Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-06-23 01:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Shokox said: »
Artemicion said: »
Sylph.Kimble said: »
Couldn't they have just given geomancer stuff to RDM and not bother with adding a new job while making another job better and useful again?

Patience man, lol. Like I was saying before jobs were even announced, SE won't have the intent to completely destroy a job like that. This was the same way SCH was when it was released too.

I hope you're right. Good things come to those who wait, but I have a feeling with RDM it's going to be a case of too little, too late. The demograph will eventually evaporate to nothing but RDM enthusiasts/devotees.

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Couldn't they have just given geomancer stuff to RDM and not bother with adding a new job while making another job better and useful again?

Patience man, lol. Like I was saying before jobs were even announced, SE won't have the intent to completely destroy a job like that. This was the same way SCH was when it was released too.

RDM has been dead for 2+ years now so yeah.

SCH took a little while to get right and was at first only really great for a sub job.

RDM was fine till abyssea came along and made refresh pretty useless.

One of the best fixes they could have done for RDM was make enfeebling actually possible on harder content. Even now that might not be enough anymore.

To be honest, we are playing a much different FFXI than before/during abyssea times-- for one, players have a much larger say and connection to the devs via community reps. People will shout loud enough for RDM changes if it finally flatlines.

I'm not a fan of RDM at all, but I have a feeling the dynamic of the job will change to that of a main enfeebler now. Especially if we are moving beyond all of these HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE trigger systems that cockblock the need for enfeebles at all (thank god, hopefully). I wouldn't be surprised if the devs allowed for accession to be passed onto Refresh II now either-- seems they really don't want any mage/support to worry about refresh cycles anymore.

People have been yelling loudly for years on many different changes for jobs (SMN being one of the biggest)

The development team seemed to listen during abyssea, but have taken a step back since then.
By Artemicion 2012-06-23 01:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

From the sound of it, they took a problem that heavily relied on a singular job to create a solution (refresh), and eliminated it by propositioning an entire medium of content where it eliminated that singular demand, and with it, everything the job stood for. Now if the devs are smart enough to still incorporate function within a similar medium without creating dependency or elimination of purpose, then everyone can be happy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2012-06-23 01:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So, anyone record that 8bit FFXI thing? I'm interested in seeing it.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-23 01:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Japanese stream is back up, music time!

Kumi Tanioka is the artist
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-06-23 02:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Was really hoping Matsuko would show up to cosplay as Botulus Rex :(
By Artemicion 2012-06-23 02:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Japanese stream is back up, music time!

Kumi Tanioka is the artist

I'm actually feeling giddy. I can't help but absolutely swoon over live FF music. It's like a new found passion/hobby.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-23 02:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the piano, so much...
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2012-06-23 02:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

From the sound of it, they took a problem that heavily relied on a singular job to create a solution (refresh), and eliminated it by propositioning an entire medium of content where it eliminated that singular demand, and with it, everything the job stood for. Now if the devs are smart enough to still incorporate function within a similar medium without creating dependency or elimination of purpose, then everyone can be happy.

What bugs me about RDMs complaining is this:

Quote:
Pre-cap raise: "Aw man, all people want is Refresh and Cures! I can't do all the other stuff I'm good at!"

After cap raise: "Aw man, all people want is a SCH or WHM! I don't have any other stuff I'm good at!"

Not that it is their fault but when you hear the first one for years straight you can't help but feel a little bit of satisfaction.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-06-23 02:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH took a little while to get right and was at first only really great for a sub job.

SCH started off as a brilliant sub and a less than stellar main. After they added more spells with Addendum B/W, the job became passable and though some circles adopted the idea that a well-greased SCH could outdo BLMs the job never really took off and remained in flux as "not WHM/BLM/RDM" for a good while.

Abyssea happened and SCH went right to the recycle bin that most of the not-proccing jobs did. Only with Embrava/Kaustra and Cure potency fixes did we see an uptick in SCH popularity and even with those fixes the class is riding nigh entirely on its 2hr when put besides BLM and WHM which have benefit greatly from their improvements since Abyssea.

Quote:
RDM was fine till abyssea came along and made refresh pretty useless.

RDM had already been on the skids as the job veered away from SEs vision and towards a solo class that was doing things not originally intended. The nerfs to enfeebles, destruction of tank tools (hate from spells) and subsequent existence of SCH boxed RDM into a place where it simply lacked the room to grow. BLU/DNC took away avenues of progression on the melee front, SE openly eliminated the tank front, SCH encroaches on the mage front and now GEO has eliminated the support front.

By the time Abyssea rolled out and wiped out refresh, the damage to the class had already been done but RDM has been subject to nothing less than a slow crawl to oblivion since the original height of the job back when it rivaled PLD as a tank, enfeebles meant a ***and Avesta was the RDM messiah.

It will be interesting to see how GEO exists besides COR and BRD as this class relies on totems that are subject to being AOE'd which is extremely common in today's endgame. If the class cannot maintain buffs because the totems keep getting blown up by AOEs and the class cannot do anything to prevent a loss of buffs, the job could get itself into trouble akin to BST and PUP in endgame events.

