

The really easy thing at this point is to go to Mhaura and join an ambuscade party. (go around and get as many homepoints as you can for this) The Gallantry points can be used towards Sulevia +1 items which is still used for a lot of endgame function.

I've been spamming the regular ambuscade on my own and got Sulevia sollerets. I'd love to do Ambuscade (intense) on higher levels with other people and grab Gallantry to get the +1 set but seems like they have their own parties and I don't see anyone recruiting. Might have to stick to the NQ.

I'm on rhapsody of vanadiel final boss atm and I just can't kill it as DRK. My trusts are getting killed way too fast and boss tend to one shot me too. I'll probably have to gear my NIN too if I want to clear this content.

Thanks for the tip tho !
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-03-08 12:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so DSNV = relic head/empy legs for activation and cast, or just the head for casting?

Most of the time, I'm not trying to use spells on anything that would matter because it will miss. Though I should probably remove all that silly black gadling gear set and just use macc.

Legs just for JA, Head needs to be on for the duration boost.
 Asura.Ganno
By Asura.Ganno 2017-03-08 13:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

DSNV activation macro -> emp legs only

then you put relic head in your Drain or Absorb spell set.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-03-08 13:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

What server are you on?
 Asura.Ganno
By Asura.Ganno 2017-03-08 13:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

We are on Asura!
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-03-08 13:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Darkside said: »
Anyone got a screenshot of this? I gotta see this. I haven't been on much lately due to my wife and I having a lil dark knight being born soon but I need to see a screen shot or something. That sounds amazing as hell. Looks like after I finish ag my apoc I may have to work on this next.

no SS, But its not to hard to imagine that at capped haste you are swinging at 1.43 sec / round. Then add in all your multi-hit gear and you should avg close to 1.5 attack a round for an avg drk. You can start to see you approach really close to 1 attack a second (actually more). Thats good enough for this paper math. Did teles yesterday and was 1100-1200 base hits, so lets take low end 1100+3300 = 4400/2 = avg of 2200 per hit per second :D

I would post the video but I died so fast haha, normally dont die to fast but had a pld whos been mia for months tank it, little rusty it seems. Anyhow In that video I get some cool 9k dmg rounds and 50k+ torcs, (avg was 30k over fight). calad is a powerhouse.

I've finally spent the 120M to finish off Apoc, and was following a few different gear guides.

1. I got Caro necklace because front page here says to. I also have Fotia, which a lot of other pages say to get. Is one or the other better for Apoc? What is the reasoning?

2. The group of people on my server cannot currently do t3 Reisenjima, I'm using Sulevia Plate +1 body for almost everything. I don't have access to Valorous, Emicho, or Nzingha bodies. I have the +1 fallen, +1 heathen, and +1 Ignomy, I'm trying to set up a body, I could get a merc for Argosy body but can't afford +1 abjuration atm, any recommendations for primarily Apoc DRK? I'm working on Ignomy +3 but it's hard to get an Omen pt if I don't at least look like I have my body choices under control on DRK, so most of my Omen cards are for GEO, because a noobtastic GEO is better than a fully upgraded Apoc with Sulevia +1 body apparently.

3. I have a Karieyh ring, which has WS ACC and WS damage, paired with Refescent for WS. Is Shukuyu STR+7 going to outdo the WS ACC+5 and WS Damage+3% for Catastrophe? I notice the guide only has Karieyh for Torc setup and was wondering if I could find out why without reading through 117 pages of this post.

1. They are side grades really, Caro will produce a better avg, fotia will 1% of the time be great :D The bigger question is do you need fotias acc? If so use it, if not decide which of the above is better for you.

2. Thats just a wall of excuses, make groups and get it done. If none are really doing it, that means all want/need it. Be a leader. You have geo, so go that and burn some trees down, you will want 2 valo bodies, one for DA one for STP, and then get Omen body which solo you could do in a week probably. Quicker now with omen update coming. Argosy is a GS thing not scythe really. The af+3 stuff all is scythe oriented.

