MTV started the same year as I was born -.-

You think you are old?
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-09 02:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If MTV bought SE we'd be voting each other off qufim island, and they'd infiltrate linkshells with 1 or 2 RMT's telling everyone there's an RMT in the ls and everyone should start drama to find out who it is. And have random pseudo celebs playing a char 1 week each.

Cribs = mog house show off?
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-09 02:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
MTV started the same year as I was born -.-

You think you are old?

I'm older than that D:
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-09 02:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
If MTV bought SE we'd be voting each other off qufim island, and they'd infiltrate linkshells with 1 or 2 RMT's telling everyone there's an RMT in the ls and everyone should start drama to find out who it is. And have random pseudo celebs playing a char 1 week each.

And no gameplay allowed, cause thats what MTV stands for!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-09 02:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:

If that happened they might actually start playing music again...
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-09 02:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

World would implode

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-09 02:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
I don't know if anyone posted, but I especially liked the "as long as its not immoral, ill do the job" type line of working for money.

I just love how "immoral" is all relative to the person who's going to do it.

I figure anything you'd be willing to do for less then good money to make you feel good about it must be moral. Like me I think I think 100k a year would change my morals a little but less then that probably not much.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-09 02:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
I don't know if anyone posted, but I especially liked the "as long as its not immoral, ill do the job" type line of working for money.

I just love how "immoral" is all relative to the person who's going to do it.

They don't consider it immoral because its just a video game, but the practice of cheating people out is what most call immoral.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-09 02:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
It's so weird. "We would be grateful if players just gave us some space"

Yes, let's all just let rmts do what THEY want, and we organize/plan AROUND them. It's pure selfishness. These guys want things to be easier so they can keep their jobs.

Anyone can understand that. Making a buck isn't always easy. But it's a *** copout, even in China, ESPECIALLY in China, to say that's all the work they can get.

I know most/everyone can watch that OP video and go "uh, no".

I hope so too....
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-09 03:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk I think itd be fun to set up a server and put only rmts on it. Like make everythign alot easier triple droprate and stuff and see what happens.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-09 03:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, work at a factory in china, or sit behind a computer and play a video game in china ... I know which job I would pick ...

Who here thinks this business plan would work in the reverse? i.e. American workers farming gold to sell to privileged Asian gamers.

I could give a rats *** if some kid wants to blow is birthday money on a new in game item. It doesn't mean I can't have fun going to my endgame event that week, or go level with friends. I just don't see where the hatred comes from.

It was a cool little video though, it's always interesting to see the other side of the story.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-09 03:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Blindphleb said:
Hmm, work at a factory in china, or sit behind a computer and play a video game in china ... I know which job I would pick ...

Who here thinks this business plan would work in the reverse? i.e. American workers farming gold to sell to privileged Asian gamers.

I could give a rats *** if some kid wants to blow is birthday money on a new in game item. It doesn't mean I can't have fun going to my endgame event that week, or go level with friends. I just don't see where the hatred comes from.

It was a cool little video though, it's always interesting to see the other side of the story.

Perhaps you forget how cutthroat the RMTs used to be. I remember a time when you couldn't get alot of NMs cause of them. Or who remember that one christmas where the economy went into a seizure?
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-09 03:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Blindphleb said:

Perhaps you forget how cutthroat the RMTs used to be. I remember a time when you couldn't get alot of NMs cause of them. Or who remember that one christmas where the economy went into a seizure?

Yes, I admit I wasn't here when the RMT was really really bad. My less hostile view toward RMT is probably due to this.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-09 03:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Blindphleb said:

Or how about when, before the patch, RMTs would just MPK you if you are camping on top of them?
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-05-09 03:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:

its really not the same that SE gives you the option to have additional chars for $1 per months as if they would send you POL mails saying

"x-tra low price on gil over the holidays 10 mil for only $99.99, why not buy a shura tog togi +1 while you're at it, only $45.99 for a limited period. Save $ by buying them together 10 mil and shura togi +1 for a whopping $129.99"

Sure they're not advertising it that way, SE is more subtle :)

But still, with RL money and without using "RMT", I can make gils faster than an average player. A single server transfer can easily gets you a 30% profit. Meaning if you invest 20M before Xfering, you'll get 26M back after transfer.

That's 6M for $60. Holy ***cheaper than brogame ! And only by using SE service, so at least your money will helps SE to dev more ***like ACP for 10 bucks.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-09 03:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

God but I loved MPKing rmts back in the day. We had this guy in my ls that knew chinese so he tell us insults in chinese to use. Watch for funny *** reaction grab alot of aggroing mobs and warp out. Was no end to the fun
 Unicorn.Laraul
Server: Unicorn
user: Laraul
By Unicorn.Laraul 2009-05-09 12:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
God, they try to make it sound like its not their fault.

They still took the job, they had the choice....

Yes, the other choice is to STARVE!

There are over 4 billion* people in China, many whom are still farmers who lack the money to pay for an education. And to get a job in the city, you need to be educated. Those who aren't end up taking any job they can get. They take these jobs not only to feed and house themselves, but also so they can get a real education and move on. They don't enjoy doing what they do.

