A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 99 100 101
By mrlooolz 2018-09-12 03:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
well yesterday malaise was broken by the update, so your malaise and acumen/focus was borked, id try again today
Could have been. Back to Cap helixes now.
[+]
 Asura.Warusha
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Serithus
By Asura.Warusha 2018-09-12 04:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll have whatever he's having... You mean 10k for capped helixes, right?
By Autocast 2018-09-12 06:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Working on sch merlinic augs, Got Macc40, MAB35, MB10% on head, curious how much the lack of INT will hurt, Worth continuing to push for a high INT aug at most likely the cost of lower Macc/MAB?
[+]
By mrlooolz 2018-09-12 17:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Warusha said: »
I'll have whatever he's having... You mean 10k for capped helixes, right?

99k Only!

yeah, seems like it was connection issue over anything for me.
By BlaTheTaru 2018-09-12 18:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt you'll get a better augment anytime soon. My merlinic head isn't that nicely done. I use full amalric +1 and a merlinic head. Storm feet when applicable of course and I never run into things that I struggle with damage wise.
 Asura.Misakune
user: shaociang
By Asura.Misakune 2018-09-25 01:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering..is there a good frame of reference listed somewhere that will tell me how much MACC I should aim for on certain fights? I know that melee accuracy is listed on a lot of NM pages, but I am not seeing it listed for MACC. I know generally speaking you cap MBD and get MAB as high as you can, but knowing how much MACC to aim for would be super helpful for gear planning.
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2018-09-25 12:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a heads up, looks like they went ahead and added % to the end of Telchine Regen Potency augments. Not sure if there's other pieces that got changed like this but it's still a straight up +1-3 instead of +1-3%.
 Asura.Bikpik
user: Bikpik1
By Asura.Bikpik 2018-10-10 09:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone bored enough to post updated gear sets please?
[+]
 Leviathan.Sidra
Server: Leviathan
user: Sidra
By Leviathan.Sidra 2018-10-10 10:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Gobbo said: »
Just a heads up, looks like they went ahead and added % to the end of Telchine Regen Potency augments. Not sure if there's other pieces that got changed like this but it's still a straight up +1-3 instead of +1-3%.

Will we need to update luas?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Bikpik
user: Bikpik1
By Asura.Bikpik 2018-11-06 11:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Anyone bored enough to post updated gear sets please?

bump, anyone?
By Elizabet 2018-11-14 02:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question, between ambuscade sets, chironic, merlinic, Almaric... Why should I +3 any Academic gear? Am I missing something obvious?
By Pantafernando 2018-11-14 03:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Academic hands seems very decebt for a stun set imo
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-11-14 03:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Elizabet said: »
Quick question, between ambuscade sets, chironic, merlinic, Almaric... Why should I +3 any Academic gear? Am I missing something obvious?

A full academic's +3 set will give you probably the best enfeebling set you can get due to the extra macc you would get from the set bonus easily hands down. SCH really shouldn't care much about enfeebling skill because all the enfeebles they cast should already be over cap on skill.

Body +3 seems like it would be BiS for Stun acc and Drain/Aspir in dark arts, as well as a staple in your magic burst damage set unless you can get a really good Merlinic Jubbah.

Hands +3: Fast Cast +9%, pretty good for Conserve MP too.

Feet +3: Grimoire cast time

Legs +3: Best Cure potency, even better if you're in Light Arts
By chads 2018-11-15 18:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to help a friend gear up, he has close to .... nothing, what is gear progression like for SCH? I know basically nothing about the class. So like, what are the basics? I can solo basically anything in E-ZiTah, T1-3 in ESky, and T1-2 in Reisen. Ofc can handle any Skirmish, Delve, HTBC, etc etc etc. I just have NO CLUE where to begin for SCH.

