2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Daurdabla vs. Gjallarhorn
Daurdabla vs. Gjallarhorn
First Page 2
By Avitori 2012-09-02 20:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Which should I be focusing on first for my BRD mule? I plan on getting both, and taking them to 99. However...which one is the "better" instrument which I should focus on making first? Any positive advice is welcome. Thanks
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-09-02 20:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

daur, easy to get instruments that will do the same thing as a 95 or less ghorn
By Avitori 2012-09-02 20:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what I am thinking also...can't really beat 3-4 songs
[+]
By bigdave1978 2012-09-02 20:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

harp
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-09-02 20:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Harp is the bigger game changer.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-09-02 20:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I got daurdabla first for my alt. Learning how to properly apply 3 songs quickly and keep them up on multiple song rotations took me a long time. Your eye will twitch when you see someone run out of range or a song wear because you got busy...
[+]
By Avitori 2012-09-02 21:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks guys, i'll be making harp first
 Lakshmi.Hediger
Server: Lakshmi
user: Hediger
By Lakshmi.Hediger 2012-09-10 20:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I own both. Get Harp first.
 Ifrit.Therealchibo
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Therealchibo 2012-09-19 10:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

99 G horn makes using the harp easier in my opinion. Song +4 add's 2mins to each song. Also if you are using Sentinel Scherzo you get Song +1 from feet which would make it extra 2mins 30secs. Also the af3+2 hands I believe give Song +1 also your marches extra 2mins 30secs.

Since you're making the harp / horn for a mule and would like to focus on the main character. I would say G horn for lazy ness also adds inventory plus.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-19 11:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The cool thing about Harp and Horn is that building the relic horn doesn't particularly interfere with making the 3-song version of Daurpderpderp (Unless you're buying the upgrade items, which uh, I guess you could be doing but yeah).

So, work on your 3-song harp (Abyssea crap) while building a Gjallarhorn (Dynamis + Gil), and then once you've gotten Horn out of the way, work on plates for Daurderpderp.
[+]
By Creecreelo 2012-09-23 07:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Therealchibo said: »
99 G horn makes using the harp easier in my opinion. Song +4 add's 2mins to each song. Also if you are using Sentinel Scherzo you get Song +1 from feet which would make it extra 2mins 30secs. Also the af3+2 hands I believe give Song +1 also your marches extra 2mins 30secs.

Since you're making the harp / horn for a mule and would like to focus on the main character. I would say G horn for lazy ness also adds inventory plus.

Song+4 would add 40% to the base duration of the song (2min for buff songs, so 48 seconds)

Song+1-5 will add 10-50% more duration to a song depending on what kinda Song+# you have; this applies to debuffs too.
 Lakshmi.Hediger
user: Hediger
By Lakshmi.Hediger 2012-09-24 13:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I paid for about 2/3 of the pops for my harp. If you can get through the Colorless Soul stage without buying KIs you're a better man than I am.
[+]
By Peldin 2012-09-24 17:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
If you can get through the Colorless Soul stage without buying KIs you're a better man than we are
Fixed and QFT lol =D
[+]
 Bahamut.Bizarro
Server: Bahamut
user: bizarro
By Bahamut.Bizarro 2012-09-24 17:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

For my wifes harp we didn't buy any KIs and I finished the last ~1/3 of them dual/tri boxing. Then for my Ochain I did all but one pop the same set up. Just takes time and lots of patience you don't need to buy them.

She loved having the harp and 3 songs more than horn but as a RL wind instrument player (years ago) she prefers using hearing the horn.

Now if someone could figure out how to code both into spellcast so she would use the right one in the right circumstance....
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Othilda
user: Othilda
By Fenrir.Othilda 2012-10-31 04:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bizarro said: »
Now if someone could figure out how to code both into spellcast so she would use the right one in the right circumstance....

