Fellow North Carolinian Voters ...

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » fellow North Carolinian voters ...
fellow North Carolinian voters ...
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-09-14 14:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
What I'm saying is: No more state issued marriage certificates. And in the eyes of the law, no more benefits or special cases for "married" people. The state would no longer marry people, and nullify all existing state issued marriage licenses. Therefore, the only people getting married would be the ones going to churches to do this. But in the eyes of the law, it wouldn't DO anything, just abide to their church "laws". Would people still care about getting married? (That's what I meant by "government takes its hands out of marriage" completely in my second post)
I can't speak for everyone but If Churches were the only people allowed to marry anyone and the gov't did not recognize those marraiges then I would say there would no longer be an issue.

I don't see how this is relevant though as this is an imaginary argument as it will never come to pass.

It's not imaginary if the vast majority of people start viewing it this way. If more and more people start thinking this way, then eventually the law would be changed to reflect it, and maybe sometime in my lifetime I'll be able to see government's hands out of marriage.

I truly believe the root of the problem is the fact that government and the law have gotten entangled in this marriage mess. I just want to address the root of the problem, not these silly little surface problems.
 Bahamut.Attribute
Server: Bahamut
user: XGP0001
By Bahamut.Attribute 2011-09-14 14:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

All in all, I just don't believe its right and moral. Nor do I think it will ever nationally be legal. Some states will approve it eventually yes but I don't think all states ever will.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-09-14 14:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Not allowing gay marriage is something I'll probably never understand. The way I see is, gays are people and have the same rights as people. They have the right to marry just like anyone else has the right to marry.

What I don't understand is why people that are not affected by it are so upset by it. It's an 'I'm not gay, therefore gay marriage doesn't really affect me, therefore why should I be offended if they get married' type of thing.

If you don't like beets, don't eat beets.
If you don't like abortions, don't get an abortion.
If you don't like hip hop music, don't listen to hip hop music.
If you don't like marijuana, don't use marijuana.
If you don't like flip flops, don't wear flip flops.
If you don't like religion, don't go to church.
If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

That seems so easy to me, but so many people just can't get a grasp on it. :-(
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-09-14 14:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I am a religious person and I agree 100% Elana. I hate the people that say things like God loves all of his children, and then turn around and act as if gay/lesbian individuals are lesser beings.

It's hypocrisy, and it makes me sick. I live in South Carolina, so sadly I can't help with the vote. I do hope people vote no.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-09-14 14:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Valflux said: »
In response to the other comments here, you cannot assume that gay people wouldn't want to get "married" if there weren't legal benefits involved. Personally, I'm somewhat of an atheist, but other gay men and women world-wide are devout practitioners of virtually any and every religion. I would propose that the same % of straight men and women who practice Christianity directly correlates to the % of gay men and women who do as well. It is their belief that they are not sinners, they do not believe that the fundamentals of Christianity condemn them, and they believe in the holy sacrament of marriage just as any other Christian does. The religious aspects of marriage are just as important to them, if not more so, than the legal aspects.

That's fine. Mormons can marry 20 people for all I care. Just don't expect to go to any run of the mill Christian church and demand to be married. Just like you wouldn't go to any run of the mill Islamic church and start talking about how Jesus is so much better than Mohammad.

When you find a church that accepts homosexual marriage, by all means, get married. I just don't want marriage to have any part in state affairs.
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-09-14 14:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said: »
Not allowing gay marriage is something I'll probably never understand. The way I see is, gays are people and have the same rights as people. They have the right to marry just like anyone else has the right to marry.

What I don't understand is why people that are not affected by it are so upset by it. It's an 'I'm not gay, therefore gay marriage doesn't really affect me, therefore why should I be offended if they get married' type of thing.

If you don't like beets, don't eat beets.
If you don't like abortions, don't get an abortion.
If you don't like hip hop music, don't listen to hip hop music.
If you don't like marijuana, don't use marijuana.
If you don't like flip flops, don't wear flip flops.
If you don't like religion, don't go to church.
If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

That seems so easy to me, but so many people just can't get a grasp on it. :-(

I have nothing against gay people joining together, but the term 'marriage' means something different to me. It's not so much about equality in why I disagree with it, but more about using the wrong definition for something. It might be an archaic view and I wouldn't push said view on anyone, but I find it very hard to stomach gay 'marriage' not a lifetime partnership with a same sex individual.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-09-14 14:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
What I don't understand is why people that are not affected by it are so upset by it.

