Little story
First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Albender
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Albender
By Ragnarok.Albender 2009-05-05 05:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

A few days ago I was fishing in Nashmau and noticed a low level of my shell was farming on Saruta.

He was trying real hard as per I was reading on the LS chat.
He wanted to save some Gil in order to buy better gear.
He said she had like 25k only.

I decided to investigate by myself since I detected the true nice spirit I really love from people.

Warped to Windy (we fishers like our HP in Windy lol) and zoned to Saruta.
He was THF13 so he was still getting some xp of the mobs I think.
Was trying to kill bees, crawlers, yagudos, etc…Had to rest from time to time.
I noticed he was really trying hard.
I asked if he wouldn’t mind stopping to receive xp and invited him.

I start to kill everything that moves DRK75/THF37 and tell him to lot everything on the pool.
That of course speeds ups the amount of items he gets.
We make a decent amount in really no time.

When I decide I need to go sleep, I ask him to come to my <pos>
I browse my items and find I have a Platinum Ore from some digging session sitting there.
Wow, Platinum Ore! Sounds a cool item to a newbie most likely.
I trade him the Platinum Ore and tell him to sell it on the AH. I have to specify that didn’t drop on Saruta of any mob.

Then I log and go to bed feeling as an accomplished player but there’s no rankings nor points for that.
I helped somebody that wasn’t corrupted by the game (yet?)
When I was in bed I noticed he may have troubles selling that on Windy AH…Oh well…

When I saw the amount of Gil I have and I compare it with the amount of Gil he had, I felt I was Bill Gates and that guy
was just a homeless trying to make his way up by working hard.

I also remember how hard it was to get my first Gil.
I saw myself again in Saruta.
I wished somebody would have come to help me a little bit back in time, making that first farming experience less “painful”.

And I had to help.

Best 2 hours 15 minutes of this year ingame.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-05 05:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You could, you know, give him the gil instead. But that would have taught him a bad lesson.

Props to him for the hard work and effort at such a nooby level.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-05 05:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Awwww da warm fuzzies :D

There's probably not a single player on Odin under level 50 now considering how long it's been closed lol
 Ragnarok.Albender
user: Albender
By Ragnarok.Albender 2009-05-05 05:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
You could, you know, give him the gil instead. But that would have taught him a bad lesson.

I had lots of fun running around for a while killing stuff.

On top of that, he was shocked on the amount of items that were constantly on the pool. :)

Trading some Gil wouldn't have been that fun for both of us.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-05 05:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

True.

I love helping noobs out. Not by doing all the work for them, but showing them my secret spots/methods of making gil.
 Kujata.Wayners
Server: Kujata
user: Wayners
By Kujata.Wayners 2009-05-05 06:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

cool beans : )
 Ragnarok.Jammie
user: Jammie
By Ragnarok.Jammie 2009-05-05 06:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a nice story! It always amazes me if I take the time and stop to think about all the adventures I had... and to think I started out such a noob. (Like how I made a MacGuyver-worthy contraption out of a pencil, eraser and a rubber band, that I could put on my numpad to fake an autorun. I used it for months before I accidently found out there was an autorun button ingame... yeah, that made me feel stupid back then, but fills me with nostalgia now).
 Cerberus.Savannah
Server: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-05 07:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

awwww somebody w/ a heart on the game?? lol that was so sweet~
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-05 07:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS has had a recent influx of nubcakes due to one of them getting a pearlsack. I don't mind helping them out with anything as long as I get a simple thank you. Now some of them think they are entitled and every day I get /tells asking if I can go do this or help them camp this nm. Needless to say I stopped helping those ones since they think the only reason I log on is to help them get to 75 and pimp out their gear.
 Cerberus.Savannah
Server: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-05 07:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind helping either, but more or less it has to be reasonable and work around my events. Being a sack in the ls I have a priority to help others, however there is only so much time in a day I can do that.
 Bahamut.Bokkai
Server: Bahamut
user: Bokkai
By Bahamut.Bokkai 2009-05-05 10:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome. I too had someone (LORD MIGHTY) show me the ropes in the game. I took a bit of ridicule at first because I was gimped, but they saw that I really wanted to play. He bought me some gear and set me up for success.

