First Page 2
 Fenrir.Divinian
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2011-09-18 08:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey there everyone,

I recently finished the Bri helms part of my almace and am starting to think of efficient ways to begin the next phase. With Bri, I fought all the NMs for KIs as they were easy to do and each was pop spawned.

I have been a little worried about Gukumatz and in a trial expedition last night, my fears were confirmed. He is obviously tightly camped. So, I am leaning toward starting each round with gold box farming for guku's KI and whichever KIs I am missing after I get it I will fight the NMs for them.

I appeal to you all with any experiences you can give. Does this seem like an efficient system for a lone dual-boxer? Have people found it easier to just camp Guk? Most importantly, I would love to hear about people's systems for obtaining Guku's KI from gold boxes from start to finish...specifically how did you cap amber most effectively and how long did it usually take get his KI, etc. I am looking for the quickest way to build sets within this framework.

More info: I am planning on charged whisker burn for chests with WHM support.

tl;dr: Looking for the most efficient (quickest) way to gold box farm Guk's KI from start to finish.
By Nevill 2011-09-18 08:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Camp Guku, kill in between pops for gold boxes
[+]
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2011-09-18 09:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevill said: »

Would you get amber before starting to farm KIs? If so, how did you do it? This would only be a good plan if you have the amber and pearl for boxes to drop...otherwise its basically just a straight camp of Guku. Please tell me more! Thanks.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-09-18 09:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jala can give 128 amber per kill.
Murex's can give 128 azure per kill.
At least on carbuncle. Usually 4 kills i have capped azure/amber.

When i did sobek i got 50% of my pops from chests, the other from camping guku.

Team up with someone for CC pops, you'll get alot of those. Can get full CC pops from chests.

For Sobek, i've never got a Minax KI in a chest, ever. Plan for that.

As for drop rate on KI... might not be to bad CW burning. Sometimes i've went in and got 2 or 3 KIs np, next time i'm spamming CC all night.
[+]
By Nevill 2011-09-18 09:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Divinian said: »

Would you get amber before starting to farm KIs? If so, how did you do it? This would only be a good plan if you have the amber and pearl for boxes to drop...otherwise its basically just a straight camp of Guku. Please tell me more! Thanks.

Yeah, just kill a couple of Jala beforehand.

Guku KI, in my experience, is slow about dropping from chests. So, what I would do if I was solo/dualboxing is camp Guku and kill lizards inbetween and hope you get lucky on a box.
By Zeyphr 2011-09-18 09:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Just kill 2 Jala's to cap Amber, 2 ele's for Azure and just pearl NMs.
Your best bet is to just kill Lizzard/Bugard NM (prefrably the buggard) since his KI cannot be obtained from a box, and just camp Guku when window open. You'll be lucky to get KIs to drop farming pop items and NMs.

Simply put, do both @ the same time lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2011-09-18 09:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said: »

Team up with someone for CC pops, you'll get alot of those. Can get full CC pops from chests.

As for drop rate on KI... might not be to bad CW burning. Sometimes i've went in and got 2 or 3 KIs np, next time i'm spamming CC all night.

Thanks so much! Very helpful post...I was going on an assumption I made that avatars only gave enhanced lights in visions zones as per Josiahfk's post on advanced abyssea lights. He stated that it only works in visions zones, but I know that that post was first originally written before we got the light tracker. Its good to know that it works in scars too.

About how long would it usually take you to get the KIs via gold box farming?
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-18 09:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ephemeral Murex, Ephemeral Amoeban and Jala are a great source of lights - Jala can give you 128 Amber?

This is a great source of what mob gives what lights in amounts.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Abyssea_Lights

But personally I would ideally go for 128 Azure & 255 Pearl/Amber.

Edit: I'm too slow.
 Bahamut.Kazius
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Kazius 2011-09-18 09:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I've farmed Sobek a fair bet, and luckily it's one of the easier zones to deal with. Eph. Murexes can give 128 azure, and the Leviathan-type mob Jala can give 128 amber, meaning you can cap both azure and amber in 4 kills.
When it was just me and dual boxed WHM, I'd caps those lights first while keeping an eye on Guku time of death (I usually miss the first 1-2 as i'm not prepared). Honestly by the time you've got the KIs for the other 2 NMs it's about time for Guku again. I usually could sustain my time inside from the TEs I'd get from farming molt scraps/bewitching tusk, which occasionally had a useful Guku or lizard KI which always saves a bit of time.
Honestly I'd focus on trying to claim Guku, some days you'll get 10 KIs from boxes and other days you'll get none.
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2011-09-18 09:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So, what I would do if I was solo/dualboxing is camp Guku and kill lizards inbetween and hope you get lucky on a box.