I can't believe you people are so shallow. To us, it's a game. We play it for enjoyment. It has little impact on our real lives. We can quit when we choose and walk away like nothing happened. They don't have this luxury. So excuse me for saying this, but the players are the real problem. Want to stop RMT you gonna have to quit playing the game. Everyone will.

* Correction: Population (2008 est.) 1,330,044,605 (my bad)
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-09 12:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Laraul said:
Korpg said:
God, they try to make it sound like its not their fault.

They still took the job, they had the choice....

Yes, the other choice is to STARVE!

There are over 4 billion people in China, many whom are still farmers who lack the money to pay for an education. And to get a job in the city, you need to be educated. Those who aren't end up taking any job they can get. They take these jobs not only to feed and house themselves, but also so they can get a real education and move on. They don't enjoy doing what they do.

I can't believe you people are so shallow. To us, it's a game. We play it for enjoyment. It has little impact on our real lives. We can quit when we choose and walk away like nothing happened. They don't have this luxury. So excuse me for saying this, but the players are the real problem. Want to stop RMT you gonna have to quit playing the game. Everyone will.

stoped reading there. get your facts straight first.
[+]
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-09 12:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing that pisses me off the most about RMT is that it gives people with RL advantages, such as having tons of money to blow on currency/items for an online game, an advantage over those that don't have that kind of money.

I play FFXI to escape from the real world, where more money=a better life. It's nice that whether you make 200k a year or 15k a year, your rewards and accomplishments are tied directly to how much time you put in. People that put in the time will get the things they want, whether it takes months of playing less then 5 hours a week, or 2 weeks playing 15 hours a day. Either way, the time spent is about the same, some people can just achieve it faster. Those that spent weeks upon weeks making money to buy XX gear get nothing but respect from me...people that paid $200 and bought the gil and just bought it are pieces of ***, and cheapen the experience for everyone else.

And ditto on the "Just give Gold farmers a little bit of space". *** that. If they had their way, they'd monopolize whole zones and markets...and they DID, until S-E started mass bannings and such. So *** them.
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-05-09 13:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate RMT with a passion, idc what their real life is like, but i must say that most of FFXI's economy probs atm are not b/c of RMT. (anymore) They are b/c of greedy people undercutting everyone else so they get their money faster therefore lowering the price on items then blaming RMT for their ***. I also blame SE for releasing gear thats about the same to each other...after the Nuevo was released...150k Hauby...ftl.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-09 13:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
I also blame SE for releasing gear thats about the same to each other...after the Nuevo was released...150k Hauby...ftl.

Ya, but you gotta look at the player base, too, when it comes to that ***. Why is 150k Hauby "required" in the first place? Because, as FFXI has aged, people have gotten into the "XXX piece of gear or GTFO" mindset. I'm sure it didn't used to be that way, in the early days, but it perpetuates itself...and newer players jump on the bandwagon because that's all they know.

A lot of people will say that "Skill>Gear"...but that mindset hardly gets any real validation in reality when people /check a person, LOL at their stuff, and boot them, or at the very least ***all over them. I mean, if you're wearing level 20 ***at the Aht Urhgan levels, yeah...but I've seen people freak out over far less.
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-05-09 13:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Dubont said:
I also blame SE for releasing gear thats about the same to each other...after the Nuevo was released...150k Hauby...ftl.

Ya, but you gotta look at the player base, too, when it comes to that ***. Why is 150k Hauby "required" in the first place? Because, as FFXI has aged, people have gotten into the "XXX piece of gear or GTFO" mindset. I'm sure it didn't used to be that way, in the early days, but it perpetuates itself...and newer players jump on the bandwagon because that's all they know.

A lot of people will say that "Skill>Gear"...but that mindset hardly gets any real validation in reality when people /check a person, LOL at their stuff, and boot them, or at the very least ***all over them. I mean, if you're wearing level 20 ***at the Aht Urhgan levels, yeah...but I've seen people freak out over far less.

i usually give suggestions for gear..but the only time i ***on anyone is like..if a lv 70+drk is using chr gear...
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-09 14:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
i usually give suggestions for gear..but the only time i ***on anyone is like..if a lv 70+drk is using chr gear...

Oh, I know...I'll give suggestions myself if I know of something that may make someone a better whatever. There's cheaper alternative out there for a lot of stuff that, while obviously not ideal, will serve the purpose. But the "(blank) or GTFO" people need to lighten up. Not everyone has a bankroll to be able to afford that "necessary" gear, and not everyone has an LS behind them to help them get it.

A lot of the +1 gear out there makes me LOL anyways...pay 80k more for 2 or 4 more MP or whatever? Gimme a break lol
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-05-09 14:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:

I remember that X-mas :x
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-11 12:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow... You guys are just sad. Yes, let's perpetuate a cycle of hate, that sounds like a GOOD IDEA. *Sighs.*

Generally, RMT will not affect you in any way. As SE changes NMs around and makes more rare/ex drop or rare/ex alternatives to current drops RMT no longer camp the NMs they used to.

