Forum Moderator
By Vyrerus 2013-11-10 01:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You can actively jump? :O
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-10 04:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

meh :\

Disappointed in myself, really expected more from me after loving DS for so long.
 Phoenix.Lxion
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Lxion
By Phoenix.Lxion 2013-11-11 01:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I understand it is that they pumped up the difficulty for this Beta round. It reminded me of learning Dark Souls all over again. A mixture of frustration, determination, and accomplishment for making 10 feet further than last time.

Maybe I chose the wrong class, because the Dual Swordsman cannot take a hit. Agility certainly helped, I think I was sprinting close to a 1.5x what is normal in DKSI.

I am very excited for the full game, now. VERY excited.
 Phoenix.Lxion
By Phoenix.Lxion 2013-11-11 01:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and the fat dudes are a pain. Lol.
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
By Raein Tilgung 2013-11-11 07:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on footage I've seen.. Is it me, or does it feel like the characters actions have no... weight? Feet look like they're skimming over the ground instead of stepping, attacks don't seem to have much bodily force behind them, etc.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-11-11 13:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

well it is beta, so that kind of polish usually isnt done until right before the game ships.
Its coming out in march right? If this was january/february and the animations still had those issues i'd be worried.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-11-11 13:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Valefor.Sapphire said: »
well it is beta, so that kind of polish usually isnt done until right before the game ships.
Its coming out in march right? If this was january/february and the animations still had those issues i'd be worried.

No, in most cases the beta is pretty much the game you'll get on release minus a few bugs.
Well ive worked on games for 15 years, gonna disagree on that one lol. Even moreso these days with games with 150+ people working on them, games are comin in 'pretty hot' (behind schedule and heavy overtime+last minute changes right until the final release build)
Pretty much the norm that art isnt final and polish and on lockdown until like 1 month before shipping.

Most stuff people see at E3 or in beta access is like the one level or section of a game that works/doesnt crash/looks mostly polished. Theres alot of ugly stuff that gets dealt with in the last couple months.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Lxion
By Phoenix.Lxion 2013-11-11 23:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It may look like that, but there is weight to the movements.
 Leviathan.Vindeel
Server: Leviathan
user: vindeel
By Leviathan.Vindeel 2013-11-12 13:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So how was the beta? Do the game looks promising or?
 Phoenix.Lxion
By Phoenix.Lxion 2013-11-12 20:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks very promising to me, the learning curve isn't as steep if you played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls a lot because you are familiar with the controls of the game.

Overall, to me, it feels and plays a lot like Demon's Souls. The areas of the Beta are a lot darker. There are tons of traps, so that's fun as well.

Keep in mind that while it is titled a Beta, it is largely a Network Stress Test for their in house servers, so that they know how the player to player interactions function, as well as the player load that they can support.

Some stuff is subject to change, but judging by this test it looks to be a great game.

Post deleted by User.
By Raein Tilgung 2013-11-14 07:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Started doing this yesterday. Fun but can get frustrating if you run across try-hards.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2013-11-14 08:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »

Disappointed in myself, really expected more from me after loving DS for so long.

Don't be. Wouldn't you be disappointed if it was too easy?

Everyone dies in Dark Souls. The good players are the ones who learn from their mistakes, persevere, and don't give up!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-11-14 09:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
finally picked this up, may start it soon

ps3

Enjoy it Jet. It really is quite stellar. One of the best games I've ever played.
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-14 09:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »

Don't be. Wouldn't you be disappointed if it was too easy?

Everyone dies in Dark Souls. The good players are the ones who learn from their mistakes, persevere, and don't give up!
I knowwww but I really wanted to beat the 2nd boss before beta ended lol

Sophie Tilgung said: »
Based on footage I've seen.. Is it me, or does it feel like the characters actions have no... weight? Feet look like they're skimming over the ground instead of stepping, attacks don't seem to have much bodily force behind them, etc.
Yea, I also was looking at the feet to see if they walked properly, and it was sliding.

The game isn't polished yet, you have buffs still showing after the UI hides for example. Now, weight with weapons? I used a normal sword and a great sword, and I found both to be well done. Maybe some weapons aren't polished enough, but I didn't get to use them.

I wouldn't be too worried about fine details unless it's lore based, anything like walking animations can be fixed.

I will say that when I did summon someone, enemies didn't follow you correctly... or something. That needs fixed. My partner died quite easily though, so that might have been server lag. Plus, we can't heal our summons anymore, so they have to take a moment to heal themselves or die trying, which I think is much better than us spamming estus on them while they rage on the enemies / boss. Also, if you don't contribute to the damage enough they get sent home. You can't be carried through the game, you have to contribute or you get stuck and most likely die because you can't get that far yourself anyways.

Overall beta was great, but that might be because I purposely kept myself from playing any souls games so I would have a more difficult time when DS2 came out, and I wasn't disappointed with my disappointment of not doing better. That's exactly what I wanted to make myself feel when picking up the game again. I didn't want to breeze through Dark Souls II and think it was too easy. I'm a lil sad I didn't complete the beta to the end but I had a lot of fun and a lot of rage trying, so I was happy with it.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-15 00:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna play more Dark Souls II ._.
By Raein Tilgung 2013-11-18 15:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

By Zecilus 2013-11-29 01:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a heads up. Steam is doing it's annual Black Friday sale and currently Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is having a 10 hour flash sale for 5.99 USD. 80% off the current purchasing price.
By Raein Tilgung 2013-11-30 06:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-30 23:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

THIS GAME WILL BREAK YOUR SANITY! - Dark Souls - Part 5

5:57 - 7:05....7:30, the feeling of dark souls :o

btw, if you enjoy watching playthroughs pewdiepe is starting his playthrough up right now, a few episodes when he can get them out (every few days). I enjoy watching his stuff, and he really enjoys the game, just FYI.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2013-11-30 23:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

pewdiepie

Get out :|
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-30 23:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't be hatin, pewdie is great \o/
[+]
By Raein Tilgung 2013-11-30 23:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally dislike his content, but he gets Dark Souls. So that's cool.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2013-12-06 01:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Stuck at work and I no has controller.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Abysswalker