Zeyphr said: »
Simply put, do both @ the same time lol

Thanks, this does sound like the most efficient way.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-18 09:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dirtyfinger said: »
Ephemeral Murex, Ephemeral Amoeban and Jala are a great source of lights - Jala can give you 128 Amber?

I think you mean 255 azure + amber and 128 pearl.
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-09-18 09:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said: »

Thanks so much! Very helpful post...I was going on an assumption I made that avatars only gave enhanced lights in visions zones as per Josiahfk's post on advanced abyssea lights. He stated that it only works in visions zones, but I know that that post was first originally written before we got the light tracker. Its good to know that it works in scars too.

About how long would it usually take you to get the KIs via gold box farming?

Random, some nights i'll get 2-3 guku KI's in 2 hrs, next night i'll get 1 guku and 4 CC pop sets. I just kill with nin,dnc,thf though. CW'ing might yield better.
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-09-18 09:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »

I think you mean 255 azure + amber and 128 pearl.

128 Azure will give TE, and you'll get more Gold Chests with capped amber.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-18 09:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Who said anything about less than cap amber I said 255 for that, I was correcting the 255 pearl advice you dont need this much, ive always done 255 amber 255 azure 128ish pearl.
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-09-18 09:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Who said anything about less than cap amber I said 255 for that, I was correcting the 255 pearl advice you dont need this much, ive always done 255 amber 255 azure 128ish pearl.

? what are you talking about?

edit: Pearl increases drop rate on chests btw, with new update capped pearl isn't needed, but lots of ppl still like it capped.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-18 09:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Learn to read if youre gonna respond. The original advice from Dirtyfinger was 128 azure and 255 amber and pearl. Why would you leave azure at 128 firstly when its so easy to cap, and why put pearl to 255 unncessarily wasting time killing nms or finding vnms where 128ish pearl is more than enough. Ive always done 255 azure and amber and 128ish pearl. So I have no idea why you responded with :

"128 Azure will give TE, and you'll get more Gold Chests with capped amber. "

I didnt say anything less than capped amber, im just saying 255 pearl is unnecssary, youre saying 255 azure is unnecessary but thats much easier to get. Dual box he will waste more time capping pearl b4 cleaving most likely than what its worth.
By Entourage 2011-09-18 09:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I did 30 skins last night (18 5 man, 12 dbox). Go in, Holy kill Murex at spiders, holy kill Murex at Lizards = 255 Azure. Cataclysm Jala at Lizards = 128 Amber.

Camp Guku in window, kill Lizards in between windows for Pearl/TEs/Gold Chests. Once everyone has Guku KI, do yours rounds getting the others -> pop Sobek.

Re-up time if you get too low but don't stress TEs too much, it takes all of 5 minutes to get your azure and amber again.

Really sobek is a joke. Be pro at claiming against the shout groups and you'll do fine. If you're up against a known LS you're in for trouble.

edit: ignore the people talking about specific light counts for better Gold Box drop rate blah blah. I ruby to my hearts content. Just get TEs and you'll be good. If you plan to only get your Guku's from chests you're doing it wrong. Any chest KI is just an added bonus to speed it up, not to be relied on.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-09-18 09:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Learn to read if youre gonna respond. The original advice from Dirtyfinger was 128 azure and 255 amber and pearl. Why would you leave azure at 128 firstly when its so easy to cap, and why put pearl to 255 unncessarily wasting time killing nms or finding vnms where 128ish pearl is more than enough. Ive always done 255 azure and amber and 128ish pearl. So I have no idea why you responded with :

"128 Azure will give TE, and you'll get more Gold Chests with capped amber. "

I didnt say anything less than capped amber, im just saying 255 pearl is unnecssary, youre saying 255 azure is unnecessary but thats much easier to get. Dual box he will waste more time capping pearl b4 cleaving most likely than what its worth.

