Forum » FFXI » General » Your Thoughts
Your Thoughts
 Bahamut.Bennett
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bennett
By Bahamut.Bennett 2009-05-31 13:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is every Tom, ***, Harry, and their mother, desperately shouting to get a LS going?
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-31 13:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Because they are greedy and want all the glory?
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-05-31 14:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw one the other day that made me /facepalm, a level 31 mage-ish person in Jeuno with a bazaar comment advertising a no sub jobs ls. He had no sub and wanted his members to have no sub. Nooo! Don't do it!

But since Odin has been closed for awhile, I'm sure it's not a new player. Probably an old one disabled his sub and was goofing around is all.
 Bahamut.Bennett
Server: Bahamut
user: Bennett
By Bahamut.Bennett 2009-06-02 03:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Drives me nuts to see people join these guys and then watch them waist their time. After months/years of hard work the leader takes the "LS Bank" to "Sponser" them a brand new relic. Seems like a scam to me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-02 03:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bennett said:
Drives me nuts to see people join these guys and then watch them waist their time. After months/years of hard work the leader takes the "LS Bank" to "Sponser" them a brand new relic. Seems like a scam to me.

Ironic one of my lss recently had a leader do something like this though he claimed he quit
 Remora.Pyp
Server: Remora
user: pyp
By Remora.Pyp 2009-06-02 05:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bennett said:
Why is every Tom, ***, Harry, and their mother, desperately shouting to get a LS going?

I ran a linkshell in 2003 when my character was level 49, rank 5 and 50 people joined in the first week. I then enjoyed a steady membership of 20-30 members for about 6 months before taking a 2 year break from the game. The members of my linkshell worked together to get a ton of stuff done, they were excited to get sky, sea and start doing dynamis for the first time. In fact, most of my ls seemed to understand that they somehow needed each other for help. We learned how to do everything in the game together, nobody was endlessly dragging their ls mates through sea events or holding each others hands through sky events.

My how things change...New players seem to think its the contractual obligation of every level 75 player to PL them, raise them, get their sub job items for them, take them to sea and hand over 100k gil whenever they need to update their gear. I'm glad to hear low levels starting their own shells and I hope they help themselves out instead of relying on the veterans to do it all for them.

Now the scam... people want/need items or clears that they cannot obtain without 10-20 people helping them. Some do it with integrity, sadly most do not. You either lead a shell or you follow, the ratio of leaders to followers is somewhere around 1 to 10 in this game. What the leaders do, either for good or for bad, is perpetually scrutinized by the followers. Some leaders try to make these followers happy, most don't care. The leaders rarely, if ever, succeed in making everyone happy. Followers can leave and do bounce from shell to shell, looking for a leader that either favors them or at least isn't blatantly using them. What is the number of followers that walk away from shells the day after getting the rare/ex drop of their dreams? It's in the thousands every single week. Check the Bahamut thread started by Iconoclasm if you want to see what happens when a lead complains about this. But when a leader does the same thing to a group of 20 followers everyone heeps a "holier than thou" rant in ffxiah.

It simply is not newsworthy to get scammed or used in this game. The door swings both ways and the only true victims in this game are honor and dignity.
[+]
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2009-06-02 05:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I saw one the other day that made me /facepalm, a level 31 mage-ish person in Jeuno with a bazaar comment advertising a no sub jobs ls. He had no sub and wanted his members to have no sub. Nooo! Don't do it!
I have to respect a man like that.
 Asura.Dajociont
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2009-06-02 05:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Having the status as a ls leader = ego boost. Bout it.

I use to run a ls, caused so much problem because one of the sackholders had this huge ego trip going, I broke shell and let him remake it so he would stfu.

Some people just like to feel important.
 Valefor.Schoolarnia
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Schoolarnia 2009-06-07 05:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

here here the door swings both ways truestrike! im part of a small ls but made of players that are friends a long long time and the newer ones can be trusted too and have become good friends too.in short our leader is not really our leader because we are all equal.we all take no s**t and we give a genuine reason for not been able to help.sure ill join a dynamis ls like my friends on a casual basis but i dont need to worry about trust there as its mostly freelot on 1 or 2 items.anyway if u dont wanna get screwed dont join in the first place or somehthing to dat effect<o.o now i just ranting>
 Cerberus.Savannah
Server: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-06-07 06:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Dajociont said:
Some people just like to feel important.

i know i do >.>
 Garuda.Rae
Server: Garuda
user: Rae
By Garuda.Rae 2009-06-11 19:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people have issues with the way in which an ls is run, and decide to make their own. It reminds me of when I was in the 5th grade and everyone was making 'clubs'. People would exclude others from certain clubs, people would leave clubs because the 'leader' wasn't doing things 'right'. Alot of old (well for a 5th grader anyway) friends were lost over the club drama. :(

Just bump the age up 15 years, add hormones, poor social skills and BAM you have the new surge of linkshells.
 Shiva.Ragnell
Server: Shiva
user: Ragnell
By Shiva.Ragnell 2009-06-12 16:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol I saw someone in whitegate shouting for members to thier social linkshell...
I lol'd because the "requirements are have a 50+ job"
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-12 16:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnell said:
Lol I saw someone in whitegate shouting for members to thier social linkshell...
I lol'd because the "requirements are have a 50+ job"

Maybe they think 50+ people are more social...

Or maybe it's that they don't wanna help noobs do the low level ***. In which case they can cheerfully DIAF ^^