And on the part of the RMT that farm for and sell the gil/gold... Were you people that are condemning them born in China? Did you grow up incredibly poor? Was it a real challenge just getting by and keeping food in your stomach?

As for the buying gil part, some don't have the time to dedicate to farming all the time / etc. etc. to get gil but they still want to play this game and enjoy the better gear / higher crafting levels / etc. Is it really that wrong for someone with extra money irl but not much time to play to go out and buy gil for their character? If you're saying yes, you probably haven't played F2P games that allow you to buy in-game items/currency in their "Cash Shop" like Perfect World.

Let's look at it this way, someone has an hour or two per day to play a video game like FFXI. Is an hour or two going to get you anywhere? Probably not. Let's say they can make 30k/hr (which is pretty high for some people/jobs/levels) and they want to buy... A Peacock Charm. They certainly can't camp Argus with their schedule. Should they just farm for over a month straight so they can buy it? Sure, it's not an 'essential' item, but most things in FFXI aren't essential. But at the same time, they're making good money irl and have extra at the time.

So what's their alternative?
Should they only play one-player games?
Should they go to a game that's F2P with a Cash Shop so they can buy things legally if they want?
Or should they go to an MMO like WoW where they can accomplish things in a smaller amount of time?

It's easy to criticize someone when you've never been in their situation. Let's try less hate and more understanding and acceptance. If SE doesn't like something that's going on in-game, they'll take care of it. RMT will always be around, even if SE started selling gil, I'm sure you'd still have sites selling it cheaper. Just accept it.

BTW... I have been around since the very start. I know how good/bad it's been and how inflation/deflation has affected FFXI's economy. That being said, I'm not out for RMT blood. I just don't see the point in it.
[+]
 Kujata.Houshisama
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-11 12:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

im not taking the time to read most of the rest of the thread, because frankly TL;DR
i think SE could ban all the people who buy gil and they have / will. they dont care about your money, they have said this plenty of times. which is why they banned shitloads of people in salvage for not playing by the rules. so RMT doesnt have to exist if the players dont buy and they ban the ones who do
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-11 12:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Wow... You guys are just sad. Yes, let's perpetuate a cycle of hate, that sounds like a GOOD IDEA. *Sighs.*

Generally, RMT will not affect you in any way. As SE changes NMs around and makes more rare/ex drop or rare/ex alternatives to current drops RMT no longer camp the NMs they used to.

And on the part of the RMT that farm for and sell the gil/gold... Were you people that are condemning them born in China? Did you grow up incredibly poor? Was it a real challenge just getting by and keeping food in your stomach?

As for the buying gil part, some don't have the time to dedicate to farming all the time / etc. etc. to get gil but they still want to play this game and enjoy the better gear / higher crafting levels / etc. Is it really that wrong for someone with extra money irl but not much time to play to go out and buy gil for their character? If you're saying yes, you probably haven't played F2P games that allow you to buy in-game items/currency in their "Cash Shop" like Perfect World.

Let's look at it this way, someone has an hour or two per day to play a video game like FFXI. Is an hour or two going to get you anywhere? Probably not. Let's say they can make 30k/hr (which is pretty high for some people/jobs/levels) and they want to buy... A Peacock Charm. They certainly can't camp Argus with their schedule. Should they just farm for over a month straight so they can buy it? Sure, it's not an 'essential' item, but most things in FFXI aren't essential. But at the same time, they're making good money irl and have extra at the time.

So what's their alternative?
Should they only play one-player games?
Should they go to a game that's F2P with a Cash Shop so they can buy things legally if they want?
Or should they go to an MMO like WoW where they can accomplish things in a smaller amount of time?

It's easy to criticize someone when you've never been in their situation. Let's try less hate and more understanding and acceptance. If SE doesn't like something that's going on in-game, they'll take care of it. RMT will always be around, even if SE started selling gil, I'm sure you'd still have sites selling it cheaper. Just accept it.

BTW... I have been around since the very start. I know how good/bad it's been and how inflation/deflation has affected FFXI's economy. That being said, I'm not out for RMT blood. I just don't see the point in it.

also stfu
 Kujata.Hrolandus
user: Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-05-11 12:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:

I don't hate anyone, its not a healthy feeling to hold on to. I have however had run-ins with these folks from China and they don't just want space. They are desperate to make gil to sell it to lazy/HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE/selfish/simply greedy people that play this game, and that desperation makes them kinda hard to deal with, especially if you are competing with them.

Now as to the continuous stream of "Wah wah boo-hoo poor Chinese people," that I see creeping in here; these folks have other options. I have had friends in and from China who a.) despite circumstances make a way for themselves w/ a real trade, b.) get out of a nation that slobbers over the economic philosophy of a fat, lazy Euro-trash scum bag that married a weak-willed relative, and who allowed members of his family die of starvation and sickness because he was lazy/refused to work for the Bourgeoisie or "the man." Incidentally, with the vast proportion of the world's population, if the Chinese want to do something productive maybe they could overthrow the super-Bourgeoisie class that have become the leaders of their country and establish a nation that actually allows enterprise and entrepreneurship, or the could sit on computers and in factories and make a pittance.