users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Parry cap
Parry cap
 Shiva.Johneblaze
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-25 12:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Currently my parry is 250 sumthin my friend just capped his doing Pachy x5 in tahrongi. So I have been there for a bit regen atma x2 and GH and a couple of lvl 1 weps and the skill ups @ this lvl are very slow so my question to all the bad@$$ ninja's out there is there a better place to be @ this skill lvl to skill parry faster or is it gonna get better because he was skilling very fast but that is prob reletive to the fact that more parry skill= more parry = more % chance for skill ups?
Please share any info about lvling parry you may have suggestions of mob choice, atma combo's, or any odds and ends you have learned about in your expieriences....
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-08-25 12:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots and lots of mandies... 5 away from cap on WAR D:

Regen Atmas/DNC Sub/PDT gear is what I did, I blood tanked of course since evasion/counter would ruin parry skill ups.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
Server: Ragnarok
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2011-08-25 12:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I also added as much parry skill + gear as I could like tomoe and bushi to try and increase the chances. Not sure it had a massive impact though >.<
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-08-25 12:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Drop GH and go with 3 regen/defence/pdt atma. If you have a friend with rdm you can survive all the mandy and chig together minus nm's of course. Be sure to also use the skillup food. I hear it helps a lot.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-08-25 12:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Johne I see you have war leveled. I'd get to about 305 on that first. Skill up whatever weapons you can with it but mainly you want to use a sword with retaliation up, and spam sanguine blade with like 15 mandies bashing on you.

Standard PDT crap even a shield is cool if that needs to be capped(Also cuts down damage meh).

I think I did Stronghold/Viscitude/AoA(or some other regen atma)

2 ways to do this.. Earthstaff or sword+shield(sanguine blade spam is faster then waltzs)

Earthstaff you end up playing it safe and you get mostly parry skill ups.

Sword+shield you can have tons of mobs on you as long as you weaponskill.

do this for a few hours and you are sure to get good skillups. use that "new fangled" food as well. the hat has Regen+2 on it, I figure it beats out versa on monk type monsters that are decent challenge.

Don't worry about killing mobs if you do Att, Chasm they should link to you. Ride Defender and Retaliation and use Aggressor to lower your evasion even further.

Edit: It is funny running around in this set. people always double take.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-25 12:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Take off all evasion gear, get a RDM or SCH/RDM friend, and go to Abyssea - Altepa. Put on PDT gear, pull all the mandies, and run along a wall so it's to your left. Engage one of the mandies that isn't in the clump you just made (but don't swing at it) and position yourself so you face the clump. I bet you get about 20 skill levels per hour. If you have the skillup ring and use the proper food, you could do better than that.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-08-25 12:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Take off all evasion gear, get a RDM or SCH/RDM friend, and go to Abyssea - Altepa. Put on PDT gear, pull all the mandies, and run along a wall so it's to your left. Engage one of the mandies that isn't in the clump you just made (but don't swing at it) and position yourself so you face the clump. I bet you get about 20 skill levels per hour. If you have the skillup ring and use the proper food, you could do better than that.

Don't even need a healer if he goes on WAR until he hits 305 Skill. ***is fun as hell too, basically I capped almost all my skills like this. (Shield is still 225 Q.Q)
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-08-25 13:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Johne I see you have war leveled. I'd get to about 305 on that first. Skill up whatever weapons you can with it but mainly you want to use a sword with retaliation up, and spam sanguine blade with like 15 mandies bashing on you.

Standard PDT crap even a shield is cool if that needs to be capped(Also cuts down damage meh).

2 ways to do this.. Earthstaff or sword+shield(sanguine blade spam is faster then waltzs)

do this for a few hours and you are sure to get good skillups. use that "new fangled" food as well. the hat has Regen+2 on it, I figure it beats out versa on monk type monsters that are decent challenge.

Edit: /mnk + counterstance is the fastest way for any job, but what I meant to say and forgot was that war/mnk is the absolute fastest. Counterstance + Retaliation is amazing.
Don't worry about killing mobs if you do Att, Chasm they should link to you. Ride Defender and Retaliation and use Aggressor to lower your evasion even further.

Not really thread relevant but your best possible way to skill if you can get support or find your own way to survive it is GH, Roaring Laughter, + anything depending on lvl. (use Horned Beast if skill 100 or under) then use counterstance if you can really survive. With friends and a clear camp you could cap any weapon in an hr or hr and a half.

As for parry your going to want to pick the job you have with the highest parry cap and lowest evasion. Make sure not to sub monk and try not to add in any evasion or counter from gear or atma.

Obviously the more mobs you can handle the faster it can go, but making sure you lower your evasion (even using atma that removes evasion, or gear that does as well) will help out an insane amount. Two parry daggers + other gear is possible to help but really shouldn't be necessary.
 Shiva.Lienna
user: Lienna
By Shiva.Lienna 2011-08-25 15:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully I don't /threadjack but I just came back from about a year hiatus and was wondering how much has changed regarding skilling up the lower stuff. Ive been lvling pretty quickly (up to 81NIn now) but my parry is still pretty low by probably today's standards (~190) and I was wondering if there are better options for lvling parrying to catch up? Still getting the hang of how abyssea works so if its something outside of there it would be great. Any thoughts? The gear I usually went with when skilling were parry knives, parry torque, various +agi pieces and some PDT gear, which wasnt much but there was some and sub dnc. then get pro/shell and a def food from the manuals and sit around on something annoying for a while. Havent yet tried the new food either.
 Sylph.Tibze
Server: Sylph
user: Tibz
By Sylph.Tibze 2011-08-25 15:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this "skill up food" I've been seeing in threads. I keep seeing it worded that way but no one gives it's name.

