A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 99 100 101
 Bahamut.Blackmagus
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Blackmagus 2013-06-06 23:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay tyvm, We're getting ready to attempt him soon so digging up information lol
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-06-06 23:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Gl! we were doing animation stuns (stun as soon as animation starts) on it and it was pretty easy as long as DDs kill it before the stun resist builds.
 Bahamut.Blackmagus
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Blackmagus 2013-06-06 23:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

okay will pass the word on to the ls :) I'll probably be one of the stunners when we do it next week, and the set helps a lot you posted.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-06-07 00:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
But even if we lack magic acc, then you get a brd, cor or geo to Macc boost. D armor is like 50+ mil per piece. I wouldn't ever pay that money for Macc increase. Their will always be other gear rare/ex or ah that can beat that even if not on the market now.
Who said anything about augmenting delve gear with Macc?

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
Macc. I leave that for the buffer jobs. That way they have something to do.
That's like a MNK saying "Pff, accuracy? I leave that to the PUP".

If your buffers have nothing to get on with after buffing then they are doing it wrong.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-06-07 01:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Apperantly its not a flat 40, it was a bit lower on one of our later kills that was a bit messy and had less magic eva down.
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
Server: Ragnarok
user: Neptune
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-06-07 02:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
This set looks ridiculous :/
This is probably the ugliest SCH set I've ever seen, lol. Grats though!

On a more serious note though, at which minimum rank would Bokwus slops outdo Akasha Chaps? This is my current goal set, just need 40 plans for the pigaches. I am well aware that Rank 15 Bokwus outdoes everything here, but I'm not aiming for that just yet. Anyway, cutting to the chase, with this current setup (Soothsayer staff is otw too), which is the minimum Rank needed on the Bokwus Slops so I can forget about Akasha Chaps?

ItemSet 303625
(Using AF3+2 Feet when Klimaform is up, which is not often enough because I suck and forget about it!)

Thanks a bunch <3 Help is much appreciated!
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-07 03:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Was the Soothsayer staff mathed out against the dmg+ ToMs?
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-06-07 03:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
Sawtelle posted this here. If I understand this right, the harder the target the more Soothsayer wins out?
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-06-07 10:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tarusofo said: »
On a more serious note though, at which minimum rank would Bokwus slops outdo Akasha Chaps?
Approximately rank 7 depending on mob. By rank 10 i'm pretty sure its solidly ahead.

Odin.Eikechi said: »
Sawtelle posted this here. If I understand this right, the harder the target the more Soothsayer wins out?
Correct but in most normal situations ToM is going to win unless your gear is largely below posted set, or your trying to nuke delve NMs w/ no cor buffs or anything. Soothslayer is best in nyzul (and other events where you might be able to squeeze melee) cause you can count as a melee DD.
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-06-08 04:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh! Awesome responses thanks! It's even better, I have a bunch of geodes I had been saving in my mules, enough to complete the Thunder and Ice paths, and more plasm to spend on other stuff..!

Also great to hear about the Bokwus Slops, definitely will attempt to those, thanks!
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-06-09 20:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

are these good baselines for general stun purpose where macc wont be an issue
ItemSet 303948

and then this for slightly more?
ItemSet 303949

also how much did you pay for the -1 pants sawtelle?
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-06-09 22:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

"Note about Bhaflau Remnants: Be warned, you likely wont have JAs on the first floor. Have DDs fight the dahak from behind to avoid petrify as you wont have stona. The Cerb Has a seasaw pdt/mdt type mechanic. Tossing kaustra on it is very nice, along with occasional nukes if your party doesn't have nonphysical damage."

Additionally you can either silence the dahak as well as violent flourish nullsong or request your melee drop all buffs besides protect is usually best.

As for other sch specific salvage suggestions/info...

Erase aegis schism from fomors esp when theres 6 up with the linking monks, thats a good floor to fully rebuff after dahak nm and embrava, should be around 20mins in.

Floor one AR2 once you've located the chigoe set embrava and phalanx have the thf flee sack all required mobs to pop the chigoe and manifest kaustra can clear this floor and cut it down to as little as 12-14mins even duo.

Possible to nuke and pretty much 1 shot the ramparts just before the qiqirn THF NM floor 1 SSR2 saving time as killing the pops from these four isnt required. Same for the floor 2 rampart just before floor 2 fomor THF NM rampart can be killed off before pops.

