XBOX 360 Wired control pad
 Bahamut.Reeve
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Reeve
By Bahamut.Reeve 2009-05-27 08:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone!

So my old controller has gone to control pad heaven, it was a saitek p3200 and worked great for FFXI and everything else. But I can't find one to replace it or anything even similar, so I bought an official XBOX 360 Wired control pad "for use with XBOX360 and windows XP or higher" but its not working right.

The pad has 12 buttons but only allows you to configure upto 10 (with the 2 triggers as Z axis) and I use those triggers to open up my macro menus.

I've downloaded just about every driver thats supposed to fix this issue but I've had no luck yet, so has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^. (I still have the receipt, so I could return it, but I have a feeling that the solution is so obvious its giving me the old /stare... but I can't see it)
 Gilgamesh.Arathorn
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Arathorn
By Gilgamesh.Arathorn 2009-05-27 09:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you having problems with? I use the same thing, Xbox 360 Wired on my PC and no issues.
 Gilgamesh.Arathorn
By Gilgamesh.Arathorn 2009-05-27 09:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Issues with the two analog shoulder buttons? Meh same issue. from what I've read the only way to use them is to find a custom driver, or something that someone has decoded and rewrote on their own for it. I don't even bother with them, I use the digital shoulder buttons for my macros. Works pretty good.
 Bahamut.Reeve
By Bahamut.Reeve 2009-05-27 09:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Arathorn said:
What are you having problems with? I use the same thing, Xbox 360 Wired on my PC and no issues.

I cant use the triggers, they respond as a "Z axis" through windows>>control panel>>game controllers>>properties but in FFXI config to set up the buttons the 2 triggers have no purpose, they cant be set for anything (in my case macro pallettes) and it just seems strange.
 Gilgamesh.Arathorn
By Gilgamesh.Arathorn 2009-05-27 09:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the only two "analog" inputs on the pad you can use are the directional inputs for walking or running, depending on how hard you push them. I can't use my analog triggers either, however I can use the digital triggers just fine. Sucks to lose 2 buttons, I used a PS2 controller for a long time on my PC and those extra shoulder buttons were handy but I've gotten used to not having them. If Microsoft, in all their wisdom had made them digital instead of analog you could probably use them, but I think the FFXI config only recognizes digital for those two buttons. Dunno why they did it like that.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 09:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

XBCD is the driver I believe. Your best bet is to google "Xbox controller for ffxi" or something along those lines and start digging through the different threads that the search comes up with. There are different drivers for XP , vista 32 and vista 64 so make sure you get the right one.

Expect to spend a good while finding it though.
 Gilgamesh.Arathorn
By Gilgamesh.Arathorn 2009-05-27 09:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Will this driver let you use the two analog shoulder triggers? That would be sweet.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 09:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Arathorn said:
Will this driver let you use the two analog shoulder triggers? That would be sweet.

Yes, I use the wired xbox controller on my lap top and on my wifes PC just I use it on my actual 360. I cannot use a controller if I can't pull up macro's with the triggers.

Just going off the top of my head from when I did this last (6-7 months ago) but I think XBCD lite is the installer program that has the drivers and also takes care of some of the problems with windows and unsigned drivers. Vista is def more of a headache than XP but if you bash the drivers in there hard enough, you can get them to work.
 Alexander.Reuran
Server: Alexander
user: Reuran
By Alexander.Reuran 2009-05-27 09:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I use the 360 controller on my PC for FFXI, I simply configured the LB and RB for Macro palettes and use the Back button for Auto-run and the Start button for logout, it gets a little confusing when switching back and forth from 360 to PC but it seems to do the job.
 Gilgamesh.Arathorn
By Gilgamesh.Arathorn 2009-05-27 09:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I did the exact same thing as Reuran
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 09:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah you can do that, and it prob works fine, but I'm a stubborn jackass and I want my ***to work around me, not me to work around it.