3. The ring is BiS, but not many (myself included) are willing to have minimal gains for ws, when there other rings offer so much more, so its normally not added. If you have the means to +1, then its a different story as the +1 is amazing.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-03-08 14:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ganno said: »
We are on Asura!

Bleh im an idiot. I quoted the wrong person. I know you guys are on Asura. My question was for the new guy. Mistake my bad.

Thanks for the information though. Appreciated.

Quote:
I've been spamming the regular ambuscade on my own and got Sulevia sollerets. I'd love to do Ambuscade (intense) on higher levels with other people and grab Gallantry to get the +1 set but seems like they have their own parties and I don't see anyone recruiting. Might have to stick to the NQ.

I'm on rhapsody of vanadiel final boss atm and I just can't kill it as DRK. My trusts are getting killed way too fast and boss tend to one shot me too. I'll probably have to gear my NIN too if I want to clear this content.

Thanks for the tip tho !

What server are you on, cubia***
[+]
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-03-08 14:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azagarth said: »
I would post the video but I died so fast haha, normally dont die to fast but had a pld whos been mia for months tank it, little rusty it seems. Anyhow In that video I get some cool 9k dmg rounds and 50k+ torcs, (avg was 30k over fight). calad is a powerhouse.

Yeah.... you and the rune kept healing it. And someone was lacking on cure spells in the pt... You two and your damn light sc...

edit: calad exceeded my original expectations from months ago when we were talking about it's validity on drk. I am hoping to get enough hmp to wrap up calad and redemption. Almost time for me to start working on drk again, fn aza beating me in dps.... not cool yo...

I've finally spent the 120M to finish off Apoc, and was following a few different gear guides.
2. The group of people on my server cannot currently do t3 Reisenjima, I'm using Sulevia Plate +1 body for almost everything. I don't have access to Valorous, Emicho, or Nzingha bodies. I have the +1 fallen, +1 heathen, and +1 Ignomy, I'm trying to set up a body, I could get a merc for Argosy body but can't afford +1 abjuration atm, any recommendations for primarily Apoc DRK? I'm working on Ignomy +3 but it's hard to get an Omen pt if I don't at least look like I have my body choices under control on DRK, so most of my Omen cards are for GEO, because a noobtastic GEO is better than a fully upgraded Apoc with Sulevia +1 body apparently.

I know everyone tends to flip ***when this word shows up but.... "merc"
Gil is stupid easy to make and if you aren't finding the group you run with quite ready for t3, just drop the gil for a merc. I did it plenty of times, I still do it when I am too lazy to farm pop items, or flat sick of the nm.

Do what it takes. Sometimes it isn't the most pleasing route.
[+]
By cubia59 2017-03-08 14:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

What server are you on?

Not sure if the message was for me but I am on Carbuncle.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-03-08 14:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What server are you on?

Ah :(

I was gonna say if you were on Asura we could do some of that tonight.

I'm sure you could shout during peak hours to see if someone would be nice enough to help you get some HQ gear. You could also try posting in the carbuncle forums to alert someone that you need assistance.
By cubia59 2017-03-08 14:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

What server are you on?

Ah :(

I was gonna say if you were on Asura we could do some of that tonight.

I'm sure you could shout during peak hours to see if someone would be nice enough to help you get some HQ gear. You could also try posting in the carbuncle forums to alert someone that you need assistance.

I could give it a shot yes. I've worked on it today and I have a full ignominy set +1. Managed to solo the last boss of rhapsody of vanadiel (as DRK and 5 trusts). I'll try to get more gear/ask for help etc.

