A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 99 100 101
By charlo999 2013-09-29 19:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm saw it in a few different places
wiki has a confirmation tag next to it
link on bgwiki only shows tests off the undead killer trait that is 5% which is what old wiki might be mistaken with
let me look for a link.
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-29 19:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I did word it wrong, it's not a 121% increase in recast, it's a 21% increase. I forgot to subtract the 1.

Where do you see 30% from just the vampiric set? I looked at both wiki's. saw 5{verification} on old. 10% set on BG. ya, head's 10%, ear is 5%, ring is 5%. so total 30%. total +30% vs. +10% (only ring/ear)

new/old=difference
On both I did potency set / recast set =
if you do recast/potency = 15.3% less potent & 17.3% faster recast

Also, I use alacrity>aspir on krabakarpo when I have Tabula Rasa active to get some mp back from doing 6 embrava's, 3 AoE, 2 single target for whm's, 1 single target geo who's by the DD's.

I also use alacrity+manifestation drain/aspir in campaign occasionally.
By charlo999 2013-09-29 19:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/14999/vampiric-mitts

comment here

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=260&mid=12651582857217319&h=50

thread here

which links to this thread

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/64880-What-s-this-thing-do-Latents-Triggers/page3

obviously though hard to get items
maybe best to just compare the 10% head to the fastcast head in your calculations too.

Also what do you need mp for after embrava on krabakarpo with sub up and refresh from embrava on you if you just back on stun duty?
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-29 19:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So I can do another full set of embrava's before TR wears.

I'm going to ask the guy who made the edit from 30% to 10% for details.
If it's 30%, um... ya, full time that & find somewhere else to lower recast.

assuming hands feet stay the same:
FC: 41.4 & 110%
potency: 45.4 & 120%
FC/potency: 8% faster, 8.3% less potent
inverse: 9.6% slower, 9.1% more potent

I think the whole thing is more about playstyle though. As I said in the first post about this, I made that set while thinking about inventory. I personally don't carry around much gear for aspir.

EDIT: my elixir's stay in bazaar for 1gil during delve in case a whm needs. I probaby should just grab an extra instead of spending 2 minutes spamming aspir.
By charlo999 2013-09-29 19:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh I guess ive always just used a vile+1 to make sure on situations like that. less time taken away for stuns and no roll of the dice on resists, especially if using the potency staff.

45.4 - 41.4 = 4

45.4/100 = 0.454

4/0.454 = 8.8106% faster

120-110 = 10

110/100 = 1.1

10/1.1 = 9.0909% stronger

yeah looks like head is close striga has 5 more magic acc though aswell as being 0.2-0.3% better, guess inv issues matter but unless you spamming drain/aspir as soon as the timer is ready that 8.8% wont count at all whereas the 9.09% will always count.
hopefully the new inv expansion will help.

edit: didn't see your previous edit on calculations went to eat while I did this

Also knowing the potency staffs add 35% boost after spell calculation for nukes does this work for drain/aspir also, after enhance pieces?
or added to it?
like 120% add 35% = 155%
or 120%base then another 35% = 162%
Which would make potency pieces even stronger.
Now the head would do 12.2727%
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-30 08:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

charlo999 said: »
Also knowing the potency staffs add 35% boost after spell calculation for nukes does this work for drain/aspir also, after enhance pieces?
or added to it?
like 120% add 35% = 155%
or 120%base then another 35% = 162%
Which would make potency pieces even stronger.
Now the head would do 12.2727%
It does work with drain/aspir, although I do not know if it is additive or multiplicative.

Also go to the talk page of above mentioned link to find Byrth's results on the set bonus. He did a 1hr test where the range stayed within +10% for the set bonus.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-09-30 10:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It is probably multiplicative

I think that FC/Haste sets for Dark Magic have their place, but I haven't really needed them since the introduction of Aspir II. It's just a question of how often you will want to cast Aspir, and recently I don't really want to cast it that often. SCH is a very MP efficient job, and Seidr Cotehardie even further takes the pressure off.

