New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » New Job: Geomancer
New Job: Geomancer
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
By Xenshi 2012-06-23 07:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
When a job is completely unfit for a certain event, or an event is impossible to complete without a specific setup, it is not our fault.
Who deems it unfit? Have you tried it with those certain jobs? And by you I mean in general. For a job to be even considered unfit, someone has to say so and that someone is us. With the exception of maybe Neo Nyzul Isle because of what you have to do and the time that you are given, that's the exception. Even still who's to say that it would never work? I for one can attest for seeing somethings done with jobs I never thought possible.
 Lakshmi.Quixote
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Quixote 2012-06-23 07:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

exited that there are putting effort into keeping ffxi going. I suppose it is expected, this will improve the story line of the expansion. Yet I feel like they are still lots of ground to cover on old jobs that have become useless or even repetitive in other jobs.
I feel like each job should be unique and need it per strategy, adding a new job with Ability's that fall into any of the older jobs its pointless we need and want new all around jobs with ability's new to the game. For geomancer it seems to me they will have to incorporate something the game has never had such terrain advantage.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-06-23 08:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
They kept saying Artifact in the JP and English streams, and during the Heroine's Tower segment referred to the characters in Empyrean gear, so guessing it's just plain AF1 they showed off. Question there is if they plan to have it the usual 50-60 variant, or else have it as special 90-99ish style, since we all expect to unlock them with new quests and the AFv1 questlines always give good backstory as to what the jobs are or how they were formed.

The other gear might be up in the air, since it took SE almost two years for SCH / DNC to get Relic, didn't it?

It'll be 50-60. JP love consistency.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-06-23 08:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenshi said: »
When a job is completely unfit for a certain event, or an event is impossible to complete without a specific setup, it is not our fault.
Who deems it unfit? Have you tried it with those certain jobs? And by you I mean in general. For a job to be even considered unfit, someone has to say so and that someone is us. With the exception of maybe Neo Nyzul Isle because of what you have to do and the time that you are given, that's the exception. Even still who's to say that it would never work? I for one can attest for seeing somethings done with jobs I never thought possible.

If I'm going to make a prov pt, I'm certainly not going to make a pt of 7 RDM 11 PLDs(or 18 PUP etc). You can argue that it's still possible to clear with any setup if "you try", but 95% of chance it's only going to waste 17 other pt member's time when it can be done much easier and faster with optimal setup.

You can experiment with cool setup like 18 PUP or 18 BSTs all you want, but there's nothing wrong with using optimal setup and not waste everyone's time.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-23 08:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really interested to know if this could be any good as a subjob.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2012-06-23 08:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Cathaldus said: »
lol, there goes another nail in RDM's coffin.
Idk about that I know a while back there was a mention about them prolly trying to move rdm to the Front Line.
By Xenshi 2012-06-23 08:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

If I'm going to make a prov pt, I'm certainly not going to make a pt of 7 RDM 11 PLDs(or 18 PUP etc). You can argue that it's still possible to clear with any setup if "you try", but 95% of chance it's only going to waste 17 other pt member's time when it can be done much easier and faster with optimal setup.

You can experiment with cool setup like 18 PUP or 18 BSTs all you want, but there's nothing wrong with using optimal setup and not waste everyone's time.
Never said there was anything wrong with using an optimal set up, but to say a job is useless and it can't be done isn't their fault and isn't true.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-06-23 08:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenshi is right in general. It's the players that deem jobs unfit or "gimp"-- That's only because people will always seek out the most efficient way of getting things done.

In the current atmosphere of the game, RDM simply isn't a needed job right now. What people forget is how quickly the dynamics of endgame can change at the drop of the hat, placing RDM back near the top and making another job(s) take the shitter for a while.
[+]
 Fairy.Guebotermico
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Guebotermico 2012-06-23 08:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

i realy hope its berserker DD for the win
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-06-23 10:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

Never said there was anything wrong with using an optimal set up, but to say a job is useless and it can't be done isn't their fault and isn't true.

The quote you reply said "When a job is completely unfit for a certain event, or an event is impossible to complete without a specific setup, it is not our fault."

There's nothing wrong with that statement.
It is a fact that certain setup is near impossible to complete an event.....you don't see ppl enter Legion or Prov with 18 RDMs, some setup just, near impossible to complete the task. I said near impossible because I don't want to rule out the possibility, but so far I haven't seen ppl clear Legion/prov with 18 RDM or 18 RNG or something.

Not every setup can clear everything, it's a fact, and there really isn't wrong to force yourself to use specific setup for it.

Whether a job is "useless" or not also depend on how you define it. For many ppl, as long as the job is replaceable and not optimal for it, then it's unfit. The original quote used the word "unfit", which means it's not optimal, idk why ppl always like to exaggerate it into "useless".

Personally I think it's nobody's fault that playerbase using specific setup. Player will always find most efficient way to do stuff, and job/class balance is very tough to adjust in a MMO....not just this game, but many other MMO too. Can't really blame SE to balance the job when there are 20 jobs(more inc)
 Bismarck.Tiarnia
Server: Bismarck
user: tiarnia
By Bismarck.Tiarnia 2012-06-23 10:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

regarding the geomancer this is a sphere ability job all there doing is adding a way to change your sphere effect and cast sphere areas of effect for spells you would have to stand next to the geomancer to get the effect or stand in the circle where the ability is cast its not like RDM at all and like COR i bet there is a limit to the number you can have out at a time
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-06-23 10:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

No one wants to waste their time with jobs are clearly not designed for endgame activities like PUP or BST. You can try to jam a square peg into a round hole all day but what does it matter when you can use more efficient setups and get the job done that much faster? There is no reward for making things more difficult so it is best

It's clear PUP and BST weren't designed for Voidwatch-style play where you sit under Fanatic's Drinks because the pets don't benefit and pet damage is pathetic.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-06-23 11:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

hoping the next job annouced isn't dumb, and dumb-looking.