Checkmate.
[+]
 Sylph.Biginallways
Server: Sylph
user: Biggie87
By Sylph.Biginallways 2011-09-14 14:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny, I only started reading this thread b/c I live in North Carolina. Gay marriage isn't harming anyone, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

Side note: GO TARHEELS!
[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Server: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-09-14 14:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

In response to the other comments here, you cannot assume that gay people wouldn't want to get "married" if there weren't legal benefits involved. Personally, I'm somewhat of an atheist, but other gay men and women world-wide are devout practitioners of virtually any and every religion. I would propose that the same % of straight men and women who practice Christianity directly correlates to the % of gay men and women who do as well. It is their belief that they are not sinners, they do not believe that the fundamentals of Christianity condemn them, and they believe in the holy sacrament of marriage just as any other Christian does. The religious aspects of marriage are just as important to them, if not more so, than the legal aspects.

That's fine. Mormons can marry 20 people for all I care. Just don't expect to go to any run of the mill Christian church and demand to be married. Just like you wouldn't go to any run of the mill Islamic church and start talking about how Jesus is so much better than Mohammad.

When you find a church that accepts homosexual marriage, by all means, get married. I just don't want marriage to have any part in state affairs.

off topic little fun fact:
jesus is mentioned more times than mohammad in the qu'ran
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 14:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Quote:
Getting married in the church is just a faith thing.
Only partially true. I know in Pennsylvania, at least, you get issued your marriage license, but you still need to have a ceremony performed by an official recognized by the state to perform the ceremony. This can be a magistrate or other, similar government official, or it can be a member of the clergy from mostly any recognized religious order. I believe they need to sign off on the certificate, as well as another witness. (Some of this may be off, it's been a while since I checked out the rules.) Most places also don't allow for common law marriages anymore, either. (I know we certainly don't here in Pennsylvania. My "partner" (girlfriend, wife, fiance, whatever; we're officially in an "engaged" status to the world at large) and I have been together for nearly 14 years and we've been living together for 10 -- four years in college and "legally" (registered voters/taxable at the same address) for six. We receive no benefits from the government or our employers (well, they're one in the same, we're both state employees) despite being far more insperable than most other couples, married or no. And ultimately, my guess is that politicians who are against gay marriage or similar domestic partnerships are against it for financial reasons, and just beat the morality drum in order to gain support.
Quote:
why not make meth legal to make the junkies happy
Why not indeed? Though this is not a topic for this thread. (Edits were used in the making of this post.)
The point is that you don't have to get married in a Church to be recognized by the state. You can be married by the church and be recognized by the state but it is not a necessity. Churches do not own Marraige. Holy matrimony is a sacrament.

Take for example, my brother recently got married outside of the church by a reverend. My family is Catholic and in order for this marraige to be recognized by the Church he actually has to be married by a preist in a Church (as we could not find one to come outside a Church to marry him and his wife). They are completely seperate and while a Preist may be recognized as an official to marry someone legally so is one of my friends who took a 10 minute online certification and then performed the ceremony for one of his friends (married them).

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 14:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Attribute said: »
All in all, I just don't believe its right and moral. Nor do I think it will ever nationally be legal. Some states will approve it eventually yes but I don't think all states ever will.
Why do you think it is not moral? What makes something like this immoral?
 Carbuncle.Valflux
user: Valflux
By Carbuncle.Valflux 2011-09-14 14:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is that NC, and many states like it, already have laws on the books that prevent churches that are willing to marry gay couples from doing so. Even though you can't get married here as a gay couple, you can in other states, and according to the current constitution in NC those marriages are perfectly valid. The idea of the amendment is that not only is it ILLEGAL for those churches in NC to marry same-sex couples, but it's also illegal for anyone to accept the marriage as valid. There's nothing correct about this amendment; regardless of the position you look at it from, it's a direct attempt at devaluing individuals and making it completely illegal for anyone to accept them as equal members of society. Why? No one knows, or at least they aren't willing to say it out loud.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 14:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What I'm saying is: No more state issued marriage certificates. And in the eyes of the law, no more benefits or special cases for "married" people. The state would no longer marry people, and nullify all existing state issued marriage licenses. Therefore, the only people getting married would be the ones going to churches to do this. But in the eyes of the law, it wouldn't DO anything, just abide to their church "laws". Would people still care about getting married? (That's what I meant by "government takes its hands out of marriage" completely in my second post)
I can't speak for everyone but If Churches were the only people allowed to marry anyone and the gov't did not recognize those marraiges then I would say there would no longer be an issue. I don't see how this is relevant though as this is an imaginary argument as it will never come to pass.
It's not imaginary if the vast majority of people start viewing it this way. If more and more people start thinking this way, then eventually the law would be changed to reflect it, and maybe sometime in my lifetime I'll be able to see government's hands out of marriage. I truly believe the root of the problem is the fact that government and the law have gotten entangled in this marriage mess. I just want to address the root of the problem, not these silly little surface problems.
So what then... you think the Church should have a monopoly on Marraige?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 14:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said: »
I am a religious person and I agree 100% Elana. I hate the people that say things like God loves all of his children, and then turn around and act as if gay/lesbian individuals are lesser beings. It's hypocrisy, and it makes me sick. I live in South Carolina, so sadly I can't help with the vote. I do hope people vote no.
Don't forget that God made all of us in his image as well.
 Bahamut.Enkidou
Server: Bahamut
user: jamisont
By Bahamut.Enkidou 2011-09-14 14:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Biginallways said: »

