Squeenix Might Be Planning To Drop "Enix"

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Squeenix might be planning to drop "Enix"
Squeenix might be planning to drop "Enix"
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Sandolphon
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-08-18 14:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Asura.Sandolphon said: »
Fenrir.Tsuji said: »
Even if they did split up (which is not likely), it wouldn't matter anyway. The core people that allowed the company to shine are largely gone. Sakaguchi, the man himself behind FF, voluntarily left the company before they merged. Then it really went downhill. Even Nobuo Uematsu is not scoring for the games all the time any more either. So I am sure we can all just agree that we will not get to rekindle our love for Square / Square Co. / Squaresoft. It's gone and it ain't coming back.
I disagree, everyone that made SE's older games good, are pretty much still there. Sakaguchi didn't do much past FFV or so. 1-5 all pretty much suck except for IV which is decent and V is only good for the job system. Uematsu still composes, and Nomura, whom people treat like a newcomer, has been lead character designer since at least FFVII and worked with them since FFIII or IV. And even if Uematsu left (god forbid) they still use a wealth of great composers. Motoi Sakuraba (Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean), Masashi Hamauzu (FFXIII, Saga Frontier II), and Hitoshi Sakimoto (Tactics Ogre, Breath of Fire, Vagrant Story, FFXII) come to mind. So, its not a lack of good employees/correspondents thats ruining the work. My guess would be the current video game climate. Success of games like Halo/Gears of War are pushing the rpg genre into a more action-oriented area. Personally, I blame the Xbox.

Lost me here.
FF1, 2, and 3 really suck. They're all like rehashes of the same story line, of which there is practically no story. Three is a little better since it has a job system, but there are only like 8 jobs, four is pretty good, first to have an engaging story, and lastly FFV reverted back to that shitty crystal-hunt, warriors of light storyline, but managed to hold interest by having a very, very good job system with like 30-ish jobs iirc.
 Asura.Sandolphon
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-08-18 14:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Uetmasu left in 2004 lol

But anyways, you are a massive troll so whatever.
I was gunna correct myself, you know what I meant. Uematsu still does contract jobs for them. I meant left as in, decided to not work with them anymore.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-18 14:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tsuji said: »
Even if they did split up (which is not likely), it wouldn't matter anyway. The core people that allowed the company to shine are largely gone. Sakaguchi, the man himself behind FF, voluntarily left the company before they merged. Then it really went downhill. Even Nobuo Uematsu is not scoring for the games all the time any more either. So I am sure we can all just agree that we will not get to rekindle our love for Square / Square Co. / Squaresoft. It's gone and it ain't coming back.
I disagree, everyone that made SE's older games good, are pretty much still there. Sakaguchi didn't do much past FFV or so. 1-5 all pretty much suck except for IV which is decent and V is only good for the job system. Uematsu still composes, and Nomura, whom people treat like a newcomer, has been lead character designer since at least FFVII and worked with them since FFIII or IV. And even if Uematsu left (god forbid) they still use a wealth of great composers. Motoi Sakuraba (Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean), Masashi Hamauzu (FFXIII, Saga Frontier II), and Hitoshi Sakimoto (Tactics Ogre, Breath of Fire, Vagrant Story, FFXII) come to mind. So, its not a lack of good employees/correspondents thats ruining the work. My guess would be the current video game climate. Success of games like Halo/Gears of War are pushing the rpg genre into a more action-oriented area. Personally, I blame the Xbox.
Lost me here.
FF1, 2, and 3 really suck. They're all like rehashes of the same story line, of which there is practically no story. Three is a little better since it has a job system, but there are only like 8 jobs, four is pretty good, first to have an engaging story, and lastly FFV reverted back to that shitty crystal-hunt, warriors of light storyline, but managed to hold interest by having a very, very good job system with like 30-ish jobs iirc.

If you compare them to todays games I suppose (although I'll take the storyline in any of those games over whatever was going on in X-2 or XIII personally) but those games are each over 20 years old. I remember Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior VIVIDLY, including the shitty fold-out slime ridden poster that displayed the enemies that you will fight throughout the game (including giant ??? silouettes (sp) of the bosses). They were epic fables at the time but they told much better stories than "you must feed jellybeans to your pet space blob".

