New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » The Sealed Dagger: A Ninja Guide
The Sealed Dagger: A Ninja Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 253 254 255
 Lye
By Lye 2014-01-29 07:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

We would be able to test the 1 ninjutsu skill = 1 mACC pretty quickly though right?

/display mACC

(note value)

/equip ninjutsu skill 10

/display mACC

(compare value)

Right?

I don't know a lot about it but I do have a devoted ninjutsu skill set for sticking debuffs. The only reason I care is that I haven't had much ease sticking hojo and jubaku on Hard and Very Hard Ark Angels and have been revising my sets to see if more mACC is available on some of the already ninjutsu skill devoted slots.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-01-29 08:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much what the last 5 posts were talking about, unless they have a separate check for every single type of macc then you can't just equip ninjutsu skill gear and check it again, there's like 10 different magic types in the game.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-01-29 16:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry. I play nin so much I often forget you might cast something other than ninjutsu. I apologize.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-01-29 21:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It would apply if NIN was subbing something else, but it's actually more relevant when you're on a any that has more than one magic skill, if they made it so that magic accuracy stat was affected by skill in some way, they'd either have to add the skill you currently have onto the value (which make inflated values when you're on a real mage job) or they average out the magic skills you currently have, which outputs a value that has no use.

IE if I'm on NIN and I have 300 ninjutsu skill, going /displaymacc might show like 350 or something.

Then when I switch to RDM and I have like 5 different magic skills it might instead just show me I have like 1600 magic accuracy which doesn't make any sense, or it'd average out whatever magic skills you have which outputs a value that has no use because I have a different magic accuracy value for each magic type.

So they'd have to make a separate check for every magic type, like /displayninjutsuaccuracy etc.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-01-30 09:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
So they'd have to make a separate check for every magic type, like /displayninjutsuaccuracy etc.

They'll probably have it return multiple lines of text if they go that route. I say that because you would have magic accuracy for your weapon skill and any additional effects that your weapon might have or that might of been cast on you (enspells).
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2014-02-03 12:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

11 DEX 3 acc isn't better than 3 STP 2 DA for TP unless you're getting a fair chunk of critical hit rate from that DEX or uncapped acc. They are certainly nice for Blade: Shun, though.
By Refia1 2014-02-12 08:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Is 1/5 blade shun okay for situations where blade: hi isn't as that good?
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-13 12:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say yes. If something has a lot of crit resistance something with a base fTP of 4.4375 and ~85% DEX mod is better than a WS than something with a base fTP 4.0 and 60% AGI mod.

In other news, this might be pretty slowpoke.jpg but I added some short blurbs about the AAHMs on NIN. I actually have no experience with EV on NIN myself, so if somebody has any input for that (or any of them really) feel free to give me both barrels.

Quote:
Added one with the augment and it's saying Aetosaur +1 is still slightly better *IF* Pamun is main. With Rai main, Otronif w/ 2% DA is better.

Sounds like this is a case where the target is causing the variation because Rai has a lot more DEX than Pamun. It's pretty hard to have that be consistent for general use, but I think if it's a case like that you might just use Hachiya Tekko +1 instead. You lose the STP, but same with lots of DEX and you'll probably be carrying it around anyway.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-02-13 13:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
I would say yes. If something has a lot of crit resistance something with a base fTP of 4.4375 and ~85% DEX mod is better than a WS than something with a base fTP 4.0 and 60% AGI mod.
Does your assessment account for the attack penalty on Blade: Shun, though?
By Sydok 2014-02-13 13:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN NIN THF WHM BRD SMN make VD EV a joke. Make sure haste, marches, scherzo, and ea are always up. NIN NIN THF make all VD except HM a joke.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-13 13:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think with the highest attack penalty (~8%) Blade: Shun would still come out ahead of Hi if you're not criting (eyeball math is best math), but I do think Shun is one of the most useless merit WSs now considering how you can just unlock Hi for any weapon so anybody with more than two jobs should probably invest their points elsewhere.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-02-13 13:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

While talking about Weapon skills... How weak is Kamu with everything being upgraded and new line of items out? Still too weak to even use even with Nagi? Not that it effects me. Just curious.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-13 13:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely not worth using if you don't have a Nagi, heh. I once calculated here though, that if you have a Nagi, building TP and using Kamu is not a large enough detriment to lower your overall damage- it will come ahead a smidgen, and that's assuming you are not using your AM skillfully (as in, not taking advantage of an established AM to build towards your next Kamu when the duration's nearing end). Ninja can also use Mikage to build TP fast during their first cycle if they wish. That being said, it only comes ahead in fights where you are stationary most of the time (So the AAs work pretty well), and even then it's a really small increase so Nagi still serves little purpose other than just "look how much time I spent for pixel swords". With the incoming ease to weakness it also makes the Mijin Gakure augment more useless than it already was.
 Shiva.Tedril
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-02-13 13:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Definitely not worth using if you don't have a Nagi, heh. I once calculated here though, that if you have a Nagi, building TP and using Kamu is not a large enough detriment to lower your overall damage- it will come ahead a smidgen, and that's assuming you are not using your AM skillfully (as in, not taking advantage of an established AM to build towards your next Kamu when the duration's nearing end). Ninja can also use Mikage to build TP fast during their first cycle if they wish. That being said, it only comes ahead in fights where you are stationary most of the time (So the AAs work pretty well), and even then it's a really small increase so Nagi still serves little purpose other than just "look how much time I spent for pixel swords". With the incoming ease to weakness it also makes the Mijin Gakure augment more useless than it already was.
Phanks, that pretty much clears it up i s'pose lol
 Leviathan.Kidnoftle
user: Kidnoftle
By Leviathan.Kidnoftle 2014-02-13 15:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

