Refresh Hairpin.. With Details.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Refresh Hairpin.. with details.
Refresh Hairpin.. with details.
First Page 2
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 12:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So after going through several, several threads and finding only VAGUE information about light and whatnot for this.. I'm posting my own picture that will hopefully help others:

Lights are there, what I killed, how long I was out there and what size chest are on the picture..

Over the course of those 30 hours I tried several monsters with several lights and this was the winning combination..

I can't say for others but again, I'm posting this to help others who were stuck in my situation, hope this helps ^^

Btw..
Getting Lights a little higher DID net me these...
That was around 192 Amber..

And..

That was around 168...

Happy Hunting ^^

FYI I'm only BLU sub because I started to solo and that was the best way possible for Azure.. hush -.-
[+]
 Bismarck.Faelar
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-08-04 12:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice, thanks for sharing this. I need a pair of rings and the hairpin still, will definately try this sometime.
 Asura.Toxleh
Server: Asura
user: Toxeus
By Asura.Toxleh 2011-08-04 12:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

why wouldnt u try to maximize amber while minimizing azure, can get time with around 150ish-180ish azure, unless there is something im missing
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-04 12:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Applebottoms101 said:

I like large chests too.

As a real contribution: I can get ~120ish amber light from killing the garuda thats floating around (with herc slash.... dont know if element of ws matters). Then i move to sapplings near Gangly Gean because they are weak as ***and don't produce ruby light. There is an ephemeral clionid who pops in that area that will give me 60-120 azure if its an ice clionid or 16-32 if it's a water elemental. Pearl is easily capped spamming ws on the sapplings (i recommend bringing a way to remove slow or resign yourself to popping every intense soothing light you see).

Also gean is pretty easy to solo at 90. If you have any desire for iga neck this is a great way to waste time waiting on his repops.
[+]
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 12:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The only problem with that is I've tried maximizing Amber.. all it got me was about 8 hours of farming KI and Temp items.. and that was with a group.

You want to stay mid amber honestly, that way you won't get overpowered with temp items and KI and Minimizing Azure you can do as well.. I personally stick around 170 so that way I just get TE and not get overpowered with temp items and such.

The 200 was an accident, I got some extra unwanted from a Clionid, lol
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-08-04 12:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

a few days ago I capped amber/azure/pearl and over the course of 6 hours killing saplings I came out with ~7 Dark rings (1 of which was 6/5/6) and 1 refresh hairpin. Also got a full kukulkan pop, 4/5 EE pop.

edit: I was on nin/war killing 1 at a time, not cleaving.
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 12:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I soloed Gean about 3 times for fun on DNC/BLU was cake, no drop even with 1 Blue proc lol
 Shiva.Johneblaze
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-04 12:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

when I do gold boxes in Kon I amber virindis wyverns @7, pearl lizardz @1, and azure t1vnm/emps . I always pull decent dark rings and get within a nm or 2 of capped KI. I go Nin/war and dualbox a whm/rdm (not even really needed just faster kills than nin/dnc) and pay someone in Port Jueno to come cap azure either in gil or let them cap azure and come back and open boxes/leech. I just cap amber @ 255 and seem to get a decent ratio or aug/ki/temps prob around : 1/1/3 I sure as hell dont farm for 30 hours at a time I cap inv space and KI within 2 1/2 hours so if you take 30 you are doing something wrong...
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 12:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

and that's awesome, again this is personal experience.. I started this to try and get others to give exact numbers as well.. instead of "well it was kinda at this.. maybe at this.."

If you got it from Max amber awesome, I got mine from my amount :)

I just think it's random what happens, but every little bit helps :D
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-08-04 12:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It took me ~16 hours to get mine. I farmed saplings using BLU/RDM. First, I built up azure/pearl lights to get loads of time, then got large gold chests with amber.