Scholar's job imo if all buffs are set during acroliths AR2 to pre pull the lamia rng/cor or qutrub drks. Fire/water nukes generally advised for acroliths duo sch/rdm and thf/dnc this will help a bit.

Possible to gravity and bind Khim NQ and HQ iirc its the same for cerbs, all chariots are susceptible to break during brainjack perhaps although SSR2 version only BJ 1 person at 1 time who you can just bind and have 2nd dd move a bit.

As far as cells go I personally would take all cells 1st thf/dnc with 2nd opac if there is one to the mnk or 2nd sj to the sch. Thats partly down to personal preference.

Not much here just a few small added sch roles you could take on to make the runs faster/safer/smoother.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-06-09 22:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
are these good baselines for general stun purpose where macc wont be an issue
ItemSet 303948

and then this for slightly more?
ItemSet 303949

also how much did you pay for the -1 pants sawtelle?
Those sets are fine. One of the ls scholars has gear at about that level and was able to stun well enough to function as the 2nd stunner at one of our Tojil runs.

As for -1 pants I assume you mean Iaso, which I never got. I had it in my wanted for 50mil for a month or 2 and never got any messages. I'd probably pay about 30 if I saw a pair now a days (which given how uncommon prov watcher is, I doubt will happen any time soon).

Sylph.Krsone said: »
Stuff
Looks like good advice, going to link your post in the OP.
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-06-11 06:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Additionally you can either silence the dahak as well as violent flourish nullsong or request your melee drop all buffs besides protect is usually best.

I've completely stopped silencing the Dahak, found out it would spam Body Slam too much and depending on unlocks, having the 2 melee without HP unlock and it spamming Body Slam is a nono. Instead it seems to try to Thornsong a lot, and I dispel it asap, and tries to reapply, sometimes reapplying it back to back before my Dispel is up, too!

That's going of our group's experience though, but done 4 Usu pieces so far and 1 Marduk so we're very familiar with how Bhaf works. Other than sometimes the MNK getting Nullsong'd when popping his own buffs, we rarely have a problem with it!

As for -1 pants I assume you mean Iaso, which I never got. I had it in my wanted for 50mil for a month or 2 and never got any messages. I'd probably pay about 30 if I saw a pair now a days (which given how uncommon prov watcher is, I doubt will happen any time soon).

Morta drops them too, I got mine yesterday but sadly I can't spend that much on -1... The LS I'm in has been spamming it lately since we're not lucky to get Cotehardies.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-06-11 06:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

On a more serious note though, at which minimum rank would Bokwus slops outdo Akasha Chaps?
Approximately rank 7 depending on mob. By rank 10 i'm pretty sure its solidly ahead.
Assuming no Akasha Chaps, what rank would be needed to out do something like say AF2+2 legs?
By Chimerawizard 2013-06-11 07:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you try to look it up?
af2+2 5int 5mab
rank4 3int 7mab. slightly better in most circumstances.
rank5 4int 8mab. better.

edit: /slap myself, I thought I was in the BLM thread when I posted.
in that case:
rank 1 is when it beats af2+2.
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-06-11 12:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you guys are talking about BLM pants? O: This is SCH's turf, ok?~
By Dougr 2013-06-12 20:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse my french, but how the *** do I get the SCH relic feet? What is the trick? I've spent 5 days killing DC beastmen in Bubu, I have obtained literally every relic equip and accessory in the zone as well as ever single -1 piece, yet no SCH feet? I've been beating on Turtles and Yags, any advise would be great.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-06-12 23:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

not really much to be said other than keep at it :/

maybe move to EPs? I'm not sure if DCs have a higher drop rate on AF, but if they don't you'll kill more EPs than DCs in same time period.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Hidegger
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidegger 2013-06-12 23:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Do helices stack? Looked around and found no info posted.
 Phoenix.Warusha
Server: Phoenix
user: Serithus
By Phoenix.Warusha 2013-06-12 23:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

They overwrite even if the damage is lower.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-06-13 00:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've completely stopped silencing the Dahak, found out it would spam Body Slam too much and depending on unlocks, having the 2 melee without HP unlock and it spamming Body Slam is a nono. Instead it seems to try to Thornsong a lot, and I dispel it asap, and tries to reapply, sometimes reapplying it back to back before my Dispel is up, too!

