Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-08 15:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
Frobeus said:

Mostly because your subbing thf in the first place. Subbing thf on war is super oldschool and while that one WS will be pretty your at a severe disadvantage for the rest of w/e it is your doing.

War/thf = only for 2hr'd omgwtf$texasepeen shots.

So its the same as SAM/anything that is not WAR is instant fail, rather than SC is a bad WS to use for trick attack?

(inb4 SAM/NIN, SAM/DRG, SAM/THF, SAM/??? has uses...

I know but generally WAR is the 'best' general purpose sub for SAM).

Not entirely. I use Sam/Thf a crapload. With War you tp much more slowly, have limited SC options, and will most likely do much less damage spamming SC with less than 300 tp than you would with RR and KJ, which of course are sucky with thf sub.

You "can" sub thf on war, but your going to have limited utility and you'll be gimped everywhere else other than 300 tp SASC. I can't remember a time in the last 2 years where war/thf was a needed option.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-06-08 16:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

Alky/Pallas > Warrior's Muffs for SC. A/P > WF for KJ. WF > A/P for RR.

For reasons stated above, your just getting alot more from STR than you will from VIT and att.

RR is a crit based WS so you do not want the -dex from the gigas brac, so WF would be a better choice here. However! Heca is def better than WF for RR.

Thanks for the info Frob & Raen.
What is WF? did you mean WMufflers? How do a) WarMuff+1 and b) HecaHands compare to A/P Bracelets for RRush and KJ?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-08 16:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Altar said:
Frobeus said:

Alky/Pallas > Warrior's Muffs for SC. A/P > WF for KJ. WF > A/P for RR.

For reasons stated above, your just getting alot more from STR than you will from VIT and att.

RR is a crit based WS so you do not want the -dex from the gigas brac, so WF would be a better choice here. However! Heca is def better than WF for RR.

Thanks for the info Frob & Raen.
What is WF? did you mean WMufflers? How do a) WarMuff+1 and b) HecaHands compare to A/P Bracelets for RRush and KJ?

Yeah WF = War Muffs lol, screwed that up

SC = Alk/Pal
KJ on low eva mob = Alk/Pal (better said, Hi acc situations)
KJ on high eva mob = Heca (better said, Low acc situations)
RR = Heca

Relic+1 = town gear and inv-1
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-06-08 17:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

Not entirely. I use Sam/Thf a crapload. With War you tp much more slowly, have limited SC options, and will most likely do much less damage spamming SC with less than 300 tp than you would with RR and KJ, which of course are sucky with thf sub.

You "can" sub thf on war, but your going to have limited utility and you'll be gimped everywhere else other than 300 tp SASC. I can't remember a time in the last 2 years where war/thf was a needed option.

I know a few SAMs that don't like anything other than /WAR, although THF is more 'useful' on any mob that needs to be tanked. They are don't like giving up their attack buffs just so they can give some one else hate.

I don't even want to bring up the SA vs Overwhelm arguement.

I forgot unlike SAM, WAR (and anyother 2 hander) need to /SAM to make a 6 hit, so are more sensitive about subbing something else.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-06-08 23:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

Pretty nice setup, do you have an osode, or any other legs than haidate?
The only thing your getting from haidate is ~11 or 12 acc. Can def replace with something better.

since i use it never i dont really care
Raging Rush/Kings Justice onry

but on a side not i just noticed i threw heca hands on it >.>
i use alkys on SC and heca for RR/KJ
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-09 08:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
Frobeus said:

I know a few SAMs that don't like anything other than /WAR, although THF is more 'useful' on any mob that needs to be tanked. They are don't like giving up their attack buffs just so they can give some one else hate.

I don't even want to bring up the SA vs Overwhelm arguement.

I forgot unlike SAM, WAR (and anyother 2 hander) need to /SAM to make a 6 hit, so are more sensitive about subbing something else.

Just sayin on the Sam/thf thing, I never had a problem with overwhelm vs SA since it pretty much balances out for me. Being able to TA Gek the tank that is standing in from of the mob for almost the same as being able to SATA a tank in the back is pretty useful imo.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-06-09 08:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I was a mage first so I am still learning about all this melee stuff, and conflicting info always seems to confuse the ***out of me. My only question is about body. Does Heca body have any place on a war?

