The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 252 253 254 ... 449 450 451
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-01-21 22:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically anything. NQ Tanmogayi is a very bad offhand.
By Colossusx 2016-01-21 22:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Basically anything. NQ Tanmogayi is a very bad offhand.
atm have D15 acc10 att2 DA3 but still rerolling
 Asura.Sabishii
Server: Asura
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2016-01-23 23:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally got my colada. Spent a lot of taupe stones, managed to get DMG+3 DEX+15 ACC+19 ATK+14, already better than my nibiru blade. Just couldn't get a lot of damage, with the DEX, ATK, ACC, and another stat though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Diablosword
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Diablosword 2016-01-24 13:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is better: Iris/Niburu or double Niburus?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-01-24 13:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The latter, unless Iris's hybrid nature is providing some useful utility.
 Bismarck.Diablosword
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Diablosword 2016-01-24 13:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering because Iris has a much higher damage
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2016-01-25 01:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Heavy Metal Plates: 1361/1500
Riftcinders: 30/60

I think it's time to move over to Morta full time, and hopefully finish up plates and cinders at about the same time.

I have a feeling that the update is gonna require more plate farming to upgrade this weapon beyond 119. /slashwrist
By lhova 2016-01-25 17:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kaht said: »
Ragnarok.Tdizzle said: »
Wow, that's impressive. What have you been doing mostly? I haven't done VW in years way before ilevel was introduced.

How tough is it now? Can it be solo'd with trusts? I was put off doing Almace simply due to all the plates and cinders, well that and I'm poor currently because I spend most of my time working on gearing up and wrapping up spell completion (both are pretty close to being done, minus better swords than dual vamps I'm currently using)

Mostly Aello, but splashing in Qilin, Uptala, Morta, and Kaggen to change the scenery and keep me sane. It can be very disheartening going 80+ kills w/o seeing a pouch, but twice I've gotten 3 pouches in 4 kills - so it just all kinda averages out.

I made it a goal to farm 10 pouches a day. If you figure 9 plates per pouch, it'll take 166.6 pouches to finish the 95 trial (a little over 2 weeks). There were musings a couple pages back that Kaggen was the faster route, but the math doesn't add up for that claim.

Difficulty of the mobs is not an issue. It's all 99 content that can easily be solo'd, and I typically pop 2 displacers per NM just to speed things along. They drop like rocks if you use 5 displacers, but they die fast enough with 2 and you can save that extra money to buy plates/cinders.

Hmm so do you think Aello has better drop rare on hmp vs qilin? Debating on putting time into farming hmps now. Kaggen takes forever and it's potentially 2000 kills.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-01-25 18:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The pouch droprates are the same for all three.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-01-25 18:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Less run time to get to Aello, so she's the preferable target so long as her mechanics/TP moves don't slow you down. Otherwise you might as well make the hike to Qilin.
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2016-01-25 22:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

lhova said: »
Hmm so do you think Aello has better drop rare on hmp vs qilin? Debating on putting time into farming hmps now. Kaggen takes forever and it's potentially 2000 kills.

The droprate is roughly 6% across the board:

http://ffxidb.com/items/5910

Click the "voidwatch chests" tab to see the droprates. Aello is listed slightly higher at 6.3% but also has a much smaller sample size.

Aello is considerably more annoying to kill than Qilin. It's gotten to the point that just about every aspect of her pisses me off (which tells me I've been spamming her too much these last 2 weeks). She spawns with 3 adds that like to scatter like roaches when a lightswitch is turned on, so it makes her obnoxious to target. She has a move that causes amnesia (albeit, rarely) that can last up to 50+ seconds. However, the worst is Shrieking Gale which causes knockback and always seems to dispel haste or attack bonus...

Qilin dies much faster, has no annoying tp moves, takes a lot of damage from light skillchains, but is more annoying to get to. Overall I consider Aello faster just because she's so close to the HP #5 entrance, but after you've killed her 100+ times in a row and your luck with pouches has been poor, everything she does just makes you rage...

Regarding Kaggen, it's nice to see plates drop so often, but his droprate is only 35% per individual plate:

http://ffxidb.com/items/3509

So, per 100 kills against Kaggen you could expect to see roughly 35 plates. Per 100 kills against Aello you could expect 6 pouches, which contain 3-15 plates (avg of 9 per pouch). With 6 pouches at 9 per pouch, you'd expect to see around 54 plates per 100 kills - considerably more than Kaggen.

Just yesterday I cracked 129 pouches (pouches stack to 99, so I didn't crack any till I knew I was close to finishing to save inventory space). In those 129 pouches, I got 1141 plates.

