Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Goldsmithing » Is goldsmithing Risky/Worth it
Is goldsmithing Risky/Worth it
 Fenrir.Mazler
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Masler
By Fenrir.Mazler 2012-07-05 03:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi guys I have a question I need answered. I was really excited to start leveling Goldsmithing but... A friend of mine told me Goldsmithing is high rewarding but is also high risk cause if you don't HQ you don't make money. Now to be fair when my friend had his 100+ GS Abyssea was only just a twinkle in SE's eyes. (if you know what I mean) So I just wanted a fresh take on the craft. Is it very profitable in general or only good at 100+ and if your lucky enough to HQ. I really do wanna level it but my friend definitely has me second guessing myself.
 Lakshmi.Mental
Server: Lakshmi
user: mental
By Lakshmi.Mental 2012-07-05 03:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Goldsmithing is profitable, while leveling i lost around 7-8 Million so you have to weigh up the investment.

For me, i finished Goldsmithing for completion, so my motavation & mind set we're different to yours.

Mazler there is Gil to be made, looking now theres a simple Syth with a 50k profit margin though one sold per day. ('A')

Overall ive found HQ's can hurt unless moving past previous levels & creating new Tiers for previous Syths.

I'd personally not level Goldsmithing at this stage as an investment, the time vs Gil would be far better invested into Dynamis, VNM items, Salvage & alike.

Though if it's for fun, something you always wanted to achieve then i'd say go for it.

Good luck,

Menty
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kunisama
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kunimitsu
By Carbuncle.Kunisama 2012-07-05 03:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Most profit from crafting comes from HQ like you said, or by coupling your craft with Synergy. I don't have GS main myself but i'm sure things like the flame pearls or pyrosoul rings made via synergy would net some decent profit. Best to go research some of the high level Synergy crafts and GS synths yourself and judge for yourself if it's worth your time/gil to invest in it, because it will be alot of gil!
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-07-05 03:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have goldsmithing 95 and I can't see an honest reason to take it to 100 let alone 110. 91 will allow you to do the synergy synths which is where you make gil. HQ'ing Jupiter/Vulcan earrings is really where it's at. That new Abj set is so bleh that it's not worth it to really try to HQ, imho. Same goes with the ulgol set (or w/e that junk is called). I do minor skill up synths here and there for fun, but there is really no reason to push it higher. It makes me gil through synergy and that's good enough for me.
 Carbuncle.Kunisama
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kunimitsu
By Carbuncle.Kunisama 2012-07-05 04:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Same with alot of crafts right now. The only reason I have taken Woodworking past 100 is in the hopes that someday some new popular recipe that requires those skills will be introduced and I will be ready for it. (But mainly because I hate the uncapped white text messing up my skill page)
[+]