Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » New armor augment choice for blm
New armor augment choice for blm
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-04-15 19:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I was thinking getting the mage robe with MAB+ and MACC+, but idk if it would be better or worse than the weskit. Any suggestions?
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-04-15 19:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't like, appreciate, or have BLM anywhere near that level, but from what I hear from friends, that is the best choice and is better than Weskit. This is coming from a Taru BLM though.
 Diabolos.Aphy
Server: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Aphy 2009-04-15 19:41:48
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Tested, its better than the NQ wesket but if u have HQ then its not :x HQ is better.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-15 20:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fast Cast + 5 / Magic Accuracy +4. Use Genie or Morrigan for nuke. If you don't have these, you'll eventually get these, I'd stick with Igqira Weskit in the meantime.

The Fast Cast +5 on this body can be used for -any- BLM spell, if you can macro your stuff correctly. Just use the body "precast", then swap gear midcast, that way you'll get the Fast Cast +5 effect on your spell (cast duration lowered by 5%, recast won't be affected since you'll swap midcast).

For Dark Magic, if you do not own the Einherjar body or Nashira Body, you'll want to use this body. Fast Cast+5 will reduce cooldown on Stun/Aspir/Drain by ~2 seconds.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-15 21:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Which weskit? (nq or hq) MAcc + MAB outperforms nq but if you have hq and want to use this for BLM I'd definitely go with what Antipika said. I'll be using the other bodies for different jobs, Igqira will be fine for me until I get Genie.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-15 23:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Vinyard said:

Weskit(NQ) > Mage Robe with MAT4 + MAC4

Enough said.

ORLY?
I think not.
Better than NQ and hovering around HQ Weskit's level, pulling ahead if you can get more than ~40 MAB going (I assume that's in equipment). I'll be getting one until I can get Genie Weskit, then I'll likely get a Nuevo Coselete for my DRG.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-16 00:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:

I'm not saying this is true or false, but dunno how someone serious can quote something containing *** like

Quote:
2 INT = 1 MAB

Any x INT = y MaB relation is stupid.

When BLM will finally understand that MaB and INT are not related and aren't working the same way ? Anyway just keep weskit for nuke, and again use the new body for fast cast. We don't have a lot of Fast Cast items as BLM...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-16 00:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Nightfyre said:

I'm not saying this is true or false, but dunno how someone serious can quote something containing *** like

Quote:
2 INT = 1 MAB

Any x INT = y MaB relation is stupid.

Agreed, even I can see that lol. There are several posts in that thread that highlight that very point, actually. I assume you refer to Davrost's post? Not the one I was referencing. I was looking more to Iheartninja, Secretkeeper, and Heitoseijuro's posts. If you're talking about the OP for the BG thread, same deal there are other posts that were the main focus there. I didn't look over Argettio's spreadsheets too closely but I was more inclined to trust his numbers and Yojoyochenjo's than the OP of that thread given OP's INT-MAB assumption. Obviously results vary with the rest of your equip and the mob you're casting on, but if there are any serious errors in those findings I just mentioned please tell me.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-04-16 00:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Running with MAB/MACC for SCH anyway...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-16 00:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyaaadaa said:

How does this compare to the AF (+1?) body, Errant/Mahatma, or whatever else SCH equips? My only experience with the job ends at level 37 so I'm curious how this fits into SCH's gear.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-16 01:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:

Agreed, even I can see that lol. There are several posts in that thread that highlight that very point, actually. I assume you refer to Davrost's post? Not the one I was referencing. I was looking more to Iheartninja, Secretkeeper, and Heitoseijuro's posts. If you're talking about the OP for the BG thread, same deal there are other posts that were the main focus there. I didn't look over Argettio's spreadsheets too closely but I was more inclined to trust his numbers and Yojoyochenjo's than the OP of that thread given OP's INT-MAB assumption. Obviously results vary with the rest of your equip and the mob you're casting on, but if there are any serious errors in those findings I just mentioned please tell me.

Well even with all these calculation, all I can see is that the ACP body with "nuking stats" is roughly the same as weskit. In that case it would be a wiser choice for any BLM to use the Fast Cast / MaCC body, but then again, only if they can macro it properly.

For those who are wearing a NQ weskit and lazy BLM (no offense in that, some people just use BLM occasionally and don't really care about playing this job to it's fullest, it's perfectly fine), then better use ACP body full time, nuke and dark magic. 2 in 1 body, less hassle, costless and do decent work.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-04-16 02:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you truely neeed the numbers to make the decision then check my post on BG thread linked above (page 2).

But the cliff notes, are that Weskit +1 > RR. NQ Weskit would be around the same as the RR.

The fastcast/m.acc option is a nice peice that gives stats you can not get any were else, Nash body is the closest.