1141 / 129 = 8.84 plates per pouch (very close to the 9 I estimated above)
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-01-25 23:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you consistently proc for drops? Or do you just kill and hope for best?
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-01-25 23:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

There's the VW campaign going on this month for capped lights immediately, so just murder to your heart's content.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-01-25 23:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Now just need a +2 TH for capped th without /thf sub. lol
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-01-26 00:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP Serpentes at long last.
By Draylo 2016-01-26 01:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

How many dark matter have you used so far Stamos?
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-01-26 01:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

lol probably more than a relic's worth in gil
[+]
 Bahamut.Lykinia
Server: Bahamut
user: ducky25
By Bahamut.Lykinia 2016-01-26 10:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Diablosword said: »
I was wondering because Iris has a much higher damage

Iris (Path B)provides a substantial damage boost to physical blue magic while using Chain Affinity along with Hiashi Kavuk +1 and Assim Charuqs and the job points. That was my experience with it. Pretty fun to see 15k-25k Sinker Drills without Azure Lore up. Thrashing can get roided out too with Iris.

Straight CDC spam it wont win but its definitely best for physical spells. Especially 2 of them. Path B only though.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-01-26 10:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaht, have you been using displacers for your VW kills? I'm tempted to join the VW spam bandwagon late in the campaign and I'm tempted to max out displacers for a quick kill but doing that will eventually add up. Generally I'd just like to use enough displacers that I can kill efficiently without the NM getting annoying.
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2016-01-26 20:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Kaht, have you been using displacers for your VW kills? I'm tempted to join the VW spam bandwagon late in the campaign and I'm tempted to max out displacers for a quick kill but doing that will eventually add up. Generally I'd just like to use enough displacers that I can kill efficiently without the NM getting annoying.

Already answered this in ls, but for posterity's sake: I've been using 2 displacers per Aello and 3 per Morta. Strictly for the increase in speed. 5 per NM seems excessively expensive.
 Ragnarok.Bepe
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2016-01-27 22:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hrmm was just looking through the guide for a friend and noticed I don't see any gearsets for what BLU should use when they are doing self buffs/aoe buffs. Its just full blue skill with duration+ gear where available right?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-01-27 23:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of our buffs don't care about skill and/or have fairly low caps. Diamondhide/Metallic Body only need 16 skill from gear (500 total) to cap if you have max merits/JPs and are rarely used anyway; Magic Barrier doesn't seem to have a cap (or I just haven't hit it yet) so you can mix skill and haste/FC/-recast to taste. Occultation is something of a unique case given the wide intervals between tiers; generally you'll shoot for either 500 or 550 depending on your gear/JPs. There's a set within the last few pages that shows how to hit 550 with a good chunk of fast cast and Hashi hands +1. If TP is irrelevant you can add dual path D Iris to break 600. 650 is possible, but requires nearly every piece of skill+ gear available including Renaye Ring (meh). Not terribly practical. That's about it really.

Refresh duration/potency gear is a thing, but I think I've yet to set Battery Charge even once since my return. Can usually rely on Magic Hammer if Tizona's not enough/I'm not meleeing. Phalanx+ gear doesn't affect Barrier Tusk, though it's a nice thing to have if you use Phalanx from /RDM for cleaving or such.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-01-27 23:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

For anything where you can't get extra buff duration (Battery Charge) or more potency (Battery Charge, Magic Barrier, Occultation tiers), you can just throw in the AF3 gloves and/or whatever Conserve MP gear you happen to have (Carmine Greaves, Solemnity Cape, etc) into the remaining slots. Extra Fast Cast can also be good for buffs you may want to cast more often (possibly Occultation).
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-01-28 00:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The formula for Restoral that's in the guide and on BGwiki is incorrect/incomplete. I'll post a revised formula once I've worked it out, but here's an interesting tidbit in the meantime: it uses blue magic skill instead of the usual healing skill.

Magic Fruit hard caps at 610 HP healed before cure potency modifiers or weather/day bonuses (edit: as per the below, Magic Fruit is unaffected by day/weather effects. Plenilune/Restoral function as expected however). That's a maximum 1189 HP self-heal excluding weather, 915 on others. Plenilune uses the same formula and tacks on an extra 100 HP cured, so 710 base cap/1065 on others/1384 self. Restoral appears to cap at 1040 base/2028 self (self-target only).
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-01-28 00:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic Fruit actually isn't affected by weather.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-01-28 00:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd completely forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. Will add that to the guide & BGwiki.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-01-28 00:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Refresh duration/potency gear is a thing, but I think I've yet to set Battery Charge even once since my return. Can usually rely on Magic Hammer if Tizona's not enough/I'm not meleeing. Phalanx+ gear doesn't affect Barrier Tusk, though it's a nice thing to have if you use Phalanx from /RDM for cleaving or such.

I had some mana issues once they added Mighty Guard and resorted to using Battery Charge on long duration fights. Not often but sometimes.
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2016-01-28 00:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »

Now just need a +2 TH for capped th without /thf sub. lol

:OOO gg man ... gg
[+]
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2016-01-28 09:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

1451 plates, 60 riftcinder.

I'm looking forward to finishing plates early this evening, and then going to bed on time for the first time in 2.5 weeks...
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-01-28 09:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Still bitter over Atramentous Libations, if it temporarily boosted max HP, White Wind would be sick. I love seeing 2200+ HP healed with Body Boosts in WoE.
First Page 2 3 ... 252 253 254 ... 449 450 451