Master Blaster had cool story too. Poor Frog.
 Asura.Sandolphon
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-08-18 14:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I complain too about less than 1mo games made in 1980's because they lack story depth.

What non-sense is tetris? There's not even any script :O
I'm not trying to retro judge them. It just seems everyone mentions the departure of Sakaguchi as a turning point in Square's quality output, when Sakaguchi wasn't even responsible for the quality output.

The best FF games are arguably the PS1 era, my favorite is X, but from an objective viewpoint, VII, VIII, and IX did enough to revolutionize the genre while staying true to the form.

Sakaguchi, while involved with these games, did not have the sole hand in their creation and the other team leaders on the games still work for or work with SE.

I was just trying to point out how ludicrous it is to state Sakaguchi's leaving as a reason for their lack of quality.

EDIT: Also, people tend to forget that FF isn't Square's only flagship series. The merger with Enix gave them DQ...which is doing very well and staying very true to the form, and Star Ocean, which is still a very reputable series.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Sandolphon
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-08-18 14:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just trying to point out how ludicrous it is to state Sakaguchi's leaving as a reason for their lack of quality.

While I believe they are wrong too, what you said to prove your point is just incredibly wrong.

Personally I think it's simply because they milked it too long and they are trying to give a new "birth" to the genre with new ideas to attract a wider range of people. IMO they did a good job bringing good new ideas but failed to make it appealing enough.

Doing so made angry their core fans (Those fans are a big cause of the bad press they are getting).
That's basically what I said. The success of action games has caused SE to try to incorporate the streamlined, tunnel-like quality of those games in their rpgs.

The result is FFXIII, a game with hardly any side quests and maps that are, literally, straight lines.

And don't get me wrong, I loved FFXIII, but its honestly not the direction FF should be headed.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-08-18 14:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They need big maps or small but open maps and not tunnels @_@ Also a world map or some other form of exploration. I wouldn't mind if the world map had crap graphics, as long as we can run around and explore it
By Artemicion 2011-08-18 14:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Indeed, it would be nice if they had developers attempt to revolutionize the RPG genre rather than making hybrid attempts at previous successes in other genres. Granted this is what made Fallout 3 and Mass Effect successful, it doesn't mean everyone should hop on the bandwagon or attempt something they're notoriously bad at doing. Anyone remember The Bouncer?

Bleh I'm getting lazy in setting up analytical and supported arguements, but I'm sure you get the jist of it. Square has attempted several times to go out of their genre and even fuse it with their RPG elements, all of which had relatively little to no success. However, due to the sudden explosion of popularity in shooter and action games, doesn't mean SE should abandon their roots and go the same route as every other developer and publisher.
RPGs have always been their strong point, and it should remain so, even if it requires a few testing run games to help gain a new appeal to the modern gaming industry and the new audience that follows it.

But I jest. SE is a multi-million dollar corporation, and their objective is to make profit, not make excellent games; even though that sounds contrary as one would think excellent games would be in the interest of profit. Sales seem to be in rehashes of Call of Duty and those that manage to compile mutated hybrids of FPS and RPG elements together to something that holds itself together at least a little bit.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-18 14:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Anyone remember The Bouncer?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-08-18 15:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda liked The Bouncer as a kid >_>
 Asura.Ashleh
By Asura.Ashleh 2011-08-18 15:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I kinda liked The Bouncer as a kid >_>

Me too, haven't played that game since then though. Played Ehrgeiz recently, that game still sucks. Made by the same team, I think.
 Asura.Ashleh
By Asura.Ashleh 2011-08-18 15:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

While I believe they are wrong too, what you said to prove your point is just incredibly wrong.

Personally I think it's simply because they milked it too long and they are trying to give a new "birth" to the genre with new ideas to attract a wider range of people. IMO they did a good job bringing good new ideas but failed to make it appealing enough.

Doing so made angry their core fans (Those fans are a big cause of the bad press they are getting).
That's basically what I said. The success of action games has caused SE to try to incorporate the streamlined, tunnel-like quality of those games in their rpgs.

The result is FFXIII, a game with hardly any side quests and maps that are, literally, straight lines.

And don't get me wrong, I loved FFXIII, but its honestly not the direction FF should be headed.