I just recently came back from a 1 year break too.
 Shiva.Johneblaze
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-25 15:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the input so far guys ^^

@ skarwind +1 for the advice going war, nothing is gonna gimp my nin eva like going war ^^ and this gives me a chance to get those last weapon skill ups for blue's

@ Lienna any mob you can pull a gang of and hits soft and attacks frequently and you can survive is good most do in abby as I have because atma lets you unbalance things to the point of afk skill ups...
 Shiva.Johneblaze
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-25 15:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Saltena for Attack skills and Elshena for Defense skills
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-08-25 15:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ringmastersword said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

Edit: /mnk + counterstance is the fastest way for any job, but what I meant to say and forgot was that war/mnk is the absolute fastest. Counterstance + Retaliation is amazing.

Not really thread relevant but your best possible way to skill if you can get support or find your own way to survive it is GH, Roaring Laughter, + anything depending on lvl. (use Horned Beast if skill 100 or under) then use counterstance if you can really survive. With friends and a clear camp you could cap any weapon in an hr or hr and a half.

As for parry your going to want to pick the job you have with the highest parry cap and lowest evasion. Make sure not to sub monk and try not to add in any evasion or counter from gear or atma.

Obviously the more mobs you can handle the faster it can go, but making sure you lower your evasion (even using atma that removes evasion, or gear that does as well) will help out an insane amount. Two parry daggers + other gear is possible to help but really shouldn't be necessary.

Cool revisions there BRO but, Counterstance rapes whatever defense you have(why go from being hit 5 damage per attack round to 15/20 it adds up with a dozen or so midgets hitting you). In most cases retaliation is good enough for individual attacks for weapon skills ups your main goal is capping parry. Counterstance would rape what procs you would want to have. It also doesn't give you TP for every attack "countered" like you would have with retaliation up (for spamming Sanguine Blade with 15-20 *** smacking you.)

I didn't forgot nothing, counter-stance can seriously hurt you in my experience at least solo. Also the point was parry skill ups so counter doesn't help that IMO (Counter/Evasion/Retaliation can proc over parry correct? Retaliation is a worthy sacrifice though since you can get ).

Now if we are talking weapon skill ups with a mage then sure, it would be good. But I'll take survivability while having more mobs on me any day of the week. Doing it all solo of course.

Elshena is the food by the way.

Also honestly instead of trying to be cute and do that quote crap just state your own opinion >: GAWD

Edit: It's pretty intense holding that many mobs for like 120 minutes straight. I've yet to R0 while doing it but it is bound to happen lol >_<

Oh also wanted to add, evasion can be really easy to catch up on. For example all I really had were classes that didn't rely on the stat (I guess SAM is decent but LOLSAM). Leveling THF and pulling everything in sight at Ule range helped that alot. Parry/Guard/Shield are by far the most boring skills to level.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-08-25 15:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Find a rdm with phalanx 2, pdt set, /war, spam innin and aggressor, and wear hauby and any eva- stuff you can.

At late stage lvls i got 7-9 lvls per 70-90 mins in abyssea. That's w/o skill up food. Full -50% pdt and having VT mandies is win.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-08-25 16:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Post update I thought anything Decent Challenge- IT gave the same amount of skill ups regardless of difficulty? Phalanx II would sure make things easier. I messed with /RDM and even a gimp Phalanx made a nice difference per swing. VT mobs would ensure you would dodge less though.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-08-25 16:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

when I read OP's Title, I thought it was about a hat to boost Parry Skill :/
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-25 16:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phalanx is why I recommended RDM or SCH/RDM, not for cure. If your goal is to skill up parrying, you shouldn't even swing and definitely shouldn't activate Counterstance or Retaliation.
 Shiva.Johneblaze
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-25 16:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
when I read OP's Title, I thought it was about a hat to boost Parry Skill :/
^^ win
 Shiva.Lienna
user: Lienna
By Shiva.Lienna 2011-08-25 21:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Johneblaze said: »
Thank you for the input so far guys ^^

@ skarwind +1 for the advice going war, nothing is gonna gimp my nin eva like going war ^^ and this gives me a chance to get those last weapon skill ups for blue's

@ Lienna any mob you can pull a gang of and hits soft and attacks frequently and you can survive is good most do in abby as I have because atma lets you unbalance things to the point of afk skill ups...
Anything specific that might be more helpful, last thing I recall was mandies in boyoda tree but they dont seem to be the right level for me. Or am I just missing something?
 Shiva.Johneblaze
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-26 10:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Anything specific that might be more helpful, last thing I recall was mandies in boyoda tree but they dont seem to be the right level for me. Or am I just missing something?
first parry skill ups are infrequent can can take a long time i think the majority of my parry skill (0-200) came from xp and skilling weps for procs on war
@90 w/ 253 parry I pull 8 pachy on war w/ earthstaff (ty skarwind ^^)and fulltime defender, aggressor, and spam cure waltz 3 and maintain full hp mostly I wasn't eating food this morn and was getting a .X every full chat log or so and was getting around 1-2 parries per wave of attacks. hardest part of this many pachy is getting them all in front of you as they like to spread out in my expierience, all this is covered tho.
Honestly my recomendation is to finish lvling nin to 90 (or if you have war already) make a shout for the diff regen atma(pending you don't already have) buy elshena food and emulate the suggestions in this thread to best fit your play style/resources. Then waste invest tons of time cause thats what it comes down to Q.Q
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-26 10:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, it took me two nights to cap parrying the way I described. It would have taken one night, but people keep killingv the mandies.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2011-08-26 21:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Or wait until the update and skill up parry faster due to the change of defensive skillups proc, and the new NIN Parry boost ability