Side note: GO TARHEELS WOLFPACK!
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-09-14 14:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Carbuncle.Flionheart said: »
I find it very hard to stomach gay 'marriage' not a lifetime partnership with a same sex individual.

I know it's your opinion, but if we set a clear definition of marriage, it being between simply between 2 humans, there is no problem.

Then we could just use the terms "Heterosexual marriage" or "Homosexual marriage" if we want to be specific.

That's what I mean though, I personally find it hard to stomach, but I also agree with equality.

Therefore I simply wouldn't vote due to having conflicting feelings on the subject.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 14:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said: »
Not allowing gay marriage is something I'll probably never understand. The way I see is, gays are people and have the same rights as people. They have the right to marry just like anyone else has the right to marry. What I don't understand is why people that are not affected by it are so upset by it. It's an 'I'm not gay, therefore gay marriage doesn't really affect me, therefore why should I be offended if they get married' type of thing. If you don't like beets, don't eat beets. If you don't like abortions, don't get an abortion. If you don't like hip hop music, don't listen to hip hop music. If you don't like marijuana, don't use marijuana. If you don't like flip flops, don't wear flip flops. If you don't like religion, don't go to church. If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one. That seems so easy to me, but so many people just can't get a grasp on it. :-(
I have nothing against gay people joining together, but the term 'marriage' means something different to me. It's not so much about equality in why I disagree with it, but more about using the wrong definition for something. It might be an archaic view and I wouldn't push said view on anyone, but I find it very hard to stomach gay 'marriage' not a lifetime partnership with a same sex individual.
I can see your stance on that for marraige within the chruch but I can not see it for marraige recognized by my government.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-09-14 14:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't speak for everyone but If Churches were the only people allowed to marry anyone and the gov't did not recognize those marraiges then I would say there would no longer be an issue. I don't see how this is relevant though as this is an imaginary argument as it will never come to pass.
It's not imaginary if the vast majority of people start viewing it this way. If more and more people start thinking this way, then eventually the law would be changed to reflect it, and maybe sometime in my lifetime I'll be able to see government's hands out of marriage. I truly believe the root of the problem is the fact that government and the law have gotten entangled in this marriage mess. I just want to address the root of the problem, not these silly little surface problems.

Sure, and people can make their own churches or private communities and claim that they "marry" people. The fact of the matter would be that "marriage" doesn't mean anything except to the people who do it.

It's like you colored inside the lines in 1st grade and got a shiny star!

Should 1st grade teachers have a monopoly on giving out shiny stars???
 Caitsith.Zahrah
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2011-09-14 14:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it very hard to stomach gay 'marriage' not a lifetime partnership with a same sex individual.

I know it's your opinion, but if we set a clear definition of marriage, it being between simply between 2 humans, there is no problem.

Then we could just use the terms "Heterosexual marriage" or "Homosexual marriage" if we want to be specific.

That's what I mean though, I personally find it hard to stomach, but I also agree with equality.

Therefore I simply wouldn't vote due to having conflicting feelings on the subject.

I'm going to have to agree with Flion here. There are heterosexual couples with children who practice co-habitation. I kind of see gay "marriage" as legally recognized co-habitation.

Marriage, fundamentally, was religious. It's hard for me to separate the religious conotations. That's could just be me being old-fashioned though.

EDIT: I'm very pleased with homosexual couples who adopt. Every child deserves a home.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-09-14 14:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
]

I don't care if you're conservative or liberal, religious or nonreligious, straight or gay, black or white, man or woman, old or young .... discrimination has no place in the Constitution, period.

