Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 827 828 829 ... 843 844 845
By K123 2024-02-17 03:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Guyford said: »
K123 said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
If you have X characters, the one you want to move you update last, you can identify which file is that character, by the date. Can't re-name it, the game knows the numbers matched the character.

Then you can copy paste it over
I have Character A. I need to copy these macros to Character B.
Can I duplicate Char A file, rename it to Char B file name and when I load FFXI both have same macros?

I am not trying to move same to another PC or something like that.

You can just save macros to server, then load them on the other character.
They're two separate FFXI accounts and I want to copy over the entire macro book so my 2 chars have identical macros. Completely rewriting my macro books on 2nd char will take ages and be a pain.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-02-17 08:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

edit a macro on the character you want to receive macros in, change macro books.

go to FFXI/USER/????, use windows search and type in `modified:today' and press enter, find which one was last modified, note the folder name it's in

do the same thing on the character you want to copy macros from

close the instance for the character you want to receive macros in

delete every file starting with mcr from receiving char's folder

copy every file starting with mcr from sending char's folder to receiving char's folder

log back in

if you want to get more specific:
mcr.ttl is macro book 1-20 titles
mcr_2.ttl is macro book 21-40 titles
mcr.dat mcr1.dat .. mcr.9.dat are macro book 1's contents
mcr10.dat mcr11.dat .. mcr19.dat are macro book 2's contents
mcr20.dat mcr21.dat .. mcr29.dat are macro book 3's contents
(one file per set of 20 macros, all the way up to mcr399.dat for book 40 set#10)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-02-17 08:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What happens if you just copy the whole damn file, out of curiosity
(Contents and correctly renamed, of course)
By K123 2024-02-17 08:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
edit a macro on the character you want to receive macros in, change macro books.

go to FFXI/USER/????, use windows search and type in `modified:today' and press enter, find which one was last modified, note the folder name it's in

do the same thing on the character you want to copy macros from

close the instance for the character you want to receive macros in

delete every file starting with mcr from receiving char's folder

copy every file starting with mcr from sending char's folder to receiving char's folder

log back in

if you want to get more specific:
mcr.ttl is macro book 1-20 titles
mcr_2.ttl is macro book 21-40 titles
mcr.dat mcr1.dat .. mcr.9.dat are macro book 1's contents
mcr10.dat mcr11.dat .. mcr19.dat are macro book 2's contents
mcr20.dat mcr21.dat .. mcr29.dat are macro book 3's contents
(one file per set of 20 macros, all the way up to mcr399.dat for book 40 set#10)
Ok great if there are separate macro books even. I want to copy macro books 1+2+3 over. Will try this, thanks.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-02-17 08:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
What happens if you just copy the whole damn file, out of curiosity
(Contents and correctly renamed, of course)

I doubt anything too troublesome happens, but I haven't tried. There are things like client-side inventory sort order and ability/spell sort order in there that might annoy you, but I doubt they'd cause any direct errors because it's always possible to have old character data and it should be designed in a way to be compatible. (Retire an older pc, play char on new pc for years, log in on old pc, it needs to still work.)
By K123 2024-02-17 08:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I can confirm this is legit and works.

If you open the files in notepad they have the macros in too, not clearly laid out but you can see what is what.
By K123 2024-02-21 16:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

What the *** causes:
"Unable to obtain RP. An error has occurred."??

Tried to enter Ongo, 2 people were on same job and it flashed like it took us in but returned us to the lobby. Does this cause it?
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-02-21 17:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this cause it?
Yea, if the server detects anything screwy with the jobs it prevents both RP and wins from being received, presumably because there are weird race conditions where you can actually make it in with 2 of the same job. Guess they decided it was easier to remove the rewards than block the race conditions.
By K123 2024-02-21 17:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Does this cause it?
Yea, if the server detects anything screwy with the jobs it prevents both RP and wins from being received, presumably because there are weird race conditions where you can actually make it in with 2 of the same job. Guess they decided it was easier to remove the rewards than block the race conditions.
I thought that might be the reason too. I wonder if you would get clear if that happened.
 Asura.Excelior
user: Excelior
By Asura.Excelior 2024-02-21 20:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Been back about 3 weeks now after quitting for 14 years. I was told by some people in Ambuscade that pretty much everyone buys gil, and that the only way to ever catch back up in this game is to buy gil.

That's total bull ***isn't it? Surely, everyone who plays isn't RMTing?
By Dodik 2024-02-21 20:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Complete BS, coping and making excuses for their own behaviour.
[+]
 Asura.Excelior
By Asura.Excelior 2024-02-21 20:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's good to hear. This game would be insanely boring if it was just about your wallet.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-21 22:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

making gil in XI is easier than it has ever been unless you botted sparks/blinders in which case sure that was easier I guess. but making gil legitimately has never been easier between ambu and the current prices of basically all crafting mats and currencies
By Beau 2024-02-22 00:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The more accounts you play with the easier it is to make gil.
[+]
By K123 2024-02-22 02:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Excelior said: »
Been back about 3 weeks now after quitting for 14 years. I was told by some people in Ambuscade that pretty much everyone buys gil, and that the only way to ever catch back up in this game is to buy gil.

