Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 422 423 424 ... 859 860 861
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-02-16 20:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
It should be fine if you just copy and pasted it.

got it working! took me a moment tho. Needed to load it first. Was trying /lua load "sparks" as was mentioned earlier in the thread. Turned out you need // two.
Thanks for the help with all that.

Now as soon as i figure out how to change the graphics overlay resolution back to something larger, then i should be good for a little while. (Seriously, this small text is hard to read!)
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-02-16 20:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Siren.Kyte said: »
It should be fine if you just copy and pasted it.

got it working! took me a moment tho. Needed to load it first. Was trying /lua load "sparks" as was mentioned earlier in the thread. Turned out you need // two.
Thanks for the help with all that.

Now as soon as i figure out how to change the graphics overlay resolution back to something larger, then i should be good for a little while. (Seriously, this small text is hard to read!)

// is used for all console commands, so if, say, you needed to reload a gearswap you'd have to do //gs reload.
By Amunaptra 2016-02-17 03:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

As a returning player from 2008 I'd like to know what magic stats are roughly worth these days.
I know that this depends on other gear and what spells you are csting but to have an idea for comparing sake.

Back in the days 2 INT was about 1 MAB, is this still roughly true?
and what about +magic damage?
 Asura.Cair
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2016-02-17 04:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

For any real numbers, you'll want to look at https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Magic_Damage

Magic Damage is pretty negligible for anything important. INT is on almost everything anyway.

The BLM forum is up to date on sets, look at that.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-02-17 06:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone have advice for Carmine +1 augments? I currently have legs and feet, will be trying to make head next, looking at the augment paths I was initially thinking Head + Legs Path D, rest Path B but I'm not 100% sure.

I only play PLD atm out of the jobs that can equip it, will probably re-gear BLU in the near future and RDM is an outside bet.
By fonewear 2016-02-17 07:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cair said: »
For any real numbers, you'll want to look at https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Magic_Damage

Magic Damage is pretty negligible for anything important. INT is on almost everything anyway.

I tried reading this but I didn't get a PhD in FFXI.
By Amunaptra 2016-02-18 03:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Any low-man/solo w trust strategy for Met?
Can't find much info on this guys apart being weak to magic
 Asura.Cair
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2016-02-18 03:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It dies in one Firaja -> Fire VI MB if you have that option. It's probably one of the easiest.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-02-18 04:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Does anyone have advice for Carmine +1 augments? I currently have legs and feet, will be trying to make head next, looking at the augment paths I was initially thinking Head + Legs Path D, rest Path B but I'm not 100% sure.

I only play PLD atm out of the jobs that can equip it, will probably re-gear BLU in the near future and RDM is an outside bet.

It really depends on what role you want the items to fill. The paths you listed are how I have mine. D on head is amazing for that FC and acc/macc combo for additional effect spells on BLU. I took D on legs for the flexibility of another DW option with massive accuracy, but B is also highly viable for the excellent MND boost, which combines with the healing skill already on the item to make for quite a cure piece. B on the feet was really the only path I found most valuable, but you could make a case for the extra STR on A for PLD WSs, I suppose.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-02-18 04:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Cerberus.Tidis said: »

It really depends on what role you want the items to fill. The paths you listed are how I have mine. D on head is amazing for that FC and acc/macc combo for additional effect spells on BLU. I took D on legs for the flexibility of another DW option with massive accuracy, but B is also highly viable for the excellent MND boost, which combines with the healing skill already on the item to make for quite a cure piece. B on the feet was really the only path I found most valuable, but you could make a case for the extra STR on A for PLD WSs, I suppose.
Thanks for the reply, I'll probably give that a go for now, at the very least it's easy to change paths if I need to.
By FaeQueenCory 2016-02-18 06:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget that pathB on the legs is one of the only 119 options PLD can get (without random augments) that has a large amount of DEX on it.

BLU has lots of other options for that, but PLD's DEX legs are limited.
(Well I guess there's Lustraio? But the lack of native STR, or the usual 30ish... As well as Acc AND Atk... I prefer carmine to it for CDC on PLD.)
 Shiva.Hiep
Server: Shiva
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2016-02-18 07:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm playing on an ASUS laptop and periodically my disk driver would crash, resulting in one of my alt chars also. Anyone have any suggestions on how I would fix this?
By FaeQueenCory 2016-02-18 07:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Amunaptra said: »
As a returning player from 2008 I'd like to know what magic stats are roughly worth these days.
I know that this depends on other gear and what spells you are csting but to have an idea for comparing sake.

This was never true.
Ever.
Not even functionally useful (like +X skill is 0.9X acc&atk).

fonewear said: »

It's really quite simple. No PHDs needed.

So you have five things that modify magic damage:
ΔSTAT
Mdmg
pMAB/tMDB
Maff
Macc

Your ΔSTAT for BLM is gonna be INT. This determines the spell's base damage. And it's the simple your total INT minus your target's INT.
The larger your INT is over their's, the higher the base damage your spell will have.
However, this is not infinite. Once you hit the cap, any more INT won't change the base damage.