RE: Nin nin thf brd whm smn EV set up:

Since I don't know any NINs besides myself that have even halfway decent gear I havent had a chance to attempt it, but it would seem based on my observations of 4boxing normals that a VD EV with that set up would be doable but not really "easy". What are groups' that use this method experience with random multihit oneshots (not negated by scherzo/EA) and the like? Or is it the case that even the single hits in the multi hit ws get mitigated since they typically hit for ludicrous amounts?
By kenshynofshiva 2014-02-13 15:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The big issue with multi hit is that since each single hit are lower damage they are unaffected by scherzo/EA and the like so its about shadows and keeping up min 3 at all times.
By Sydok 2014-02-13 17:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kidnoftle said: »
RE: Nin nin thf brd whm smn EV set up:

Since I don't know any NINs besides myself that have even halfway decent gear I havent had a chance to attempt it, but it would seem based on my observations of 4boxing normals that a VD EV with that set up would be doable but not really "easy". What are groups' that use this method experience with random multihit oneshots (not negated by scherzo/EA) and the like? Or is it the case that even the single hits in the multi hit ws get mitigated since they typically hit for ludicrous amounts?

Anytime I'm at 3 or less shadows and Ni is up, I recast. With max haste you should almost never sit under 3 shadows. With NIN NIN THF we all cap hate fairly quickly and she just sits there turning in circles, so she almost never attacks the same person more than twice in a row. We occasionally have a death during the fight due to bad combos like diaga > ws or ws > bash > intervene. They are fairly uncommon and we just get an arise, mijin, then get right back into the fight. The THF then TA 6k+ mercy strokes onto the NIN that died, and we're very quickly back to capped hate and a spinning mob.
 Leviathan.Kidnoftle
By Leviathan.Kidnoftle 2014-02-13 19:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, ok that's more or less what I figured. Sad that it's still gonna sit second to me doing it w/ rngs :/
 Odin.Terren
Server: Odin
By Odin.Terren 2014-02-16 02:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been doing AAs on NIN for ... well pretty much since they were released, so I thought I'd add some observations. Our setup is usually WHM BRD THF NIN NIN PLD, though we've run without a pld, or swapped a nin for a mnk, etc... it's a bit slapdash at times but we're six friends who've played this game longer than we care to admit, and AAs are a fun brick wall to bash our heads against.

AAEV:
A strong barsilencera from a well-geared whm basically negates the silence effect of Dominion Slash almost entirely. Arrogance Incarnate damage is split between targets, so it's a little easier to manage with more than 2 melee in range. I find the biggest threat is her casting diaga/banishga and following up with a WS. Having scherzo and mig up full time helps a great deal. On EV and GK I've found a really strong evasion set (and most of the strong eva pieces have mdef and meva on them as well now) can be extremely effective if there's been an unexpected death or four.

AAGK:
The stupid wyvern sometimes has more acc than his master and eats shadows for breakfast. Our THF is usually tasked with taking the wyvern out ASAP. Otherwise I find scherzo will save you from being one-shot with a WS if for some reasons shadows are down. I've solo-tanked the GK with a full evasion set very successfully, with ~+250 evasion from gear he will miss on WS more frequently than you would think.

AAMR:
ACC set and sushi is paramount, I through aggressor in there as well. Otherwise the fight is finding a way to avoid killing all your friends once charmed, and we splattered a poor taru rng last weekend. That being said: a good Barthundra cuts the damage from cloudsplitter quite significantly and makes that phase of the fight a lot easier to manage.

AATT:
I hate that effing taru.

I use an MDEF set during the meteor phase and find the best strategy is to run away from our WHM.

AAHM:
We had a lot of weird problems with HM. Generally I find scherzo and migawari most successful in managing his weird occasional one-shot WS spam, but he still gets lucky every now and then. This fight above all for our group has benefitted most from having multiple tanks. I haven't found an eva set as effective with HM as some of the others, he seems to be more accurate. We just have someone without hate run off in the last 10% to avoid messy Mijin Gakure accidents, for which we have a hilarious history of comical errors (my fave was HM one shots tank > runs to WHM > Mijin everyone).

Last: I think Mikage is a seriously underrated SP at times. With the right gear and songs it's like ninja hundred fists, especially on the AAs. I've used it to great effect to save our butts a few times.