If curious I use for SC;
Perdu Voulge
Pole or Mythril+1 (usually Mythril cause i only use SC with WC and 300%)
Bomb core, Genbu hat (no n.head), Snow gorget, Triumph x2 (no brutal yet), Hauberk, N.hand., Haidate, N.feet, Amemet+1, warwolf.
..and I don't like the -dex on alky/pallas, and I have af2 leg but I keep it stored usually. I'll never get most of the best stuff probably, but I try to be as good as I can be. I've just not gotten around to buying a foragers. If I used my war more I would carry pallas and af2, but I almost never use it cause I'm rdm onry.

lolwar, signing out!
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-09 08:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Tallulah said:
I was a mage first so I am still learning about all this melee stuff, and conflicting info always seems to confuse the ***out of me. My only question is about body. Does Heca body have any place on a war?

If curious I use for SC;
Perdu Voulge
Pole or Mythril+1 (usually Mythril cause i only use SC with WC and 300%)
Bomb core, Genbu hat (no n.head), Snow gorget, Triumph x2 (no brutal yet), Hauberk, N.hand., Haidate, N.feet, Amemet+1, warwolf.
..and I don't like the -dex on alky/pallas, and I have af2 leg but I keep it stored usually. I'll never get most of the best stuff probably, but I try to be as good as I can be. I've just not gotten around to buying a foragers. If I used my war more I would carry pallas and af2, but I almost never use it cause I'm rdm onry.

lolwar, signing out!

N body is a pretty sweet for KJ.

The setup for SC looks pretty good, relic would be better than haidate (but you covered that already)

Alk/Pal would be better than heca for SC, situationaly for KJ and never for RR.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-06-09 09:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Since we're posting sets:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=87909

Obvious improvements would be N Head and Alkys. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [113 days between previous and next post]
 Seraph.Cynbernet
Server: Seraph
user: Cynbernet
By Seraph.Cynbernet 2009-09-30 03:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

what do you think about this ? (have the erlking's in main)
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=112458

I thinking about change my amemet with a knightly mantle to have more vit.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-09-30 03:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If possible, get a Genbu's Kabuto. +15 VIT on a heavy VIT WS is awesome.

Personally I'd used this, but that was mostly because WAR was my first DD job, and now I have SAM/NIN levelled I haven't touched WAR in over a year.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-09-30 03:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

King's Justice

Steel Cyclone

Raging Rush
(Per RR VS Birds i use Haubergeon and Spinel Ring to hit dex117, cap crit rate on G.Colibri)

Champions Galea is augmented with STR+6/WS ACC+15/Haste+2
Erlkings Kheten is Augmented with DMG:97/ATT+6/DA+2
depending what im fighting i use it over Perdu when i dont need the extra acc in WS

Quote:

the 10/15 att from the nq/hq is > vit in this case
as u need it to help break thro the mobs DEF/VIT
 Seraph.Cynbernet
By Seraph.Cynbernet 2009-09-30 04:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

this is my dilemna : is kabuto better than champion galea ? SC miss sometimes and I thought WS acc+15 would be usefull ...
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-09-30 04:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

SC is a one hit ws(cap acc and u still have a 5% chance of missing), just boost mods and pray it hits
thus why idc about the -dex from alkys

and as SAM im the same way for Y/G/K
but i use Galea on SAM mainly for the STR+6 i augmented on it
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-30 04:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cynbernet said:
what do you think about this ? (have the erlking's in main)
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=112458

Just no, save the money and put it towards Amemet mantle +1

Work on getting sky access (you only have 1 fight left to do) and try and get heca feet. Sky is very good to WAR and worth the effort.
 Seraph.Cynbernet
By Seraph.Cynbernet 2009-09-30 06:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Krazyrs said:
SC is a one hit ws(cap acc and u still have a 5% chance of missing), just boost mods and pray it hits
thus why idc about the -dex from alkys

and as SAM im the same way for Y/G/K
but i use Galea on SAM mainly for the STR+6 i augmented on it

what stats should I take for galea ? I'm not sure if I want to make a tp or ws equipment. war is my main and only job.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-30 07:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

STR+4 WS Acc+15, AGI+4 WS damage +2%

Is the best combo for a WS head.

