WHM optimal gear at 99
First Page 2 ... 12 13 14
 Fenrir.Yuriki
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-03-16 08:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see too much here about gear sets for 99 so I thought I'd start a thread about it, not only for my knowledge but for others as well.

Would you share your optimal gear sets? Feel free to list all types of sets, i.e. cure potency, precast, enhancing skill, fast cast, refresh, DD, etc... Assume we're talking about life outside of Abyssea.

Thanks for your contributions!
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2012-03-16 08:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if others would consider it optimal, but here's the sets that work for me.

Single Target Cures:

Curaga set:

Idle Set:

I could have 7 MP/tick here but currently my WoTG earring is set to RNG and I have no plans to change it at the moment. 6 MP/tick is good enough.

Barspells:

Boost spells:

Sitting at +23 at the moment missing about 20ish~ levels from the cap.

Hope this helps you.
[+]
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
Server: Cerberus
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-03-19 13:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/10821/olympus-sash
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/11590/colossuss-torque

and i personally like to keep augur hands on for barspell. 3 AF is enough for the set bonus
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-03-19 16:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Maeldiar said: »
and i personally like to keep augur hands on for barspell. 3 AF is enough for the set bonus

Barspells get +1 resistance for 4 skill, so Augur hands only give you +1 resist (+2 if you hit an exact rounding value, which you have a 25% chance of). Orison hands (as 4th out of 5 pieces) give you ~3% additional chance to negate damage entirely. I'd use Orison hands.

My barspell set (close to Wakmidges', but missing cape and earring) already gives me 180 resist with Light Arts active anyway.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2012-03-20 14:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
Boost spells: Sitting at +23 at the moment missing about 20ish~ levels from the cap. Hope this helps you.

Well with Light Arts and 320+ Skill you wont notice any more difference skilling up Enhancing.

If you really want "Optimal" you can also try for Anhur Robe or one of its AH counterparts for 10-12 more skill.
 Siren.Mcclane
Server: Siren
user: mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-03-20 14:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Zenith crown can also get +7(nq) or +8(hq) Enhancing Magic skill if you augment it, which may be an option to get to the +25 boost cap if you do not any any enhancing merits.
 Hades.Tripster
Server: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2012-03-20 15:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my cure set and I consider it close to optimal, if not optimal.

Talking about cure set only, disregarding Fast Cast in precast.

It puts me at 50% cure potency cap, while throwing in a mix of -Emnity and MND, and equipping body for the Stoneskin bonus.

What you could switch from this set would be the strap, the rings (for emnity- rings) and the ammo piece. Not sure about which strap options there is nowadays but I'm sure there's better options, I should look at that.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-03-20 16:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only one who thinks -enmity in cure sets is just a waste? Very rarely on anything has hate been a problem, and when I have pulled hate, the DDs/"tanks" get it back immediately. +MND all the way if you don't need the cure potency.
[+]
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-03-20 16:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

For whm under the current cure system, yes, -enmity is a bit meh. However when the cure formulas change, this will be more of an issue. Cures 3 and 4 will be ~30% (vs Cure V) to 100% (vs Cure VI) more efficient than the low-enmity spells, while curing a useful amount of HP (up to the ~900 range for Cure IV) and having shorter recast times.

That means optimal spell use will start to lean more towards the higher enmity spells, which makes -enmity in gear more valuable. At the same time, mnd becomes far less valuable; you'll want to focus on skill first, instead.
[+]
 Siren.Mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-03-20 20:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but I still think it will be pointless to use -enmity gear even after the change. Nothing lives long enough anymore.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2012-03-20 20:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
Boost spells: Sitting at +23 at the moment missing about 20ish~ levels from the cap. Hope this helps you.

Well with Light Arts and 320+ Skill you wont notice any more difference skilling up Enhancing.

If you really want "Optimal" you can also try for Anhur Robe or one of its AH counterparts for 10-12 more skill.

I trade rubicund cells whenever my LS does Caelano, I do want the body. I wouldn't bother paying for the crafted body though. WHM is just more of a side job I have for LS purposes. Not really my main focus. +23 is good enough for now.
 Phoenix.Lithical
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lithical 2012-03-20 20:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

fast cast!

and this is my dd set, str path club off hand.
[+]
By Tandava 2012-03-22 22:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't believe in optimal, I believe in preference. I prefer this for standard single-target healing:

The only pieces I am dissatisfied with are my orison earring and blessed mitts (want +1). I want a novia earring for my SCH cure set, and I'd probably end up using it on WHM as well if I were to get one. Being 1% short of 50% doesn't bother me, but it would bother some others.

Ideally I'd be using a Tefnut Wand and Genbu's Shield (with +cure potency and -cure casting time) for Abyssea curing, but I have neither pieces to work with.
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-03-22 22:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You believe in being gimp?
[+]
 Siren.Stunx
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2012-03-22 22:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

precast

I'm still being told its cure on the head, w/e the case with rdm sub cures are faster than flash. I would like the trial light damage staff with even more -cast time, but I'm pretty sure this is already overkill. Its has cure pot mixed in in case quick magic procs.

Cure

Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-03-22 22:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Stunx said: »
precast

I'm still being told its cure on the head, w/e the case with rdm sub cures are faster than flash. I would like the trial light damage staff with even more -cast time, but I'm pretty sure this is already overkill. Its had cure pot mixed in in case quick magic procs.

