2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » End of FFXIV
End of FFXIV
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
By Enuyasha 2012-11-11 15:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly would've liked to have seen a final battle versus Bahamut knowing you couldn't win. Just like the enhanced mobs in Uldah took little damage. It would've flowed with the whole "the end is nigh and you cant do anything to stop it" vibe that was going on. Overall though, amazing ending video.

as for my experiences with XIV...it was an abortion of a game even with the new changes. I would lag out while mining,players were absolutely ridiculous half the time in endgame PUGs,Leveling a job after everyone was done leveling was awful, and the leves felt half done when you got to crafts and gathering coming from DoW/M. I'm glad 1.0 is gone and ARR is coming.

Now, can we get some sunlight on FFXI? you know, the thing that funded XIV? I might be acting pessimistic at this point but I'd like the game i dedicated 10 years of my life to live a bit longer than a game i only played for a few months.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2012-11-11 15:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mefuki said: »
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Seventh_Umbral_Era#The_Umbral_Eras

They actually patched in environmental changes like that. That. Is. SO. Cool.

Seriously, how cool would it be to have events like this patched into FFXI? Imagine one day, all of a sudden, *boom* Jeuno is under attack or an area of the game gets ravaged by a disaster that we have to reverse. Amazing.
So a 2nd Tavnazia?
 Valefor.Krishpy
Server: Valefor
user: KrispyCat
By Valefor.Krishpy 2012-11-11 15:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Will I need to buy new discs for ARR? Or will it just be a super big update to download?
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2012-11-11 15:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I may have to start playing once the PS3 version comes out.

As far as being swayed by an FMV it is more about their attitude towards the end of the game. 2.0 is about starting over and trying to fix what happened in the past. That's something I can get behind.
 Asura.Escorian
Server: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2012-11-11 15:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Krishpy said: »
Will I need to buy new discs for ARR? Or will it just be a super big update to download?
I believe its a big update.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-11 15:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

When I played earlier this year, exp parties were done in two fashions:

Your party claimed many mobs, and a PL killed them as fast as they could. Unlike XI, anyone could attack, and do as much damage as they were capable of. Claim still stayed with the group that claimed it.

Everyone in the group equipped Fire, which functioned exactly like firaga of XI and nuked. Yeah "PLD/BLMs, MNK/BLMs, WHM/BLMs" all had pretty respectable nuking capability as far as exp was concerned. Someone, typically the tank, pulled all the adds and everyone nuked. Sometimes people died.

The party search tool was just... awful. It was unfathomably bad. You also couldn't tell what job someone -in your group- was if they weren't within a certain range, and within the same zone, as your character.

You couldn't search by name either, and I believe there wasn't text commands like FFXI's /sea.

For what should have been 11 v2, they made a terrible number of more terrible decisions.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2012-11-11 15:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well we know where all of the money from FFXI went to :p
[+]
 Asura.Escorian
Server: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2012-11-11 15:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »

Your party claimed many mobs, and a PL killed them as fast as they could. Unlike XI, anyone could attack, and do as much damage as they were capable of. Claim still stayed with the group that claimed it.

Everyone in the group equipped Fire, which functioned exactly like firaga of XI and nuked. Yeah "PLD/BLMs, MNK/BLMs, WHM/BLMs" all had pretty respectable nuking capability as far as exp was concerned. Someone, typically the tank, pulled all the adds and everyone nuked. Sometimes people died.

The party search tool was just... awful. It was unfathomably bad. You also couldn't tell what job someone -in your group- was if they weren't within a certain range, and within the same zone, as your character.

You couldn't search by name either, and I believe there wasn't text commands like FFXI's /sea.

For what should have been 11 v2, they made a terrible number of more terrible decisions.
The only thing in your post that stated anything bad had to deal with seeing peoples levels and jobs.
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-11 15:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I play a party grinder for the party experience.

Partying in XIV wasn't fun at all. Getting PL'd isn't fun.

Not having a chance to play your class isn't fun.

