New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Dark Souls & other Souls-Likes
Dark Souls & other Souls-Likes
First Page 2 3 ... 138 139 140 ... 224 225 226
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 17:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

On a personal note, I finally had my revenge I've been waiting for since the beta. The one enemy that held me back from finishing the beta the whole time, defeated :3
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 17:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness said: »
Backstab and Parry simply comes with experience. You can't expect to master dark souls and then go into this game thinking you're going to start fresh like you first did then, and you're going to struggle like you did then. Your knowledge carries through from the previous game, you adapt to the changes in the mechanics, and then you're back where you were at.

Also...

Even Dark Souls 1 NG made the game beatable by the average player.

Basically, I play the game how I personally believe it should be played. I don't fish for backstabs, or spam parry, even if I was good enough to do so. I face the enemies head on and respect them, and not crush them with 1 huge swipe unless I'm in a hurry. When I'm in a new area, I'm not in a hurry. I stay around to enjoy the level design, and the monsters.

There are some difficult points in these levels when the rest of it might feel easy. Besides, we all know you can simply just run through the whole level and avoid getting hit if you know the way to go, speed runners can beat dark souls 1, all bosses including DLC, in like 80 minutes now. I just think if you're looking for difficulty, then you should respect your enemy and not overpower them exploiting the finisher mechanics we have access to, or upgrade your weapon to the point where 1 swing kills the normal enemies in the area, 3 for the more difficult.

You'll never gain that sense of accomplishment and success if you're basically walking around as an undead god handing out death to everything that steps in your path.
Server: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
user: Ravant
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2014-03-12 17:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually upgrade my weapon so 2/3 hits kills. Anything less and groups will destroy me since I cant kill them before being overwhelmed. I myself take my time in new areas as well. Also on a fun note.

Day 1 Deaths for Mr Happy
This shouldn't spoil anything for the people who were posting since yesterday as we've done the bosses shown I believe. Some of these are pretty funny.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2014-03-12 17:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-03-12 17:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

oh god he's spreading, why
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 17:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione said: »
Congrats! The next boss in that area is even more difficult :)
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2014-03-12 17:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »

Noooooo.

And also, has anyone gotten/used the
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2014-03-12 17:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Noooooo.

Use it.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 17:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Noooooo.

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2014-03-12 17:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok thanks!
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 17:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kali's Death Log: @119 Deaths Total Souls Lost: ~51,000
[+]
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2014-03-12 17:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruler's Death Log: @ 4 Deaths; Total Souls Lost: 0

:P

My weapon probably kills fodder enemies in 2-3 hits, usually 2. Unless they have a little more armor on, then it's 3.

I take my time and fully explore all areas, checking all kinds of walls for the hidden areas, etc. I'm having fun with it, new story/places and all. I guess I was just expecting a challenge, didn't consider that my experience/mastery from Dark Souls would carry over. Though that should have been glaringly obvious it just didn't occur to me.

Then again, I'm not the type of player who can stand to intentionally gimp myself just to have a pseudo-challenge. So that takes away the aspect of not using upgrades or going for the best stuff. My style/mentality compels me to go for the optimum stuff as soon as I can get it which is counter-intuitive to what I guess I'm wanting.

I should probably just stop looking so hard for the difficulty and just enjoy the new items, mobs, story, places, etc. (Not that I'm not doing this already.)

I also do not see backstabs, etc. as exploiting my enemy. I see it as outsmarting them and having superior fighting ability. Basically they need to get on my level. :P I bet they don't even lift.

Oh and being a God is fun for me. teehee :3

Stopped playing for a bit to eat and stuff so I'm still in the same place as earlier.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 18:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You being a god does not suit well to the game being difficult.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2014-03-12 18:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2014-03-12 18:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I should stop caring about the difficulty and focus on what I really want to do; become that unstoppable force of damnation that destroys anything in my path. Then focus on killing all the unsuspecting players in PvP.

That was my fun in Dark Souls. Getting invaded by people who thought they were hot ***or strong, then I proceed to laugh as they try to kill me and I one shot them.

Josi is the exception. He was/is my training partner that made me focus on the mechanics so heavily.
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2014-03-12 18:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly even with a weapon that 2/3 shots, with 2 enemies attacking you and 1/2 shooting arrows you still take a ton of dmg especially if you're like me and 2hand your weapon most of the time. I don't really parry or backstab much. I think the only time was on
Forum Moderator
By Vyrerus 2014-03-12 18:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Vyre's Death Log:@ 13
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 18:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

NG+ alters the enemy AI slightly, and adds a few more monster placements, but it also just does the usual +50% DMG to you -50% DMG to them and increases/decreases after every +.

You upgrading your weapon for example, is increasing your % dmg to them, lowering the difficulty for you. It increases the difficulty for the monsters to defeat you.

I get trashed on this every time I say it, but I don't know how else to. The upgrade system is in place to help players, it's not necessarily in place to follow the difficulty curve of the current areas you're in. You'll of course need some sort of upgrade, otherwise the later areas will be too tedious for each enemy, even some midgame ones depending on the weapon preference.

I'm not jumping on you for enjoying being powerful, but being powerful and difficulty don't come together very well. One side has to out weigh the other, unless you get it balanced but even then the difficulty setting is "normal".
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2014-03-12 18:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravant Lehnsherr said: »
Honestly even with a weapon that 2/3 shots, with 2 enemies attacking you and 1/2 shooting arrows you still take a ton of dmg especially if you're like me and 2hand your weapon most of the time. I don't really parry or backstab much. I think the only time was on
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2014-03-12 18:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness said: »
Ravant Lehnsherr said: »

:( I ordered the basic edition. I tried to upgrade on release day hoping Gamestop would have extra but they didn't.

Anyone else get kicked out of PSN?
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2014-03-12 19:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Win! I tried to summon people for help but all 5 failed >.> Won anyway thanks to gold/dark resin!
Forum Moderator
By Vyrerus 2014-03-12 19:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Also miffed by this, Vyre's deaths:34.....
Server: Balmung
By Raein Tilgung 2014-03-12 20:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 20:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not struggling to move forward at all. This boss is kicking my butt, very demotivating.

@142 deaths, I'd update my log but the past 33 deaths have been from this single boss.
Forum Moderator
By Vyrerus 2014-03-12 20:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sophie Tilgung said: »
By Raein Tilgung 2014-03-12 20:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

By Raein Tilgung 2014-03-12 20:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not struggling to move forward at all. This boss is kicking my butt, very demotivating.

@142 deaths, I'd update my log but the past 33 deaths have been from this single boss.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-03-12 20:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

By Raein Tilgung 2014-03-12 20:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for spamming, but something I just noticed.
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2014-03-12 21:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for spamming, but something I just noticed.

Ya almost all of my attacks are 2 handed. I 1 hand to shield but when I get an opening to attack I swap to 2 hand and hit then swap back to shield.
First Page 2 3 ... 138 139 140 ... 224 225 226