Yes, capped azure is easy to get. But capped azure will give you more blue chests. 128 azure, 255 amber will give high % of gold chests. Don't see why that is hard to understand. With abyssites that mod your azure chests you don't need 255, it just eats up more gold chests drops.

I haven't done this before, but it makes sense why to balance lights like that.

For CW burning, ya capped pearl would be alot of work duo. 128 should be lots.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-18 09:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you leave azure at 128 firstly when its so easy to cap

Anything over 128 increases the frequency of the chest, which we don't want if we're farming for Gold Chests ya?

Edit: 128 caps potency, anything over increases the frequency of the chest.

Try it for yourself, Get 255 Amber, 128 Azure and whatever Pearl you wish, find a set of mobs that are squishy and link but don't give Ruby then Fell Cleave the *** out of them.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-18 09:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but you dont need waste time on 255 pearl is my point, I only know cos I solo blu cleave alot, and I know its good advice to tell someone not to waste their time taking pearl to cap. Partly depends how good you are at finding and popping t1 vnms. For me azure in miseraux yesterday on blu took 9mins, amber 15mins then it took me 30mins alone to get 128 pearl. At which point im usually like fk this and start cleaving and I always have a good chest count anything above 120ish pearl.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-18 09:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Your question was why would anyone not want to cap Azure when farming Gold Chest.
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-09-18 09:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but you dont need waste time on 255 pearl is my point, I only know cos I solo blu cleave alot, and I know its good advice to tell someone not to waste their time taking pearl to cap. Partly depends how good you are at finding and popping t1 vnms. For me azure in miseraux yesterday on blu took 9mins, amber 15mins then it took me 30mins alone to get 128 pearl. At which point im usually like fk this and start cleaving and I always have a good chest count anything above 120ish pearl.

Makes sense.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-18 09:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you leave azure at 128 firstly when its so easy to cap

Anything over 128 increases the frequency of the chest, which we don't want if we're farming for Gold Chests ya?

Edit: 128 caps potency, anything over increases the frequency of the chest.

Try it for yourself, Get 255 Amber, 128 Azure and whatever Pearl you wish, find a set of mobs that are squishy and link but don't give Ruby then Fell Cleave the *** out of them.

I always thought azure was purely chest quality not quantity, and on the whole pearl lights would pop more blue chests over gold. Ive always done 255 azure 128ish pearl and 255 amber when cleaving and get a very good gold chest to blue chest ratio.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-18 09:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Your question was why would anyone not want to cap Azure when farming Gold Chest.

No it wasnt, not at all dont change it, I said why would you goto all the trouble of capping pearl but leave azure 128/255 when it caps in 4 kills.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-18 09:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Just do it like these guys:

[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-18 09:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

As regards this zone in specific, best way to build lights solo imo is to exit base camp and use the murex camp just outside to build azure on the ephemeral and possibly pearl the non ephemeral murex. Takes 9mins ish 3 repops (4 kills) to cap azure assuming you want it capped. Then goto flux 8 mandies usually always a Jala there or around colibri north of flux 4 for amber. All the while trying to hunt vnms for pearl. This zone is easily one of the best for building lights fast.
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2011-09-18 10:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Entourage said: »
If you plan to only get your Guku's from chests you're doing it wrong. Any chest KI is just an added bonus to speed it up, not to be relied on.

The only problem I see with camping Guku is that it is only a % chance that I will get claim...even if I was the best person at claiming, there is still a good chance that someone else will get it, especially when the zone is full. I do, think, however, that camping and gold chest farming together will be the way I do this.
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2011-09-18 10:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Entourage said: »
If you plan to only get your Guku's from chests you're doing it wrong. Any chest KI is just an added bonus to speed it up, not to be relied on.

The only problem I see with camping Guku is that it is only a % chance that I will get claim...even if I was the best person at claiming, there is still a good chance that someone else will get it, especially when the zone is full. I do, think, however, that camping and gold chest farming together will be the way I do this.

Don't know why this didn't come to my mind before though...blu CW won't work then ; ;. Guess I was subconsciously dreaming of a job change in the field, lol. Guess its gonna have to be one mob at a time... T_T
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-09-28 23:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

wow my IQ just dropped 100 pts reading this. Just listen to what Entourage said /thread
[+]
First Page 2