Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Meebles grimoires
Meebles grimoires
 Lakshmi.Bladewing
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: bladewing
By Lakshmi.Bladewing 2012-11-21 11:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone help me out here? I don't quite understand the purpose of the different grimoires. Is there a special way to separate them and the runs or something?
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-11-21 12:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The grimoires can be used individually to gather certain boons as the party leader who takes you in the borrows transfer those boons to all party members. Most commonly to be used to get up to Researcher 4 (Bonus to Spoils).

More info can be read here:
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Meeble_Burrows
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-21 12:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure originally it was meant to make the event more shout friendly (If you see a shout for something you have progress in, pull out a different grimore instead). Most people use the multiple-grimore system to focus on getting one specific buff on boss chambers though- Researcher #4.

Since buffs from everyone's grimore is applied, you can have your group saving Researcher #4 buffs on separate books, then take turns on using a Researcher #4-marked grimore each progression so you can get increased spoils on every boss with only needing to run Researcher #1-3 every so often.

Yes, it's a stupid system and whoever thought of it should burn in the depths of VG developer hell.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Bladewing
By Lakshmi.Bladewing 2012-11-21 12:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Found that and been reading it but what I am missing is how to rotate them. We have 4 members for example. All members need the 5 bosses to get to the main boss, unless i miss understand that. does someone have a good system of how to rotate a given number of grims between said 4 members to get the most out of it and see main boss sooner is more what I am looking for I guess?
 Leviathan.Egonn
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2012-11-21 12:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

While we're on the topic, can you purchase the KI's after you kill Uma or has that not been implemented yet?
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-21 12:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, let's name the players ABCD, and have grimores 1234 for each person.

So you're just starting out, and if you want build a researcher #4 stock, obviously you need to actually unlock it first. So let's say you get Grimore 1 for each person up to Researcher #4. Now you can start building Researcher #4 stock by passing leader around doing this:

A1 selects Researcher #4, BCD all trade grimore 2, do one run.
B2 selects Researcher #4, A trades grimore 2, CD trades grimore 3.
C2/3 selects Researcher #4, A trades grimore 2, B trades grimore 3, D trades grimore 4.
D2/3/4 selects Researcher #4, A trades grimore 3, BC trades grimore 4.

Assumedly now you have Grimore 1 on everyone ready for a Sarmursk or Dreyruk run (if you want to use up 4 at once, or buy a 5th book and rerun #1~4 for whatever path you want or doing Umagrhk spam to save 3 more buffs for the future), and you have an extra stock of 11 more Researcher #4 marked grimores, because only one person needs to have a particular buff on a grimore for it to apply to everyone for boss chambers (normal chambers you only get whatever buffs are on your book specifically).

Like I said, it's a needlessly complicated and asinine system and whoever designed it can kiss my ***.

Quote:
While we're on the topic, can you purchase the KI's after you kill Uma or has that not been implemented yet?

You can buy them with gil after killing Umagrhk once. It costs 1M total to buy all 5 KIs for him. 160k for T1, 180k for T2, 200k T3, 220k T4, 240k T5. Gilsink for super-rich players that just want to be done with it, I guess.

Furthermore, there are certain items that will not be unlocked for purchase unless you have achieved goal 3 in every single mission.
 Lakshmi.Bladewing
By Lakshmi.Bladewing 2012-11-21 12:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you this is what I was looking for... and yes asinine system is probably being nice...
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-21 12:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

For the record, people have gotten the rare drops off Umagrhk (Matanca Harness and Manasa Chasuble) both with and without the use of the Researcher #4 buff. It's not too clear at this point what it actually does. It's up to you whether you want to do all this mental juggling and recording of what buffs who in your group has (not to mention wasting 4 inventory spaces), or just to say "*** it" and run with only 1 grimore all the time.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-11 23:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Kincard, I think your suggested system can be simplified, unless I'm misunderstanding something. I've been trying to think of an efficient way to get R#4 for every boss (my group still needs gear from all bosses, so we are doing them all).

We have six people and two grimoires:
- Diligence Grimoire
- Avidity Grimoire

All six players trade Avidity Grimoire to the NPC. Then we proceed to complete R#1 through R#4.

Now we have six books with R#4 marked. Then any 1->5 rank clear or monkey run will go like this:
- One player trades their boosted Avidity Grimoire
- All the rest of the players trade their Diligence
- Profit

Since there are six bosses and six people with R#4 grimoires, this enables you to have the boost on every boss run. So it's a four sack penalty to get Bonus to Spoils six times in this case.

If this is flawed in any way or can be improved upon, I'm very interested to hear back!
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-12-12 00:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

An interesting facet of meeble burrows can be gotten by combinding the fact there is 1) no lvl requirement 2) its easy to get rank 1-2 with onle 1-2 99 chars 3) lvl 1 mules on your main account can hold grimores go into meeble runs and and dbox drops and KI purchaceable items to your mains.

Runs would be:

day type 1:
1) 6geared 99mains/mules (or 2 groups of 4-5 if doing 2 attempts of iggy) do iggy path 1-3.
2) 2 of above chars enter #4 accompanied by up to 4 lvl 1 mules on other's accounts
3) repeat until all mains have done #4
4) do 1-2 iggys or monkeys with mains

Now there are a lot of lvl 1 mules with bonus to spoils.

Day type 2: Decide what boss you want to kill.
1) split up into teams using bare minimum to kill boss
2) each group invites one of the lvl 1 mules. (of the person that needs the drop if they are not on the run)
3) do 1-4 of whichever path you want.
4) Lvl 1 char takes you into expedition 5.