Not long after I got mine, we also had an LS event in Konschtat, so I decided to stay. ~2hrs into the event, I killed a few flans while trying to spawn that NM flan and a large gold chest dropped with another hairpin in it. LS buddy got a free refresh hairpin.
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 12:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Johneblaze:

when I do gold boxes in Kon I amber virindis wyverns @7, pearl lizardz @1, and azure t1vnm/emps . I always pull decent dark rings and get within a nm or 2 of capped KI. I go Nin/war and dualbox a whm/rdm (not even really needed just faster kills than nin/dnc) and pay someone in Port Jueno to come cap azure either in gil or let them cap azure and come back and open boxes/leech. I just cap amber @ 255 and seem to get a decent ratio or aug/ki/temps prob around : 1/1/3 I sure as hell dont farm for 30 hours at a time I cap inv space and KI within 2 1/2 hours so if you take 30 you are doing something wrong...

I could have paid someone.. but I didn't want to, I had a lot of free time since I was the only one in my ls during the day for the past week

and I was trying different combinations.. I capped Amber.. I minimized it to 50.. inbetween.. all those and this is what netted me it

as to the 30 hours this was spanned over 5 days.. averaging 5-6 per day or so.. I've gotten about 20+ dark rings and if you look at my gil I started around 2.1 mil when I did this...

I do think BLU sub wasn't that great, but hey, it was a lot of fun to Head Butt :D
 Bismarck.Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-08-04 13:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Johneblaze said:
if you take 30 you are doing something wrong...

Over 5 days...meaning go in, spend a few hours, go out, come back later.
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 13:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

pretty much, lol
 Shiva.Johneblaze
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-04 13:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

; ; i didn't see writing in picture until I just looked again sorry for the confusion I was basing the 30 hours off the original posted text.
Bismarck.Faelar said:
Shiva.Johneblaze said:
OP just addressed this ^^
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 13:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

lol all good ^^ writing is a little light sorry ; ;

I think if I was in there 30 hours stright though and not get it I'd cry... really...
 Shiva.Johneblaze
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-04 13:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

hence my doing it wrong comment ^^ what is your preference on squishy mob in Kon?
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 13:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I farmed lights on Saplings.. were plenty of there and the Clionid was always around to build up lights..

As for mob preference I tried saplings, lizards, wivres and the funguar

pretty much you can do anything in there with relative ease I was trying to find stuff that didn't hit too hard.. hence BLU sub.. lol

Edit: off to work for 4 hours, have fun lol
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-08-04 13:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Did mine as BLU/RDM on Goobbues since they aggro and are in a confined area. Took about 20-30 hours and got some PDT-5/MDT-4 Rings while there.
 Bismarck.Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-08-04 13:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Johneblaze said:
Quote:
OP just addressed this ^^

Was edited in after my post.
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2011-08-04 14:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I made a killing off selling rings when I went KI farming there for Ocelot and Danzos. Got a ton of Hairpins but none with refresh. couple 6% PDT rings 1 6%PDT 5MDT, 1 6%MDT. Farmed off of saplings, got 2 Iga Neck peices too. Like saplings because you can't ruby them.

All in 2 days. 4 EE pops, duo
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-08-04 14:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Applebottoms101 said:

I like large chests too.

As a real contribution: I can get ~120ish amber light from killing the garuda thats floating around (with herc slash.... dont know if element of ws matters). Then i move to sapplings near Gangly Gean because they are weak as ***and don't produce ruby light. There is an ephemeral clionid who pops in that area that will give me 60-120 azure if its an ice clionid or 16-32 if it's a water elemental. Pearl is easily capped spamming ws on the sapplings (i recommend bringing a way to remove slow or resign yourself to popping every intense soothing light you see).

Also gean is pretty easy to solo at 90. If you have any desire for iga neck this is a great way to waste time waiting on his repops.

the one prob with garuda in this zone is a dagger job like thf or dnc cant really amber garuda since only real magic ws got is wind based. only other option is to main hand sword what causes other probs.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-08-04 15:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't got my fresh hairpin but I get a good yielding on dark rings and last time I farmed my friend got a chest 3 minutes after I logged off for bed with a fresh hairpin in it.

