New To The Blm Job.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » New to the Blm job.
New to the Blm job.
By baghore 2012-04-22 14:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

used to playing whm all the time, so i was wondering when playing blm is it a must to have all staves? also, if so which staves do you use with what spells?
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-04-22 14:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes..

You use the staff that corresponds to the element.

..Did I just get trolled?
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-04-22 14:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people stick with just Ice and Thunder staffs since those will be the elements you usually cast the most. Ideally you would want all staffs but it will take some time.

Start out buy getting all the HQ staffs first, then make ice and thunder trail staffs, and then get the rest.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2012-04-22 15:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Black mage was my second job to 75. Doesn't sound like much, but when I leveled a job, I didn't take it to 75 unless I could beat Maat on it. One thing about the Maat fights back in 2004-2005, is that they taught a player how to play their job. Hence why the Rdm Maat fight was arguably the hardest BCNM in the game, because leveling Rdm to 70 never did any of that.
Other jobs were different. Everyone learned their jobs as they leveled. Black Mage was no different. If you were a Black Mage, invited to an experience point party, you were expected to Magic Burst. Kicked, in fact, if you couldn't.
In today's ffxi, Blm's go into Abyssea and Voidwatch and free-nuke, without any care whatsoever.Pre-cast, hmp -enmity, mdt, pdt and MB sets were thing of the past. Idle sets in today's ffxi are interpreted as funny cosmetic gear.
Not to minimize the importance of maximizing your nuke damage, there's alot more to being a blm than that. Blm was always meant to be used in a team environment. Working with others. SE's worked recently to restablish that by enforcing the need to Magic Burst in Legion, and with Meteor and Comet.
[+]
 Odin.Warusha
Server: Odin
user: Serithus
By Odin.Warusha 2012-04-22 15:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

@Liltrouble: Meteor can't MB, but I appreciate what you're getting at here.
@OP: I would suggest getting all of your HQ staves and then working on getting thunder, ice, dark ToM staves/obis. A BLM with a weak idle set can still do well if you can aspir 1/2 for 200+ each time. The ultimate resource any aspiring BLM should read is fairly old now, but still relevant in concepts. http://kanican.livejournal.com/tag/black%20mage%20guide%21
I suggest you absorb all the info you can from the BLM and SCH guides listed there. It will give you an idea how to prioritize gearing and some solid play style decision
[+]
 Fenrir.Eneas
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2012-04-22 15:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Warusha said: »
kaeko
^
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-22 17:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
In today's ffxi, Blm's go into Abyssea and Voidwatch and free-nuke, without any care whatsoever.Pre-cast, hmp -enmity, mdt, pdt and MB sets were thing of the past. Idle sets in today's ffxi are interpreted as funny cosmetic gear.
I don't know what kind of blms you play with but I expect my blms to have a pdt, mdt, and idle set at the very least. They are not hard to make and add a ton to the job. Pre-cast seems more intermediate but still easy to make and a lot of blms I know have one.

Not to minimize the importance of maximizing your nuke damage, there's alot more to being a blm than that. Blm was always meant to be used in a team environment. Working with others. SE's worked recently to restablish that by enforcing the need to Magic Burst in Legion, and with Meteor and Comet.
How does one MB with meteor?
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-04-22 17:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Need a non-elemental 13 part skillchain.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-22 17:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing about the Maat fights back in 2004-2005, is that they taught a player how to play their job.
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

Quote:
Hence why the Rdm Maat fight was arguably the hardest BCNM in the game, because leveling Rdm to 70 never did any of that.
To the extent that it taught you how to play any other job, I'd say it did.

Quote:
Other jobs were different. Everyone learned their jobs as they leveled.
Right. WAR was a tank, MNK used One-Inch Punch to skillchain, and BLMs hardly ever had to worry about stun orders or sleep cycles, nevermind layering sleeps. PLDs "tanked" without PDT or shadows and NIN went /WAR. Sure sounds like playing your job at 75 cap to me.

Quote:
Pre-cast, hmp -enmity, mdt, pdt and MB sets were thing of the past. Idle sets in today's ffxi are interpreted as funny cosmetic gear.
The players who lack these things today would have lacked them at 75 cap.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-04-22 18:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM maat was primarily a research check, secondarily a gear check. If you had gear to reliably land your spells, and you knew what you were doing you were fine. If you didn't, you died over and over and over.

RDM maat was hard for me because i spent more time leveling than farming to 70. My gear was meh, i had mostly af, and couldnt afford most staves. so my spells didn't land. had nothing to do with playing a competent party rdm.

It also had very little to do with teaching you how to play a competent solo rdm.