If you could helps please! : - (!
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2018-11-15 19:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

chads said: »
Trying to help a friend gear up, he has close to .... nothing, what is gear progression like for SCH? I know basically nothing about the class. So like, what are the basics? I can solo basically anything in E-ZiTah, T1-3 in ESky, and T1-2 in Reisen. Ofc can handle any Skirmish, Delve, HTBC, etc etc etc. I just have NO CLUE where to begin for SCH.

Start Omen farming as soon as possible. Even if you can't afford to upgrade pieces yet, farming for cards for full +3 sets is going to take a lot of time to finish and requires very little to do. If you can, get him started with a full set of Telchine and slowly augment as you get stones, the set is pretty solid regardless of what stage you're at.

After that, do some Ambu to get some Jhakri for free nuke set and cape. Also helps him start building income. In his down time I recommend having him farm silt, it's boring but starting out it's annoying since everything will feel expensive with the eventual reisen augments he will inevitably do.

Amalric is your go-to set after Ambu though, finally when you're both good starting the augment dump, do Chironic/Merlinic farming.

Edit: Oh right, a staff. Get him that Akademos asap.
By Pantafernando 2018-11-16 01:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

chads said: »

I would say you first need to think what roles will your SCH fill (obviously you can just prepare to fill every role but thats not a optimized approach to start with).

SCH can work as a skillchain maker for mage bursts setup, buff/healer or mage DD. Each role will require different equipment.

Imo, i would start with the healer/buff aspects. For that you will want some cure pot gear, whats not hard and kinda generic so just use whatever you have atm.

Second is the buffing aspects, and for that you will want the empy hands plus telchine sets augmented with enhancing magic duration plus weapons that also provide that effect (there are a couple like reisenjima gear, omen shield, etc). Regen is similar but you can drop some enhancing duration gear for regen+ gear.

For mage DD and magic bursts then you will want to gear like your BLM so there is not many secret here aside maybe the empy feet if you have proper weather. Aside that, just try to get as much magic burst gear till the cap whats relatively easier to get on SCH due to Akademos having 10% and that Akademos is the most common and good SCH nuking weapon.

EDIT: and I forgot the stun role which will require your set to have both fast cast and macc together as you probably wont be swapping pre cast and cast sets due to stun low casting time. Just do notice that if youre plannning to stun lock something, you MUST (thats not an option) have relic feet (preferably +2) as it enhance alacrity allowing it to break the stun recast cap up to 4s.
By geigei 2018-11-16 03:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sch have 2 great things imo, skillchain and regen5.
Mb strats kinda dead sadly but they might come back in ambu or something.
 Asura.Koyote
user: omegaxll
By Asura.Koyote 2018-12-01 09:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello, im a returning player and gearing up SCH, i've heard some sch's can do huge dmgs with SC's and helix, anyone can help me with stuff needed for that, any tricks/advice/help appreciated. Thank you
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2018-12-01 10:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There's not a whole lot to it really.

SC'ing comes from using Immanence Stratagem. Makes the next nuke have level 1 skillchain properties based on element. You can use the table for level 1 chains here in order to determine what to use.

You can self-SC by using Immanence on two nukes in a row, which is useful. However, you can form SCs with others too, and it saves time and stratagem charges to do that if you can coordinate.

Helix spells predominately benefit from the +Magic Damage stat that ilevel gear brought. It increases the base damage of all nukes, but does proportionally more for low tier ones. You'll obviously get even more damage out of bursting them. You can learn the particulars about Helix spells here.

Practically speaking, Helix spells alone can kill a lot of lower tier things if you push their damage up enough. The main consideration there is that a mob can only have one Helix on it at a time, and overwriting is purely based on tier.
More often, you'll use them as an insurance policy than the only damage. If you're fighting something you may wipe to, the potential to have a Helix take 100k+ more HP off it while you recover is...handy.

