VanaFest 2012: Celebrating a Decade of FFXI
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 92
 Odin.Tsuneo
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-24 06:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

For those who missed it or want to rewatch it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kogenta
Server: Ragnarok
user: Kogenta
By Ragnarok.Kogenta 2012-06-24 06:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tsuneo said: »
For those who missed it or want to rewatch it.

Thanks a lot, this is what i was looking for.

Did they mention if the merchandise will be avaible in online stores?
Artbook ;_;
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-24 06:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't heard anything about merchandise.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-24 06:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

*** YES. Favorited, downloaded, epic.
 Ragnarok.Kogenta
user: Kogenta
By Ragnarok.Kogenta 2012-06-24 06:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

http://andriasang.com/con1mt/ffxi_profits/

iRofl
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-24 07:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder how much of that time he stated is from RMT, bots, AFKers, Bazaars and all that... I'd say that number needs to be cut down alot.
 Odin.Gorby
user: gorby
By Odin.Gorby 2012-06-24 07:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Richybear said: »
Odin.Gorby said: »
Seriously! "wivern"? WTF? They were BOTH doing it. Hello! It's pronounced "WHY-vern".

Maybe if Ernest P Worrell was saying it. Hey Vern! Why Vern? etc

Ugh! You must be kidding. If not, see for yourself. I don't give a rip about Ernest P Worell, but I do care what Mr. Webster says: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wyvern. Click the little audio icon.
Or, if you prefer: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wyvern?s=t
[+]
 Bismarck.Apathy
Server: Bismarck
user: ApathyMNK
By Bismarck.Apathy 2012-06-24 07:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said: »
Old EXP served its purpose, letting you get used to playing jobs and learning its traits as they came along, instead of 99 then try to learn.

Exactly. This and what Artemicion said. Unless you (generally speaking) want us to believe you're one of, apparently, hundreds of prodigies. Such that you gain a thorough understanding of all a job's traits, hate aspects and abilities as they relate to all the other jobs, from playing it twice at 99, saying that all the extra familiarization and practice didn't make a big difference, is just not a believable conclusion at all. Regardless of your skill. And the lack of practice isn't helping the new ones at all.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-24 07:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Either experience traits one at a time, or all together at the end of leveling, it doesn't change anything. If you enjoy grinding or the "surprise" or discovering them bit by bit slowly, I'm happy for you, but that is beyond the point. Understanding mechanics takes 4 minutes at best, putting them into practice 1 hour at best(if you're scrupulous).
 Bismarck.Cicada
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Cicada 2012-06-24 07:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say if the old parties made you better at your jobs or if they were useless or what.. but I do miss getting to know people over the hours spent grinding and making friendships. Abyssea for me is either people who don't talk, talk too much about nothing, JP, or people bragging about their damage. Maybe Aby saved the game, maybe it killed it.. I just miss the old days. :(
[+]
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-24 07:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

For the most part once you hit 40-50 you should know how to play the job competently (cause hey.... you wouldn't have got that car if you sucked right?) I honestly still think they should put a cap on when you can enter abyssea, always have thought that (although I am guilty of burning up a few jobs :x)

but that's really not for this thread discussion so I'll leave that for another thread if it pops up.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-06-24 07:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.finalfantasy.net/xiv/hiromichi-tanaka-leaving-square-enix/
 Bismarck.Cicada
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Cicada 2012-06-24 07:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

He'll be back.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-24 07:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow... well at least he's doing it for health concerns.

Thank god though... but hopefully we won't get someone worse.
 Fenrir.Camiie
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2012-06-24 07:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Novadragon said: »
Grind to 75 made alot of people better at their jobs, know how to gear and properly play it. But these days alot seriously suck lol. Majority of mages are just terrible. The blms were much more smarter with the learn to play groove. But these blms can't even stun something so damn hard to miss.

If the grind to 75 made people better at their jobs, then how do you explain all the absolutely terrible players who emerged from said grind? I don't claim to be anything special, but my god there were tons and tons of idiots back then and even more who, while competent, still didn't even come close to playing jobs to their fullest.

I remember WHMs who never hasted even with a DNC around beating them to every cure. BLMs who couldn't manage hate to save their life. NUKE NUKE SPLAT! People who didn't have the sense to not run away from everyone else when they got hate. PLDs who couldn't hold hate and NINs who couldn't keep up with their shadows. Yeah boy we had nothing but finely-tuned gaming pros back then.
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-24 07:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know he was leaving Square Enix completely.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-24 07:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't make sense for him to be just going to another development project if he's leaving due to health concerns
 Odin.Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-24 07:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess that makes sense.
By Latifah 2012-06-24 07:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Novadragon said: »
Asura.Kowen said: »
Odin.Tsuneo said: »
Like I said, the death of traditional exp party really had no negative effect on the game.