That's going of our group's experience though, but done 4 Usu pieces so far and 1 Marduk so we're very familiar with how Bhaf works. Other than sometimes the MNK getting Nullsong'd when popping his own buffs, we rarely have a problem with it!

Morta drops them too, I got mine yesterday but sadly I can't spend that much on -1... The LS I'm in has been spamming it lately since we're not lucky to get Cotehardies.

A good sch even with no ability or sj yet at this point in BR if you timed your rest during the goblin NM should be ok on mp to heal three melee for both dahak. You basically have 2 options with 3 melee though make sure its stunned / silenced always and never has a chance to nullsong or just allow the 2-3 melee to keep food and protect buffs only. Body slam is pretty weak with protect up still, and will save alot on mp. Im not sure where you're reliably getting sj from in floor 1 BR2 to spam dispel on it anyway. Ive given imo the 2 best options for this nm anyway you either silence/butt+lunge and keep buffs or you dont and you drop them.

Asura.Calatilla said: »
Assuming no Akasha Chaps, what rank would be needed to out do something like say AF2+2 legs?

Af2+2 sch leg is the piece you get for extended tabula, so I assume like Tarusofo said you was asking in regards to blm not sch af2+2. As for blm you shouldnt even be carrying af2+2 leg, its af3+2 leg for cumulative/aja spells and orvail for t1-t15 eventually replacing both with akasha or augmented bokwus though.

Dougr said: »
Excuse my french, but how the *** do I get the SCH relic feet? What is the trick? I've spent 5 days killing DC beastmen in Bubu, I have obtained literally every relic equip and accessory in the zone as well as ever single -1 piece, yet no SCH feet? I've been beating on Turtles and Yags, any advise would be great.

This is quite normal I think, I carried all 19 other af2 with me for several beastmen runs in a row before sch finally dropped 6x 160 coin solo bubu ep beastmen runs and I had 19 af2 by the end of the 4th with the 5th run not dropping a single af. Same happened for qufim for the legs. Nothing here I can suggest besides the camps I used. For bubu I did ep goblins near the ep eft as there are several ja ones all close to eft side. For qufim I started with ep goblins for 1-2 runs but basically for a thf/dnc ep yagudo will overall be an easier camp(bomb toss crispy candle etc) got the legs on yagudo on my 4th run iirc.
By Alpheus 2013-06-13 00:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth I took forever to get my SCH AF from Bubu only to have it drop after like 1 kill from Dyna Windy. Needless to say I was pissed.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-06-13 00:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I know Windy im sure would of been better :/ But I have to stick with one zone once im started .. im like that.
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-06-13 10:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

A good sch even with no ability or sj yet at this point in BR if you timed your rest during the goblin NM should be ok on mp to heal three melee for both dahak. You basically have 2 options with 3 melee though make sure its stunned / silenced always and never has a chance to nullsong or just allow the 2-3 melee to keep food and protect buffs only. Body slam is pretty weak with protect up still, and will save alot on mp. Im not sure where you're reliably getting sj from in floor 1 BR2 to spam dispel on it anyway. Ive given imo the 2 best options for this nm anyway you either silence/butt+lunge and keep buffs or you dont and you drop them.

Like I said, different group setups, I assume you roll with a BLU and/or maybe a main DNC? Our setup is THF MNK SCH (BRD). I get first SJ from lamp, MNK gets JA and if extras, I'll get 2nd JA and he gets 2nd SJ. Getting SJ from Lamp imo is a no-brainer (Haste, Dispel, Slow/Para/Blind/Gravity, Refresh, all pretty useful so I don't even have to rest and also speed up Floor 1), but idk if I would count on 2 Spellcasting or 2 JAs from the lamp for Sudden Lunge/Violent Flourish Nullsong.

Whatever works for your group I guess, Salv II is so easy that I'd say most job combinations would work. By no means was I criticizing your input, just explaining how our does it.

Oh also, I got lucky with Windurst, around 10-20 minutes after getting all TEs, got Argute's Loafers and particularly yesterday finished the trial in one go against Buburimu Peninsula (god bless the Undecennial ring). Much worse was my luck with DNC AF2 legs, but that's another story. D;
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-06-13 11:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Scholar rundown for 5NM+Tojil runs:
(You are probably on sch/blm, but I mention a few other things incase your filling in for a whm or something)

Matamata: I would think most people would know this NM by now but i'll include it. There are 2 ways to kill this, one is to nuke it between every TP move and then have melees kill after 7th TP move, or have DDs hold it till 7th w/ no magic damage and then kill w/ magic dmg like formless or nukes. Sch can obviously assist with either of these.

