Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 431 432 433 ... 850 851 852
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-12 13:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Differences in parry rate, JAs, Foil, Phalanx, magic damage taken, RUN can utilize /NIN without weakening its other defensive capabilities, RUN can break PDT cap with Aettir or Epeolatry... And why are you wearing full Erilaz in the first place? At best I can think of one extremely unusual situation where that's a reasonable option. 3/5 in a PDT set is pretty common though (body/legs/feet), so RUN would get partial set bonus on top of everything above.

DRG can utilize healing breath so long as you can keep the wyvern alive, while RUN can lean on Sanguine Blade (barring undead/resistant) at the expense of trading off greatsword utility. Trusts exist (if we're talking about true soloing then honestly why are you on either job in the first place?), though you could potentially argue that RUN does a (situationally) better job of keeping them alive (Valiance, One for All, Liement with Epeolatry).

DT-50% sets are kind of a universal baseline for defensive options and have been for a few years now, that barely touches on anything either job brings to the table here. Even then we're talking about soloing, so... who cares? Both can solo somewhat efficiently with trusts.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-04-12 13:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

"Atmacite of Dark Designs" used to add TP Bonus+50 at rank 15, but this was before they multiplied TP values by 10. Does it still work as TP Bonus+50 or +500 now?
By Morihei 2016-04-12 13:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, well, I guess there are bigger questions that need to be asked, then. I was thinking about trying to solo T1/T2 Escha NMs and D Dragon in Ambuscade. And people say "Oh, well, any DD with trusts can do that."

Dumb and false.

My SAM cranks out some really good damage, but those spikes do about 50 a hit to me, and the 2 healer and 1 rdm trust I bring in run out of mp before the dragon runs out of HP.

On the same setup on a no JP DRG with most of the stuff I listed, it's slower, but I take less damage. But the healers still run out of mp (RUN trust tanking).

I can do it on my BST, but only with a Run Wild, Unleash, and Familiar.

A friend of mine (that also came back a couple of months ago) said the Japanese crowd she runs with said RUN was a good solo job. One guy got on his RUN and soloed the "Poison Owl" (whatever that is) without timing out. So I thought maybe RUN was supposed to be a good solo job.

The big question is, what jobs are the best solo, and can DRG or SAM fit into any trust configurations that maximize their damage/survivability?
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-04-12 13:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess it depends what you're trying to solo, BLU is a very capable solo job, but then SCH can solo things BLU probably can't, not sure if any BLU's have tried to solo Ironside.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-12 14:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I suspect there's another question that needs to be addressed, specifically what your own gear sets look like. You've also noted that your DRG has no JP, which certainly doesn't help. I doubt a well geared BST would require Unleash for the likes of D Dragon either.

Soloing some of the Zi'tah T2s may or may not be possible for the likes of SAM or DRG, but aside from NMs that require procs or other specific mechanics (Gulltop might be a problem for instance) all the T1s should be doable. Not so much if you're trying to farm them to gear up though.
By Morihei 2016-04-12 14:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Are those the top two? There aren't any other "godlike" solo jobs?

I guess Squeenix sometimes changes things up with their "flavor of the month". I just wish the jobs I liked sometimes came up as that flavor of the month. . _.

I don't play enough to have friends, so maybe I just need to work on more realistic goals and keep it chill.
By Morihei 2016-04-12 14:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

And yeah... I kinda am trying to solo them for gear.

I guess the big misconception that I have is that T1 Escha gear or 119 AF/Relic/Emp combinations with Oboro JSE-full-aug weps are pretty close to whatever top-level gear is.

So two questions there. What does top-tier gear look like? And how can I get Job Points on SAM or DRG? Reisenjima is slow going, and there aren't a lot of AoE options.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-04-12 14:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »
Guess it depends what you're trying to solo, BLU is a very capable solo job, but then SCH can solo things BLU probably can't, not sure if any BLU's have tried to solo Ironside.

This guy did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UchLtxwih_U
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-04-12 14:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're looking to see top-tier gear for DRG, check out the guide thread in their forums. Most likely, though, the gear will consist of some of the Sulevia +1 set, some Valorous, and probably AF3 chest. IIRC, that piece is pretty great.

