Sleep Duration Halved On Some Monsters/ares, Have Fun BLM/RDM :]

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Sleep duration halved on some monsters/ares, have fun BLM/RDM :]
Sleep duration halved on some monsters/ares, have fun BLM/RDM :]
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Kujata.Tsuki
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2009-04-18 07:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Tsuki said:
do you seriously change to Anrin obi for enfeebling magic...?

Yeah and ? And it's not for "enfeebling magic", it's for sleep, which is completely different than slow or paralyze, where you would increase MND for potency on these (when resistance ain't an issue).

Obi's improve damage but also improve magic accuracy.

Sleep is enfeebling magic. Obi's don't provide any magic accuracy. You'd be far better off with the accuracy granted from the stat bonus on either Penitent's rope or Witch's sash for enfeebling magic of all kinds.
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-18 08:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Tsuki said:

Sleep is enfeebling magic.

No *** ? You don't get me, you're talking about "enfeebling magic" like if all enfeeble should be treated the same way. So no it's not "enfeebling magic" but it's sleep, and you're not treating sleep like you should treat Slow or Paralyze.

Quote:
Obi's don't provide any magic accuracy.

Wtf is that *** ? Obi makes weather or day bonus proc 100% of the time. Weather or day bonus are known to affect magic accuracy. You get resisted more often when sleeping on lightday for example.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Gain_Full_Effect_of_Day/Weather_Bonuses

Quote:
Elemental bonuses affect stats of magic belonging to that element: overall damage (if attack magic) and Magic Accuracy on all magic cast on an enemy target

Bonus provided by dark weather (or double dark, especially in dynamis) is far greater than p.rope. And it's not because they're called "Elemental bonuses" that they only work on "elemental magic".
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2009-04-18 15:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

does anyone know if gravity was affected by this as well?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-18 15:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

My gravity seemed to work normal in Thund/Kiri/I's BCNM. It was just the sleep that was killer.

I'd get like 1~2 tics from resting before "im awake lol u gun die nao taru."
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2009-04-18 15:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

well the update was for certain mobs, and i have a feeling ebony puddings grav resist has been increasedim only getting half the time i used to have when grav'd ; ;
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-18 16:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps SE did then.
I guess they don't like us kiting/sleeping our way to victory anymore.
If this has effected Maat, then I feel really really bad for first-time Rdms getting past Lv70. =/
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-18 17:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Urial said:
does anyone know if gravity was affected by this as well?

Gravity is I think, then again it depend which family of mob you're using gravity on :d

Manticore got 50% wind resistance, so try gravity these, it'll prolly last less longer than on a neutral mob. Harder to compare tho.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-18 17:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Zipacna

Aquilo's/Bugard+1/---/Phantom Tathlum
AF1/Spider Torque/Phantom/Phantom
AF1/Master Caster Mitts/Omega/Diamond
Prism Cape/Penitent's/Mahatma/Goliard

Returned a ~35% Bind landing rate just today (parsed - varied from 20% to 45% from attempt to attempt).

EDIT: All days during the battles were neutral to ice.
EDIT2: 8/8 Enfeebling merits, 0/5 Ice Magic Accuracy
 Caitsith.Armondo
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Armondo 2009-04-19 12:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw I haven't tested this half duration sleeps on NMs yet, but have any of you noticed increased resists on non enfeebling magic spells?

I have heard a few DRKs saying they have noticed decreased dark magic accuracy. Personally In sky last night my nukes on gods were being resisted much more then usuall. Anyone else notice this?
 Ramuh.Bekisa
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-04-19 13:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
Zipacna

Aquilo's/Bugard+1/---/Phantom Tathlum
AF1/Spider Torque/Phantom/Phantom
AF1/Master Caster Mitts/Omega/Diamond
Prism Cape/Penitent's/Mahatma/Goliard

Returned a ~35% Bind landing rate just today (parsed - varied from 20% to 45% from attempt to attempt).

EDIT: All days during the battles were neutral to ice.
EDIT2: 8/8 Enfeebling merits, 0/5 Ice Magic Accuracy

Was bored so just went out and tested this out. RDM/NIN solo. I casted Bind 17 times, 16 landed and 10 of those lasted longer than 45 seconds (I have an /echo macro go off every 15 seconds so I know how long its been on). Gravity was resisted once (I don't use grav at the start, only bind because grav resist builds faster in my experience) and Zip died before I had chance to put it up again.