I try to help newbies as well, but some of them think they know it all especially in XP pt's. I found two yesterday that were in the wrong place at the wrong level just wasting time for minimal XP even with rings on.
 Lakshmi.Tkai
Server: Lakshmi
user: Tkai
By Lakshmi.Tkai 2009-05-05 10:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember the times in Lower Jeuno when ppl would examine me and then ask for some gils. It almost felt like in RL when you are going to the store and some homeless person ask you for money. Like the story above, I just tell them how they can farm gils at a low level.
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-05-05 11:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with you guys. It does get irritating when the same people shout for help in LS chat everyday. ITs something different everyday.
It is good to remember your roots and help others. That is the way this game is designed.
Then again there are people who cry for help constantly and pout when they dont get it... then months later they are lvl 75 and all of a sudden they have no time to help others.
Let the selfish people be selfish. Most of us do the right thing when finding time to help others.
You can pretty much tell if the persons asking is 1. Truly lacking knowledge and
truly lost or
2. Selfish and wants it done ASAP.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-05 11:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Man i remember my first time on FF, I started a elvaan char and ended up on Fenrir as my 1st server. Had a rl friend trying to help me, he was telling me what to kill. I was in Sandy nation at that time and he took me out to ronfaure to kill. Well I start killing bunnies and he didn't warn me about orcs when your starting out, so I got raped by a orc :/ He laughed of course and says oops i forgot lol
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
user: Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-06 01:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I help a lot of new players too. Not cause I wanted to feel pwn in front of them [lol Lv.5 mob Sidewinder for 1k+ lulz]

But because starting this game out REALLY IS a pain in the ***, unless you know what youre doing.

There's 3 people on our server who surpassed me before I even got my job to 75 over time, as they were Lv.1 when I first met them.

Needed help with the areas, farming and getting up to rank 5 for the airship.
I helped them for the first 2 weeks of their start. Some people will occasionally say "One day I'm gonna help you out in return for helping me."

All I say to new players is, be courteous and help others who are below your level when you get higher. Cause you know how hard it was to start out at some point when you first came to Vanadiel.

Bout a few months of leveling and such down the road, I end up losing my account, and having to bring back my char from Odin. Leveling it up from LV.10 MNK Lv.10 WAR to 70.

Bout that time, I saw those same 3 mithras.
Waved and saw they surpassed my Char Elk at 75.
And asked how things were.
They all said somethin similar to being courteous and helping new players.

So I think it goes without saying, the more people everyone helps to show them the ropes without it being greedy, the better overall player courtesy youll see in Vanadiel.
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-06 01:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the best part now about gil is the fact that even New players to the game can get right into Fields of Valor to obtain some food for themselves, refresh, regen and gil in no time.

Wish we had that kinda ***when we started lol.
things wouldve been easier me thinkz :<
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-06 01:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the pay it forward approach. Whenever I help a newbie out (I have a habit of helping random blus learn some of the tougher spells), if they're not a douche, the usual response is something along the lines of "thanks heaps, owe you big time", to which I always reply, "no, you don't owe me anything, but remember this next time you see someone that needs help"
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-05-06 01:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya I do the same thing.. I rem back when I started a pal from Suicidekings named Dryden gaveme my first 25K, and said to spend it wisely. It last me ove a month and I got my first Spike Necklace.

I think he is long gone from the game now.. but I salute him!

Thanks man for the times!
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-05-06 03:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's awesome to see such players still exist! We're a dying breed for sure, but I promise you that the kindness you showed him will carry with him throughout his time in final fantasy :).

I remember the first time I appeared in southern sandy as the lost mithra I was back then, so many years ago now >_< (Still am lost now!! lol), and Inuyashaa and Diwata showed me where to turn in my adventurer coupon, where to get the mog house shortcuts and told me to always look at my map! (I get lost so easily lol). I asked them how I could repay them for their kindness and I was told to "Show the same kindness to others!", so now when I help out newbs and am asked how I could be repayed, I'll always say "Show some kindness to your fellow player, help them if they need you ^^ That is my reward :)"

d'awwwwwh! /mass huggles everyone!!! ; ; lol
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-06 03:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

yay cuddles!

edit: cuddles, huggles, whatever, I still get bewbs pressed against me
 Unicorn.Shimay
user: Shimay
By Unicorn.Shimay 2009-05-06 04:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

When i started to play.. one girl from my ls wasnt that nice to me.. she didnt told me when i asked her if she wanna have the yagudo necklaces.. that i could make a bit of gil with it.. she just tooked them w/o saying anything... and imo.. its isnt about giving noobs gil.. its about spend time with them..like lvl a low lvl job with them...i remember that some guys always said to me : oh well.. youre not 75.. so you cant go with us.. i was really often frustrated ;;
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-05-06 04:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Blazza: XD it's all about the boobs!
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-06 04:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shimay said:
When i started to play.. one girl from my ls wasnt that nice to me.. she didnt told me when i asked her if she wanna have the yagudo necklaces.. that i could make a bit of gil with it.. she just tooked them w/o saying anything... and imo.. its isnt about giving noobs gil.. its about spend time with them..like lvl a low lvl job with them...i remember that some guys always said to me : oh well.. youre not 75.. so you cant go with us.. i was really often frustrated ;;

