Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » The Last Dance: Gearing Paradigms for a New Age
The Last Dance: Gearing Paradigms for a New Age
First Page 2 3 ... 79 80 81 ... 117 118 119
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-15 11:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't use wind thokchas in the first place, nor recommend them for anything.
By Jeville 2012-10-15 11:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Me neither. For the people who still insists on them would only "need" one with the gusty.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-15 11:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, Gusterion's incredible defensive boon but lacklustre offense make pairing it with another defensive dagger even less attractive than anyotherdagger/windthokcha.

You'll want to pair it with something as offensive as possible. fire thokcha, Twashtar, or Terpsichore (and the latter, as always, is pushing it).

I wouldn't pair it with Aluh.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-15 11:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't toss it if one fell to me, but I wouldn't make friends farm that NM for me either. If I had one, I'd probably offhand it on THF when I go THF/MNK to Salvage simply because I'm lazy. I mean, I sub Monk so I can take 10% less damage (Counter) and have more HP so I can alt-tab away longer after pulling trains of gears. When farming, I'm lazy's evolved form. This knife would definitely let me be more lazy, so I would use it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
Server: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-10-15 11:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it(Gusterion) could be interesting for DNC PvP, but I don't know overall how useful it would be. The proc rate would need to be VERY high for it to be more useful than having a -PDT, Mag. Eva, or +MDB dagger equipped.

I am generally unimpressed and not willing to gamble so much in PvP with Additional Effects with the exception of my +9 Silence dagger as that seems to go off enough to be annoying when I am on mage harassment duty. I have tried a couple different magian Additional Effect weapons to PvP with (Accuracy Down and Evasion Down) and they just don't proc enough to be all that relevant unless the battle drags on, and sadly in those two cases I have abilities and WS that overwrite or replace those effects.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-15 11:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

From my limited knowledge of PvP, I would think it would be pretty unhelpful.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-15 11:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That said, lolpvp.
By Jeville 2012-10-15 12:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

PvP has a lot of running around and magic shenanigans to deal with. Gusterion does have a high proc rate, but that should be the least of your worries if you and your opponent are not going to stand still for the entirety of the fight. When you two strayed off, the shadow (if proc'd) is only going to be on for five seconds (on top of not guaranteeing to be absorbed since it's a blink shadow).

tl;dr: I would think it would be pretty unhelpful.
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
Server: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-10-15 12:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah I didn't know that it wears off after five seconds. Boo!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-15 12:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's also not a copy image shadow, it's blink. There's a chance it won't proc. In the past Blink could absorb multi-hit attacks with one shadow similar to Seigan+3rd Eye, but I'm not sure that's true anymore.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2012-10-22 02:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question:

What do you guys think of DNC using thaumas coat and Calmecac Trousers while using Twashtar and Twilight Dagger? I'm just asking out of curiosity for other stuff like in dynamis soloing? I do have aluh dagger and am working on TP bonus dagger. I know that Dual-Wield +10% is better from charis body +2, but I wanted to ask if the above is alright just for having better odds of DA/TA/QA?

I would have capped haste but added a bit more chances to attack more than once

Apart from that, I'm considering in buying a rancor collar to rep charis neckless, although I don't like having the +10% dmg taken but what the hell :p. With that, it should do well while having Aftermath up, with some more rates to crit, do even more dmg

I am really amazed that although DNC attacks real fast, that I was messing around in dyna for a couple days trying out Rudra's storm when I recently got it, with Aftermath is just insane
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-22 02:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thaumas Coat only if you have marches or embrava AND haste.
Rancor Collar only if you have marches or embrava AND haste.
Calmecac are just bad.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2012-10-22 02:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Thaumas Coat only if you have marches or embrava AND haste.
Rancor Collar only if you have marches or embrava AND haste.
Calmecac are just bad.

So I guess that's a no :(

Not that I'm gonna use DNC in any of the big stuff like Voidwatch and such, but I'll keep that in mind. Thx Sylow!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-27 09:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the ideal Terpsichore/Twashtar TP set for double marches?
 Shiva.Vosslerr
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Vosslerr 2012-11-01 12:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Byrth, I was told ingame that Thaumas Coat would beat Saio for Exenterator. Based on this thread and comments made, I told him I disagreed but couldn't prove as I don't have either and don't use parses etc :). Care to share any math so I can pass the information along? I always credit you so don't worry. Thanks!
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 13:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
What's the ideal Terpsichore/Twashtar TP set for double marches?

Marches fall just shy of capping magic haste, right? I have an Embrava setup that trades a lot of haste but yeah.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-01 13:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Marches with G-horn and AF3+2 hands (with Haste spell) are over the magic Haste cap even without Marcato (470/1024, cap is 448).
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 13:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Dagger/dagger/~/hagneia
Khepri/rancor/brutal/grille+1
Thaumas/miodio/Rajas/epona
Atheling/windbuffet/etoile+2/thaumas

Should do it for you.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-01 13:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the emphasis on Multi-Attack wise given Terpsichore's AM3?

I guess I don't know what else we'd boost, so it's probably fine. Rancorous Mantle + Nefarious Collar? idk.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 13:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure. You have two daggers, and even double attack is an average hits per round increase on derpsichore.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 13:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus it's not like your offhand is a slouch to be ignored.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-01 13:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so Hagneia boosts me up to 5 TP/hit from 4.8 TP/hit, which shaves one hit off the trip to 100TP at the cost of 9 Attack (or 5 DEX and 5% crit damage).
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-01 14:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish that I could draw so I could make dancing panda art
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 14:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Okay, so Hagneia boosts me up to 5 TP/hit from 4.8 TP/hit, which shaves one hit off the trip to 100TP at the cost of 9 Attack (or 5 DEX and 5% crit damage).

It's better on paper as long as you aren't getting 5% critical from the feather, but I think we end up capping most things, especially with marches and khepri.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-01 15:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Vosslerr said: »
Hey Byrth, I was told ingame that Thaumas Coat would beat Saio for Exenterator. Based on this thread and comments made, I told him I disagreed but couldn't prove as I don't have either and don't use parses etc :). Care to share any math so I can pass the information along? I always credit you so don't worry. Thanks!

Since nobody reply to this guy,

Saio>Kudzu>Thaumas, source is spreadsheet

Download it, use it, love it, whenever you have gear question, this gives text book answer to everything.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 15:27:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Textbook answer isn't always perfect, particularly when dealing with TP sets due to the inherent issues of modeling overages.

DNC is lucky in that it can often dispose of overages in a useful manner, though.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-11-01 15:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Textbook answer isn't always perfect, particularly when dealing with TP sets due to the inherent issues of modeling overages.

DNC is lucky in that it can often dispose of overages in a useful manner, though.

He was asking purely about WS dmg though, there aren't a lot of outside factor affecting WS dmg no?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 15:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, was just mentioning it.
 Shiva.Vosslerr
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Vosslerr 2012-11-01 15:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

All right, thanks Afania :) and really I expected to be ignored by Sylow. Our opinions of each other aren't that great it seems.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-01 16:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't ignoring you, I'm just at work /on my iPad which makes addressing math difficult.

I don't really know who you are :p
First Page 2 3 ... 79 80 81 ... 117 118 119