Obviously, can't test sleep on Zip.

Gear isn't that great as I am still missing some key rdm +enfeeb items for spells that +mnd doesn't help potency on. (i.e. hat, cape and legs mostly) . 8/8 enfeeb merited.
I don't feel like typing out my gear, just check my equipment section on my
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-19 13:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Weird, which day? I found it odd too cause last time I took him I didn't have that much trouble landing Bind <_< it was just yesterday.

Gravity only resisted once too.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-19 13:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well zip doesn't belongs to a family of monsters which is affected by SE lasts change :o Golems should be np.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-23 14:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

SE said:
A version update of FINAL FANTASY XI was performed at the following time.

[Date & Time]
Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:00 (PDT)

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XI

[Important Update Details]
The following issues have been addressed:

- There were cases where the elemental resistance of some monsters was not working properly.

(...)

* Regarding the elemental resistance issue, we would like to take a moment and apologize for the delay in both notifying players and correcting the issue.

Should be fixed now :p Will go in limbus tonight and check if ghost and doomed sleeping is fine.
 Ifrit.Clouse
Server: Ifrit
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-04-23 16:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

i just logged on and didnt d/l an update. and the one yesterday (22nd) said it was for the lower delkfutt's tower glitch.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-23 17:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Clouse said:
i just logged on and didnt d/l an update. and the one yesterday (22nd) said it was for the lower delkfutt's tower glitch.

Why would you need to download something anyway ? It's only server-side.

In Apollyon SW atm, no issue with sleep on fomor, so i guess it's finally fixed.
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-23 19:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Tsuki said:
Antipika said:
Tsuki said:
do you seriously change to Anrin obi for enfeebling magic...?

Yeah and ? And it's not for "enfeebling magic", it's for sleep, which is completely different than slow or paralyze, where you would increase MND for potency on these (when resistance ain't an issue).

Obi's improve damage but also improve magic accuracy.

Sleep is enfeebling magic. Obi's don't provide any magic accuracy. You'd be far better off with the accuracy granted from the stat bonus on either Penitent's rope or Witch's sash for enfeebling magic of all kinds.

hes right obi's do not give magic acc, was proven on tests also.
ill post them if need to
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-23 20:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Post away. Tested on what ? Weather affect accuracy, that's 100% certains. Same goes for day. Now if we just read the Obi description : "Gain full benefit of Darksday/dark weather bonuses". Bonuses being in plural, so I read potency and accuracy there.

Never tried to compare obi vs INT+5 though. Why ? It would require around 1,000 casts to have be able to notice a difference and I'm too lazy for that :d

Not to mention you'd have to :

-Find a mob which resist sleep partially
-Wait at least 30/45 seconds after each sleep (to clearly separate full resist from half duration resist)
-Could only be done 1hr/day, or when weather is up.
-Repeat the test at least 2x3 time (no obi, p.rope, anrin obi) + doublecheck.

If anyone did that, then post :<
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-23 20:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

http://robonosto.blogspot.com/search/label/magic%20resist%20analysis

when i get back from work in a few hours ill post the other links to the tests but im busyish atm

it was tested on weather effect accuracy, and with few thousand casts noticed no accuracy bonus.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-23 20:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read this already and yet it's still unclear.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-23 21:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh the other tests he posted are a lot more clear, but id still trust these since there isn't rly any other tests about it with a high amount of casts.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-23 21:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well all "decent" BLM knows that blog off course :p

Now one sure thing, as his conclusion said :

Quote:
I concede the possibility of weather/day possibly confounding the results. But these effects do not process 100% for the magic damage calculation, so if they also apply to magic accuracy, the effect is probably not 100% either (without obis). The effect may also be weak and hard to detect, if it even exists at all; if this is the case, it is not a serious confounding threat.

(I don't see any data to corroborate this though. You can perform some regression diagnostics to check for omitted explanatory variables, too.)

Day/weather bonus without obi already proc (something like ~1/4). Then concerning an eventual M.Acc bonus versus 5INT, it would be almost impossible to detect as I said (and as he said). In a such case, I'd rather "might" lose 5INT to get the weather/day bonus and use obi, trusting SE with the description of the item.