As for the 2INT = 1 MAB.

Yes they are affect different parts of the damage equation. INT increases the base damage, whereas MAB multiplies that base damage.

But using 1 of my spread sheet, linked below, go to the ‘GW Thunder 4’ tab.

As I used steps of 2 on the INT and MAB we will have to compare 4INT to 2 MAB.

Look up the damage for 72INT and 32MAB (hume/mithra 75BLM/37RDM wearing only a GW): 1013

Now look up 74INT and 32MAB: 1,029

Compare that with 72INT 34MAB: 1,028

So adding 4 INT to a build you increase you damage by 16.

And adding 2 MAB to the same build you get and increase of 15.

So it’s not perfect, truly 2INT =/= 1 MAB but 2INT is a approximately the same 1MAB (FOR TIER IV NUKES)

This stands true of nearly any combination of INT and MAB. You can pick nearly any point in my sheet and find similar results.

For Tier III and AMII the balance is different due to the different base damage, and I don’t have time to prove the relationships between INT and MAB for them, you can work it out should you need to.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p-Hgau2FiqwtsuIEgURlAdQ
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-04-16 06:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course MAB and int are related. macc and int for that matter. Is it a straight 1int=2MAB hell no. Sure it depends on how much int the enemy has and how much MAB and int you already have and of course what spell you use. Doesnt mean they arent related. For that matter endgame mobs tend to have similar int with a few exceptions. For taht matter with the exceptions of really pimp and really gimp people there MAB and ints tend to be similar enough that the int to MAB ratio is close, so dont bash people just cause they say things like 2int~1MAB cause guess what it is close most the time. I guess if you really wanna figure out which ones better for dmg just plug it into the equation since blms primarily T4 id suggest that as your base and use the gear/merits/stats you actually use. Theres your answer. As far as macc issues that also somewhat depends though in this case the better gear you have tends to make int better (since MAB tends to be better then int)
There has been extensive testing that more or less showed 1int~macc until you have more then 10 int then the mob then its 2int~1macc and with most mobs having 110 int or less... yep the basis of the 320/120 build. so again gonna depend on other gear merits race blah blah. I'm taru so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is about on par with Genie but really id have to do the math myself
 Seraph.Gael
Server: Seraph
user: Gael
By Seraph.Gael 2009-04-16 07:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you all want to do a mage body with that ? for blm, errant body is better for aspir/drain,INT... weskit/morrigan are same or better for nuke/magic acc (depending your other gears - because yes only 1 gear cant be see alone, but only with a full set - and your merits)

So for fast cast ? to cast what ? where do you want to cast something with not the best stats, just to cast it faster ?
For enmity ? stop joking

Unless you want to do something which will be useless soon or immediately, why dont make a body for melee (to skill up for exemple), or for survival ? (you see many body with eva +10 for blm ?)
 Midgardsormr.Serbzook
Server: Midgardsormr
user: niktod
By Midgardsormr.Serbzook 2009-04-16 08:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Gael said:
Why do you all want to do a mage body with that ? for blm, errant body is better for aspir/drain,INT... weskit/morrigan are same or better for nuke/magic acc (depending your other gears - because yes only 1 gear cant be see alone, but only with a full set - and your merits)

So for fast cast ? to cast what ? where do you want to cast something with not the best stats, just to cast it faster ?
For enmity ? stop joking

Unless you want to do something which will be useless soon or immediately, why dont make a body for melee (to skill up for exemple), or for survival ? (you see many body with eva +10 for blm ?)

guy says it all, even tho fastcast can be used for Stun, tho if your a serious BLM and have all your enfeebling, nuking, resting, hp/mp convert gear, youd think twice before trying to fit in a new perma item in your inventory.

whats rlly to look at is whats rlly better for you 4MAB (RR) or 7MAB, 6MACC and 2MPC (GW). As for the INT that RR gives you... its all relative from a person to person if it would make a difference, you could have more int in some places than another person, i even recall theres a cap to the ammount of effective INT.

While you can compare INT to MAB PER SPELL ONLY, you just CANT give a general rule relating them for every spell and putting MAB, INT and the word relation in the same sentence, just sounds wrong... your adding apples and oranges, or in this case numbers and percentages.

quick edit:

No offence to the ppl that got one and love it, but imho RR looks just plain fckn ugly, same model as the talisman with a different texture... It just sticks out when you see someone with it, BLMs, SCHs, and god forbids RDMs wearing all the same white body, PLDs SAMs WARs all dressed the same way... just way to go SE, killing the little diversity and originality in looks that this game had.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-04-16 08:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Antipika said:

The Fast Cast +5 on this body can be used for -any- BLM spell, if you can macro your stuff correctly. Just use the body "precast", then swap gear midcast, that way you'll get the Fast Cast +5 effect on your spell (cast duration lowered by 5%, recast won't be affected since you'll swap midcast).