Which is where Mdmg comes in. It simply adds to the base damage. If the base damage is 200 and you have Mdmg+50, then the base damage will be 250.
Simple as addition.

Next comes the RATIO of MAB and MDB.
MAB is simple, it's a % increase to the damage.
Not a hard % like BPdmg or Maff, but a soft %.
So MAB+60 would be a 1.6x modifier to the above 250 base damage.
Or at least it would be if it was a hard % increase.
But due to it being a ratio of yourMAB/targetMDB, you'll find that you'll have a smaller boon than you would think.
For instance, to continue with the example, against trash, likely having only 1~2 MDB, the 250 base damage spell will deal 400~325.
As you can see, just 1 MDB dropped the damage by almost 100.
NMs usually always have large MDB terms, but this is why GEO's malaise is so powerful, dropping their MDB to 1 turns your MAB into a hard % increase.

Maff is almost the same as MAB. It's even now written exclusively as ELEMENT "MAB" +X. It's a straight % increase to the damage after pMAB/tMDB. Fire "MAB" +15 would mean any Fire spells cast will have an additional 1.15x multiplier tacked on.
So our 400~325 would be 460~373, assuming it's fire.

There's also day/weather bonuses, which are another hard % boost.
They happen randomly when you match a spell to the day and/or weather, and can be forced by obis and increased in potency by certain gear.

Finally we come to Macc.
While this will never increase your damage, it will increase your over all damage by reducing resists, which are magical "misses".
There's many resist states, and they all cut your spell's damage by anywhere from 9/10s to 1/5 and even down to 1/16 iirc.
It all depends on your Macc, which is made up of skill, INT and Macc+.
The more you have, the more likely you'll be dealing full damage.
This is why INT is so favorable too. INT pulls double duty, increasing spell damage AND adding Macc in a degree of either 1INT:0.5Macc to 1INT:1Macc depending on your ΔINT. (I like to use 0.75INT for rough Macc comparisons of two pieces of gear. Since ΔINT depends on which mob you're fighting, without knowing their exact INT, you can't say for sure if you're in range to get 1:1 or 1:0.5, so I like to split the difference when comparing pieces of gear.)

Let's look at a simple example, the WKR cape: INT+8 MAB+10
It's giving you between 4 and 8 Macc, and 10 MAB; as well as increasing your spells' base damage. So in order for something to be better than that, ignoring something like the MBdmg cape, since MBdmg is fancy now, a cape would need 6 or greater Macc, 10 or so Mdmg (too hard to calculate without everything else, but 10 should be enough to make up for the loss of 8 INT, depending on your other gear, even 5 could.), and 10 or more MAB.
INT *CAN* be traded off, but you will need both Macc and Mdmg to make up for the loss.
And the less INT you have, the more Macc and Mdmg you will likely need.
[+]
By Leadleaf 2016-02-18 12:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the deal with the Dullahan move Noihonto(sp)? A few times it dealt <500~ damage and another time it did >4k. Doing Ra'Ka skirmishes.
By fonewear 2016-02-18 12:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Amunaptra said: »

This was never true.
Ever.
Not even functionally useful (like +X skill is 0.9X acc&atk).

fonewear said: »

It's really quite simple. No PHDs needed.

So you have five things that modify magic damage:
ΔSTAT
Mdmg
pMAB/tMDB
Maff
Macc

Your ΔSTAT for BLM is gonna be INT. This determines the spell's base damage. And it's the simple your total INT minus your target's INT.
The larger your INT is over their's, the higher the base damage your spell will have.
However, this is not infinite. Once you hit the cap, any more INT won't change the base damage.

Which is where Mdmg comes in. It simply adds to the base damage. If the base damage is 200 and you have Mdmg+50, then the base damage will be 250.
Simple as addition.

Next comes the RATIO of MAB and MDB.
MAB is simple, it's a % increase to the damage.
Not a hard % like BPdmg or Maff, but a soft %.
So MAB+60 would be a 1.6x modifier to the above 250 base damage.
Or at least it would be if it was a hard % increase.
But due to it being a ratio of yourMAB/targetMDB, you'll find that you'll have a smaller boon than you would think.
For instance, to continue with the example, against trash, likely having only 1~2 MDB, the 250 base damage spell will deal 400~325.
As you can see, just 1 MDB dropped the damage by almost 100.
NMs usually always have large MDB terms, but this is why GEO's malaise is so powerful, dropping their MDB to 1 turns your MAB into a hard % increase.

Maff is almost the same as MAB. It's even now written exclusively as ELEMENT "MAB" +X. It's a straight % increase to the damage after pMAB/tMDB. Fire "MAB" +15 would mean any Fire spells cast will have an additional 1.15x multiplier tacked on.
So our 400~325 would be 460~373, assuming it's fire.

There's also day/weather bonuses, which are another hard % boost.
They happen randomly when you match a spell to the day and/or weather, and can be forced by obis and increased in potency by certain gear.