This set should give 254~508 for Aspir II non-resists (average of 381 MP):
ItemSet 313841
490 Dark Magic Skill (with 16 from merits and Dark Arts)
+28% potency
+35% dark magic potency

If you swap hands to Avesta Bangles and feet to Fea's Pigaches (Dark skill +22), you get 244~489 for Aspir II but pick up ~25 MAcc.

Personally, I don't find that it is beneficial to carry around/store so many specialized dark magic pieces (compared to just having more inventory space) and my Vampiric set is muled right now. There is some point where improving your potency / recast time on Aspir / Aspir II will have no notable impact on your performance, and I'd say that point comes fairly quickly these days.

Also, the dark damage magian really suffers against current content due to its lower macc.
By Chimerawizard 2013-09-30 12:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I give. Copied Byrth's set to use for the guide & linked the post. that big an aspir really leaves little need for faster recast.

Now, should I add the head and/or vampiric set to the gear to tote around part? ...

EDIT: removed a bunch of spoilers from the node because I tried firefox & chrome on two computers & they wouldn't open. I left two for the moment, I'll check later to find out if I can open them on other computers.
[+]
 Sylph.Staleyx
Server: Sylph
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2013-10-02 23:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Phidruran Thanks for that tip its working. I'm able to pull a group solo,sleepga absorb mndga then aoe kaustra a group dead. On colibri atm. Getting there shortly.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-10-05 16:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any math that says ToM beats Voay for high tier nukes like it suggests on the main page? My testing says otherwise
By Chimerawizard 2013-10-05 18:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

No, ToM have little purpose aside from a precast set now. Voay beats ToM, but I avoid it simply because of the lack of any magic accuracy on it. It should do well in old content where that is not an issue.
When I put, "best used for high tier nukes," I had meant ToM did so bad that's really the only time they have any potential to keep up with new staves. Not that they beat anything. I guess it was misleading. I'll change it tomorrow.

I use a lehbrailg (mab+29) for high tier nukes myself so I don't know but how's the resist rate with Voay equipped at reives and the like?
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-10-05 20:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
No, ToM have no real purpose aside from a precast set now. Voay beats ToM, but I avoid it simply because of the lack of any magic accuracy on it. It should do well in old content where that is not an issue.
When I put, "best used for high tier nukes," I had meant ToM did so bad that's really the only time they have any potential to keep up with new staves. Not that they beat anything. I guess it was misleading. I'll change it tomorrow.

I use a lehbrailg (mab+29) for high tier nukes myself so I don't know but how's the resist rate with Voay equipped at reives and the like?
I`ll do a few runs tomorrow and get back to you, have`nt done reive for a while so I can`t remember off hand.
 Ragnarok.Headache
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Headache 2013-10-23 13:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everybody,

I just got me the Bookworm's cape. My question is should i continue using twilight cape for t4/5? I'll post my set for reference. MAB+15 on head, +19 on body and +14 on legs. I also use Voay +1 for T4/5.

Thx in advance!

ItemSet 304762

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Headache
By Ragnarok.Headache 2013-10-24 03:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This is just a default set josi. Ofc i use obis. Any suggestions on twilight vs. Bookworm for t4/5?

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Headache
By Ragnarok.Headache 2013-10-24 04:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

That is what i was going to do. I thought i would ask here first to see if anyone tested it already. So if you don't care much about the results yourself, you don't have to put any work into it. Tyvm for the offer though! I'll go test it on bees in battalia and provide the numbers as soon as i have them if anyone cares.
By Inference 2013-10-24 04:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Using Voay +1 for T4/T5, Twilight wins over Bookworm from anywhere between 20-50ish damage, using the set you posted(replacing waist with Sea Obi of course).