So it's confirmed every future Final Fantasy game is going to be like FFXIII??? And what sucessful action games? God of War? I don't think that has anything to do with it. >_>

FFXIII feels like the natural evolution of jRPGS in the current gen. They've always been linear, now it's just more apparent. I mean, every current gen jRPG i've played and liked has been on a handheld... that's saying something. It doesn't have anything to do with action games. It has to do with the consumers interests in graphics over quality. The same thing happened with the bit wars, but now graphics are even more limiting when you try to put them before gameplay.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-18 15:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ashleh said: »
It has to do with the consumers interests in graphics over quality.

If I could give you all of my +1's for this I would as much as I detest that it's true. The 16-bt systems started an inkling of a fire for this "arms race" of graphics. Now it seems like 70% of effort is put into graphics, then story and gameplay.
 Asura.Sandolphon
By Asura.Sandolphon 2011-08-18 15:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So it's confirmed every future Final Fantasy game is going to be like FFXIII??? And what sucessful action games? God of War? I don't think that has anything to do with it. >_>

FFXIII feels like the natural evolution of jRPGS in the current gen. They've always been linear, now it's just more apparent. I mean, every current gen jRPG i've played and liked has been on a handheld... that's saying something. It doesn't have anything to do with action games. It has to do with the consumers interests in graphics over quality. The same thing happened with the bit wars, but now graphics are even more limiting when you try to put them before gameplay.
I was thinking more run and gun games like Gears of War and Uncharted. Where you never have to stop and think.
By Artemicion 2011-08-18 16:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It has to do with the consumers interests in graphics over quality.

If I could give you all of my +1's for this I would as much as I detest that it's true. The 16-bt systems started an inkling of a fire for this "arms race" of graphics. Now it seems like 70% of effort is put into graphics, then story and gameplay.

Pretty much this.
When hardware was limited and your characters looked like little chunks of polygons and your soundtrack was reduced to MIDI, you had to overcome the shortcomings of appearance with detail in other matters.
Thanks to wonderful technology, you can have a pretty face at the drop of a hat, but no personality to go with it.
 Phoenix.Vael
Server: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2011-08-18 16:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

While I believe they are wrong too, what you said to prove your point is just incredibly wrong. Personally I think it's simply because they milked it too long and they are trying to give a new "birth" to the genre with new ideas to attract a wider range of people. IMO they did a good job bringing good new ideas but failed to make it appealing enough. Doing so made angry their core fans (Those fans are a big cause of the bad press they are getting).
That's basically what I said. The success of action games has caused SE to try to incorporate the streamlined, tunnel-like quality of those games in their rpgs. The result is FFXIII, a game with hardly any side quests and maps that are, literally, straight lines. And don't get me wrong, I loved FFXIII, but its honestly not the direction FF should be headed.
So it's confirmed every future Final Fantasy game is going to be like FFXIII??? And what sucessful action games? God of War? I don't think that has anything to do with it. >_> FFXIII feels like the natural evolution of jRPGS in the current gen. They've always been linear, now it's just more apparent. I mean, every current gen jRPG i've played and liked has been on a handheld... that's saying something. It doesn't have anything to do with action games. It has to do with the consumers interests in graphics over quality. The same thing happened with the bit wars, but now graphics are even more limiting when you try to put them before gameplay.

No, absolutely not. Well, besides the graphics thing, targeted consumers are stupid and basically anything anyone says I can agree with.

But linearity is not the only quality of a JRPG. Now we think this term is used to exclusively apply to the ridiculous over-the-top non-FF RPGs because FF doesn't seem very over-the-top anymore. But that is the quality XIII is missing - it is not a linear progression of the genre.

Various games in the series never completely miss the idea of creating an atmosphere. Some less than others, of course. But at least every game includes one of these things:

Characters with beards,
characters who are not raised human,
characters who just aren't human,
characters who aren't even sentient but are still function as if they are.

It is a small example of a key aspect of these games, that is, like I said, atmosphere. Tell me where that is in XIII, where the purpose for that world existing comes from. The long hallways weren't the only thing that plagued XIII; it was the fact that none of the game seemed there to create a world for you or your characters beyond scenery that your characters didn't even respond to. The lore wasn't fleshed out for you to experience in any way. The only example of depth in the game I think is the scene where Titan eats an adamantoise.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13