Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Spellcast rules for using Dagan/Dagan Set
Spellcast rules for using Dagan/Dagan Set
 Bahamut.Chanelee
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-26 23:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking to receive the maximum benefit from Dagan to increase Max MP so I can get more from the WS. Also, what rules do I need to put in spellcast to equip max mp gear before the weaponskill goes off?
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: xMitosisx
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2011-09-26 23:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know anything about Dagan, so I'm going to leave the first part of your question alone. As for the second question, it would look like this...
Code
<if spell="Dagan">
<action type="equip" when="precast" set="whatever.set.you.want.to.use" />
</if>

This does just what it says. If you use Dagan, equip whatever set BEFORE [precast] dagan is used.

Just replace "whatever.set.you.want.to.use" with the actual name of the gear set you want to be wearing when using the WS.

Hope this helps.
 Cerberus.Caylene
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-09-27 08:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I think SC also allows "weaponskill=" rules?
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
user: xMitosisx
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2011-09-27 16:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Caylene said: »
I think SC also allows "weaponskill=" rules?

Not 100% about that, I've never wrote a rule formatted like that.

My rules normally looks something like...
Code
<if type="weaponskill">
	<if spell="Ukko's Fury">

etc, etc.
 Bahamut.Zellc
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-09-27 17:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm we will try both methods and see if they work. also she is looking for dagan item sets if any whms out there use anything specific.
 Cerberus.Caylene
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-09-27 19:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'd probably use whatever she uses for devotion. Just look for pieces that give mp and hp I'd suppose, since that's the purpose of the WS.
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-27 20:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The set works. My problem is while I'm engaged I don't want my club to change to Surya's Staff so I can keep my TP but when I'm disengaged, I would like it to use my Surya's Staff. How can I edit this to allow me to equip Surya's when I'm disengaged?

I'd also like to note that I currently Idle in Gambanteinn and augmented Genbu's Shield. I'm not sure if this has any effect on me changing to Surya's Staff when I'm disengaged.

Bahamut.Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-09-27 21:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

bump

this is driving us nuts :/
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-09-27 21:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

To the above: haven't used Spellcast in ageees but a few things I notice;

Quote:
<if advanced='"%status"="engaged"'>

Unsure if this works; probably does, but never how I did it. It doesn't have a </if> there though. It is never closed.

Quote:
/wait 1

Not sure if that would work in Spellcast. I believe Spellcast uses Pause x, where x is a number.

See if changing these things solves it - if not, it's a logical problem and needs more attention.
 Bahamut.Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-09-27 21:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

for the first part, it does work. it would equip the dd set.

as for the wait, we took that out first, and it did nothing.

i feel like this should allow her to change to her cure potency staff when she isnt engaged, but it doesnt. this is very weird
Code
<else>
  <action type="enable" slot="main|sub" />
</else>
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-27 21:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just wanted to add that I added the disable/enable rule, the rule already had a true lock. I took out the wait before I tested it and the club would still change to staff when I went to cure and I'd lose all my TP. So <if advanced="%status"="engaged"> always worked but Im pretty sure the true lock part of the rule never worked.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-09-27 22:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

<main lock="yes">Item</main>
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-27 22:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically I've tried:

Code
<if equipmain="Gambanteinn">
	<equip when="engaged">
		<main lock="true" />
	</equip>
</if>

Code
<if equipmain="Gambanteinn">
		<equip when="engaged">
			<main lock="yes">Gambanteinn</main>
		</equip>

Code
<if status="engaged" EquipMain="Gambanteinn"
                 <equip when="engaged">
                            <main lock="Gambanteinn" /><sub lock="Genbu's Shield" />
                        </equip>
                </if>

None of these are working me. When engaged and I hit cure, it still changes to staff and I lose all TP.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-09-27 22:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Need to close that if bracket in number 3.