I figure if the drivers are out there to make it work the way I want it to, then why not use em.
 Bahamut.Reeve
By Bahamut.Reeve 2009-05-27 10:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think im just gonna take the damn thing back lol, thanks for the help Frobeus that driver seems to be what im looking for but for some reason I cant download it (DNS error)

I'm just gonna return it and go to just about every PC/gadget shop I can find looking for my good 'ol saitek p3200 lol, thanks again though.
 Kujata.Jennypoo
Server: Kujata
user: xial
By Kujata.Jennypoo 2009-05-27 10:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

google: xbcd driver, there are plenty of mirrors

xbox 360 controller is quite a nice controller for ffxi, but the original drivers are crap. With XBCD its totally possible to set the controls exactly the same as the xbox 360s
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-27 11:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jennypoo said:
google: xbcd driver, there are plenty of mirrors

xbox 360 controller is quite a nice controller for ffxi, but the original drivers are crap. With XBCD its totally possible to set the controls exactly the same as the xbox 360s

I tried the same thing when I got a wired controller to use as a gamepad and it seems while people swear by XBCD, it isn't all that supported anymore. Most of the forum topics and sites that I found with it were dated late '07 or early '08. I didn't think much of it, but the install process simply didn't work for me. Just kind of sucks that this controller in particular really relies on this driver, being why I probably wouldn't recommend it, despite it feeling really comfortable. :<
 Kujata.Jennypoo
Server: Kujata
user: xial
By Kujata.Jennypoo 2009-05-27 12:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

9 times out of 10 XBCD refuses to work because the previous driver was not "uninstalled" via Device Manager, therefor cant overwrite the default driver, since it is in use

for anyone having problems with xbcd try this:
*Plug in controller
*let default crappy MS driver self-install
*after its done, go to Device manager and uninstall it
*dont restart.
*install XBCD
*restart computer and/or unplug-replug controller

It is indeed a little bit of a nuisance to install/configure, but once its all set in stone, it works like a dream.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-27 12:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, Jennypoo. I tried doing whatever I was doing 4 or 5 times before I gave up, but I'm not sure if I was skipping something you listed or not, so I'll give it another shot later today. D:
 Valefor.Tragicallyhippy
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Tragicallyhippy 2009-05-27 12:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I use a Saitek. While they are unreliable and I've had like 6 in the past 6 years, they work nice (when not dead...). Plus they're pretty cheap even considering the cost of replacement.

Suprisingly enough, you should be able to find another one at your local Walmart if you are dissatisfied with your replacement. I've bought them in Seattle, Sacramento and Boise so, they are available in the west, at least, if not nationwide.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2009-05-27 12:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

i tried xbox controller. no go.
i have a ps2 controller adaptor. a controller would last me 1.5~2years till i have to replace. getting kinda hard to find em now...

how does the ps3 controller handle, anyone?
 Ifrit.Maverick
Server: Ifrit
user: Maverick
By Ifrit.Maverick 2009-05-27 12:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I use the 360 pad and ive just set up the CTRL and ALT buttons to Start and Back
 Fenrir.Corwynn
Server: Fenrir
user: TinDragon
By Fenrir.Corwynn 2009-05-27 13:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

XBCD didn't work out for me, but I did manage to find some Japanese drivers that did the trick nicely. The second post on http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/67919-trigger-support-wireless-360-controller.html has the instructions you need to follow. There's one step after that ou might have to do, if the triggers work but the D-pad or joysticks are messed up, there's a setting ou need to change in your Control Panel. If it happens to you, just message me (cause, uh, I forgot which setting it is for the moment. Ehehe. ^^;)

Edit: Forgot you were using a wired controller. I don't see why this wouldn't work for that, BUT, they were intended for the wireless controllers, so yeah. Try it anyway, see if it works? If not, then oh well, sorry I couldn't help.
 Bahamut.Reeve
By Bahamut.Reeve 2009-05-27 15:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I managed to download the XBCD driver and followed the instructions but it still wont work for me lol, If I can find a replacement saitek pad I'll return the XBOX one, but if not I'll just swap a few buttons around here and there ^^ I'll get used to it :D

Thanks for the help everyone.