Where is the research for that? I was under the impression none of that mattered, only when you finishing casting is the end result. Or is Fast Cast the only thing that will work with?

It is fairly comon for mages to equip fastcast gear before casting, waiting till the spell is 70-90% cast then switching to the 'right' set for the spell.

You dont get the recast reduction, as that is calculated based on the gear worn at the point of the spell firing. But you can shave a few seconds off the casting time as the spell 'speeds up' as soon as the fastcast gear is equiped.

This is very useful for places like Dyanmis-Windy, where the crows that cast silencega have roughly the same casting time as silence. So I equip some fastcast at the beginning of the spell to land silence (or sleep) before they get their spell off.

The RR Fastcast and magic acc is arguably the best drain/aspir/stun peice in the game. Beats Nashira Manteel in the amount of haste and beats the Goliard Saio with more m.acc.

IMO the RR with m.acc and mab is more suited (maybe even designed) for SCH and RDM as they both see a big gain from this peice, but it is a viable option for BLM. More so if you are a low INT race.
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Server: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2009-04-16 08:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Kyaaadaa said:

How does this compare to the AF (+1?) body, Errant/Mahatma, or whatever else SCH equips?

A well geared SCH won't wear AF+1 unless they're up against something that's highly resistant. The "best" for SCH is Yigit (+5 MAB: for low resistance targets), Errant/Mahatma (+10/11 INT: for moderately resistant targets and Helixes), and AF+1 (+15 skill, +3 INT: for high resistant targets).

For low resistance targets, the mage body with +4 MAB and +4 MAcc should beat Yigit. For moderately resistant targets, you'd have to do some testing. For anything highly resistant, this body is not appropriate.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-04-16 08:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Antipika said:

Where is the research for that? I was under the impression none of that mattered, only when you finishing casting is the end result. Or is Fast Cast the only thing that will work with?

Fast cast is what determines the cast length of the spell. It is calculated at cast time, not when the spell completes. So start casting in fast cast gear to get shorter cast time, then swap to your nuking gear for your INT/MAB/Macc modifiers which are calculated when the spell completes.

If you want some type of "proof" then have a WHM with a stop watch cast a teleport spell (long cast time) with fast cast gear to start and swap out of it, and then again with fast cast gear on full time. You'll see the duration from start to the finishing animation are the same.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-04-16 09:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The RR beats the Errant/Mahatma for both SCH (Tier IV) and RDM (Tier III) in pure damage.

In theory they should be about the same with regards to accuracy up to moderate targets.

On hard targets, you need AF+1.

So unless your nuking HNMs, RR is SCH best bet.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-16 11:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Where is the research for that? I was under the impression none of that mattered, only when you finishing casting is the end result. Or is Fast Cast the only thing that will work with?.

I did 4 hours of extended testing with Flare 1 (19 seconds base time), and faster spells (Sleepga II / Cure III ). I used fraps and did a frame by frame comparison, measuring time with a 33.3 milliseconds precision (1 frame @ 30 frame / second). Did also remote testing (measuring another BLM casting while I was the one recording) to negate any impact Fraps could have on this test. (fraps didn't have any, my computer is solid enough :<)

As for stopwatch, don't even bother to use one, even with Flare, you won't be able to measure any difference, it's simply impossible. You gotta use fraps and take 2 precise points to consider when a spellcast starts and when a spellcast ends.

I did :

Start : frame where the casting bar starts to spawn (when small yellow stuff appear on your character also)
End : when the mob name is red (when the recast timer value change).

These points are very precise, you gotta check each frame one by one in order to determine these.

I knew already that FastCast would work if used pre-cast (for the casting time part). My tests was to determine if my Spellcast (the plugin) macros were working as intended, even with faster spells.
 Garuda.Iraphise
By Garuda.Iraphise 2009-04-16 12:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

[quote=Antipika]
Quote:

My tests was to determine if my Spellcast (the plugin) macros were working as intended, even with faster spells.

A little off topic, but you mentioned it. Does Spellcast adjust for fast cast?
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-16 14:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Iraphise said:
[quote=Antipika]
Quote:

My tests was to determine if my Spellcast (the plugin) macros were working as intended, even with faster spells.

A little off topic, but you mentioned it. Does Spellcast adjust for fast cast?

What do you mean by adjust ?

You can always set manually the variable type="midcastdelay" delay="x.x" where x.x is the time in seconds.

Quote:
Like precasting with an icestaff for the +4INT and switching to a different elemental staff to finish it off.

Which of course I didn't believe because it would just break the game.

Casting time is determined with the gear you wear when the spell starts. Damage, resistance, recast duration is determined by the equip you're wearing when the spell land.