Agreed. People act like the boring grind to 75 was what made XI a great game, and then Abyssea took it away.

Grind to 75 made alot of people better at their jobs, know how to gear and properly play it. But these days alot seriously suck lol. Majority of mages are just terrible. The blms were much more smarter with the learn to play groove. But these blms can't even stun something so damn hard to miss.

Just because you can reach max lvl in 1 day doesn't mean = no skill.
It was the same back on lvl 75, i played with several terrible plds and whms, rdms that could not refresh rotation properly. Blms that used to over nuke like crazy and rdms used to melee on exp pts..

Trends like.. Ninjas and plds wearing chr earrings for provoke, and smn wearing full mp gear, because back on those days there was no wiki to get educated

I will miss those days that i used to wait 1 or 2 years for a dalmy or haub/ limbus items.. NOT!
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2012-06-24 08:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

People who think that exp PTs made people better at the game are completely delusional, the majority of players have always been and will always be terrible.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Zubis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zubis
By Quetzalcoatl.Zubis 2012-06-24 09:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Akihiko Matsui is replacing him - one of the directors of Chrono Trigger and of course, the director of the Abyssea expansions.

Given that Abyssea was what brought me back to the game after a two year absence I'm absolutely delighted with this.

All the best to Tanaka - I know many people hated some of his ideas, but he brought a lot to SE and I hope he gets better soon.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Joeywheeler
Server: Carbuncle
user: Novax
By Carbuncle.Joeywheeler 2012-06-24 09:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Apathy said: »
Remora.Brain said: »
Old EXP served its purpose, letting you get used to playing jobs and learning its traits as they came along, instead of 99 then try to learn.

Exactly. This and what Artemicion said. Unless you (generally speaking) want us to believe you're one of, apparently, hundreds of prodigies. Such that you gain a thorough understanding of all a job's traits, hate aspects and abilities as they relate to all the other jobs, from playing it twice at 99, saying that all the extra familiarization and practice didn't make a big difference, is just not a believable conclusion at all. Regardless of your skill. And the lack of practice isn't helping the new ones at all.

People actually studied up on the job, it's honestly not rocket science learning an XI job.
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2012-06-24 09:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Nodem said: »
Wow... That was the most reaction from them. Them clapping that it was over.

the other day i was on youtube and i got to this video of this japanese girl singing in a really soft voice.

in the description or one of the top comments, it said that the crowd is so quiet out of the respect for the artist. i think that might be the thing over there just to be quiet and enjoy the show, perhaps.

edit: ***i was beaten. if only i had finished reading that page.

Ramuh.Laffter said: »
Japanese people are basically taught to sit still out of respect for artists and whatnot, Americans and basically everyone else like to be rowdy out of respect and/or enjoyment.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2012-06-24 11:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a modicum of experience and timing needed that you need for some jobs, and while you could read it up and do it, doing your job well for hours on end makes these little things almost machine like in execution.

I'm not saying you need to level every job 1-99, many overlap in simplicity (WAR MNK SAM DRG), but some actually benefited greatly from going to different camps and fighting different mobs, or just sitting there and repeating the actions until they become machine-like in execution.

WHM for example. You take an average WHM that cares about his job, and let him EXP at various camps and such, then compare him to a clone that Abyssea burned and practiced a little bit, then through them both into a new Odin fight. 99.99999999999% of the time, the guy who for hours on end sat there working on learning tp attacks, -na spell speed, erase, and Haste cycles will outperform the abyssea burned WHM that had the exact same base.

I'm not saying old exp meant players weren't bad, but it certainly made it harder for shitty players to level up and get stuff, which is how ANY game should be. What fun is a game that rewards you for being too shitty to succeed? Would you play an offline RPG that let you proceed past battles you lost without requiring you to attempt a win? *** no you wouldn't. Well believe it or not, this game is actually an RPG, and you shouldn't tolerate half the ***Abyssea let people get away with.

Tl;Dr: Old EXP acted as a filter that kept most of the shitty players filtered from the decent for the most part. It was like Sea access, where Abyssea is like Sky access these days.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Weeks
user: weeks
By Ragnarok.Weeks 2012-06-24 11:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Most old-school WHMs are absolutely terrible at the job, actually. They are so hung up on the days where they had 5 people to keep alive that they ignore WHM's capabilities and fall apart even in harder Voidwatch fights, much less Odin.
[+]
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2012-06-24 12:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

A bad WHM is a bad WHM regardless. I'm talking about acceptable players made a bit better because they were forced to perform essential actions until they became unconscious, not shitty old WHMs vs shittier new WHMs.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-06-24 16:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Can everybody who's wasting space in this topic pretending that level grinding was a reasonable method of learning your job please shut the *** up? Leveling was always a massive waste of time in FFXI, albeit a profitable one from SE's perspective, since it was an entirely different experience from endgame and there was almost no midgame. If anything picking the job up at level cap instead of grinding it is potentially beneficial because you don't have to un-learn anything. I don't even know why I'm typing this out, Yugl said enough.

