Forum » FFXI » General » DPS
DPS
 Hades.Rieyuu
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-05-31 19:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

probably one of the only thing I know nothing about...I don't really understand what dps is I know what it stands for but, I see how people talk about the dps is great for this weapon making dmg better over time....just not sure what it means exactly
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-05-31 19:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Damage per second.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-31 19:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing 20,000 dmg over 5 mins with ws's only doing 100 points each is better then doing 16,000 dmg over 5 mins with WS's doing 500dmg each.
Basiclly DPS>big e-peen numbers.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-31 20:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Ultrarichard said, it's damage per second. Since there's such a wide range of weapons in pretty much any game of this nature, it's pretty much the only way you can really compare one weapon to the next (especially when comparing different classes of weapons) as far as overall damage is concerned.

For instance, a dagger might not hit for high damage per swing, but it's hits more often then say, a Great Sword that hits for far more damage but swings much slower.

When considering a weapon, the DPS is a good place to start when trying to make a decision, but there may be other factors involved, so it's not necessarily the only consideration. Some weapons may have stat bonuses on them that outweigh the benefit of a little bit higher of a DPS on another weapon, especially accuracy and such.

Of course, if you are torn between a few different weapons, you can always ask here... ^^
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-05-31 20:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

ooh I think I get it now thank you. Lu's comment helped alot ^^ lol dunno how really I could explain what it means now but it makes sense so all in all the higher the dps the better, again thank you guys =)
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-31 20:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Added effects are important.
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=17187>http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=18728
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-05-31 20:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

yea I would fully agree that E bow has the upper hand on that one, just saying tho =P