Though, if you're going to test it anyways I'd be curious to see how bad my math was.
 Ragnarok.Headache
By Ragnarok.Headache 2013-10-24 05:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

thx a lot inference! You just saved me a trip :) so i'll use voay +1 and twilight on non-resistant stuff Edit: i can still do a small test if you are not confident with ur math

Post deleted by User.
By boneslasher 2013-10-25 20:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm somewhat new to mages is these cure set better? You can get 50% cure potency if u get good augs on head hands body and more MND and VIT than VW body and Delve hands.
ItemSet 314763

Post deleted by User.
By Chimerawizard 2013-10-26 22:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Welcome to ffxiah boneslasher~
and yeah that set looks pretty top tier when enmity isn't a factor
2nd that.

You'd need some sick cure pot augments to hit 50% with those. +22 between the 3 pieces.
I should change the guide's set to that but ... I'm just going to wait for the november update. There will likely be a bunch of things to change then anyway.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-10-27 18:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think the guides ever been so sexy. Have a gold star Chim!

By Chimerawizard 2013-11-04 15:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys, you know that fools gold staff, ya know. Well, SE decided to do this:

Other items to get.Novio is no longer the #1 earring, it went down to #2.
The necklace has the same description as atmacites, so should do very good.
Grip & ammo going to need to math out to see when it beats INT / MAB alternatives.
Backs, Going to have to math those out as well.
That last weapon likely has +5~10% damage bonus like the blm mythic. Great with ES active. free alternative to atinian the rest of the time.

Thoughts on AF+2: What's noteworthy?
Head: m.eva, Sublimation?
Body: m.eva, Refresh
Hands: Fast Cast, Haste & Conserve MP
Legs: m.eva, Light arts (likely best enhancing/healing skill piece)
Feet: m.eva, haste & recast reduction (when alacrity not used)

Not sure how much I actually like that AF since it's not like I can replace at least 2 pieces of gear w/ 1 of those.
 Phoenix.Aerolite
Server: Phoenix
user: Daily
By Phoenix.Aerolite 2013-11-04 23:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Tupsimati still useless? (I never relearned how to do the magic dmg calculations after the update to elemental magic and after "magic damage+" was added.)
By Chimerawizard 2013-11-05 02:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Aerolite said: »
Is Tupsimati still useless? (I never relearned how to do the magic dmg calculations after the update to elemental magic and after "magic damage+" was added.)
The following link has a magic calculator created by Motenten: here

You may need to change an existing Tupsimati's stats to reflect the upgraded version. With this, you shouldn't need to worry quite as much about the magic dmg calculations. Don't forget to try a few different mobs from the list to get an idea how tougher mobs effect damage.

To answer the question: lowman:Yes Endgame:No.
Tupsimati is possibly the best nuking staff for SCH at present.
Last I heard, a buffed monk still deals magic damage a lot faster than a mage is able to do.
 Phoenix.Aerolite
Server: Phoenix
user: Daily
By Phoenix.Aerolite 2013-11-05 14:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, has anyone figured out how much Fast Cast is on the new AF hands yet?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [33 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx 2013-12-08 23:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so first, foolish assumption, people max gearing SCH are using spellcast.

Question time.
Why are you suggesting:
Hedera(stun)/Manasa(enf)/Anhur(pre&enh) combo?

Seems to me you could go with:
Eirene's(precast&stun)/Manasa(enh&enfeeb)
and free up 1 inventory space

*if youre for some reason using it,(Hedera), to melee....I guess its ok.
or if youre using it for conserve mp then why not use an Austerity belt for higher activation rate?
By Chimerawizard 2013-12-09 12:50:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't use Eirene's because fast cast ≠ haste.
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Spell_Recast
It might be kinda confusing, but suffice to say, it's best to stack w/e term you can get the most of. Marches/embrava/haste(spell) make haste the obvious choice. Landing the spell is first priority, after that cap haste > fast cast wherever possible.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 99 100 101