That's total bull ***isn't it? Surely, everyone who plays isn't RMTing?
Nah, you can bot your own with enough characters.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-22 06:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

During the early years the original excuse western players used to cheat was JP had too much of an advantage so we gotta cheat, so they did and they did so hard that the JP players effectively quit HNM (at least on my server)

Then after they quit the excuse was gone, people said they had to cheat cause the other shells were cheating.

People always make excuses for things they do that are bad.
[+]
By K123 2024-02-22 10:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't cheat until something like 2018 when I realised everyone was cheating everything for years and there's no way to compete (except playing 3x as much or with several more characters) past a point. Basically everyone does buy gil on asura too, but if I needed gil at scale I would make my own before buying (even though paying subs and electric bill is still effectively RMT and it is way less effective than buying).
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2024-02-22 10:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean. Yes. It’s far more prevalent, and easier now. Most of the players I would say have expendable income now, and for many, it’s far easier to work for 2-3 RL hours and pay $50 for 100M Gil, vs self farming it.

It all depends on how you want to go about your life. So long as you aren’t taking away the enjoyment of other players, who really cares these days.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-22 10:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like playing Russian roulette, you can win the roll 100 times but if you lose once you're ded. It does not matter how many times you get away with it or how incompetent you think they are, cause they just need to catch you once and it's over.
By K123 2024-02-22 10:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
The only people who say everyone buys gil are people who buy gil. The only people who say everyone cheats, are people who cheat. It's self justification, for doing something you yourself are ashamed of doing.

If you buy gil to speed up progression, you're putting all the work you put in at risk. They only have to catch you one single time, and you're fubar.

It's like playing Russian roulette, you can win the roll 100 times but if you lose once you're ded. It does not matter how many times you get away with it or how incompetent you think they are, cause they just need to catch you once and it's over.

They won't have a discussion with you, you can't convince them using the chewbaca defence. If you get banned, you're SoL so don't risk a ban over stupid sh**.
I didn't say everyone, I said basically everyone, and by that I mean of the active end game players. Not your role players or newbies. I've never bought gil. I could make 1bn/month with 3 chars if I wanted to make my own (like the 10bn I did in 2019-2021ish).

The same people, and I know most/all of them, openly talk about all kinds of cheating in discord chats and share tools in channels. I doubt you're anyone that's actually involved with any end game or you'd know. Half of them are on new inherited accounts since getting banned (or been banned multiple times) too.

Whatever some averagejoe players do on your backwater server is irrelevant to the discussion of actual active servers.
[+]
By Taint 2024-02-22 12:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The game gives you an easy 10mil++ a week per character between sparks, ambu and Odyssey.
[+]
 Asura.Excelior
By Asura.Excelior 2024-02-22 18:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
The game gives you an easy 10mil++ a week per character between sparks, ambu and Odyssey.

Damn you're still around.
 Bahamut.Noscrying
Server: Bahamut
user: NoScrying
By Bahamut.Noscrying 2024-02-23 09:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on your gear level, your job, whether or not you have an active LS or 2-3, if you're on an active server and if you're NA, JP or are in a EU timezone that has a bit of overlap with NA.
[+]
By Taint 2024-02-23 11:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Noscrying said: »
Depends on your gear level, your job, whether or not you have an active LS or 2-3, if you're on an active server and if you're NA, JP or are in a EU timezone that has a bit of overlap with NA.

Sparks is 2mil a week per character with little effort.
Ambu you just need to do normal once a week with the seal and buy gil items.
Odyssey is daily for ~1mil gil per PUG, lots of shouts on Asura which may be different on other servers.
By Beau 2024-02-23 12:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Any reason to have multiple Prismatic Chests? anyone tested for increased aura strength?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-02-23 12:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Strength is the minimum, 1, and thats also the answer for why have multiple, more aura strength to overpower other stuff.

Which is silly, just use furniture with no moghancement or the floor1/2 setup, but it is an option
By Chimerawizard 2024-02-23 14:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Just place furniture on 2nd floor if it's for storage or style.
1st floor is for moghancements. only place one furnishing in it at a time.

Is there s good place to get more info on Moblin Maze Mongers?
bg seems to be sorely lacking, and ffxiclopedia is missing key aspects I'm looking for. Like where can I find each type of rune? is it just hoardbox of ANY maze? How do the maze runes with unhelpful descriptions actually impact various maze types?
[+]
By Taint 2024-02-23 15:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Beau said: »
Any reason to have multiple Prismatic Chests? anyone tested for increased aura strength?

I tried 3 and nothing happened. Its also easily overridden by pretty much any other item.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 827 828 829 ... 843 844 845