DEX+2 Haste+2%, Haste +3% "Snapshot" +2%

Is the best combo for TP

The TP head doesn't offer much that you can't get through other means (Turban), the 2 DEX is a little lol and the snapshot is irrelevant.

So IMO take the WS hat, the combination of STR, ACC and WS damage makes it unique and works for all your WS (steel cyclone, raging rush and kings justice)
 Pandemonium.Bonlack
Server: Pandemonium
user: Bonlack
By Pandemonium.Bonlack 2009-09-30 07:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Since Steel Cyclone is a 50/50 mod on str/vit you pump that up as much as possible. IMO This WS is pretty much useless except a 300% SATA on a HNM. Anyways Osode is the best body to use for Cyckone. It gives you all the mods you need where heca and adaman fall short. 10 vit/str/dex and the dex counts as some acc. Genbus Kabuto is def the best head piece to use b/c of the huge vit bonus. THen pretty much everything else you can scatter vit and str gear. I use foragers mantle flame/rajas ring the correct sea gorget, warwolf belt, heca hands, and this is optional to use rutters with the 5att 3str and 2vit or just use heca as well. As for the weapon tough to say, Martial is good for the TP bonus but i think perdu voulge+ raging rush or kings justice would def out damage any war using bhuj and steel cyclone.
 Seraph.Cynbernet
By Seraph.Cynbernet 2009-09-30 07:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a topic somewhere wich explains wich ws use in wich case ? since I've steel cyclone I always use it ...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-30 08:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah here's the thread we have for the top 3 GA sets. The good ones are on page 2 I think.
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/index.php?topic_id=4812
 Bismarck.Makai
Server: Bismarck
user: M4k4i
By Bismarck.Makai 2009-09-30 08:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO Nhead > Genboon's, the large amount of STR helps breaking the target's VIT.

I only use Steel Cyclone with 300% tp, /THF and SATA on tank while doing Gods or in zerg-situations with 2h, which means it's awesome for one big bang on high-level-mobs with a huge amount of VIT. In most other cases, RR or KJ are the much better options.
 Caitsith.Foliage
Server: Caitsith
user: Foliage
By Caitsith.Foliage 2009-09-30 08:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got WAR75 but I know what I'd like for a good steel cyclone build, most of which I already have. Here's my personal build and it's meant, not for the highest damage steel cyclone but the highest damage possible while weaponskilling as often as possible.

A.) First off, the merits are as follows:
5/5 Warcry Recast
5/5 Double Attack Rate
5/5 Warrior's Charge
5/5 Savagery

While Double attack rate and Warrior's charge caps are obvious, you may wonder why I've chosen Warcry Recast and Savagery caps. Well, to obtain the best steel cyclone and produce significant damage increase, you need to perform steel cyclone at 300% TP. With savagery maxed, under the effect of Warcry, the amount of TP needed to produce the damage of a 300% TP steel cyclone is be reduced to 250% TP. Now this explains why you would max out Warcry recast, you can more often pull off a max damage steel cyclone with 50% less TP.

B.) Next we'll look at gear, things are interchangable dependant upon your availability of items and/or your preferences. This is gear that is morderately easy to obtain, I've not added any Salvage Pieces or any Odin Exclusive pieces as these are out of reach for me at the moment anyhow.

Main: Martial Bhuj
Sub: Mythril Grip +1 or Axe Grip (both work quite well)
Ammo: Bomb Core
Head: Hecatomb Cap
Neck: Kubira bead necklace (Fortitude Torque or a Sea gorget work well too)
Ears: Triumph Earring x2 or Triumph Earring and Bushinomimi
Body: Kirin's Osode
Hands: Alkyoneus's Bracelets
Rings: Flame Ring x2 or Flame Ring and Rajas Ring
Back: Forager's Mantle
Belt: Warwolf Belt
Legs: Aurum Cuisses
Feet: Hecatomb Leggings

The main thing that makes this build is the Martial Bhuj. No, it's not the highest damage greataxe but this added to savagery makes it so that, while you are under the effect of Warcry, you can pull off a max damage steel cyclone at 150% TP and when not under the effect of Warcry, at 200% TP. A good thing about that is that if you find it doesn't suit your preferences, you can always sell the Martial Bhuj back.