Cranial thrust is max hp down, tail thwack is def down; both should be erased asap if you are the holder's support. Scalding breath is some DoT that should be erased so you can erase the previous 2 when they happen. With approximately the nuking set on the first page an unresisted nuke after the 6th tp move does about 15, resisted will be like 1-2.

Sleep lands, I'm not sure on break as i've never had to use it.

Eft: Spells are slow to start, and easy to stun. gets faster but still possible. some TP moves are stunnable, but they are fast. I tend to revert to animation stunning (stunning when you see the readying lines animation on the mob), although if you don't have to the Toxin move is the best to stun. Regen helps counter the poison. Sleep, break both land.

Raptor: Magic damage makes this up its damage output a bit so avoid all magic dmg. This includes super weak dmg like bio/dia. Air on the side of caution and stun if you see a DD get TPed and not get a cure very promptly after. about 3/4ths of moves are able to be animation stunned. Whirling Infirno is slow enough to chatlog stun (stun when you see it readying this specific move), and definitally should be. My group has 2 schs alternating stunning which ever comes first of "oh ***, DD just got 2/3rds of his HP ate" and Inferno. Sleep, break land. Magic debuffs don't cause rage so slow/blind/para are all good ideas.

Pieste: Blind this. Everything it does is slow enough to chat log stun w/ good reflexes if it is blinded. Calcifying mist is by far the most destructive and should definitely be stunned. Everything else is a bit annoying but wont cause a wipe especially if you have yagrush whms. W/o yagrush whms, I would try to stun torp charge(para) and regurgitation(bind) also. Sleep lands, relatively sure break does also.

Kurma: The way my group does this it is a DD zerg and sch doesn't do much. Animation stunning is fast enough that it will catch tortoise song about half the time. Testudo tremor is slow enough to chatlog stun. Dispel after harden shell (can use darkstorm+klima to help w/ acc if needed). Can toss nukes in free time if you want.

Tojil: I can't really say much but stun what your leaders say to stun, everything is slow enough to chatlog stun, but personally my group stuns everything and animation stuns. Exact run down of my groups runs:

*After 5th mob, I switch to light arts and AoE perp thunderstorm
*As pld starts pulling(30-40 seconds before engage) brds pop JAs/soul voice and I pop tabula.
*Embrava all 3 partys (maily for refresh/regen), windstorm on rdm, dark arts+addendum black, manifestation klimaform, alacrity wait for mob to arive
*solo stun on animation all TP moves while tabula is up, other sch does ES impact during this time.
*Aproximately 15 seconds before tabula wears I tell other scholar he is up after my next stun.
*We alternate stunning until I(we, but I go based on my strats) get close to out of strats (normally around the 4~4.5min mark on the fight)
*I tell other scholar "after my next stun, get tabula stuns". Once I stun he lets me know its in his hands. He does not embrava, he just stuns.
*I ES impact then redo manifestion kilmaform and thunderstorms/windstorm in dark arts.
*He stuns until he has about 15 seconds left on tabula and tells me to start alternating.
*alternate till its dead.

We ALMOST always kill it near the end of the 2nd tabula, when we don't we get another aprox 1.5 minutes before stun starts resisting (buffs: geo magic acc+, geo magic eva-, magic acc roll). Try to keep sublimation charging the entire time; you shouldn't have mp issues but getting slept if one gets off makes it hard to stun. If the buff move gets off and your free, toss dispels; those blaze spikes are beast. Hope this helps, gl your quest yaoyotl gloves!

Back to OP
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-07-08 13:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks bg dat mines for ruining my pants if that magic damage+ stat is as strait forward as it sounds. also these but I get less hyped about enfeebling feet:

[+]
 Odin.Calipso
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2013-07-08 13:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Dafuq
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-07-08 13:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

DARN IT CALI!
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-07-08 14:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I was excited at a possibility of my Magian Staves being replaced, but then I remembered they have Casting- and Recast- on them. Dammit.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 99 100 101