Consensus On Skill-up Food Items?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Consensus on Skill-up food items?
Consensus on Skill-up food items?
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-10-27 00:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all.

Got a question. Is anyone aware of any actual consensus that's been determined regarding the effect of the so-called "skill-up foods"?

Whenever I see small discussions about this topic, I generally just see a lot of back-and-forth "I noticed an increase in X when using Y food to skill-up my Z skill at level A".

There's little to no "evidence" in such discussions, and I'm unaware of any information out there that goes beyond plain vanilla anecdotes.

So, like I said, can anyone refer us to some data or a site/page that has information that transcends individual anecdotes?

Montagna
Saltena
Elshena
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-10-27 01:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It was posted by one of the dev people on the official forums that skillup enhancement is their hidden effect. It's very hard to actually tell that it's working to be quite frank.

So yeah, take that however you like.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-27 01:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen anything that empirically quantified the benefits of each individual food, much less the difference between each food within the relevant grouping.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-10-27 01:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »
It's very hard to actually tell that it's working to be quite frank.

I agree.
Hence my post above.

If nothing else, would like to hear if anyone has any information that goes beyond plain speculation.
 Quetzalcoatl.Palides
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Palides
By Quetzalcoatl.Palides 2011-10-27 01:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen said that any of what you are arguing about mattered.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-10-27 01:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Palides said: »

Huh?
[+]
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-10-27 01:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Palides said: »

Huh?
That's what I thought.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-10-27 03:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought 2 stacks once, and will probably be the last time I buy them, considering I still have 1.5 of those stacks rotting in my mog sack.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-10-27 03:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I was eatting pitaru in a worm party a few days ago and spamming stone trying to cap elemental from 361+. I made more skill ups when I wasn't under the effects of the food then when I was. I've also tried eatting saltena's and skilling melee at 320-350+, and I haven't noticed any significant change one way or the other. I'll finish what I have of the saltena's, but I'll not buy more, I threw the pitaru's away. My findings are small sample and eye balled, I in no way mean to pass them off as empirical fact. Also, I've had favorable results from using prouesse ring.
 Valefor.Lieniite
Server: Valefor
user: Lieniite
By Valefor.Lieniite 2011-10-27 04:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

When using food's I tend to see more .5's than lower skills, so i think that maybe it doesnt make you skill faster, just higher skills when you do?

But saying that I stuck to the up to 170 saltena and then elshena after that.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-10-27 09:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Lieniite said: »
When using food's I tend to see more .5's than lower skills, so i think that maybe it doesnt make you skill faster, just higher skills when you do?

Well, using my own small sample of "eyeballed" data, I'd say I agree with you. It does seem like the skill-up food increases the potency of each skill-up proc, rather than the raw frequency of skill-up procs.

That said, the whole reason I created this thread was to try to establish more of a consensus, rather than just conflicting personal anecdotes.

Any more contributions, FFXIAH Users?
 Fenrir.Yuriki
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2011-10-27 10:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you parse skill ups in K Parser? If so I'll test some food on parrying skill ups later today.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-10-27 10:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, using my own small sample of "eyeballed" data, I'd say I agree with you. It does seem like the skill-up food increases the potency of each skill-up proc, rather than the raw frequency of skill-up procs. That said, the whole reason I created this thread was to try to establish more of a consensus, rather than just conflicting personal anecdotes. Any more contributions, FFXIAH Users?

Have to agree, also eyeballing but you said you wanted the opinions from as many people as possible.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-10-27 10:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

They're divided up by skill level, I think. There's a thread on BG about it where I showed neither Elshena nor Saltena do anything for Parrying skillup rates (starting from 335 skill).
[+]
 Cerberus.Wojo
Server: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-10-27 10:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

When i'm skilling up and i'm missing because i have low skill, its actually better to eat accuracy food to increase my hit rate , thus providing more skillups. I suppose if i were looking to cap out a particular skill these food would be worthwhile.
 Cerberus.Caylene
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-10-27 13:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all.

Got a question. Is anyone aware of any actual consensus that's been determined regarding the effect of the so-called "skill-up foods"?

Whenever I see small discussions about this topic, I generally just see a lot of back-and-forth "I noticed an increase in X when using Y food to skill-up my Z skill at level A".

There's little to no "evidence" in such discussions, and I'm unaware of any information out there that goes beyond plain vanilla anecdotes.

So, like I said, can anyone refer us to some data or a site/page that has information that transcends individual anecdotes?

Montagna
Saltena
Elshena

Hello!
At first I shared your level of skepticism, but once I learned a few things about the foods, then I noticed a huge difference. So I say yes, absolutely, use them- properly. Just note the levels for each one. It helped me!
By Wilsor 2011-10-27 13:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been my experience with the food and prouesse ring as well. I see a lot more .4-.5s with them on, but not an actual increase in frequency.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2011-10-27 13:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Caylene said: »
Hi all.

Montagna
Saltena
Elshena

Hello!
At first I shared your level of skepticism, but once I learned a few things about the foods, then I noticed a huge difference. So I say yes, absolutely, use them- properly. Just note the levels for each one. It helped me!

Do you sell this food and hope to make a buck off it? Cause your post had no usefull information except 'use this item!'

Elana is asking for something a little more concrete than 'I was a skeptic and now I am a believer. You should be too!"
By Nabis 2011-10-27 14:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

hi all i started crafting about 3 weeks ago with about 1mil to my name.
i buy all my mats from npc/ah and i have reached 81 smithing using the "kitron macaron" getting 1 skill point for every stack of mats made me want to finish smithing and i now do not synth without them. GL to ya hope this helps

Edit: @ draugo if u dont want to use them i sure will 60-80k a stack i could use for mats

Edit#2: while i have crafted for about 3 weeks only using food i break only at the rate of 1/40 synths that are 5-7 lvls above my current lvl.
right now i am 81 making dark adaman ingots till 86 then turn those into sheets till 89. i can go 2-3 stacks with out 1 break and when i do break 7/10 i lose no mats
[+]