The old days of XI where you leveled into new abilities or weaponskills and got excited.. Where you equipped (good pieces of) AF for the first time.. FFXIV had none of that glimmer.

FFXIV also tried to make zones scary by putting level 70 and even 90 mobs in the way of your level 50 toon. Imps were scary when you went through mire (XI, of course), but knowing that anything in the zone could one shot you didn't make zones scary, it made them drull. It was like cheap horror movie where they play creepy music and distort the image so you know you're supposed to feel scared. You don't feel scared, but you're supposed to.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-11-11 15:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Escorian said: »

It's a completely new game iirc
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-11-11 16:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said: »

It's a completely new game iirc
I think people mean that you'll have the possibility to download the client (as all games released nowadays?) on say, Lodestone or SE account system, when the game is out as long as you are a customer.
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2012-11-11 16:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have the game already I think it will just be a big update but if you haven't yet you'll need new ones. I'm not sure if you owned discs but never activated codes if you'll be able to use them.
By Enuyasha 2012-11-11 16:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yoshi addressed this last night, People who already were on the game will download the new client via your SE Account. Simply: It's linked to your FFXIV part of your SE Account.
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2012-11-11 16:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

thought there was some talk of mailing the new discs or something.
MSPaint Winner
By OhjiMithra 2012-11-11 16:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

dont kno if this has been posted in this thread but i found the vid of the final song if anyone wants to rip it for themselves. all ready posted it in Random thoughts

[+]
By Xenshi 2012-11-11 16:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »

That's what gets me every time...the game was never supposed to be FFXI v2. It is it's own game with it's own flaws and great ideas. Stop comparing it to FFXI directly and see it as a game all on it's own or you will be forever negative cause nothing will ever live up to your so called greatest moments in FFXI. Yes there's some mechanics of FFXI that were great, but be damned if I want to play FFXI all over again with just better graphics. It's kinda like how all the Madden games have been the exact same game since 2000 but with a different roster and better graphics..but people still pay top dollar every year for them, that's stupid.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-11-11 16:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohji Lunartail said: »
dont kno if this has been posted in this thread but i found the vid of the final song if anyone wants to rip it for themselves. all ready posted it in Random thoughts

Has been in the game files ever since Alpha came out under the name "1D".

I think I still have the original file somewhere, top quality etc.
 Lakshmi.Makochild
Server: Lakshmi
user: makojr
By Lakshmi.Makochild 2012-11-11 16:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Always wanted to give this game a shot after the beta but never did, kinda regret it now.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-11-11 16:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said: »
Such ***. If any game ever actually played like this it'd be awesome, but ranged attacks while moving, tp moves before engaging, and casting teleports outside party? What is this nonsense?

Also, worst thread title I've seen in a while.

Actually each time the Bard shot an arrow they were standing still. And they're in a *** battlefield. How are they not engaged in combat? Also, that's not a teleport spell. That's a "Screw the rules, I'm a servant of the gods" spell that throws the heroes into the future to save them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Seiver
Server: Bismarck
user: Seiver
By Bismarck.Seiver 2012-11-11 16:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

it will be an entirely new client. if you have played the game they will let you download the new client from them free. but ya its a new client, the 1.x client will be useless to update into due to the amount they are changing. new engine and all.
MSPaint Winner
By Leonkasai 2012-11-11 16:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
Also, that's not a teleport spell. That's a "Screw the rules, I'm a servant of the gods" spell that throws the heroes into the future to save them.
Yup. Time magic. Complete with hourglass symbols and errythin'!
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2012-11-11 16:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

... The event was neat looking all the imperials invading the town and the monsters attacking too. Too bad you didn't get to see it.

Oh the event was AWESOME, for the 40ish minutes I was able to stay on lol :p I just wish they had organized it a tiny bit better, or found a better way to ease congestion rather then just bumping people off at random (happened to me twice)
By Enuyasha 2012-11-11 17:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Still wish you got to square off with the King of Wyrms himself and then get the slow R0 with the white teleport lights as he readied the inevitable Mega Flare.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-11 17:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Avitori said: »
But this video does not translate into anything you'll actually be doing. I don't understand the excitement.

