Help Me With Crafting Please!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Woodworking » Help me with Crafting please!
Help me with Crafting please!
 Sylph.Ixe
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2011-09-29 16:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So I keep asking what a break synth is because I keep hearing it from people leveling to 100.
Im told different variations of this.
Say I want to make something thats 93 WW with a subcraft of 40 Smithing.
My WW is 88
My Smithing is 2

CAN I still skill up on that synth even tho it will always break?
 Asura.Bluespoons
Server: Asura
By Asura.Bluespoons 2011-09-29 16:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You can still get skill ups off synths that break, but idk that you can even try the synth with smithing being so much lower than what is required.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-09-29 16:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Its been a while but if I recall correctly it wont let you attempt the synth due to smithing being too low.
 Asura.Bluespoons
Server: Asura
By Asura.Bluespoons 2011-09-29 16:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought so. I can't remember the exact level difference that is allowed when attempting a synth, but I definitely know that 38 levels is way too much.
 Phoenix.Anniel
Server: Phoenix
user: Anniel
By Phoenix.Anniel 2011-09-29 16:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think you will be allowed to synth it because your smithing skill is way underleveled.

You have a margin for breaks, in that example you gave us, that's your limit, 5 levels below cap you can get skill ups even if you break, if it was a level 94 synth and you being level 88, you wouldn't get skill ups on breaks, just on successful synths.

If your smithing was 35, you could potentially make it and get skillups on it too, but like I said, I don't think you are gonna be able to craft due to the reasons I mentioned above.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-09-29 17:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

on a side note, once i got to 88 ww I did cythara angelicas to 98. Lots of breaks, lots of money spent, but I made a lot of it back just NPCing the angelicas.
 Cerberus.Wojo
Server: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-09-29 17:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Break synthing was something that people did when the cost of a material was super high compared to the value of the product. I'm not sure which item you're trying to make but the main craft you're trying to level should be within 5 lvls (to get skillups on a break) and the subcraft should be about 15 levels below cap. This will cause you to break almost everything.

If the subcraft is below 15 levels under, you will not be allowed to try.

So if the recipee is 93 WW with a subcraft of 40 Smithing, you should start trying that at 88 WW and 25 Smithing.

Personally I didnt see any real advantage to break synthing since most materials are cheap now.
 Sylph.Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2011-09-29 17:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

With food when you break you lose less!

but ty for the info!!!!
 Sylph.Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2011-09-29 17:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

An Actual answer is nice for a change :)
 Sylph.Deathknight
By Sylph.Deathknight 2011-09-29 17:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wojo said: »
Break synthing was something that people did when the cost of a material was super high compared to the value of the product. I'm not sure which item you're trying to make but the main craft you're trying to level should be within 5 lvls (to get skillups on a break) and the subcraft should be about 15 levels below cap. This will cause you to break almost everything.

If the subcraft is below 15 levels under, you will not be allowed to try.

So if the recipee is 93 WW with a subcraft of 40 Smithing, you should start trying that at 88 WW and 25 Smithing.

Personally I didnt see any real advantage to break synthing since most materials are cheap now.

To expand, back in the day it was far less expensive to have even a chance at not losing some materials than to complete the synth.
 Cerberus.Wojo
Server: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-09-29 17:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you talking about Wyvern Spear? That synth seems god awful, but i'm no WW, i would love to have someone who has completed WW recently to weigh in.
 Leviathan.Alas
Server: Leviathan
user: alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-09-29 17:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, 15 level difference is the maximum allowed for level difference when synthing. This was typically used for main craft synth within 5 levels and subcraft at 6-15 levels difference.
As you probably know, the idea was to break and lose minimal mats with a chance of skillups. However with current material availability, this strategy has been relegated to obscurity.
Seek out the cheapest prices for your server and craft to break even or even make a profit on your way to Smithing 60. If attempting to hit WW 100 the idea is the same, go as cheap as possible and break your way to 100. GL.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.