I understand your pain. I remember being pre-75 in some situations all too well. As much as I got invited to some "75 ONRY" events more than a lot of people (and then was absolutely useless, but had a blast anyway) thanks to some awesome LS friends. There was also many a time I got the "sorry you can't come" speech. Once you hit 75 and finally do these events, you totally understand, but at the time blows big time.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-06 04:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a bit a help when I started mostly in advice. Like the leader of my first shell started with the jp release. And a real life friend somehow always had random nms pop around him back when they were worth something and he was one of the first people to discover how to garden elemental ore. SO he pimped my rdm out. Was awesome. I've done something I vowed id never do and ran people back through CoP missions... was going well until like the 2-3 of them kept n00bing it up. Ya know not farming the stuff for fights not having food/meds coming with weird *** subjobs aggroing everything not listening to instructions... bah but the others they did good taught them well. Now I teach people the great art of fishing... a craft so boring SE will never kill it so will always make moneys :)
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-06 04:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm constantly surprised by the type of player I encounter from the shell IAG. I haven't been disappointed in any that I've met. Keep up the good work guys!
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-06 05:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Shimay said:

I understand your pain. I remember being pre-75 in some situations all too well. As much as I got invited to some "75 ONRY" events more than a lot of people (and then was absolutely useless, but had a blast anyway) thanks to some awesome LS friends. There was also many a time I got the "sorry you can't come" speech. Once you hit 75 and finally do these events, you totally understand, but at the time blows big time.

For anyone who says you need to be 75 to do RoZ..
I barely did mine when I started at 65 xD
I know a lot of friends who did it and got sky at 55.
It really all depends on event anyways.
But yea, I agree. sometimes its better to be 75 for the good stuff.
I love events like namis and einherjar.
Im addicted to those 2 events the most, because I like to play my game according to how id play if I were inside the game >:o

Gotta have an imagination to have fun ^_^
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-06 05:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

There's just no point having sky until close to 75 these days, it used to be normal to get it as early as you mentioned because it was actually a common exp spot
 Unicorn.Shimay
user: Shimay
By Unicorn.Shimay 2009-05-06 06:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

it wasnt the point of events... they said it when there where farm...or idk.. camping some nms and ***... and doing ZM was a lot of fun (besides DM).. we did it with 4 mages lol.. 2x rdm, 1x whm and 1x blm. besides the bcnms (where we had a full normal pt) it was pretty fun..xD

And.. some ppl think. if they helped you when youre low lvl.. you MUST help them with EVERYTHING they want when youre then 75.. no thank you...i help ppl cause i like them.. and not cause they helped me out when i was a little rdm :p

@ Elkanah: you love dynamis??? O.o... its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring /doze
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-05-06 06:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely a good read here. I remember when I had first started; running through Sarutabaruta trying to kill things with my fist cause I didn't know how to equip a weapon at first. >.<

Got into a town and was looking for a place to buy spells when I came across this BLM in full AFv2. He talked with me for a bit, then after helping me get the hang of things, wished me good luck and headed off.

We all get caught up in our little routine of gameplay, but every now and then, that memory comes back to mind and I just run out to give a random person a hand. Feels pretty good too. ^^
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-06 06:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shimay said:
it wasnt the point of events... they said it when there where farm...or idk.. camping some nms and ***... and doing ZM was a lot of fun (besides DM).. we did it with 4 mages lol.. 2x rdm, 1x whm and 1x blm. besides the bcnms (where we had a full normal pt) it was pretty fun..xD

And.. some ppl think. if they helped you when youre low lvl.. you MUST help them with EVERYTHING they want when youre then 75.. no thank you...i help ppl cause i like them.. and not cause they helped me out when i was a little rdm :p

@ Elkanah: you love dynamis??? O.o... its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring /doze

Only 2 events I enjoy are Dynamis and Einherjar so far.
Cop is okay. Ive been disappointed with Cop so far since I hit Three paths.
ToAU I hit AM44 on when I was still RNG65.
And even that story line I was excited about.

Missions for windurst seem to show a lot of cover up and emo sides to the SMN story of the Great Taru who saved windurst.

I just think, for some things like Missions, even if it says you need x 75's to beat some NM's, i highly doubt that.

Most, if not all [correct me if im wrong] missions were all started and rank 10 introduced when the cap was still at Lv.50 or so.

So most of those can be duo'd or trio'd.

Dynamis, sky, and Ein take a few people to get down and dirty, and then zerg things til death lol.

So yea, Id say I have a lot of fun with those ^_^
First Page 2