Each run uses up 1 of the lvl 1 mule's bonus to spoils. You do 2-4 boss kills per day, and all of them have bonus to spoils. All of them are lotable by the specific people that need the drops.

Edit: This makes your runs take a little longer as it takes some character shuffling and does require a few people to pay a few extra dollars for mules, but I still think its the most efficient way of doing it as it doesn't consume any extra days on your mains to get enhanced spoils. After 25 days if you cycled kills and such you could actually use lvl1 mules to have bonus to spoils for the monkey also if you really wanted.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-12 00:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

heh, that's pretty cool, Sawtelle. Definitely more efficient but the complexity me weep!! :) Gotta admit I hadn't considered using Lv1 main account mules though, that's a sweet tag multiplier.

thanks for the input
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2012-12-12 00:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Quote:

You can buy them with gil after killing Umagrhk once. It costs 1M total to buy all 5 KIs for him. 160k for T1, 180k for T2, 200k T3, 220k T4, 240k T5. Gilsink for super-rich players that just want to be done with it, I guess.

Just to add a little to this, you get that option whether or not you kill Umagrhk after the first time you fight him. Throwing that out there in the case you're worrying that you won't get the option to buy them if you wipe.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-12-12 01:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So they fixed the bug where occasionally no boons would be added if only one person had bonus to spoils on their grimoire? People have been posting about it on BG for some time now; I wasn't aware it was fixed. Someone posted about it in the bugs section on the official forum as well.
 Cerberus.Keeo
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Keeo 2012-12-12 02:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want to check all the status boons you have gained on one grimoire stay up to the point you do expedition 5.
So if you wanted to you could collect all stats from all expeditions and they carry over to the driffrent ranks?
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-12 03:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Kincard, I think your suggested system can be simplified, unless I'm misunderstanding something. I've been trying to think of an efficient way to get R#4 for every boss (my group still needs gear from all bosses, so we are doing them all).

We have six people and two grimoires:
- Diligence Grimoire
- Avidity Grimoire

All six players trade Avidity Grimoire to the NPC. Then we proceed to complete R#1 through R#4.

Now we have six books with R#4 marked. Then any 1->5 rank clear or monkey run will go like this:
- One player trades their boosted Avidity Grimoire
- All the rest of the players trade their Diligence
- Profit

Since there are six bosses and six people with R#4 grimoires, this enables you to have the boost on every boss run. So it's a four sack penalty to get Bonus to Spoils six times in this case.

If this is flawed in any way or can be improved upon, I'm very interested to hear back!

Well, your method is basically the same as mine, except you're limiting it to just the first step and end up with 2 books per person. It depends on the size of your group, but if you use more than 2 books per person, you need to do it like that in order to minimize the amount of sacks wasted doing ***. Researcher #1-4/Researcher #1-3 to reach Researcher #4. Consider:

4 people with Book A and Book B. You run Researcher #1-4 normally. Now 3 people switch to Book B and leader uses Book A to mark Researcher #4 on the other people. This is essentially what you're suggesting, as well as the first step of my suggestion.

However, if you want to go beyond this, you want to start taking turns as to who's trading the book, otherwise you'll end up with less marked books than you could've had. For example, if you just had the leader kept leading the run with Book A while the other 3 members did Books C and D, you'd end up with:
1 person with Book A marked, 3 people with Book ABCD marked, total of 13 books across 4 runs. If you wanted to do more runs, you would be "wasting runs" on the other 3 people and only getting extra marked books for the leader.

If instead you swapped the person leading each time, you'd can instead end up with the leader have ABC and everyone else having ABCD for a total of 15 marked books across 5 runs, whereas in the first example it would take 6 runs. It's a small difference I guess, but each sack is worth 20 hours so it's probably nice to just stock up on as much bonus to spoils as you can if you're going to bother.

I'm probaly making it sound more complicated than it should anyway. The tl;dr of it is:
1. Take turns being the leader
2. Keep track of your own books
That's really all your group needs to do. The most annoying part is just the inventory space it takes up.

Quote:
I just want to check all the status boons you have gained on one grimoire stay up to the point you do expedition 5.
So if you wanted to you could collect all stats from all expeditions and they carry over to the driffrent ranks?

Yeah, you can do this. Remember that boons from all 6 members are combined when you enter a boss chamber, so you can actually split your group of 6 into two groups of 3 to farm two seperate paths if you want to get specific boons from different branches.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-12-12 03:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

ok.. maybe stupid question... but dont all ppl need the mission 1-4 completed on the grimoire to fight the boss of that rank?

Or can you use this method you described just for the mega-mega-boss? (Umagrhk) where everyone just needs the 5 KI to access the fight
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-12 04:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, you do. But since you don't pass through Researcher #4 when doing, say, Goldwing, basically you just have one person take out a Researcher #4 marked grimore each time you start off a run. The other people can use a completely blank grimore and you'll still get the increased spoils buff.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-12-12 04:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

One person with researcher #4 completed uses that grimoire to complete 1-4, while everyone else uses an empty grimoire to complete 1-4. Repeat until all researcher #4 grimoires are used up.

Possible bug: If only one person uses a grimoire with researcher #4 on the final boss, and everyone else uses empty grimoires, occasionally no boons carry over. Not sure if this was fixed.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-12 12:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kincard, thanks for clarifying! I was definitely confused before.