Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Weapon skills
Weapon skills
 Odin.Arbok
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sunbright
By Odin.Arbok 2011-09-01 18:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I just started playing again. I had never really leveled DRK, so here I am. My only question is this: I remember that DRKs only had a couple of good scythe WS's. because of that, DRK's would use great swords until higher levels, then once getting (guillotine, I think) they would switch over to scythes.

What do I need to know about this?

Also, anything else you think a new player should know that wasn't mentioned on stickies, etc.
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-09-01 19:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Use which ever you prefer, honestly doesn't matter now.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2011-09-01 19:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sturmwind ftw!

<.<
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-09-01 19:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

yea, Sturmwind probably is the best low level skill, and Rampage being the best non emp/relic ws.
 Fenrir.Kaomii
Server: Fenrir
user: Kaomii
By Fenrir.Kaomii 2011-09-01 20:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Drk needs quite a few weapons leveled to maximize weaponskill damage as you level up.

- Raging Axe at level 1 is the best start.
- Power Slash at level 9 is a decent alternative.
- Sturmwind at level 24.
- Rampage at level 56.
- Guillotine at level 60.

After that, the type of weapon you'd use would be highly dependent on level difference and active buffs.

- Spinning Slash for monsters with high defense.
- Rampage in Abyssea with critical hit atma.
- Infernal Scythe in Abyssea with magic enhancement atma.

Guillotine will do nearly the same amount of damage inside Abyssea as outside. Playing around a bit with Insurgancy, the damage is slightly lower, if not identical, to Guillotine's damage. If you plan on doing Voidwatch, or fighting other monsters specifically designed to challenge level 90 characters, you'll want to stick with Scythe or Great Sword.
[+]
 Odin.Arbok
By Odin.Arbok 2011-09-01 21:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You rock! Thanks, Kaomii!!

(What is loldark supposed to mean?)
 Fenrir.Kaomii
user: Kaomii
By Fenrir.Kaomii 2011-09-02 00:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

My pleasure~ ^^
 Bahamut.Weasel
Server: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2011-09-02 01:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Arbok said: »
(What is loldark supposed to mean?)

Let me just preface this by saying I'm not trying to cause drama or make you feel discouraged, but I think DRK has sort of lost what shine it had back at 75 cap. Hence, the loldrk comment. Even DRK 2hr zergs aren't very common at all anymore, as far as I know. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some great DRKs, but they are usually ones with a relic Scythe or an empyrean Great Sword. I see you have MNK and WAR leveled as well, and those are by far two of the more popular jobs right now, and I'd consider doing that too now that you're playing again. But do what you love, first and foremost! Don't let anyone tell you not to level it.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-09-02 01:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaomii said: »
Drk needs quite a few weapons leveled to maximize weaponskill damage as you level up.

- Raging Axe at level 1 is the best start.
- Power Slash at level 9 is a decent alternative.
- Sturmwind at level 24.
- Rampage at level 56.
- Guillotine at level 60.

After that, the type of weapon you'd use would be highly dependent on level difference and active buffs.

- Spinning Slash for monsters with high defense.
- Rampage in Abyssea with critical hit atma.
- Infernal Scythe in Abyssea with magic enhancement atma.

Guillotine will do nearly the same amount of damage inside Abyssea as outside. Playing around a bit with Insurgancy, the damage is slightly lower, if not identical, to Guillotine's damage. If you plan on doing Voidwatch, or fighting other monsters specifically designed to challenge level 90 characters, you'll want to stick with Scythe or Great Sword.

Rampage sucks, even with Critical Atmas. DRK's are still better off using Guillotine with Atma of Apocalypse which can usually bring the mean WSDMG into range of Torcleaver, though the outlier lows and highs may be erratic as Michael J. Fox's handwriting.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-09-02 01:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Drk needs quite a few weapons leveled to maximize weaponskill damage as you level up. - Raging Axe at level 1 is the best start. - Power Slash at level 9 is a decent alternative. - Sturmwind at level 24. - Rampage at level 56. - Guillotine at level 60. After that, the type of weapon you'd use would be highly dependent on level difference and active buffs. - Spinning Slash for monsters with high defense. - Rampage in Abyssea with critical hit atma. - Infernal Scythe in Abyssea with magic enhancement atma. Guillotine will do nearly the same amount of damage inside Abyssea as outside. Playing around a bit with Insurgancy, the damage is slightly lower, if not identical, to Guillotine's damage. If you plan on doing Voidwatch, or fighting other monsters specifically designed to challenge level 90 characters, you'll want to stick with Scythe or Great Sword.
Rampage sucks, even with Critical Atmas. DRK's are still better off using Guillotine with Atma of Apocalypse which can usually bring the mean WSDMG into range of Torcleaver, though the outlier lows and highs may be erratic as Michael J. Fox's handwriting.
Even with perfectly augmented Doom Tabars? I'd find it hard to believe that Guillotine could keep up with a proper Rampage build with good axes on the inside.
 Bismarck.Pawnskipper
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Pawnskipper 2011-09-02 07:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

......though the outlier lows and highs may be erratic as Michael J. Fox's handwriting.

LMAO, epic simile!
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-09-02 07:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sturmwind at level 24.

*Nostalgia'ed hard*

I remember my first last resort / berserk / souleater sturmwind. We had a PL'er who told me (after the fourth time) to stop doing that or he'd stop curing me XD. Fun times

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By volkom 2011-09-02 08:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Drk needs quite a few weapons leveled to maximize weaponskill damage as you level up. - Raging Axe at level 1 is the best start. - Power Slash at level 9 is a decent alternative. - Sturmwind at level 24. - Rampage at level 56. - Guillotine at level 60. After that, the type of weapon you'd use would be highly dependent on level difference and active buffs. - Spinning Slash for monsters with high defense. - Rampage in Abyssea with critical hit atma. - Infernal Scythe in Abyssea with magic enhancement atma. Guillotine will do nearly the same amount of damage inside Abyssea as outside. Playing around a bit with Insurgancy, the damage is slightly lower, if not identical, to Guillotine's damage. If you plan on doing Voidwatch, or fighting other monsters specifically designed to challenge level 90 characters, you'll want to stick with Scythe or Great Sword.
Even with perfectly augmented Doom Tabars? I'd find it hard to believe that Guillotine could keep up with a proper Rampage build with good axes on the inside.
depending on the mob and what atmas you have. I've done like 4.5k guillotines on those morbols in Abyssea - Konschtat. But usually its around 3.4k or so >_> how much do people do rampages for with capped axe skill?
 Odin.Arbok
By Odin.Arbok 2011-09-02 14:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

WAIT! lolpld is in effect too? Damnit, I was going to screw around with that.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-09-02 14:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Arbok said: »
WAIT! lolpld is in effect too? Damnit, I was going to screw around with that.
PLD is still a wonderful tank with amazing survivability. The problem is that in abyssea ANY mediocre DD will cap their enmity very quickly and start pulling hate off the PLD every time they attack. Not to mention, abyssea is generally so easy that you don't NEED a PLD to tank anyways, which means you are only losing damage potential by using a PLD over a DD job.

I'm pretty sure PLD is still great for newer outside-abyssea content.
 Shiva.Ixius
Server: Shiva
user: Ixius
By Shiva.Ixius 2011-09-05 11:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
depending on the mob and what atmas you have. I've done like 4.5k guillotines on those morbols in Abyssea - Konschtat. But usually its around 3.4k or so >_> how much do people do rampages for with capped axe skill?

I would like to see your weaponskill set if you'd be so kind. Thankee.
By volkom 2011-09-05 14:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ixius said: »
Quote:

I would like to see your weaponskill set if you'd be so kind. Thankee.

This is what I use currently now:

I sold my jingang greaves and have yet to get a moonshade earring. But with that on those morbols in Abyssea - Konschtat using Apoc/A&O/GC last resort and red/yellow curry buns I do that
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-09-05 23:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not often that guillotine does hit past 4k for me, but I've done it to a few different types of IT mobs in aby. Food isn't necessary for those numbers, but you def want to use your temps to get consistently high numbers. The atma I use with scythe are Apoc/Lion/RR.

Edit:

This is the gear that I used when I used scythe primarily.
By hexagram23 2011-09-07 16:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

You don't "usually" do 3.4k Guillotines on anything in Abyssea.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-07 17:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

hexagram23 said: »

He's using GC instead of RR, I could see it. Doesn't make it a good choice though.
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-09-07 20:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

He's using GC instead of RR, I could see it. Doesn't make it a good choice though.

/sigh... no it doesn't. that point has been beaten to death already though. If I wasn't so concerned with people being bad representatives of DRK, I'd ignore these posts all together
By volkom 2011-09-07 21:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

never said i use those atmas all the time. Just for that one particular scenario. i just used those atmas for that one time and everyone goes all grumpy. jeeze.
everyone go hop on the RR/Apoc/A&O atma train and spam torcleaver~