You'll get some good advice asking around in there.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-04-12 15:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Morihei said: »
Alright, well, I guess there are bigger questions that need to be asked, then. I was thinking about trying to solo T1/T2 Escha NMs and D Dragon in Ambuscade. And people say "Oh, well, any DD with trusts can do that."

Dumb and false.

My SAM cranks out some really good damage, but those spikes do about 50 a hit to me, and the 2 healer and 1 rdm trust I bring in run out of mp before the dragon runs out of HP.

On the same setup on a no JP DRG with most of the stuff I listed, it's slower, but I take less damage. But the healers still run out of mp (RUN trust tanking).

A friend of mine (that also came back a couple of months ago) said the Japanese crowd she runs with said RUN was a good solo job. One guy got on his RUN and soloed the "Poison Owl" (whatever that is) without timing out. So I thought maybe RUN was supposed to be a good solo job.

The big question is, what jobs are the best solo, and can DRG or SAM fit into any trust configurations that maximize their damage/survivability?

Maybe use SAM but dial back the damage taken with /run or /nin? /run if the spikes are the biggest problem and /nin if AoEs wrecking you. Also, what healers? If not Apururu or Yoran, they're pretty much worthless for anything that takes longer than 5 mins to kill.
 Carbuncle.Arcksan
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pluton
By Carbuncle.Arcksan 2016-04-12 16:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Morihei said: »

Dumb and false.

Well I do the dragon difficult solo with trust as BLU and DRG.. Spikes were never a problem :o
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2016-04-13 13:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the answers regarding VW and HMP. Of course they had to release Dark Souls 3 at the beginning of this damn campaign so I haven't started yet. I'll try Zilart T3's and see which one dies fastest. I've got something like 5k stones to spend across three accounts so I'm curious to see how much of a dent I can put in the requirements over this campaign.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-04-13 14:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
You're forgetting about the fact that the new set only has 10% haste.

Also, RUN is simply a decent solo job, and even that's being generous. DRG has always been a good soloer, basically since it came out. DRG/mage was great for healing breaths and heals and basically anything you could need.

Basically the largest hole in your logic is that trusts exist. Every single job in the game becomes a viable solo job with trusts. You're also ignoring practically every aspect of the jobs themselves and instead only looking at their gear.

DRG is a fine solo job, so if that's what you want, go for it. It is just not considered a very good DD. That's really it.

Strong solo job used to mean jobs with good survive ability and versatile skill set, but with trust tank and healer this really isn't the case anymore. Nowadays solo with trusts is mostly about your kill speed and maybe keeping trusts alive. And ability to kill fast often has an advantage when trusts are tanking the NM.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-13 15:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I did about 50 Qilins last night and got a little more than 50 Petrifacts.
Did 50 Qilins myself today, all with 1 cobalt and 1 rubicund each.
Ended up with 3 HMPs and 38 Petrifacts.
Was expecting something better =/

I mean I know 50 is a small sample but still...
Negative record on Qilin in the past: 0 pouches in 72 kills
Positive record streak: 5 pouches in 6 kills!
By aeonova 2016-04-14 08:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

How do I macro TP moves while doing Monstrosity? I'd like to macro Vampiric Lash for my Morbol. Thanks in advance.
 Asura.Foreverj
user: Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-04-14 08:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I did about 50 Qilins last night and got a little more than 50 Petrifacts.
Did 50 Qilins myself today, all with 1 cobalt and 1 rubicund each.
Ended up with 3 HMPs and 38 Petrifacts.
Was expecting something better =/

I mean I know 50 is a small sample but still...
Negative record on Qilin in the past: 0 pouches in 72 kills
Positive record streak: 5 pouches in 6 kills!