Meh, hopefully'll make a decent subjob, perhaps.
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2012-06-23 11:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
No one wants to waste their time with jobs are clearly not designed for endgame activities like PUP or BST. You can try to jam a square peg into a round hole all day but what does it matter when you can use more efficient setups and get the job done that much faster? There is no reward for making things more difficult so it is best It's clear PUP and BST weren't designed for Voidwatch-style play where you sit under Fanatic's Drinks because the pets don't benefit and pet damage is pathetic.
^ The common NA way of thinking.. Sadly I watch my JP friend pull off stuff like this so regularly it isnt even funny.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-06-23 11:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Syagin said: »
^ The common NA way of thinking.. Sadly I watch my JP friend pull off stuff like this so regularly it isnt even funny.

Lol, JPs use specific setup for everything even more so than NAs from what I've seen. They even put their VW setup in seacom when they /shout. Never seen them invite BST or PUP etc(I actually seen more NA inviting BST to VW than JPs), and they only look for DRK and SCH for NIv2 in /shout, called DRK x4+2x SCH setup "iron plate setup" for NIv2.

It isn't "NA way of thinking",this way of thinking is universal.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-06-23 12:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Personally, I feel Galka fits it best, with Mithra being a close second.

Coming back a bit late to this, but yes, I can see galka actually fitting the scenario to Geomancer quite well, as their race was native to the geological harshness of the Altepa Desert, and having their homeland invaded by Antica and ultimately sunken in the sand, I can't help but find galkas to fit the scenario of GEO quite well, as they seem to be attuned to their environment quite well. Not to mention many of which were miners.

A runner up I suppose would be tarus, whose magical affinity had much to do with the location and atmosphere of their chosen residence. If it weren't for the magical saturated lands of Sarutabaruta, the tarus would have remained a magicless and a nomadic race of tribes and refugees.
[+]
 Cerberus.Elistriell
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Elistriell 2012-06-23 12:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said: »
Titan.Elevan said: »
lol @ da fact of having to wear a mushroom.

This is actually funny, because it's based on this kind of japanese hat

Thank you SE for the /displayhead command... lol
By Chrisstreb 2012-06-23 12:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

My curiosity is how will we obtain Relic, Artifact, and Empyrean Armor for these new jobs, I know Artifact will likely be crafted from the new Expansion Materials, but what about Empyrean/Relic?
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-06-23 13:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Cathaldus said: »
lol, there goes another nail in RDM's coffin.

Geomancer is like Shion. And RDM is like Satoko. And we all know how that ended.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2012-06-23 13:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, I just realized that they could make for some really interesting NM fights by having GEO mobs that you want to position in certain directions to keep them from gaining certain buffs.

Too bad SE has historically been very conservative about adding in mobs with new job types.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-06-23 13:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

would get all *** up with how hate bounces around between DD anyways.
[+]
By Chyula 2012-06-23 13:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is my Dual wield gkt Sam?, -.-
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2012-06-23 13:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Chrisstreb said: »
My curiosity is how will we obtain Relic, Artifact, and Empyrean Armor for these new jobs, I know Artifact will likely be crafted from the new Expansion Materials, but what about Empyrean/Relic?

following that, i wonder what weapons they might be added to in terms of relic mythic and emp. here is a thought, they might add another set of ultimate weapons to complement these jobs and add to other jobs.

the latter seems more common.
By fyreus 2012-06-23 13:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The sad part is that the job will be burned to 99 in 2 days of release so people will have as much knowledge and possibly skill as an abbysea burned blu. This is going to be interesting.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2012-06-23 13:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

fyreus said: »
The sad part is that the job will be burned to 99 in 2 days of release so people will have as much knowledge and possibly skill as an abbysea burned blu. This is going to be interesting.

To be fair, given we already know it's getting burnt to cap in record time since it's an option and players will take it if they desire, we'll probably know quite a bit before it goes live with the expansion due to people playtesting it on the test server for who knows how long in advance. I bet within three months from now we'll probably see them get both the new jobs up, if not sooner somehow, if they already snuck in the new zones on us.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-06-23 13:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »

To be fair, given we already know it's getting burnt to cap in record time since it's an option and players will take it if they desire, we'll probably know quite a bit before it goes live with the expansion due to people playtesting it on the test server for who knows how long in advance. I bet within three months from now we'll probably see them get both the new jobs up, if not sooner somehow, if they already snuck in the new zones on us.
You're assuming they're even putting the jobs on the test server. We don't have a precedent for what they do for a new expansion with the test server available.
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-23 13:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Heaven forbid we're forced to, after already having taken it to 99, take five minutes at most to understand the ins and outs of the job, and then take one whole day to skill up any native magics it may have.

The horror.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2012-06-23 14:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's sadly way too true. People used to burn new jobs to 75 even way back in the day in just a few days. With Abyssea, some hardcore people are probably going to pull an all-nighter and hit 99 within a day.

If the job looks interesting enough for me to play it beyond a support job, I'll probably take it through the gauntlet (and might even do it anyway, just because I strongly oppose leeching). Though I have to say, the artifact equipment for it is already turning me off of the job.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10