Hopefully these totems have a wide cone that can be increased or decreased and tools are available to either make putting up totems quick and painless or sturdy enough to soak some damage.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-06-23 02:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe no one knows how to play RDM correctly...
 Valefor.Angeluzun
Server: Valefor
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2012-06-23 02:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

i think it was more the call for time restrictions that did rdm in. After that what was it, 72hr Pandy Warden? They didnt see a way to make mobs stronger without the need of temp items. and they made temps replenishable to boot so no need for refresh or rdm
By Artemicion 2012-06-23 02:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Maybe no one knows how to play RDM correctly...

Incoming Keanu reeves meme.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-23 02:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The Community Team gathered a lot of the cosplayers at the booth for a huge group picture! Elmer took the photo!

[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-06-23 02:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

rdm is still relevant in the fact that VW no longer locks your merits into having all spells for procs. Now you can para2 slow2 5/5 again or dia 3 if you so choose and use it outside of VW/aby. New content will see a ton of strong mobs and I'm thinking a good para/slow build will be extremely useful.
[+]
 Sylph.Nephriel
user: Nephriel
By Sylph.Nephriel 2012-06-23 02:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man I love Ronfaure <3 always one of my favorite zones and songs.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-06-23 02:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

See, last time I said SCH only had its 2hr to really rely on, I got yelled at and was told SCH was great when it came out, lol.

and yeah, RDM was a great tank when it had hate tools. RDM just slowly and surly got things nerfed so bad to where its at now. Used to be one of the most powerful then got turned to nothing.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-23 02:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
rdm is still relevant in the fact that VW no longer locks your merits into having all spells for procs. Now you can para2 slow2 5/5 again or dia 3 if you so choose and use it outside of VW/aby. New content will see a ton of strong mobs and I'm thinking a good para/slow build will be extremely useful.

Which is why they gave GEO para and slow.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-06-23 02:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

People have been yelling loudly for years on many different changes for jobs (SMN being one of the biggest)

The development team seemed to listen during abyssea, but have taken a step back since then.

Abyssea was just mindless catering to the general public, as good for what it as worth, despite making the game easy mode for a while.

While it looks like they don't listen, they've actually incorporated a good deal of things that players have asked for from every region. They skip out on certain things because of "balancing" problems it always seems.

SMN is just a hard job to work with over all-- they can't have gigantic summons due to server load problems, so they always try to get medium/small sized avatars (which is why Odin/Alex are insta summon -> release like previous FFs).
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-06-23 02:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

geo para/slow will stack with others... They said all the geo abilities don't count as spell/song/roll, so why would the debuffs be different? Not to mention they aren't going to be the potency of merited spells. come on now.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-23 02:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea gave some jobs a huge boost and destroyed a lot of jobs at the same time. Since then we have seen them rebuild each one of those destroyed jobs in some way, (while bringing the boosted jobs back down to earth) SCH being the prime example with embrava and SMN with perfect defense. We all know this. They scream balance so much and the funny thing is they actually are trying.

The exception is RDM, the minor boosts that they tried to give RDM were pretty much a joke (loltemper) and have done nothing to counter the many nerfs. Its not sought after, its not needed for anything, and its now been kicked again, unbelievably.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-06-23 02:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

See that's the main issue. They have always made HNMS immune or extremely resistant to slow and/or para and other spells. Maybe if they don't make new HNMs, etc like that, RDM will be good again in that set up.

But there are only so many slots to go around, and will have to wait to see if a geomancer would be worth bringing over a BRD, COR etc.
 Odin.Tsuneo
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-23 02:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is in bad shape with or without a new job being added. I think most people are upset with the fact that their job is still broken and a new job is being added because I don't see how geomancer is hurting RDM anyway.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-23 02:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

geo para/slow will stack with others... They said all the geo abilities don't count as spell/song/roll, so why would the debuffs be different? Not to mention they aren't going to be the potency of merited spells. come on now.

If Geo can do the job adequately, why waste a slot. We also know nothing about GEO's merits.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-06-23 02:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If Geo can do the job adequately, why waste a slot. We also know nothing about GEO's merits.

Yeah, if Geo can para and slow, why bring a RDM to stack with them when you could bring another support job to give more haste, attack, etc?
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-06-23 02:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

See that's the main issue. They have always made HNMS immune or extremely resistant to slow and/or para and other spells. Maybe if they don't make new HNMs, etc like that, RDM will be good again in that set up.

Thus GEO/RDM? Perhaps they are attempting to make RDM at least subjob worth or... RDM/GEO... who knows the benefits until we know what traits and abilities are at what lvls.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-23 02:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This piano music... eargasm.
[+]
 Valefor.Angeluzun
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2012-06-23 02:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

if sch dnc were any indication we wont see those till 2015 xD
By Artemicion 2012-06-23 02:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Gigantic Mandragora readies Dream Flower.
Ark Angel M falls asleep!
Puppetmaster falls asleep!
Monk falls asleep!
Blue Mage falls asleep!
Camate falls asleep!
Thief falls asleep!
Bastokan Citizen falls asleep!
Lehko Habhoka falls asleep!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP