users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Sea/Limbus » Magic Damage Taken down question
Magic Damage Taken down question
 Ragnarok.Baconweave
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Baconweave 2011-09-05 12:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Would Minerva's ring be a good choice to mix in a MDT set for Tiamat or fire resist still better while in flight?
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-05 12:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a Fire based aoe attack, fairly certain +/- pdt wouldnt matter, depends what job ur tanking it on but minerva's is a useful ring. Ideally it would be defending ring and shadow ring, allowing you to cap mdt whilst still maximizing haste and mdb but pre dring a 5-6 mdt dark ring and 8 mdt minerva's will contribute to a decent chunk of your required mdt. As for a mob as old as tiamat any job in a mdt set and barfire could take minimal damage when its airborne, buying fire resist gear for this definitely is not needed. Having said that there is one piece id use suzy feet augmented with + mdb.

Feet +2haste +2mdb

This is what I used this weekend just gone when tanking an airborne Wyrm Ks99.
wiki :
The Wyrm will take flight when it goes below 66% HP and will stay up until it gets down below 33% HP. While in the air, it will not use Dragon Breath, Absolute Terror, Horrid Roar or Spike Flail, but it gains the use of
"Flame Blast - 35' AoE Fire damage (~900 before reductions).
While in the air, its normal attacks will look like a fireball coming from its mouth, and will do Fire damage (~325 per hit before reductions) instead of physical damage.
~220 total Fire resistance (from gear, Carol and Barspell) is enough to usually reduce its normal attack to ~12 damage, and also dramatically reduce Flame Blast damage.
329 total Fire resistance from gear, Carol, Barfira, and Shell5 was able to reduce its normal attack in the air to 0 damage. It was also able to nearly nullify its flame blast damage
Magic, Ranged Attacks, Chi Blast, Jump, High Jump, and Avatars can damage it quite well while it is in the air. Melee attacks will not work. "
And still took next to 0 dmg.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-09-05 12:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure a straight up fire resist set is more effective.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-05 12:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Not necessary when fire resist only works for one element mdt is sufficient esp for older content like tiamat.
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-05 12:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

he did specifically say tiamat dood
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-09-05 12:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

We are talking Tiamat. And in her case, resist is better. I don't recall reading "what's good for Tiamat that I could use on other things as well"
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-05 12:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So tanks still carry elemental resist builds? Thought only Pimpchan still did this. With minimal space both overall and inventory for pld wouldnt something like this be sufficient...

Or dring/shadow ring. Would carrying full elemental resist sets still be worthwhile? I know he didnt say whats good for Tiamat whilst having other uses too but Tiamat isnt that hard to begin and idk myself weather it would be worthwhile carrying elemental resistance builds.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-05 12:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The only elemental resist build I carry and find worth doing is fire.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-05 12:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Made me look up a few pieces myself see if ill bother then too. Apparenly touchdown is magical tp move too although I cant seem to find which element I actually thought It was physical and swapped out mdt to remove minerva's just before it landed.
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-09-05 13:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

A single element resist set works on different mechanics than a mdt down set. As mdt is capped fairly quickly, an elemental resist set has higher potential damage prevented. It may not be worth the extra inventory depending on how hard the content is though.
 Odin.Zelphes
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2011-09-05 13:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with the others here on using a full-blown Firekit for tiamat, especially if you plan on farming it frequently. Should aim for 300+ in gear/spells.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-05 13:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm idk still, so youre saying you would change that bottom pld build (with dring/shadow ring and maybe cerb+1) for tanking an airborne tiamat if thats what you had atm with low-ish inv space? 4/5 af3 for set proc, cap mdt with base shell5, some mdb and magic defense, youd take out gear / uncap mdt for fire resist build?

Cerberus.Eugene said: »
As mdt is capped fairly quickly

I dont personally seem to cap mdt "fairly quickly" that I can use earrings/rings on fire resistance gear and still cap.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-05 13:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shellra V + merits = 27% so you need 23% from gear.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2011-09-05 14:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

@Krsone
When you can lower dmg take to single digits with fullblown firekit+spells, nulls from shadow ring and absorbs from af3 set bonus really does less for you. Unless you own an Aegis, firekit still the way to go for tiamat - even at 90.

Sure a firekit takes more space, but if you want the best dmg reduction, you gotta deal with that.

Also, as Eugene stated, MDT and elemental resistance builds works in their respective ways, so taking out mdt for fire resist is certainly worth it if you can hit 300ish on Tiamat.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-09-05 14:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I know the caps I said base shell 5 aka duo w/ rdm, even with whm swapping current rings for dring and shadow ring or most likely for me shadow ring and minerva would put that set at 22% mdt.

Ty for reply.
By Tortuga1004 2011-09-05 14:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I roughly have 154 or so fire resist on nin for tanking tia, before bar spells/carols, take maybe ~20 or so dmg from it while in the air, while resisting, but at times will still take ~200 unresisted, firaga3's for about ~30 or so dmg. I also dont add in -mdt gear, just pure fire resist
 Fenrir.Demomo
Server: Fenrir
user: Skyline
By Fenrir.Demomo 2011-09-05 15:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

With just -50% mdt tiamat melees in the double digits (60-80) and add phalanx 2 on top of that.... why are you wasting that much space on a fire set? It's not 3-8 years ago :x
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-05 18:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zelphes said: »
I agree with the others here on using a full-blown Firekit for tiamat, especially if you plan on farming it frequently. Should aim for 300+ in gear/spells.
This isn't 75 cap, you need way less than 300 now.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2011-09-05 21:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
This isn't 75 cap, you need way less than 300 now.

I thought so too before I killed it a few times after 75 cap, but had to reach 300 still in gear/spells to reach full resists on airborn attacks at 90. Around 250ish, I got full resists, but not on a freq rate like with 300 resist.

I also had to reach 200ish in fire resist at 90 for that wyrm ks99 still like I did at 75 to get good results.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [111 days between previous and next post]
By aperture 2011-12-25 20:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it would depend highly on who is with you. if you have a BRD and WHM at your disposal than I definitely think a good fire resist set (155~ in gear should do) would be more effective with a carol and barfira.

If you are trying a super low man and do not have a brd than MDT set would most likely be better. Fire resist works if you can resist. if you can't than you are going to be taking full damage.