Also, Issekigen is extremely effective on all the AAs, even the taru at times. I'd be really curious to hear if anyone has had experience doing these fights NIN/RUN and implemented swordplay as well.
By Sydok 2014-02-16 03:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious, what difficulty are you doing? All my info is in reference to VD, but should apply to the easier difficulties.

Odin.Terren said: »
AAEV:
A strong barsilencera from a well-geared whm basically negates the silence effect of Dominion Slash almost entirely. Arrogance Incarnate damage is split between targets, so it's a little easier to manage with more than 2 melee in range. I find the biggest threat is her casting diaga/banishga and following up with a WS. Having scherzo and mig up full time helps a great deal. On EV and GK I've found a really strong evasion set (and most of the strong eva pieces have mdef and meva on them as well now) can be extremely effective if there's been an unexpected death or four.

If you keep shadows up, you should never get hit by Dominion slash, so bar silence isn't really necessary. Scherzo isn't usually enough on it's own to save you and you cannot reliably fulltime Migawari. If you bring a SMN, Scherzo + EA work wonders. Remember not to cast Migawari since it will overwrite EA.

AAGK:
The stupid wyvern sometimes has more acc than his master and eats shadows for breakfast. Our THF is usually tasked with taking the wyvern out ASAP. Otherwise I find scherzo will save you from being one-shot with a WS if for some reasons shadows are down. I've solo-tanked the GK with a full evasion set very successfully, with ~+250 evasion from gear he will miss on WS more frequently than you would think.
We use full damage gear on GK, including Rancor collar. We don't bother with evasion, because with slow and elegy he attacks so slow that there is almost no way he can out attack your Utsu:Ni timer. We also don't bother killing the wyvern, the BRD just keeps it slept.

AAMR:
ACC set and sushi is paramount, I through aggressor in there as well. Otherwise the fight is finding a way to avoid killing all your friends once charmed, and we splattered a poor taru rng last weekend. That being said: a good Barthundra cuts the damage from cloudsplitter quite significantly and makes that phase of the fight a lot easier to manage.
Once charm goes off, Issekigan will prevent the charmed person from touching you until the BRD can sleep them. Cloudsplitter itself won't kill you with barthunder and scherzo up, but the resulting skillchain from back to back cloudsplitters can. We counter that by casting Migawari after the first cloudsplitter hits, so the potential 2nd will do 0.

AATT:
I hate that effing taru.

I use an MDEF set during the meteor phase and find the best strategy is to run away from our WHM.
Keep spikes off, move away if you are low (under 3) on shadows. Manafont + Larceny = No meteor.

AAHM:
We had a lot of weird problems with HM. Generally I find scherzo and migawari most successful in managing his weird occasional one-shot WS spam, but he still gets lucky every now and then. This fight above all for our group has benefitted most from having multiple tanks. I haven't found an eva set as effective with HM as some of the others, he seems to be more accurate. We just have someone without hate run off in the last 10% to avoid messy Mijin Gakure accidents, for which we have a hilarious history of comical errors (my fave was HM one shots tank > runs to WHM > Mijin everyone).
HM is the hardest because everything is multi hit, which he only makes worse by spamming Brazen Rush. Migawari won't really save you from his normal attacks or weaponskills, but it sure will save you from his Mijin. Or your WHM could Sacrosanctity and save everyone.
 Leviathan.Kidnoftle
By Leviathan.Kidnoftle 2014-02-16 13:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sacro works on mijin? Had it up on a normal HM the other day and it did nothing for it.
 Bismarck.Davorin
user: Davorin
By Bismarck.Davorin 2014-02-16 23:44:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kidnoftle said: »
Sacro works on mijin? Had it up on a normal HM the other day and it did nothing for it.

Yep.

As long as you don't take any sort of magic damage before Mijin, Sacrosanctity will absorb most of it.

Edit for derp.
By Kyler 2014-02-16 23:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Laf barfire
[+]
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2014-02-17 13:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, NIN can reach delay reduction cap with just haste now. Lol.

Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-17 13:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll get to 0.21 delay, not totally capped but yeah lol

(NIN still sux SE plz fix)
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-02-17 18:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

give it till next update, when nin gets 119 body and legs, and the extra haste/DW to go with them
 Ragnarok.Dragonforce
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Dragonforce 2014-02-18 23:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know if the Mochizuki chainmail beats Mirke Wardecors for Utsusemi set?
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-20 08:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Mochizuki is casting time reduction, it would reduce casting time more than Mirke does but Mirke will reduce your recast as well since it's fast cast. I use both myself but I imagine inventory space is pretty tight for some so feel free to omit either one; I don't foresee a lot of use for Mochizuki Chainmail as a TP piece until they add the +1.

Also I derped on the math a bit earlier, it appears we actually do reach the haste cap with just haste now.

35(base)+7(earrings)+5(head)+8(body)+7(legs)+5(belt)=67% dual wield.

0.33 x 0.6 = 0.198

If/when they add Empyrean reforging might be able to toss one of the current dual wield pieces, we'll see though.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 253 254 255