And of course, I'll keep my eyes on this thread. :)
 Sylph.Darkside
Server: Sylph
user: Kensai98
By Sylph.Darkside 2017-03-08 17:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Thorva said: »
I would post the video but I died so fast haha

Yeah.... you and the rune kept healing it. And someone was lacking on cure spells in the pt... You two and your damn light sc...

edit: calad exceeded my original expectations from months ago when we were talking about it's validity on drk. I am hoping to get enough hmp to wrap up calad and redemption. Almost time for me to start working on drk again, fn aza beating me in dps.... not cool yo...

Aza you can share the video to my inbox! I wont laugh I swear =) The tough spot for me is all my close friends are here on Sylph but they don't play much so I find myself doing stuff alone A LOT. So I do die fast, more often than I would like to admit. lol If it wasn't for them I would just server jump and come chill with you guys and see all this stuff first hand. Plus since you guys would destroy me in DPS I would LIVE LONGER! ;)
By irrelliuss 2017-03-09 20:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

1. I got Caro necklace because front page here says to. I also have Fotia, which a lot of other pages say to get. Is one or the other better for Apoc? What is the reasoning?

3. I have a Karieyh ring, which has WS ACC and WS damage, paired with Refescent for WS. Is Shukuyu STR+7 going to outdo the WS ACC+5 and WS Damage+3% for Catastrophe? I notice the guide only has Karieyh for Torc setup and was wondering if I could find out why without reading through 117 pages of this post.

1. They are side grades really, Caro will produce a better avg, fotia will 1% of the time be great :D The bigger question is do you need fotias acc? If so use it, if not decide which of the above is better for you.

2. Thats just a wall of excuses, make groups and get it done. If none are really doing it, that means all want/need it. Be a leader. You have geo, so go that and burn some trees down, you will want 2 valo bodies, one for DA one for STP, and then get Omen body which solo you could do in a week probably. Quicker now with omen update coming. Argosy is a GS thing not scythe really. The af+3 stuff all is scythe oriented.

3. The ring is BiS, but not many (myself included) are willing to have minimal gains for ws, when there other rings offer so much more, so its normally not added. If you have the means to +1, then its a different story as the +1 is amazing.

1. Ok, understood.

2. I want to know what is good to wear to go get that stuff. "Get er done" is what I want to do, but I want a good equip set to do it. The whole reason I'm gearing up is to have a good enough set to fight the mobs that drop these bodies.

3. +1 seems like a lot of annoying questing.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-03-09 23:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the catch 22- you don't have the gear to farm some of the stuff, solo at least. But you can certainly team up and get an omen buddy or two to get cards for body. You can certainly form a shout group for duke vepar for argosy body. That's totally within your control. Though you won't be able to do much to him on drk in your current state, you have other jobs that can make the challenge worthwhile. You don't need to do the content in Drk to get the gear.

And since you brought up paying someone to merc....spare yourself the excuse that you can't afford something. Ambuscade exists every month and has 80~ million gil worth of rewards. Salvage, dynamis, also exists. If you can pay someone to merc argosy you can pay someone to merc valorous, but you don't have to.

Geomancer is an excuse to join content. If you're stubborn and want to join solely on Drk, then you'll need to work your easy through the ranks of gear progression before you can tackle yakshi spam. But don't fool yourself in thinking there's an honor system for Drk, our any job. You don't have to be in the job to do said content. That's just being dense. You can be a corsair and farm white mage gear.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-03-10 00:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So..... The set bonus's are nice for the acc. But overall what a dry update for drk lol...

ALL NEW DRKS CAN GET FULL FLAMMA AND SULVEIA THIS MONTH
By cubia59 2017-03-10 05:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So..... The set bonus's are nice for the acc. But overall what a dry update for drk lol...

Damn I purchased the full sulevia's set right before the update (NQ). But I'm only doing Ambuscade on my own and getting enough Hallmarks for HQ might be difficult.

Thanks for telling us tho !

Edit : they're asking undead kills to spam the Intense Ambu. Any tips as to do it as fast as possible ? Undead / Elementals located right next to a survival guide for example.