I usually try to get azure above 100 and i cap amber to 255
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-08-04 15:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Applebottoms101 said:
So after going through several, several threads and finding only VAGUE information about light and whatnot for this.. I'm posting my own picture that will hopefully help others:

Lights are there, what I killed, how long I was out there and what size chest are on the picture..

Over the course of those 30 hours I tried several monsters with several lights and this was the winning combination..

I can't say for others but again, I'm posting this to help others who were stuck in my situation, hope this helps ^^

Btw..
Getting Lights a little higher DID net me these...
That was around 192 Amber..

And..

That was around 168...

Happy Hunting ^^

FYI I'm only BLU sub because I started to solo and that was the best way possible for Azure.. hush -.-

Not to sound like a butt face but your lights are horrible and somewhat pointless.

I say pointless because I thought it was well known by now that 128 caps the strength of the respective light's chests. Therefore, you only need 128 azure to cap azure chests IF you have all 3 azure abyssites. If you don't, I highly recommend you get them because it will allow you much more versatility in managing your lights.

For gold chest farming azure should never be above 128. Anything above 128 increases the frequency of the chests, which you don't want, unless you kill incredibly slow and you need the time.

Amber should be 255 obviously, which will allow the frequency of gold chests to be about 2x that of blue chests. Now you have the best possible light setup for gold chest farming: 128 azure/255 amber.

Your lights that you used would actually cause more blue chests than amber.
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 18:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

and like I said before, those lights were after I've done several trials over and over.. I've done max for both.. I've done max Amber and little Azure.. again I got nothing.. this was the setup that worked for me.. I wanted to stick around 170 so I wouldn't have to worry about TEs yet still could get cruor and exp from them...

and as for more blue to amber you're right, I got more blue, but I got more TEs to stay in longer for amber chests to farm more rings and such.. so it worked out ok :)
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-04 19:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting these things is pretty much just luck. You can try to have more amber than azure to focus on gold boxes but you're eventually going to need to build up your azure unless you're very lucky.

There is only one method that I found really worked and that's to go as Blue Mage. Turns out killing 50 mobs at once gets you a lot of chests... who knew.
By Applebottoms101 2011-08-04 19:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

lol indeed.. and since my BLU is 69.. subbing it was the best option :o

and it is all luck.. some people have gotten it quick.. others like me it took a while.. so yeah lol

again I wanted to make sure that I had enough Azure and in that screen shot I did over do it I admit because of a Clionid giving me more than I wanted and was too lazy to zone out lol
 Lakshmi.Galith
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-04 19:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're up for the next great adventure.... TTSashes with TH and Jeweled Collars with fast cast await you!

It is nice having th1 at the very least for anything i do on blu
 Lakshmi.Greggles
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-08-04 19:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I did this before you could check lights. We just got lights until we got top tier chests then one shotted puddings on BLMx2 to avoid Azure Lights. We ended up getting two in about 10-15 hours worth of farming.

Good luck!
 Lakshmi.Xstatic
user: Leonien
By Lakshmi.Xstatic 2011-08-04 20:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I must point out that i got a refresh with 8 amber and that was it.
Its really quite based on luck and the abyssites you have.
Ebon does assists in the effect of the quality of what the chests contains. Low amber will see you get small gold boxes. And over 80 will see large gold boxes appear in a higher frequency than smaller ones.
Had close to cap ebon and capped amber and i netted 2 refreshs hairpins that hit the floor once. But didnt see any good dark rings. So yet again its based down to luck

Another thing ive noticed which is purely rumored on my part. Is that ive noticed to see a item received more often on certain days and/or certains mobs. Its no where near confirmed tho and might just be purely coincidence
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-08-04 20:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Applebottoms101 said:
So after going through several, several threads and finding only VAGUE information about light and whatnot for this..

Lol, there is tons of information about regarding abyssea lights, refresh hairpin doesnt require anything different to what you want to aim for if youre ki farming. Helel pretty much hit the nail on the head.
First Page 2