Looking at my RDM spellcast, I had:
Code
        <if advanced='$Melee = 1'>
            <equip when="precast|midcast|aftercast|resting|idle|engaged">
                <main lock="yes" />
                <sub lock="yes" />
                <range lock="yes" />
                <ammo lock="yes" />
            </equip>
        </if>

and it always worked fine - though obviously you'd have to designate a variable to use it like this.
 Ragnarok.Naosuu
Server: Ragnarok
user: Naosu18
By Ragnarok.Naosuu 2011-09-27 23:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, I normally lurk but I couldn't help but notice this thread. ^^; I use Spellcast pretty extensively, so perhaps I can help.
Here's what I think isn't working: did you perhaps define Surya's staff in your FullMND set? That could be causing it to make your SC act weird. I've personally never played with the equipX rules, so I can't comment on those.
From my impression it sounds like you're making a multi-functional SC for WHM; something I've also yet to tackle myself. I'll offer my two cents, but I'm not sure if it'll work in practice.

My suggestions from my experience (manually equipping your Gambanteinn and Genbu's shield):

Here are my comments about your engaged rule for learning purposes.

I'm also not really sure what you're trying to do with the equipX rule for your Gambanteinn. My impression is you want it to change in when you automatically engage, or are you simply trying to lock it since it's changing out your main slot?
Regardless, here's my my suggestions if you're really dead-set on that equipX to change in your Gambanteinn<333 when you engage:

Hope this helps.
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-27 23:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. Thats what I get for using someone else's spellcast (because this is honestly way over my head, lol) I never paid attention to those rules before because I didnt have Gambanteinn so I just manually changed to a club or whatever and unloaded spellcast so that I didnt lose TP. But now I just want it to not change to staff when i go to cure while engaged then change to staff when i cure and im disengaged.

I will try what you suggested Naosuu, thanks!
 Bahamut.Carz
user: Carzz
By Bahamut.Carz 2011-09-28 00:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

why does everything have to be so complicated lol!!
why cant somethin simple like this work :/

<if status=engaged>
<equip when="precast|etc|etc">
<main lock="yes"/>
</equip>
</if>
 Ragnarok.Naosuu
user: Naosu18
By Ragnarok.Naosuu 2011-09-28 00:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It could simply be that %status is now outdated. When I started learning I learned it with <if status="blah"> and the <if spell"autoset">. I'm sure more stuff will come out.
If you still can't figure this out before your next event/whatever you're doing, you can comment out your rough work with <!-- blah blah -->. A bandaid solution would be to open your windower console and manually type in:
sc disable main
sc disable sub
(replace disable with enable when you're done)
... Instead of unloading your entire SC file. It does get rather annoying, especially with abyssea and procing, but at least you can still optimize your gear while you're procing.
Post back your results when you're done~ {I'm interested.} Us melee WHMs need to stick together :)
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-28 00:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats what Im trying to figure out Carz :( For some reason Gamban wont lock no matter what I do. Trying Naosuu's suggestions tomorrow and hope it works!
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-09-28 02:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish I could help you with Spellcast, but I personally don't use it, just some absurdly long macros =p

In terms of sets, there are definitely a ton of options for MP. 4/5 Orison +2 pieces carry +MP as does the Cape and Locket. If you a max MP set for idling in when you're topped off, I'd recommend switching into that just before. Pretty much, put on any piece of MP gear you can find just before you set of Dagan to maximize your MP returns (that's my understanding of the WS, honestly). Look for best of +MP in each slot and go from there.

An alternative is the Marduk Set from Salvage. You're looking at a +15% MP increase by wearing the whole set. Assuming you're a Taru, that's a pretty substantial boost to your MP pool just before Dagan goes off. Calculate the % and change gear pieces as needed to maximize your MP pool.

Though I am curious why use Dagan as a MP regeneration tool? Even with 2K MP, you're looking at a 300 MP return at 100% TP. I imagine Mystic Boon can give you those kinds of returns more often than not (if not higher). Though I don't own an 85 Ganbanteinn yet, I've always considered Dagan as a great HP tool instead, but that might be because of the fact I'm a Galka, lol~