Edit 2 : damn, I gave the new intense ambuscade a shot and thought it'd be the same mob but they're 3 and bravura just literally one shotted my PLD and I was next, haha. Guess I'll have to do VE run for 50 hallmarks each. ^^;
By irrelliuss 2017-03-10 13:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn I purchased the full sulevia's set right before the update (NQ). But I'm only doing Ambuscade on my own and getting enough Hallmarks for HQ might be difficult.

Thanks for telling us tho !

Edit : they're asking undead kills to spam the Intense Ambu. Any tips as to do it as fast as possible ? Undead / Elementals located right next to a survival guide for example.

Edit 2 : damn, I gave the new intense ambuscade a shot and thought it'd be the same mob but they're 3 and bravura just literally one shotted my PLD and I was next, haha. Guess I'll have to do VE run for 50 hallmarks each. ^^;

There' a proto-waypoint which ports you to the West Ronfaure entrance to Bostaunieux Oubilette. Tons of undead in there.

Ru Aun Gardens is infested with elementals. There are 5 homepoints there

Sometimes it takes a day or two to figure out best strategy on new Ambuscades.
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-03-10 14:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Ok, understood.

2. I want to know what is good to wear to go get that stuff. "Get er done" is what I want to do, but I want a good equip set to do it. The whole reason I'm gearing up is to have a good enough set to fight the mobs that drop these bodies.

3. +1 seems like a lot of annoying questing.

So Buukki pretty much summed it up right about.... here
That's the catch 22- you don't have the gear to farm some of the stuff, solo at least. But you can certainly team up and get an omen buddy or two to get cards for body. You can certainly form a shout group for duke vepar for argosy body. That's totally within your control. Though you won't be able to do much to him on drk in your current state, you have other jobs that can make the challenge worthwhile. You don't need to do the content in Drk to get the gear.

And since you brought up paying someone to merc....spare yourself the excuse that you can't afford something. Ambuscade exists every month and has 80~ million gil worth of rewards. Salvage, dynamis, also exists. If you can pay someone to merc argosy you can pay someone to merc valorous, but you don't have to.

Geomancer is an excuse to join content. If you're stubborn and want to join solely on Drk, then you'll need to work your easy through the ranks of gear progression before you can tackle yakshi spam. But don't fool yourself in thinking there's an honor system for Drk, our any job. You don't have to be in the job to do said content. That's just being dense. You can be a corsair and farm white mage gear.

Nobody, and I repeat NOBODY, likes playing a job they are forced on, just to work on a job they prefer. However if you can find some small enjoyment on other jobs, you will progress fast enough it won't matter.

I highly suggest leveling whm or sch, I hate both of them, but I am a terrible example, I hate most jobs in the game. That being said, I tell you whm or sch because there is always a shortage of them in the game, seems like everyone and their grandma has idris geo now, so it isn't as invite friendly as it used to be. When I swap off my preferred jobs it is mostly to blm for events, otherwise I sch or rune for pick up groups because it is a fast invite. Even then we are still looking for a whm half the time.

Now that story time is over, unless you have a massive amount of game time to play and feel like doing things the hard way, you need to level/gear sch, whm, and blm. That is the fastest possible route to gearing what you enjoy.

Unfortunately it isn't the best idea to try and go drk in a group without all the gear for it. The dps on drk is terrible until really geared up, better off doing support or running up a blm really quick to make sure they are quick and easy kills.
By cubia59 2017-03-11 19:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bit disappointed because I've soloed 18x Ambuscade (Regular) on Normal 18 times today just to get my feet +1 Sulevia and to my surprise, the set is not available this month... Flamma is though.

Should I grab all +1 tickets and wait till Sulevia set +1 is avaiable or is Flamma set+1 better ?

Edit : nevermind, just checked the feet +1 ticket and it only grants access to this month's sets, meaning I'm screwed and have no hope of getting Sulevia set+1. Damn....
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2017-03-11 19:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bit disappointed because I've soloed 18x Ambuscade (Regular) on Normal 18 times today just to get my feet +1 Sulevia and to my surprise, the set is not available this month... Flamma is thought.