I don't understand the negativity

I don't understand all the fanboyism.

And suddenly everyone came up and say "OMG this looks amazing, damn I miss the game."

FFXIV's story is poorly written IMO. It's nothing special, and it's kind of "cliche RPG story", with a cliche setting, and cliche presentation. When I did raven BC, which is supposed to be "final boss" of 1.0(I think), all I feel is "I think I've seen this somewhere before..."

And none of the characters are memorable in terms of personality(although some char design looks cool, but that's the visual aspect, not writing aspect)

Is the presentation flashy? Sure it does. The entire CS OP posted, and most CS in game sure looks very beautiful. But a lot of them are just a bunch of special effect....and fireworks. Honestly, out of every CS in FFXIV I've watched, I only ever remember moogle fight CS because it's very cute, and that's it. I've been watching Hollywood special effect movie for years and I'm not looking for more, if I'm going to look for a good story, I expect a well written, intriguing one, not special effects.

In terms of gameplay, I'd say it's a little bit* better than XI IMO. There are many things that's done in XIV it should have done in XI, and would make XI much better if they do that. IMO it's streamlined version of XI. But it still doesn't fit today's MMORPG standard. Lving to 50 is a pain, you either get PL(which is mind numbing boring), solo leve(Still mind numbing boring) or EXP pt if you have a chance. Compare with games like SWTOR, which tried to entertain players on their way to 50, FFXIV failed at that. Although I heard at 2.0 you can quest for EXP, hopefully their quest is worth doing with well written, more mature story line in 2.0.

This is also a "your life begin at lv 50" kind of game, like FFXI and WoW, so it's all about grinding gear by doing the same thing for 100x after lv 50, which isn't all that different from XI we've play for years.

Honestly I don't understand all that XIV fanboyism. I understand for players loved XI, streamlined XIV may be attractive(if they can stand logs in chest in XI, then they can stand dark matter). However whenever someone talked about XIV's inherent problem as a MMORPG, and compare with other MMORPG that did better job in every other aspect(minus flashy CS), fanboyism raised and defend for XIV in every way. From what I've seen, majority of FFXIV fan are either FF fan or played FFXI, only a few player are none FF/FFXI lovers and completely new. And that's a pretty big problem for a game, that means many players play for emotional factor, not because this MMO is good.

I'm hoping FFXIV 2.0 is a game that would attract none FF series/FFXI lover, with better, more mature story, and more entertaining game play. If they can do that, then I'd say 2.0 is success. Otherwise it's nothing but reusing XI resource, while spending a lot of money.

Xenshi said: »
That's what gets me every time...the game was never supposed to be FFXI v2. It is it's own game with it's own flaws and great ideas. Stop comparing it to FFXI directly and see it as a game all on it's own or you will be forever negative cause nothing will ever live up to your so called greatest moments in FFXI. Yes there's some mechanics of FFXI that were great, but be damned if I want to play FFXI all over again with just better graphics. It's kinda like how all the Madden games have been the exact same game since 2000 but with a different roster and better graphics..but people still pay top dollar every year for them, that's stupid.

Just because XIV streamlined a lot of XI design and add some new design, doesn't make it very different from XI. Most of the core game mechanic, are still FFXI core game mechanic. You still grind to lv 50, do X event for 100 times, hoping to get something. It's still PvE focused too. And it still loves to use flashy CS like majority of SE games.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-11 17:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved how it featured the little noob hume from the opening cinematic.

[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-11-11 17:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Well we know where all of the money from FFXI went to :p
Yup. All of FFXI's money went to it. Certainly none of the FFXIV players who were paying 9.99 a month had any part of the funding. Or any of the other games Square-Enix sells.

Nope, all FFXI.

So thanks guys for making 2.0 possible. We couldn't have a better game than XI without you.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-11-11 17:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
But this video does not translate into anything you'll actually be doing. I don't understand the excitement.

And suddenly everyone came up and say "OMG this looks amazing, damn I miss the game."

