Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Bonecraft » Bonecraft and its subcrafts
Bonecraft and its subcrafts
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-06-04 13:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've just started to do bonecraft on one of my mules (currently lv 35), been pretty much power crafting up to where im at now. And every recipy I've gone through have given me some profit, even if just selling the stuff to the guild.

So far I'm just loving bonecraft.

BUT

I've come to the point where I pretty much need leathercraft as subcraft for some stuff. And so far (leathercraft lv 14) all the profit I've made from the bonecraft has gone down in this swirling gilsinking vortex called leathercraft.

i.e wolf fur (lv 19) wolf hide x3 and wind xtal where the wolf hides costs around 550 each at the guild.

My question: Is there any good way to lv leathercraft? Looking at higher lv bonecraft it really seems that just skipping the leathercraft is not an option.

Also, what other subcrafts is needed for bonecraft? Any of the key items worth the efford? Or just stick with the apron and glasses?
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-04 13:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Mainly... You just need leather as a sub for bc. Then occasionally you need other subs like ww/gs/smithing/etc.

As for leathercraft and leveling it effectively... Check out a guide somewhere and cross-reference it with what's available / prices on your server.

Imo.. There is no real 'good' way to lvl leather and it'll eat quite a bit of gil no matter what "unless" you farm all the mats yourself.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-04 13:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're interested in taking BC to 100 ASAP, then I'm using the following guide, it's pretty awesome.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Bonecrafting_Guide_by_Ayrlie

Other than that, I'd look at Hide > Leather.

Assuming you're 19 LC, I'd do something like:

Dhalmel Leather (21)
Bugard Leather (24)
Bridge Synth (??) (Parchment/Vellum Maybe)
Ram Leather (35)
Barbarian's Belt (41) [Maybe]
Ram Mantle (49)
Bridge Synth (??)
Tiger Leather (61)
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-04 13:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, tiger leather is great either from AH or farming. However... That bridge synth is about 7 levels... And that's the raptor area... Raptor EVERYTHING sucks. >.<

I could just be annoyed with it b/c I lvled it 60 lvls for my friend's bc character and now need to lvl it another 50 levels for my ww sub. >.<
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-06-04 13:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So just skip key items? I'm not really gonna bother making millions of arrow heads unless I reach a lv when its the best skillup item. I've started to collect GP for the glasses so I can get them as soon as I reach Journeyman. How about the ring, is it useful enough to spend GP on?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-04 13:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The ring is VERY useful if you plan on making RR hairpins and synthing your own Coral Hairpins. Or anything else that you need a NQ item to make something else with tbh. The hairpins just comes off the top of my head.

As for the purif/ensorc key items, they're pretty subjective and it depends if you're going to need them to synth what you want to.

Most just get the gear / furnishings and worry about the key items later unless you lvl on an item that needs it.
 Sylph.Andrewpaul
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Andrewpaul 2009-06-14 19:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm 100 bone main and 2 main subs are leather and alchemy. Also has cloth , smithin, and goldsmithing as subs too. It all depends in what you want out of it