Finally we come to Macc.
While this will never increase your damage, it will increase your over all damage by reducing resists, which are magical "misses".
There's many resist states, and they all cut your spell's damage by anywhere from 9/10s to 1/5 and even down to 1/16 iirc.
It all depends on your Macc, which is made up of skill, INT and Macc+.
The more you have, the more likely you'll be dealing full damage.
This is why INT is so favorable too. INT pulls double duty, increasing spell damage AND adding Macc in a degree of either 1INT:0.5Macc to 1INT:1Macc depending on your ΔINT. (I like to use 0.75INT for rough Macc comparisons of two pieces of gear. Since ΔINT depends on which mob you're fighting, without knowing their exact INT, you can't say for sure if you're in range to get 1:1 or 1:0.5, so I like to split the difference when comparing pieces of gear.)

Let's look at a simple example, the WKR cape: INT+8 MAB+10
It's giving you between 4 and 8 Macc, and 10 MAB; as well as increasing your spells' base damage. So in order for something to be better than that, ignoring something like the MBdmg cape, since MBdmg is fancy now, a cape would need 6 or greater Macc, 10 or so Mdmg (too hard to calculate without everything else, but 10 should be enough to make up for the loss of 8 INT, depending on your other gear, even 5 could.), and 10 or more MAB.
INT *CAN* be traded off, but you will need both Macc and Mdmg to make up for the loss.
And the less INT you have, the more Macc and Mdmg you will likely need.

That helps a lot thanks.
 Bismarck.Baalthus
Server: Bismarck
user: Baalthus
By Bismarck.Baalthus 2016-02-19 05:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Exists a possibility to retrieve Avatar fight rewards, such as "Colossus's Torque", after you accidently dropped it?

Repeating the quest (e.g. "Divine Interference") does not give you the option to select the reward again... :(
By FaeQueenCory 2016-02-19 06:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I had thought that repetition allowed you to get it again, guess I misremembered.

You can either call a GM... That's basically it I think.

Of course, since it's the torque you reference, can easily kill the Warders for the Escha - Ru'Aun magic torques. (Can then smoosh them together to get +10 to all magic skills and a 1% chance at free magic.)
Hope that option works for you, because SE is stingy about character resets.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-02-19 06:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Baalthus said: »
Exists a possibility to retrieve Avatar fight rewards, such as "Colossus's Torque", after you accidently dropped it?

Repeating the quest (e.g. "Divine Interference") does not give you the option to select the reward again... :(

"Divine Interference" has always been repeatable to pick a new reward. Unless it is currently bugged, I don't know why you wouldn't get the option. Are you returning to Naja after the fight? You must get to her to use the keyitem you get when you beat it.
 Bismarck.Baalthus
Server: Bismarck
user: Baalthus
By Bismarck.Baalthus 2016-02-19 07:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I did. After speaking with Naja I can choose the rewards, but "Colossus's Torque" is not in the list anymore.
By Kwyn1 2016-02-19 07:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

For end-game nowadays, I'm wondering what jobs OTHER than SAM are in demand as far as DDs. I don't know why, I just can't stand playing SAM.
By geigei 2016-02-19 08:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Kwyn1 said: »
For end-game nowadays, I'm wondering what jobs OTHER than SAM are in demand as far as DDs. I don't know why, I just can't stand playing SAM.
You're on the wrong gaming forum i think...i hope.
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2016-02-19 13:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
as DDs. I don't know why, I just can't stand playing SAM.

SAM BLU. Moreso BLU.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-02-19 14:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

DNC is quite good but doesn't really get talked about for whatever reason.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-02-20 13:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I used warp ring and nothing happened, didn't zone to new place or anything. I was still talking in LS. Then decided to walk my name (character wasn't showing on screen anymore, just the name) to the zone. It just remained black.

Waited a couple mins and then tried logging back in but my char was still logged in.

Waited for a while and now I'm getting an Error code: FFXI-3305. Unable to connect to world server. Specified operation failed.

I assume the server's still up and my char's hosed, anyone have this issue? Also, what's best way of contacting support for issues when you can't log in?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-02-21 08:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

is 100k the max slit you can hold at once?
By Wordspoken 2016-02-21 09:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
is 100k the max slit you can hold at once?
No. Buy the KI and it's billion or something.
 Cerberus.Midgitis
By Cerberus.Midgitis 2016-02-21 09:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No, not even close. Considering Brew costs 11 mil.

There are Key items you can buy for silt iirc that will increase the cap of both silt and beads you can hold.

Current theoretical limit on silt is 1 bil.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-02-21 15:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

can you remove stats like stone from pets?
 Cerberus.Kyka
By Cerberus.Kyka 2016-02-22 02:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The large pinks, Pixie type wings that I've seen players wearing for extended amounts of time, what are they and how do I obtain them? Thanks in advance.
First Page 2 3 ... 422 423 424 ... 859 860 861