FFXIV's story is poorly written IMO. It's nothing special, and it's kind of "cliche RPG story", with a cliche setting, and cliche presentation. When I did raven BC, which is supposed to be "final boss" of 1.0(I think), all I feel is "I think I've seen this somewhere before..."

And none of the characters are memorable in terms of personality(although some char design looks cool, but that's the visual aspect, not writing aspect)

Is the presentation flashy? Sure it does. The entire CS OP posted, and most CS in game sure looks very beautiful. But a lot of them are just a bunch of special effect....and fireworks. Honestly, out of every CS in FFXIV I've watched, I only ever remember moogle fight CS because it's very cute, and that's it. I've been watching Hollywood special effect movie for years and I'm not looking for more, if I'm going to look for a good story, I expect a well written, intriguing one, not special effects.

In terms of gameplay, I'd say it's a little bit* better than XI IMO. There are many things that's done in XIV it should have done in XI, and would make XI much better if they do that. IMO it's streamlined version of XI. But it still doesn't fit today's MMORPG standard. Lving to 50 is a pain, you either get PL(which is mind numbing boring), solo leve(Still mind numbing boring) or EXP pt if you have a chance. Compare with games like SWTOR, which tried to entertain players on their way to 50, FFXIV failed at that. Although I heard at 2.0 you can quest for EXP, hopefully their quest is worth doing with well written, more mature story line in 2.0.

This is also a "your life begin at lv 50" kind of game, like FFXI and WoW, so it's all about grinding gear by doing the same thing for 100x after lv 50, which isn't all that different from XI we've play for years.

Honestly I don't understand all that XIV fanboyism. I understand for players loved XI, streamlined XIV may be attractive(if they can stand logs in chest in XI, then they can stand dark matter). However whenever someone talked about XIV's inherent problem as a MMORPG, and compare with other MMORPG that did better job in every other aspect(minus flashy CS), fanboyism raised and defend for XIV in every way. From what I've seen, majority of FFXIV fan are either FF fan or played FFXI, only a few player are none FF/FFXI lovers and completely new. And that's a pretty big problem for a game, that means many players play for emotional factor, not because this MMO is good.

I'm hoping FFXIV 2.0 is a game that would attract none FF series/FFXI lover, with better, more mature story, and more entertaining game play. If they can do that, then I'd say 2.0 is success. Otherwise it's nothing but reusing XI resource, while spending a lot of money.

Just because XIV streamlined a lot of XI design and add some new design, doesn't make it very different from XI. Most of the core game mechanic, are still FFXI core game mechanic. You still grind to lv 50, do X event for 100 times, hoping to get something. It's still PvE focused too. And it still loves to use flashy CS like majority of SE games.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2012-11-11 17:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

ah gotta love the people who try to rain negativity on a thread because dear god we can't like something, dear god just because you don't like it (OH NOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS) I respect your opinion, but please kindly put a piece of tape over your mouth and shut it.
[+]
By Avitori 2012-11-11 17:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

Who cares, they are making an effort to improve their game, and there is nothing wrong with making a flashy cutscene/trailer to get people excited. It's a step in the right direction, whether 2.0 fails or not no one will know. Enjoy it for what it is.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-11 17:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Who cares, they are making an effort to improve their game, and there is nothing wrong with making a flashy cutscene/trailer to get people excited. It's a step in the right direction, whether 2.0 fails or not no one will know. Enjoy it for what it is.

Nobody said don't make flashy CS. But what's wrong with asking SE to put more effort into writing a good story? Having flashy CS doesn't suddenly make a story great and game great either.

Leviathan.Catnipthief said: »
ah gotta love the people who try to rain negativity on a thread because dear god we can't like something, dear god just because you don't like it (OH NOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS) I respect your opinion, but please kindly put a piece of tape over your mouth and shut it.

Nobody said you're not allowed to like it, nor telling ppl who liked to shut up.

Only ppl liked it is allowed to talk, and praise it, defend for it by all means, everyone else shut up?
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11