We're better than that North Carolinians, and I expect you to prove it by voting "No" on this issue in May.

or, y'know, i could evaluate the facts and formulate my own opinion instead of parroting yours

not too worried about what you "expect"

if you're trying to get the word out, that's the wrong tone to take
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 14:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, and people can make their own churches or private communities and claim that they "marry" people. The fact of the matter would be that "marriage" doesn't mean anything except to the people who do it. It's like you colored inside the lines in 1st grade and got a shiny star! Should 1st grade teachers have a monopoly on giving out shiny stars???
So basically you don't care if anyone gets married to anyone or how they do it, you just want the government out of it and for there to be no benefits provided?
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-09-14 14:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

I'm going to have to agree with Flion here. There are heterosexual couples with children who practice co-habitation. I kind of see gay "marriage" as legally recognized co-habitation.

Marriage, fundamentally, was religious. It's hard for me to separate the religious conotations. That's could just be me being old-fashioned though.

I have no doubt it's me being old fashioned. Sadly I was raised in a very old fashioned manner. I see striking a woman as really terrible crime, and still act on chivalry etc.

I remember a while back there was a thread on here discussing whether it was ok or not to hit a woman, and my view on the matter (That it's not in nearly any circumstance) was in the minority. At that point I realised that I had a very 'old fashioned' upbringing.
 Carbuncle.Valflux
user: Valflux
By Carbuncle.Valflux 2011-09-14 14:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue with your reasoning here is that you're assuming that your religious beliefs are the same as the rest of the world utilizing the term and ceremony of marriage. Within the Christian faith, for example, there are something like 100 different sects. Some of which abhor homosexuality; others, however, do not. All of them observe the sacrament of marriage though. Are you saying that your beliefs and the beliefs of your religious sect are greater than or more important than the beliefs of others?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 14:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it's your opinion, but if we set a clear definition of marriage, it being between simply between 2 humans, there is no problem. Then we could just use the terms "Heterosexual marriage" or "Homosexual marriage" if we want to be specific.
That's what I mean though, I personally find it hard to stomach, but I also agree with equality. Therefore I simply wouldn't vote due to having conflicting feelings on the subject.
I'm going to have to agree with Flion here. There are heterosexual couples with children who practice co-habitation. I kind of see gay "marriage" as legally recognized co-habitation. Marriage, fundamentally, was religious. It's hard for me to separate the religious conotations. That's could just be me being old-fashioned though. EDIT: I'm very pleased with homosexual couples who adopt. Every child deserves a home.
I can't say I know the origins of marraige but even if its origins come from religion it does not make it solely for religion. Especially not so if it is recognized by the government. Marriage practiced by the government is not accepted by the church (catholic at least can't speak for the others) while the government would accept that marraige you actually have to be married in a church for the church to accept it.

I don't get where the confusion comes in about this being seperate. Also, if people want their marraige to be solely a thing represented by the church then they should not receive a special status via the government as well. Everyone wants to have their cake, eat it and then deicide who does and who doesn't get cake.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2011-09-14 14:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue with your reasoning here is that you're assuming that your religious beliefs are the same as the rest of the world utilizing the term and ceremony of marriage. Within the Christian faith, for example, there are something like 100 different sects. Some of which abhor homosexuality; others, however, do not. All of them observe the sacrament of marriage though. Are you saying that your beliefs and the beliefs of your religious sect are greater than or more important than the beliefs of others?

The problem is you assume I'm religious. :)

According to laws in Texas my last boyfriend and I lived together long enough to be considered common-law married, but the fact is we were not "married".

EDIT: When we separated I could have easily claimed a portion of his property. Could we claim the tax benefits of being legally married? No.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-09-14 14:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the main issue I have with the view that marriage is religious and homosexuality is not so therefore churches shouldn't have to marry gays is that no one cares if atheist couples get married. If marriage is a church or religion sanctioned thing only, then only religious people could get married. That becomes a slippery slope fast, because then it could turn into only people from this religion can get married, then only people from this sect of this religion.

That might not make sense to anyone else though. xD My fingers are having a hard time typing up what my brain wants to say.
 Cerberus.Wojo
Server: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-09-14 15:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Flion and Mahayaya

There is a seperation of church and state in the United States of America.

What?!

Please explain why I cant get a beer in Utah then.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 15:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is you assume I'm religious. :) According to laws in Texas my last boyfriend and I lived together long enough to be considered common-law married, but the fact is we were not "married". EDIT: When we separated I could have easily claimed a portion of his property. Could we claim the tax benefits of being legally married? No.
From previous conversations I thought I had read that you were agnostic.

I guess I don't understand why you bring up common-law marriage. You weren't legally married so of course you couldn't claim the tax benefits.