But we all agree that without obi, weather/day plays a role in magic accuracy. That's why i would find completely illogical the fact that obi only affect potency and not accuracy.

Anyway in dynamis my sleep resist rate is extremely low, and when I get resisted usually, RDM does too :/ (mobs starting to build resistance, like some bees in dyna tav) so it's not a big deal. Spellcast handle my macro change also, so it's not like switching to anrin obi takes more time or annoys me.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-23 21:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

no way to tell without an insane amount of testing if it does tho, could say anything gives magic accuracy from eyeballing.

he just says there is possible accuracy bonus from it.

this makes sense with what we know about how the dmg bonus only works a % of the time, so one would think this applys to accuracy also, but proving it is different.

id rather stick to 5int when casting enfeeble, at least i know for sure its doing something.

but if it does give an accuracy bonus, im sure it would do more than 5 int would do for resist rates.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-23 21:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:

Day/weather bonus without obi already proc (something like ~1/4).

Acutally, after considerable soloing (from 50-75 and beyond) before I got my sea obis, I would say that Day bonus procs about 15-20% of the time (eyeballing it) and weather bonus procs the same. On days/weathers where it affects the other (meaning casting Burst on a bat pet in Newton during earth weather on thunderday) the proc rate of resists/bonus increases more for the off-day or off-weather (thunder magic on earthday or earth weather) than on-day or on-weather (same as above).

I believe that off-day/weather effect M.Acc a lot more than some people admit, but I don't think on-day/weather helps with M.Acc at all. Thats why I try to not cast Freeze 2 on Puddings on/during Fire Weather/Fireday in Mount Z.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-23 22:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Antipika said:

Day/weather bonus without obi already proc (something like ~1/4).

Acutally, after considerable soloing (from 50-75 and beyond) before I got my sea obis, I would say that Day bonus procs about 15-20% of the time (eyeballing it) and weather bonus procs the same. .

I did test in temenos with 1000 cure, lost my results but it was somewhere 25%. (I first though it was 10%, that's why I did tests, then I saw it was much more important, that's all I wanted to know at the time (long ago)). Might go there and retry. It was double weather tho, but I don't think double weather would affect proc rate.

Quote:
On days/weathers where it affects the other (meaning casting Burst on a bat pet in Newton during earth weather on thunderday) the proc rate of resists/bonus increases more for the off-day or off-weather (thunder magic on earthday or earth weather) than on-day or on-weather (same as above).

I believe that off-day/weather effect M.Acc a lot more than some people admit, but I don't think on-day/weather helps with M.Acc at all. Thats why I try to not cast Freeze 2 on Puddings on/during Fire Weather/Fireday in Mount Z

I try not to also, same goes during earth weather (happen often in Mount Z), i avoid burst/thunder. Now concerning the theory that weather would grants magic accuracy penalty only and no bonus, I just doubt it work that way. The fact is our magic accuracy (with good blm equip) is pretty high already, especially on "lesser" mobs. That's why it's way harder for us to notice any magic accuracy increase. In the other end we tend to notice quickly when our spells starts to fail :/

Would need to try nuking in gimp stuff and compare. I really wish we could use a "dummy" to test magic lol :/
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-04-24 03:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont cast AM2 of opp element on those days either but has nothing to do with macc. I get resisted about the same. Its more like that damn -dmg procing throughing everything off almost as much as a half resist would since i barely overkill with AM2 thunder4 blizz4. I only half trust SEs english descriptions. Its not like they don't mislead or are balantly wrong. See pre-update smn merit bps. As far as penitents... psh witch sash. Besides no where in game does it say macc the plural easily could be for mean bonus for day AND bonus for weather. Oh and news flash wiki can be wrong... especially on hard to prove stuff even after its been proven.

But as for the actual topic who cares anymore after allakazam shamed them with that article they supposedly fixed. Odd how it takes something like that or getting in the news for them to fix things that hurt players but they always wanting to "fix" things to screw us over
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-04-24 08:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I just dont understand why sleep duration would be cut in half. Dont make sense.
Maybe they will explain why.

/comfort to all casters