Cure

Eventually you'll cure too fast to swap in midcast..might want to take that into consideration.
 Siren.Stunx
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2012-03-22 22:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I watch the #'s, the swap is fast enough w/o the quick magic proc. and if it does proc, the pot is still decent. my spellcast and these sets have been used for months now, if im not already capped, I would be surprised to get to the point where its too fast lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2012-03-22 23:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Tandava said: »
I don't believe in optimal, I believe in preference. I prefer this for standard single-target healing:

The only pieces I am dissatisfied with are my orison earring and blessed mitts (want +1). I want a novia earring for my SCH cure set, and I'd probably end up using it on WHM as well if I were to get one. Being 1% short of 50% doesn't bother me, but it would bother some others.

Ideally I'd be using a Tefnut Wand and Genbu's Shield (with +cure potency and -cure casting time) for Abyssea curing, but I have neither pieces to work with.

Keep in mind, when you're using Heka's Kalasiris for single target cures, your giving up a 10% boost to your cureskin. Which is actually pretty sizeable.

Cureskin is 35% of your max cure potential. If you cure for 1000 HP, that's 350 damage, without is only 250. You can round up and down from there.

It's kind of ironic since the AF2 legs only work off what your cures actually land for. But is still a decent boost with good MP management.

That cureskin boost is the sole reason I have 2 cure sets, one for -ga's and one for single targets.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2012-03-23 00:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Tandava said: »

Keep in mind, when you're using Heka's Kalasiris for single target cures, your giving up a 10% boost to your cureskin. Which is actually pretty sizeable.

Cureskin is 35% of your max cure potential. If you cure for 1000 HP, that's 350 damage, without is only 250. You can round up and down from there.

It's kind of ironic since the AF2 legs only work off what your cures actually land for. But is still a decent boost with good MP management.

That cureskin boost is the sole reason I have 2 cure sets, one for -ga's and one for single targets.
Fun fact about those pants, if your party is low enough, you can basically curaga 4 for free. Most people don't realize that..
By javelinx 2012-03-23 02:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm no whm, just curious as to why nobody uses the light affinity mag dmg/cure casting time- staff for precast. Other than the obvious pain in the a$$, it seems like that would be optimal for precast...and seeing how many people take 100's of tries to get the best augments on genbu's shield, might it be close to equal for time consumption, if not far better at least for cost efficiency.
 Bahamut.Itze
Server: Bahamut
user: Itze
By Bahamut.Itze 2012-03-23 03:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

javelinx said: »
I'm no whm, just curious as to why nobody uses the light affinity mag dmg/cure casting time- staff for precast. Other than the obvious pain in the a$$, it seems like that would be optimal for precast...and seeing how many people take 100's of tries to get the best augments on genbu's shield, might it be close to equal for time consumption, if not far better at least for cost efficiency.
Besides pain in the *** there is other pieces you can use to cap your casting -
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-23 03:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a point where you're going to make it next to impossible, even with Spellcast, to swap your gear from precast to midcast fast enough before the spell launches. It's easy to reach that point without the staff.
By Achira 2012-03-28 17:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

javelinx said: »

Short answer: not necessary due to more easily obtainable gear, especially for whms who use wands.

Long answer:
I think you said it yourself when you said "I'm no WHM" (and I don't mean that in a mean way). Being a WHM means we have to think about all of these things, and trial and error has shown that when you're switching from a staff/grip to club/shield combo (especially if you're using SC) then it doesn't always switch FAST enough and you're left with an error message telling you that it didn't switch your gear and you already know that because your cure was missing 10% potency at the very least.

If you're a WHM who went the wand route, then you'd want the augmented genbus over the staff- think about if you missed out on the benefits of the Tefnut and Beneficus alone. I mean, my BOOST spells are up around +22-ish or so; a benefit I rather enjoy providing for my party; the beneficus is a big part of making that happen.

So the quick math:
  • gear: -51%

• merits: -20%

• /rdm: -15%

-86%, so you could even take some of this stuff off...
[+]
By javelinx 2012-03-29 01:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Prothescar and Achira for clarifying :)
 Lakshmi.Numot
Server: Lakshmi
user: bladewing
By Lakshmi.Numot 2012-04-02 16:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably repeating but trying to piece this all together, any quality suggestions appreciated:

Cure X:

CuragaX:

BoostX:

BarX:

Obvious upgrades I know of are:
* Phalaina Locket
* Roundel Earring
* Clr. Pantaln. +2
 Fenrir.Aleste
user: Aleste
By Fenrir.Aleste 2012-04-02 16:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still toying around with maximum possible cure sets, and -enm viable ones... though, a quick suggestion is:

WHM/SCH should put you at 184 resist with 30MDB and 8% resist...

edit:// In terms of maximum possible cure.. I'd probably say this set is best:

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-02 18:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It does not break the 50 cap if I remember correctly, it was introduced back when we really only had a few cure potency items so it was an option if you really wanted to use it, was kinda weird to tho.
 Nyo
By Nyo 2012-04-02 18:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure the feather breaks the cap. It's kind've the same as a Korin Obi and how it's not apart of the math, iirc.
First Page 2 ... 12 13 14