Manually do it with macros...it isn't that difficult.
[+]
 Bismarck.Evilbob
Server: Bismarck
user: evilbob3
By Bismarck.Evilbob 2012-10-31 04:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

For you mules... this game is dead to me...
[+]
 Sylph.Rafaras
Server: Sylph
user: Enitsu
By Sylph.Rafaras 2012-11-12 10:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So from what I can understand is that you switch to G-horn and play 1 song after applying 3 songs on the empy harp? Is that correct?
 Lakshmi.Andromida
user: Andromida
By Lakshmi.Andromida 2012-11-12 10:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You do 2 songs with Ghorn and then sing 3 (and 4) with the harp. If you do 3 or 4 with horn it will overwrite the other songs
 Sylph.Binckry
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-11-12 10:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rafaras said: »
So from what I can understand is that you switch to G-horn and play 1 song after applying 3 songs on the empy harp? Is that correct?
Play two songs with Ghorn, one with harp. Iirc.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-11-12 11:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Then once you have 3 (or 4) songs up, you can keep overwriting all of them with ghorn.
As long as they never wear off, you can keep them all up only using horn.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-12 11:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can do 4x Paeon with no duration+ gear on the harp and do all of your songs with the Gjallarhorn (with appropriate duration gear).
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-12 11:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can sing Minne x4 and afk.

Really though, the way Kvazz describes is the best way to do it because you sing the fewest songs, but it also doesn't work very reliably unless you're using a 99 G-horn as your overwriting instrument or are using Nightingale.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-12 11:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Then once you have 3 (or 4) songs up, you can keep overwriting all of them with ghorn.
As long as they never wear off, you can keep them all up only using horn.

Heh, that's nifty as ***...
 Sylph.Binckry
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-11-12 11:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Or you can do 4x Paeon with no duration+ gear on the harp and do all of your songs with the Gjallarhorn (with appropriate duration gear).
Never actually thought of that. <_< wow that's a good idea.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-12 11:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Binckry said: »
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Never actually thought of that. <_< wow that's a good idea.

Mhm, and once you have all 4 up, like Byrth/Jos said, if you're using 99 Ghorn as your overwriting instrument, you can just keep overwriting them.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-12 13:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as you never let the 3rd or 4th song on ANYONE EVER DROP...

*Twitch*
[+]
By Creecreelo 2012-11-13 22:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can just do first two songs with Gjallarhorn, then two Paeons with Daurdabla, and then overwrite with last two Gjallarhorn songs.

Example: Night/Troub -> Marcato Minuet V -> Minuet IV -> Daur Paeon x2 -> March x2 -> then Ballad for Mages and perhaps yourself! @_@

Minuetx2/Marchx2 for DD, Marchx2/Balladx2 for Mages! :D
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-13 22:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've not had any experience with 4 songs yet since my Daurdabla isn't 99 yet. Do you have to do the minuets first or can you do marches first? Granted, I realize the reason you're doing that is so the mages get the benefit of marches without having to run out of range to buff only the DD's with minuets, just curious if order matters and for me, if I spend too long buffing, the overwrite order sometimes gets whacked. Not an issue with N/T songs usually since that buffing happens fast but with normal songs it happens occasionally if I'm trying to buff mages and melees with 4 full power songs like in your example it occasionally overwrites one of my marches instead of the dummy songs.
By Creecreelo 2012-11-13 23:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't have to be Marches first; I just used that example since that's usually what's desired for VW and other very general stuff.

If doing it without Night/troub, things that can help with overwriting Daurdabla songs are...

-Singing the Daurdabla songs without extra pieces of Song Duration+ gear, essentially a modified precast gear set. By modified I mean you can swap in Quick Cast pieces like Witful belt, etc since you aren't worrying about extending the songs' duration/potency.
-Gjallarhorn lvl 99 as opposed to 95; this will give a nice bit of extra time to cast over Daurdabla songs.
-Singing songs enhanced by the AF3+2 set first (Minuet, March, Scherzo, Ballad, Madrigal). Again, helps by creating a bigger window.

Can't thing of anything else off the top my head, but the first tip is definitely the most useful in making sure you overwrite Daurdabla songs. With just 90 Daurdabla atm, I don't think you should have too much trouble with overwriting the Daurdabla song with Gjallarhorn.
First Page 2