Job Points/Gifts improve things a lot. The 550 Gift drops Stratagem recharge by 15 seconds each, allowing you to Immanence SC with greater frequency. The 1200 gift Helix IIs basically let you more readily use the T1s for SC'ing (they're your only real light/dark options) as the TIIs won't get overwritten by them.
 Asura.Koyote
By Asura.Koyote 2018-12-01 10:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
There's not a whole lot to it really.

SC'ing comes from using Immanence Stratagem. Makes the next nuke have level 1 skillchain properties based on element. You can use the table for level 1 chains here in order to determine what to use.

You can self-SC by using Immanence on two nukes in a row, which is useful. However, you can form SCs with others too, and it saves time and stratagem charges to do that if you can coordinate.

Helix spells predominately benefit from the +Magic Damage stat that ilevel gear brought. It increases the base damage of all nukes, but does proportionally more for low tier ones. You'll obviously get even more damage out of bursting them. You can learn the particulars about Helix spells here.

Practically speaking, Helix spells alone can kill a lot of lower tier things if you push their damage up enough. The main consideration there is that a mob can only have one Helix on it at a time, and overwriting is purely based on tier.
More often, you'll use them as an insurance policy than the only damage. If you're fighting something you may wipe to, the potential to have a Helix take 100k+ more HP off it while you recover is...handy.

Job Points/Gifts improve things a lot. The 550 Gift drops Stratagem recharge by 15 seconds each, allowing you to Immanence SC with greater frequency. The 1200 gift Helix IIs basically let you more readily use the T1s for SC'ing (they're your only real light/dark options) as the TIIs won't get overwritten by them.

Thank you for all those answers.
Any ideas of sets i could use for Helix/nuke damages ?
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2018-12-01 10:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what you have access to. The "starter" nuke set these days is often the Jhakri set, though it's glass cannon-ey and has little to reduce recast times. Amalric can also be good (HQ is still best for damage I think, but may lack MAcc on higher end stuff). Decent augments on Reisenjima sets (usually Merlinic) as well. Most of your JSE sets aren't worth using until +2/3, which will likely be a while. The main exception is Empyrean feet, as the Klimaform boost is hard to beat.

The main consideration for Helix spells is that, while you still want to use Storm for Weather, they automatically get the bonus from it. So, you don't need to use the Obi/etc on them.
 Asura.Koyote
By Asura.Koyote 2018-12-02 10:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you so much for your help
 Asura.Trickflo
user: Efan
By Asura.Trickflo 2018-12-04 20:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

How much af/relic/empy does sch need? I'm thinking of leveling it for the utility it brings but I still have lots of reforging to do for my main jobs when i can afford it.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2018-12-04 21:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Trickflo said: »
How much af/relic/empy does sch need? I'm thinking of leveling it for the utility it brings but I still have lots of reforging to do for my main jobs when i can afford it.
not a ton of reforged.

empy hands
af feet

could get away with minimum

you could also guess the empy feet will be great when empy goes +2/+3
 Asura.Trickflo
user: Efan
By Asura.Trickflo 2018-12-04 21:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

ty for the info. do the af feet need +3 to be useful or they still good +1? Doing 3 pieces is pretty doable for sure.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2018-12-04 21:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

+3 really break the fastcast cap, allow you to hit a t5+t4 nuke on your own skillchain, or t5/helix2.

The other +3 is nice for macc but not super needed
By Chimerawizard 2018-12-04 21:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

augmented relic legs too; don't have to +1 it or anything though.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-12-04 21:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're serious about the job:

5/5 AF+3,
5/5 Relic+3,
3/5 Empy +1 (head, hands, feet).

Most SCH JSE give unique JA boosts, spell potency/duration boosts and a lot of important skill/macc bonuses. The two grimoire casting reduction pieces are game changers.

It's not really a job you can skimp on JSE and people won't notice.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2018-12-04 21:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
+3 really break the fastcast cap, allow you to hit a t5+t4 nuke on your own skillchain, or t5/helix2.

The other +3 is nice for macc but not super needed

You can do 5+4 on your own sc with just regular FC gear
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 99 100 101