Should I grab all +1 tickets and wait till Sulevia set +1 is avaiable or is Flamma set+1 better ?
You can still get Sulevia +1 from buying Ambuscade Vouchers +1 with Gallantry. It will just take longer than obtaining Flamma +1.

Aim for both sets.
By cubia59 2017-03-11 19:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »

Bit disappointed because I've soloed 18x Ambuscade (Regular) on Normal 18 times today just to get my feet +1 Sulevia and to my surprise, the set is not available this month... Flamma is thought.

You can still get Sulevia +1 from buying Ambuscade Vouchers +1 with Gallantry. It will just take longer than obtaining Flamma +1.

Aim for both sets.

Sadly I am soloing Ambuscade. I was planning to do 145 runs of Ambuscade (Regular, Normal) on my own to get full Sulevia +1 but if that's really with gallantry, I won't be able to do it. I tried Intense Ambuscade on very easy on my own and there are 3 mobs now instead of one previously and I cannot solo it anymore. Guess I'll only be able to get Flamma +1 set once I've done the 130 runs left...

Edit : and just figured that even if I do duo regular Ambu on normal, you get 10 gallantry... I am not even going to count how many runs I'd need to get the +1 set or I'm going to cry haha.

I'll try to get Flamma +1 and deal with it. Nothing much I can do.

Are all parts of Flamma +1 that great or do I only need specific parts ?
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2017-03-11 20:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly I am soloing Ambuscade. I was planning to do 145 runs of Ambuscade (Regular, Normal) on my own to get full Sulevia +1 but if that's really with gallantry, I won't be able to do it. I tried Intense Ambuscade on very easy on my own and there are 3 mobs now instead of one previously and I cannot solo it anymore. Guess I'll only be able to get Flamma +1 set once I've done the 130 runs left...

Edit : and just figured that even if I do duo regular Ambu on normal, you get 10 gallantry... I am not even going to count how many runs I'd need to get the +1 set or I'm going to cry haha.

I'll try to get Flamma +1 and deal with it. Nothing much I can do.

Are all parts of Flamma +1 that great or do I only need specific parts ?

I would say Head, Body and Legs are rather invaluable. Hands you'll want Emicho/Emicho+1 for Store TP and High-Acc Builds. I don't think Flamma Feet can overtake the potential that Valorous Feet and Carmine/Carmine+1 serve. However, it may help to get those other pieces if you're strictly going solo, especially until you find success in obtaining Emicho/Valorous/Carmine.

I would still encourage trying to find a party to farm Gallantry, even if it's a pick-up group. The opportunity to obtain both sets might not be for long, and this month's Volume 2 is stupidly easy.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-03-11 20:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

@ cubia59 and others in his position ~

You are never forced to be a drk, if atm you have such a low quality drk you cannot do a PUG and spam N with other newer players to get decent gallanrty etc on V1, this is my suggestion.

Level another job, one that caters to a group. This can be atm GEO, ***** WHM ***** or even PLD (low lv of gear to tank decent). All 3 of these are always in demand, take little gear to start, and will allow you into fights where drk cant be anyhow (manaburn etc).

The sets are just to good to pass up, and a player in ffxi in 2017 cant be a "1 job" person, you wont enjoy the game and will quit.
 Asura.Biglovin
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2017-03-11 22:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The sets are just to good to pass up, and a player in ffxi in 2017 cant be a "1 job" person, you wont enjoy the game and will quit.

Unless you're Jimothy. Then Rdm is all you need.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-03-11 22:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

even jim has run and cor!
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-03-11 22:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

*** that, I went PUP to almost everything. I think I tanked once on my half geared RUN (at the time) when a PLD disconnected.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2017-03-11 22:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You are never forced to be a drk
Unless you're me.
=P
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 206 207 208