Forum » FFXI » General » omg, im gonna be sick
omg, im gonna be sick
 Bahamut.Revision
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Carbon4
By Bahamut.Revision 2009-04-28 13:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Um, game caps at 56k so it doesn't matter what speed you have beyond that guys.
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-29 06:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Icon said:
Someone said something on this thread already that would lead someone to believe that playing with a dial up connection is not only possible, but will actually have minimal effect on game play. Where is it ...

Icon said:
FFXI is a great game for that aspect actually. The game is designed to play on a 56k connection which is why if you are on cable, dial up, or dsl you get the same experience. Kudos to SE for that one.

If you ever had a Motorola Razor, you know the thousands things you can do with it. I once played FFXI using my Razor as a modem. ^^ Speed was 14.4kbps, sure it lagged quite a bit, but still was playable. I only checked AH, and Mined while at it. Also the 2 times I have moved this past years, I had to play FFXI on Dial-up until I get DSL. Dial-up is ok for a While, just fear Version Updates.
 Asura.Icon
Server: Asura
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-29 07:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is the FFXI iPhone app? I wanna see the game played on AT&T's "GREAT" 3G network >.>
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-29 09:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Revision said:
Um, game caps at 56k so it doesn't matter what speed you have beyond that guys.

What matter is latency, and having DSL/Cable or FTTx line helps to reduce latency. Nobody cares about amount of bytes exchanged between you and the server, beside SE. Most of MMO out there barely download more than couple of KB/s in any given situation.

You gotta think about something : The more data your client download, the more data SE servers upload. That's why MMOs network code is optimized so your client doesn't suck bandwidth of the game service provider.

SE don't give a f**k about 56k users, however they care about their servers/wallet. The less data they send to you, the less $ you cost. Now in 2009 it's not a big deal, especially for a corporation like SE. Back in 2003 however :/
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-04-29 10:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to play on my cell back in like late 2004 cause my i canceled my internet and ended up having to stay later. Needless to say i lagged like a mf but it worked.
 Bismarck.Sithis
Server: Bismarck
user: Sithis
By Bismarck.Sithis 2009-04-30 06:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to resort to 56k once for a few weeks. It was honestly not bad once you got the game loaded.
 Ramuh.Jadell
user: jadell
By Ramuh.Jadell 2009-04-30 09:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope the closest I can get is dial up for the game. so far I have done campaign in East Ron [S]
The Eldime Necropolis [S] and Jugner Forest [S] on my RDM and WAR jobs. I have done limbus on my RDM.

I do not notice a major difference except that my S and R seem very consistent with each other now compared to when I had an air card connecting thru a router to cell tower service.

I think it is assine that I had dial up 15 years ago and my sister in law has DSL and she lives 2 miles away and yet they cannot provide to the entire area.

But it seems to be working ok for me. Is it my ideal choice no.... but it is my only choice.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-04-30 09:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Limbus is a rather low lag zone to begin with. Hard to beleive theres no issue in campaign unless there was hardly any mobs there. Ive seen plently of people lag majorly in there even with highspeed and good computers
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-30 10:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Jadell said:
I think it is assine that I had dial up 15 years ago and my sister in law has DSL and she lives 2 miles away and yet they cannot provide to the entire area.

Ya, I agree. Read an article about the Obama Stimulus, it included funds for the major ISP's to expand their high-speed networks and get it out to more rural areas...

ISP's said "Thanks, but no thanks, we'll do it when we feel like it." more or less...

WTF?? And they wonder why people generally hate them...(or not, honestly, they get our money either way >.<)
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-05-06 21:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Brahmdut said:
from what i understand i play on high speed dial up and then i use a wireless at max range and it works just fine when i do not d/c

i forgot to say .. my wireless modem on my desktop only let's me do 15mbps but with that i can stay on for hours or not connect for hours

but my laptop works perfectly with just 54mbps
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-05-06 21:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The game caps at 56k. I have played both using a PS2. There was no difference that I noticed. Besieged and everything was the same to me. Only time I noticed a game change was console change, not ISP speed changes. The ONLY DIFFERENCE is:

When somebody calls your house you WILL R0 until the person hangs up if you're using dial up. So when you randomly R0 down to 54% of so, then go back up to 100%, it has nothing to do with your speed. Someone is calling you.
 Cerberus.Savannah
Server: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-07 10:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
The game caps at 56k. I have played both using a PS2. There was no difference that I noticed. Besieged and everything was the same to me. Only time I noticed a game change was console change, not ISP speed changes. The ONLY DIFFERENCE is:

When somebody calls your house you WILL R0 until the person hangs up if you're using dial up. So when you randomly R0 down to 54% of so, then go back up to 100%, it has nothing to do with your speed. Someone is calling you.

^this
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-05-07 11:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh connection is never going to be perfect. I'm on Cable and it still sucks sometimes. Can't be helped. FFXI servers.
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-05-07 11:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

latency is the rly important thing here

56k wont hurt unless someone else is using your connection do to other ***at the same time, if you are doing nothing but ff its fine.