Well, I hope this helps and I hope I didn't forget anything.
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Server: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-09-30 09:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Foliage said:
I just got WAR75 but I know what I'd like for a good steel cyclone build, most of which I already have. Here's my personal build and it's meant, not for the highest damage steel cyclone but the highest damage possible while weaponskilling as often as possible.

A.) First off, the merits are as follows:
5/5 Warcry Recast
5/5 Double Attack Rate
5/5 Warrior's Charge
5/5 Savagery

While Double attack rate and Warrior's charge caps are obvious, you may wonder why I've chosen Warcry Recast and Savagery caps. Well, to obtain the best steel cyclone and produce significant damage increase, you need to perform steel cyclone at 300% TP. With savagery maxed, under the effect of Warcry, the amount of TP needed to produce the damage of a 300% TP steel cyclone is be reduced to 250% TP. Now this explains why you would max out Warcry recast, you can more often pull off a max damage steel cyclone with 50% less TP.

B.) Next we'll look at gear, things are interchangable dependant upon your availability of items and/or your preferences. This is gear that is morderately easy to obtain, I've not added any Salvage Pieces or any Odin Exclusive pieces as these are out of reach for me at the moment anyhow.

Main: Martial Bhuj
Sub: Mythril Grip +1 or Axe Grip (both work quite well)
Ammo: Bomb Core
Head: Hecatomb Cap
Neck: Kubira bead necklace (Fortitude Torque or a Sea gorget work well too)
Ears: Triumph Earring x2 or Triumph Earring and Bushinomimi
Rings: Flame Ring x2 or Flame Ring and Rajas Ring
Back: Forager's Mantle
Legs: Aurum Cuisses

The main thing that makes this build is the Martial Bhuj. No, it's not the highest damage greataxe but this added to savagery makes it so that, while you are under the effect of Warcry, you can pull off a max damage steel cyclone at 150% TP and when not under the effect of Warcry, at 200% TP. A good thing about that is that if you find it doesn't suit your preferences, you can always sell the Martial Bhuj back.

Well, I hope this helps and I hope I didn't forget anything.

...You realise you'll gain more damage (Both through dot and greater attack values for WS calculations) with bergressor right?

50% more tp < an extra 50 seconds of +25%att/+25acc...
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-30 09:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 DA
5/5 Berserk
If you play as an aggressive WAR with decent gear

4/5 DA
3/5 Berserk
3/5 Aggressor
If you want to play as a slightly more conservative WAR (or lack the gear to live without aggressor)

Also, Relic legs are great for SC.
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Server: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-09-30 10:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
5/5 DA
5/5 Berserk

This is the only way to do it.
 Hades.Clack
Server: Hades
user: cocl
By Hades.Clack 2009-09-30 16:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeeeeep said:
Argettio said:
5/5 DA
5/5 Berserk

This is the only way to do it.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Assuming you have capped accuracy for the most part, thats a good choice. I personally would go with 3/5 Berserk, 3/5 Aggressor, 4/5 DA. If you're uncapped on accuracy (see: mamools, dynamis xarc/beau) the extra 25 accuracy helps to cap you. But like any job, its all about what works for you.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-10-01 03:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

(see: mamools, dynamis xarc/beau)

see food: Marinara Pizza +1

i went 5/5 berserk/da AND 8/8 GAXE
 Hades.Clack
Server: Hades
user: cocl
By Hades.Clack 2009-10-01 03:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, it's all about what works for you. Personally I prefer meat to pizza. Carbonara especially because it gives me my 6 hit since I don't have a rajas ring.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Jingles
Server: Siren
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2009-11-09 02:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's been mentioned, but for Taru, Creek mitts and clomps are also great SC pieces to consider.
 Fenrir.Retin
user: Jeniffer
By Fenrir.Retin 2009-11-09 02:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't usually go WAR to events with my LS, prefering SAM/THF if I want dam, but in nyzul groups for example I use to build up 300%TP for SC before the boss, and here is what I use.
My SC set:
Main: Perdu Voulge
Sub: Axe Grip
Ammo: Fire Bomblet
Head: Maat's Cap/Heca cap(situational, and dependant on WC/MS)
Neck: Gorget always
Ears: Brutal(if no WC)+Bushinomimi
Rings: Flame Ring and Rajas Ring
Back: Cuchulain's Mantle
Legs: Hachiryu Haidate