Just curious, though.
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-28 02:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I've only had this emp for 2 days far. Just want to say the animation for the weaponskill is so cute!!!
Anyway, I mainly want to use as an MP regeneration tool because, specifically during voidwatch, I feel like it would be very useful when I don't have reliable Refresh 2/Ballad and I'm dumping MP at accelerated rates. So far, with the set I've started, I tested it on random mobs in Saroublahblah (area off port jeuno). My fiance followed me and cast that SCH TP regain spell on me while I killed random bats/***/goblins etc til I got 300 TP. Then I dumped my MP all the way down til I had 41 mp (random lowest dump number I got to spamming Cure IV/V/VI over and over). When I used Dagan I went from 41 MP to 476 MP with the set I created so far. I can post it later in the day when I'm more awake ^^
 Bahamut.Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-09-28 08:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »

Though I am curious why use Dagan as a MP regeneration tool? Even with 2K MP, you're looking at a 300 MP return at 100% TP. I imagine Mystic Boon can give you those kinds of returns more often than not (if not higher). Though I don't own an 85 Ganbanteinn yet, I've always considered Dagan as a great HP tool instead, but that might be because of the fact I'm a Galka, lol~

Just curious, though.

the emp club and staff are self target weaponskills. so you can engage and stand 30 yalms away from the mob and use it on yourself. whereas mystic boon requires the whm to be within 5 to use the ws on the mob. thats not somewhere a whm wants to be in a battlefield like voidwatch lol.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-09-28 10:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, well, that makes sense. I haven't done Voidwatch yet either (lack of time sucks), so I dunno what it's like compared to the newer end game content. I'm actually surprised you can get TP during that though. I understand there are a lot of Regain spells/songs/abilities now, but I swap weapons so often that even with Regain, I tend to not to keep TP for very long, lol.

Anyway, yeah, post a set when you can so we all know what you're working with and we'll see what advice is thrown out then =D
 Bahamut.Kazius
By Bahamut.Kazius 2011-09-28 13:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay I wrote up a fix for them, and they asked me to post here.

It's kinda a long-winded fix, but global lock rules always seem to mess up for me, and this way can't fail once done.
Code

<if status="engaged">
				<action type="equip" when="engaged|aftercast" set="DD">
					<main lock="yes">Gambanteinn</main>
					<sub lock="yes">Genbu's Shield</sub>					
				</action>
			</if>

That makes sure it's switching to the correct set, mainly on aftercast, when engaged

Code
	    <if Spell="Cure*|Cura*">
				<if status="engaged">
					<action type="equip" when="precast" set="FullMND"/>
				</if>
				<else>
					<equip when="precast" set="FullMND">
						<main>Surya's Staff +3</main>
						<sub>Reign Grip</sub>
					</equip>
				</else>
		</if>

This is what I had to write for each spell rule. Remove main/sub from each gear set, and paste them in the <else> section of the rule. This is basically only changing the main/sub slot when not engaged.

Am aware that this method is long-winded as you have to write it for each individual spell rule, but never fails and stuff. Enjoy
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-28 13:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It works! He's a genius!

Dagan set coming soon.
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-28 13:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my current set so far. I plan to get two MP rings like Star Ring and Ebullient Cape as well as the new ammo slot that has 45 MP on it. I also plan to replace bloodgem earring with gifted earring.

With this set, with 300 TP, I had 435 MP return when I used Dagan.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-09-28 14:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing a quick power search of the FFXIAH, I saw one piece of gear that might catch your fancy.

Adapa's slacks is a great +75MP leg piece

Also, if you don't mind losing a bit of HP, don't forget to look at Convert gear too. bifrost ring is a solid +70 MP for a ring slot. If you do Sky regularly, Zenith Gloves and Feet will also Convert 50 HP to MP as well.

Select pieces of Marduk set may give you more benefit too. Looking at the math, it seems like you have about 1242 MP. Marduk with that kind of pool may give you a slight boost. I wouldn't go out of my way to get Marduk if you don't already have it and not part of a Salvage set, however.

If I see more interesting pieces, I'll let you know too. ^_^
 Bahamut.Chanelee
By Bahamut.Chanelee 2011-09-28 14:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I was thinking of using Bifrost ring. I currently have Zenith Slacks somewhere in storage and I also have Marduk feet for my cure set. I'm not sure if MP+ 3% is greater than 30 MP giving on orison duckbills +2.

Those Adapa's slacks look great! I'll get some and try it out. :D Thanks!