May I ask what people looking for petrifacts for? Thanks.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-04-14 09:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

^ To unlock Voidwatch equipment on that goblin who sells stuff for merits in reisenjima.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-04-14 14:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Siren.Kyte said: »
I was told that this was probably the better script for getting things with sparks. It also has the added benefit allowing you to easily get a different item instead of Acheron Shields if you so desire.

can this be used to get skill books? I was curious since they come in multiple numbers. I tried entering just the books name and i got 0 copies. When i try adding a number i get 'cant find in menu'. But not sure the syntax if its even possible.

bump. curious.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-04-14 14:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vinedrius said: »
^ To unlock Voidwatch equipment on that goblin who sells stuff for merits in reisenjima.
where is this goblin?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-04-14 15:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

where is this goblin?

Emporox: Located at Portal 8 in Reisenjima. You need to finish the Rhapsody of Vana'diel story for access.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-04-14 15:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

where is this goblin?

Sylph.Aeo
user: Aeolus
By Sylph.Aeo 2016-04-14 19:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Vrikodara Jupon is a myth. Anyone gotten it lower than Difficult? I'm looking at about 75 kills w/o it... got every other drop a few times.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-04-14 20:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

anecdotal evidence suggests the distribution per slot is the same regardless of difficulty, the number and chance at slots is just different
 Bismarck.Dubai
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2016-04-15 01:27:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone remember which camp was it that people used to CP at? I remember it was the one with worms and rabbits in some gates area, but forgot the area name and how to get there
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-04-15 01:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Woh Gates closest to Kamihr Drifts Frontier Station.
 Bismarck.Dubai
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2016-04-15 02:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Woh Gates closest to Kamihr Drifts Frontier Station.

Thank you Llewlyn
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-15 02:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

^ this is the reason.
I'm currently past 0/2200 on Coruscanti.
I stopped tracking at 2200, I'm more likely around 2400ish but w/e.

Thought I might as well unlock that and get it with Merit Points.
I have "only" 4000 Pot-pourri points and 25k are needed for Coruscanti, but at least I know I will eventually get there :D
By oldman 2016-04-15 03:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Aeo said: »
Vrikodara Jupon is a myth. Anyone gotten it lower than Difficult? I'm looking at about 75 kills w/o it... got every other drop a few times.

I got it on Normal first kill after the last update. I don't know if they messed something up and have since fixed it, but for at least a few days after the last one drops seemed to be 100% on N with TH4 (BLU with dark mater augs) on all of the HTB that I tried.

During that period I got Vrikodara Jupon (first kill), Fettering Blade (also first kill), Donar Gun (first kill), Voltsurge Torque (third kill), Mafic Cudgel (third kill), and Calved Claws (first kill).

The only times I didn't get a drop where on NMs where I already had a good number of their loot already. I assumed that in those cases it loaded something I already had. It only happened once or twice out of about 10-15 kills (I only listed the drops I had been farming).
By FaeQueenCory 2016-04-15 07:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

oldman said: »

I got it on Normal first kill after the last update. I don't know if they messed something up and have since fixed it, but for at least a few days after the last one drops seemed to be 100% on N with TH4 (BLU with dark mater augs) on all of the HTB that I tried.

During that period I got Vrikodara Jupon (first kill), Fettering Blade (also first kill), Donar Gun (first kill), Voltsurge Torque (third kill), Mafic Cudgel (third kill), and Calved Claws (first kill).

The only times I didn't get a drop where on NMs where I already had a good number of their loot already. I assumed that in those cases it loaded something I already had. It only happened once or twice out of about 10-15 kills (I only listed the drops I had been farming).
Randomness is random.

In other words, you just got lucky. Same as anyone else. Same as a 1/1 Defending Ring.
Sometimes when I farm Avatars for papers, I'll get equipment every single time, and then other days I'll get nothing.
It's just random and you're just lucky. (Though TH does help a lot since it adds extra drop slots, so you get more rolls.)
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-04-15 07:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I got it multiple times on Normal way back when. The only HTB drop that seems deliberately extra rare to me is Gyve Doublet. Others are just random. I've had similar stretches of not seeing a particular item though. Had at least that many One to be Feared runs before I saw a Consummation Torque, for instance.
First Page 2 3 ... 431 432 433 ... 850 851 852