Recap on Vanafest: Tanaka's leaving, new 2hrs are coming... eventually, two new jobs for which we have very little information, a PvP system that might actually be worth playing, Farmville: FFXI Edition, and a new expansion due at some unknown time next year. Did I miss anything significant? I didn't watch the feed and I only glanced through this thread due to the sheer length.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-24 16:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Recap on day 1 and day 2 for anyone who missed it:

Special Talk Session: Day 1
Director Mizuki Ito, Associate Director Yoji Fujito, and planners Yoshitsugu Saito and Masaru Taniguchi were on hand to discuss the new expansion currently under development, as well as future planned job adjustments during two special talk sessions.
* All content announced is still under development and subject to change.

A new expansion, entitled Seekers of Adoulin, was revealed to be under development!

Westward Ho, Adventurers!
The action will unfold on Ulbuka, an enigmatic continent located far to the west of the Middle Lands.
- To protect each other's interests and defend against the evil forces that assault them, the mainland and its surrounding islands have banded together to form the Sacred City of Adoulin Alliance.

Click images to enlarge

INEI Inc. Kenichiro Tomiyasu

Reclaim the Land!
The majority of Ulbuka's lands consist of vast wilderness, which ambitious adventurers from around the world have come to explore.
New light shines on the continent's history with each tree felled, each outpost built, and each secret spot uncovered. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for danger however, for who knows when you may accidentally stumble upon a monster's lair! With so many treasures veiled behind exotic landscapes, harrowing skirmishes waiting around every corner, and quests begging to be undertaken, it's not just Ulbuka that will be evolving, but those who explore it as well!

Guilds, Guilds, Guilds!
A number of adventurers' guilds thrive in Adoulin, lending support to players in their quest to settle the land and expand their influence.

New Job: Geomancer!
Harnessing the elemental energies that course through Vana'diel's veins in ways that no sorcerer can, geomancers both aid their comrades-in-arms and teach their foes how deadly the forces of nature can be.

- By creating extensive fields of beneficial energy around themselves for their allies to enter, they support the whole party.
- The ability to place luopans (temporary name) where their brethren stand helps impart various beneficial effects upon them.
- Their job trait Polarity (temporary name) allows geomancers to receive different bonuses to their elemental magic spells depending on the direction they face when casting.
- Geomancers employ a new style of elemental magic that affects areas surrounding their comrades and is greatly enhanced by Polarity.

In case you were unable to attend VanaFest, you can view the Seekers of Adoulin trailer on the official expansion site.

Special Talk Session: Day 2

Director Mizuki Ito, Associate Director Yoji Fujito, and planners Yoshitsugu Saito and Masaru Taniguchi were on hand to discuss the new expansion currently under development, as well as future planned job adjustments during two special talk sessions.
* All content announced is still under development and subject to change.

Instance Dungeons
Those seekers who are able to reconstruct statues from assorted fragments scattered throughout the Ulbukan wilds may just find that they affect the fearsomeness of their foes, the size of the environs, the amount of reapable rewards and other aspects of these perilous dungeons.

Back at the Ranch
Each adventurer will have their own plot of land on which to fish, grow crops, mine for minerals, raise and shear sheep, and indulge in other pastoral pursuits after a hard day of fighting fiends in primeval forests.

New Job: Rune Fencer!
Quick with a blade as well as an incantation, these versatile duelists employ the power of arcane runes to sway the tide of battle both offensively and defensively.

- Their exceptional magic defense and elemental resistance put them squarely in the tank category, along with paladins and ninjas.
- Two broad categories round out their runic arsenal:
- Element-based runes add elemental damage to attacks and increase resistance to certain elements.
- Enchantment-based runes increase either the fencer's attacking prowess or their ability to defend.
- Rune fencers will possess versatile abilities like one that cuts the duration of the next enhancing magic spell cast on them by half, but in turn amplifies the spell's effect 1.5 times, and another that erects a barrier that reduces magic damage.

Job Adjustments
Various job adjustments scheduled to be implemented in 2012 were also announced.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-06-24 16:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there an English subbed video of the Vanafest somewhere on youtube? I'd like to understand what else they said, beside yes, thank you and /bow

<3 kali
By tinybee 2012-06-24 16:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The female Rune Fencer armor isn't very flattering. :( Just looks like they pasted a female head on a smaller male body.
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 92